daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 26th, 2008, 01:20 AM   #41
khoojyh
No more world war !!!

Location: Eastern Garden,City of Twins, Merlion City, Good Little Bay
Likes (Received): 51

i think the bullet train for KL-Spore might not achieve expected traffic volume if its really get build in 5 years. most of Malaysian citizen do not much rely on train during travel long distance.
khoojyh no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 26th, 2008, 06:45 AM   #42
ddes

Likes (Received): 935

Malaysians and Singaporeans, as well as tourists from both sides would probably be tempted to use the high speed rail since the trip will only take 90mins as opposed to hours and hours of driving and coaching...

Or maybe they will just fly.
ddes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2008, 11:12 AM   #43
elfabyanos
Dracuna Macoides

Likes (Received): 5

It's been cancelled anyway. The details are in the other thread.
elfabyanos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2008, 01:54 PM   #44
nazrey

Likes (Received): 11281

Singapore-Kunming Rail Link Project Making Progress
October 22, 2008 16:14 PM

PUTRAJAYA, Oct 22 (Bernama) -- The Singapore-Kunming Rail Link (SKRL) project is making progress despite the economic difficulties in the region, Transport Minister Datuk Ong Tee Keat disclosed today.

He said there had been much commitment, cooperation and assistance from SKRL member countries in constructing their respective missing links and upgrading the existing SKRL route.

"The participating member countries have completed the feasibility studies of the missing links and spur lines while construction has been completed for certain stretches," he told reporters after chairing the 10th Special Working Group Meeting on the SKRL, near here.

As for Malaysia, the double tracking projects between Ipoh-Padang Besar and Seremban-Gemas were under construction and scheduled for completion in 2013 and 2012 respectively as planned, he said.

Ong said the member countries would focus on the missing links which included Poipet-Sisophon and Bat Deung-Loc Ninh (Cambodia), Thanaleng-Vientiane and Thaknek-Mugia (Laos), Three Pagoda Pass-Thanphyuzayat (Myanmar), Aranyaprathet-Poipet and Namtok-Three Pagoda Pass (Thailand), Ho Chi Minh City-Loc Ninh and Vung Ang-Tan Ap-Mu Gia (Vietnam) and Yuxi-Mengzi and Dali-Ruili (China).

Ong said the member countries were aware of the changes in variables for the construction cost following the increase in the price of construction materials.

"We did not set the deadline for the project as we are in no hurry and we did not want to dictate member countries on the completion schedule as each country has its own challenges."

He said the main benefits of SKRL projects included savings from the modal shift of heavy freight and container traffic by road to rail, supporting economic development and deepening economic integration in parts of Indo-China and the Asean sub-region corridor.

It also enabled cost-effective and efficient rail transport within the Asean region and the region and China, strengthening of transport linkages in Asean and improving the living standards of the people throughout the region, he said.

To another question, Ong who is also the new MCA president, said the party would continue to combat money politics even after the just-concluded party elections.

-- BERNAMA
nazrey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2008, 01:56 PM   #45
nazrey

Old October 22nd, 2008, 11:45 PM   #46
nazrey

Malaysian part of S'pore-Kunming Rail Link on track
By Presenna Nambiar Published: 2008/10/23

CONSTRUCTION work on the Malaysian portion of the Singapore-Kunming Rail Link (SKRL) is in progress and will be completed according to plan.

"We are pleased to inform that the Ipoh-Padang Besar and Seremban-Gemas electrified double-tracking projects are under construction and are complying with the timeframe set," Transport Minister Datuk Ong Tee Keat told reporters after chairing the 10th Special Working Group Meeting on the SKRL in Putrajaya yesterday.

The Ipoh-Padang Besar double-track line is due for completion in 2013, while that for Seremban-Gemas will be completed in 2012.

"We are mindful of the changing perimeters (due to the increase in construction materials and global economic slowdown), but our focus remains on the follow-up action needed in the missing links," Ong said.

The SKRL project spans eight countries, and is currently in various stages of development in each country.

"We are pleased to note that all member countries are making progress toward implementation of this SKRL project," said Ong.

"The participating member countries have completed the feasibility studies of the missing links and spur lines and construction has been completed for certain stretches," he added.

Ong said member countries are satisfied with the support given by financial institutions such as the Asian Development Bank and consultants such as the Korean International Cooperation Agency (Koica) towards implementing this project.

Meanwhile, part of the discussions at yesterday's meeting was for a timeframe to be set for completion for the project.

He said no timeframe has been set for the completion of the SKRL project.

The SKRL initiative was mooted to support economic development and deepen economic integration in parts of Indo-China and Asean sub-region corridor as well as strengthen transport linkages in Asean and between China.

The project was first proposed in the Fifth Asean Summit in December 1995.

"I believe the close cooperation among member countries will expedite the realisation of the SKRL in the near future," Ong said.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 05:04 AM   #47
nazrey

Schedule needed for Singapore-Kunming link
Thursday October 23, 2008 TheStar

PUTRAJAYA: Malaysia wants member countries to agree on a specific time frame for the completion of the Singapore-Kunming rail link, which has been in the works since 1994.

Transport Minister Datuk Ong Tee Keat said he conveyed this message at the 10th Special Working Group Meeting yesterday.

“We want a specific time frame to be finalised by the various countries.

“This is because we have managed to resolve some of the problems plaguing the project, namely the missing link in certain places.

“The countries where the missing links are located have completed feasibility studies and construction in certain areas. So, we now need a timetable for the entire project,” he told reporters yesterday.

Ong declined to elaborate on the time frame Malaysia had in mind, saying that it would be unfair to impose its timetable on others.

“It’s not 2015 although our double-tracking projects from Seremban to Gemas and Ipoh to Padang Besar will be completed by 2012 and 2013 respectively,” he said.

Ong said Malaysia was mindful of the impact of rising costs of construction materials on the project when it called for a timetable.

The 5,382km line will pass through seven Asean countries €“ Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam €“ before linking up with Kunming in the south of China. It is believed that some 550km are still missing.

Ong said member countries would now embark on a series of promotion campaigns to attract investments in the project.

“We will host the next promotion scheduled for next year,” he said.

Ong, the new MCA president, said the party leadership would act quickly on any report of money politics.

“Every party has to deal with its own problems. The most important thing is whether we are willing to go all out to act on money politics or other complaints,” he said when commenting on a statement by Umno supreme council member Datuk Seri Dr Rais Yatim that Umno should look towards MCA and Gerakan in dealing with money politics.

Later in Port Klang, Ong said he would meet the Prime Minister as soon as possible to discuss MCA’s future and the fate of Cabinet ministers who failed to be elected during the party polls over the weekend.
Old October 25th, 2008, 08:38 PM   #48
LondonBVE

Likes (Received): 0

Hope everything will goes well but somehow I feel that it won't be nicely done given that it just mainly connecting all the tracks together, not upgrading them I believe since I see no mentioning of upgrading of former tracks in any articles, so I doubt trains is able to travel at 160km/h. I wonder how they double tracking and electrifying the track too? In my own views, if the track is not double tracked, unelectrified and not capable of running above 120km/h (expressway speed) for average speed, I find it useless. I hope that once it is completed they will have plans to upgrade it to Standard Rail and introduce HSR on some section of the line as long as it is feasible such as Singapore to Bangkok.
Old October 27th, 2008, 06:51 AM   #49
Simon91

Likes (Received): 241

I'm curious what are the plans and prospects for Singapore phase of the rail. Will KTMB just leave it like it is or finally make a decent tracks? And when?

Last edited by Simon91; October 27th, 2008 at 07:14 AM.
Simon91 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2008, 06:57 AM   #50
TWK90
Infrastructure

Likes (Received): 3171

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonBVE View Post
Hope everything will goes well but somehow I feel that it won't be nicely done given that it just mainly connecting all the tracks together, not upgrading them I believe since I see no mentioning of upgrading of former tracks in any articles, so I doubt trains is able to travel at 160km/h. I wonder how they double tracking and electrifying the track too? In my own views, if the track is not double tracked, unelectrified and not capable of running above 120km/h (expressway speed) for average speed, I find it useless. I hope that once it is completed they will have plans to upgrade it to Standard Rail and introduce HSR on some section of the line as long as it is feasible such as Singapore to Bangkok.
At least on Malaysian side, we are electrifying and double tracking our line from Padang Besar - Gemas to enable 160 km/h operation....
TWK90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2008, 06:58 PM   #51
LondonBVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon91 View Post
I'm curious what are the plans and prospects for Singapore phase of the rail. Will KTMB just leave it like it is or finally make a decent tracks? And when?
A few days ago I went past Tanjong Pagar and they seem to completed their change of tracks, rebuilding of the station entrance and fixing the big portholes at their carpark. Back in February when I was going back to Malaysia, they were still replacing the track and if I am not wrong, they seem to be changing the tracks in Singapore part but no double-tracking or electrifying can be seen only new tracks and ballast which looks very nice and sturdy. It is not easy to electrified and double track here considering that they need to have discussion with LTA especially overhead wires and land ownership. Though what I can predict is they will either leave it single tracked or electrified with third rail.
Old October 28th, 2008, 06:10 AM   #52
Simon91

Maybe LTA could finally reconsider their policy. I really hope they make KCR-like connection. The current is simply inadequate.
Old October 29th, 2008, 01:29 PM   #53
Alexriga
BANNED

Likes (Received): 183

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddes View Post
I am kind of disappointed that this rail link isn't high speed railway.
Isn't it freight line?
Alexriga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 03:39 PM   #54
LondonBVE

Nope it is a mixed usage railway that runs on narrow gauge though it can be a new of its kind. High Speed Narrow Gauge Railway travelling at 160 - 200 km/h. It is possible though considering that Australia broke the fastest narrow gauge railway record at 210 km/h and now operates the fastest narrow gauge railway at 160km/h.

160km/h seems to be a very good speed for two things, third rail and narrow gauge. Hmm... maybe I think we will have something similar to Eurostar back in 2003 in UK.
Old October 29th, 2008, 04:02 PM   #55
Simon91

Hell yeah.. Hope they build something alike
Old November 28th, 2008, 01:40 PM   #56
Jaroslaw

Likes (Received): 80

Upgrades are crucial... the line from Sisophon through Battambang to Phnom Penh in Cambodia no longer has passanger service, and based on personal observation, the track is so dilapidated that the token freight service could be abolished at any time.
Jaroslaw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 07:01 PM   #57
peromyvi

Likes (Received): 1

Sigh such a slow progress to link up the missing links. Dono when can we take a train from Singapore into China.
peromyvi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2009, 07:01 PM   #58
nazrey

YTL Hopes For Bullet Train Project To Materialise
June 30, 2009 23:00 PM

KUALA LUMPUR, June 30 (Bernama) -- Conglomerate YTL Corporation Bhd hopes that the government will pursue the proposed RM8 billion bullet train project between Kuala Lumpur and Singapore given its potential economic spin-offs.

Managing director Tan Sri Francis Yeoh Sock Ping said he wanted to see the project taking shape even if YTL is not involved.

"As a Malaysian citizen, I would like to see this project between Kuala Lumpur and Singapore done even if YTL does not build it," Yeoh said at a media briefing at the Invest Malaysia conference here Tuesday.

"It does not matter if the government can build it and anybody can bid for it, but I think this is a project that must be done," he said.

The project proposal came from YTL but it was cancelled due to significant costs to be borne by the government.

It is expected to cut travel time between Kuala Lumpur and Singapore to 90 minutes.

"It is a relevant project. There is a lot of economic value to the high-speed train," Yeoh said.

He said that high-speed trains in other countries like Taiwan (between Taipei and Kaohsiung) and Britain have been successful in connecting people and helping to generate business activities.

"Japan also, how would that country be powerful as an industrial force if not because of the communication. They connected the people in such a powerful way, the high-speed trains," Yeoh said.

"So, I hope this kind of project can materialise soon," he said.

Yeoh said YTL would continue to support the government, adding that the announcement of the liberalisation of foreign ownership will help to boost economic growth.

-- BERNAMA
Old June 30th, 2009, 10:10 PM   #59
nazrey

YTL: KL-S'pore bullet train project economically viable
By Azlan Abu Bakar
Published: 2009/07/01

DIVERSIFIED group YTL Corp Bhd (4677) said it still believes the high-speed bullet train linking Kuala Lumpur to neighbouring Singapore is an economically viable project and hopes the government will reconsider its implementation.

Its managing director Tan Sri Francis Yeoh said the project is important to further build and strengthen the country's economy. It can also help attract foreign investors to the country.

"We hope the government will continue with the high-speed bullet train project for the sake of the country and the economy," he told a media briefing on the sidelines of Invest Malaysia 2009 in Kuala Lumpur yesterday.

"Indeed, we don't mind if we are not involved in the project as long as the government or other companies are interested in realising the project," he added.
The plan for a high-speed train between the two cities, spanning about 300km, was proposed in the late 1990s.

The project was shelved in 2008 by the government due to the high cost of building it. This was based on the financial model that was submitted by YTL.

The proposed RM8 billion bullet train project is said to be able to cut travelling time between Kuala Lumpur and Singapore to 90 minutes compared with existing trains which takes about seven hours.

Yeoh said he is optimistic that the present government would reconsider the project's implementation and put it on the urgent list.

"China, Japan, the UK, Europe and Taiwan are among the places that have successfully implemented a high-speed train system. Malaysia should have it too in efforts to become a developed country," he said.
Old July 1st, 2009, 07:49 AM   #60
v_florin

Likes (Received): 474

Wouldn't track doubling and electrification help? (and be cheaper)

If they could cut the time in half, like on the northern sector, it could work, no? 3.5 hours between KL and Singapore is quite reasonable and on par with plane travel if you factor in the check-in times, etc.
v_florin no está en línea   Reply With Quote