daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Philippine Forums > Around the Philippines > Transport, Urban Planning and Infrastructure > Urban Planning

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Panay has several dialects. Which of the following do you speak? Tick all that applies.
Kiniray-a 13 54.17%
Hiligaynon 18 75.00%
Akeanon 4 16.67%
Ati 1 4.17%
Sulodnon 0 0%
Caluyanon 0 0%
Ragatnon 0 0%
Cuyunin 0 0%
Malaynon 1 4.17%
Onkan 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 24th, 2005, 12:16 PM   #1
chymera00
Strangely Normal

Likes (Received): 201

Antique and Guimaras Provinces - Compiled Threads

Guimaras Island
Home to the Sweetest Mangoes in the World

Guimaras is the youngest and smallest of the six component provinces of the Western Visayas Region (Region 6). Known as the "Mango Country", Guimaras Island has 8,000 hectares of mango orchards managed by corporations and individual growers. The province's mango orchards produce the best mango variety certified as pest-free by the United States Department of Agriculture.

Declared as a full-pledged province on May 22,1992, Guimaras has also been proclaimed as the "island to watch" due to unspoiled natural beauty as for its potential.

The province is composed of five municipalities, namely: Jordan, the provincial capital; Buenavista; Nueva Valencia; and the newly created Sibunag and San Lorenzo. Guimaras occupies about 3% of the region's total land area.

The fastest route to the province is by means of a pump boat which is about 10-15 minutes ride from Iloilo City

FACTS AND FIGURES
Land Area : 604.6 sq. km (2004)
No. of Municipalities: 5 (As of September, 2003)
No. of Barangays: 98 (As of September, 2003)
Total Population: 141,450 (As of May 1, 2000
census)
Population Growth Rate: 2.43% (1995-2000)
Income Class: Fourth
Consumer Price Index: 120.3 (2004)
Inflation Rate: 6.4 (2004)
No. of Tertiary Schools: 2 (SY 2003-2004)
No. of Licensed Hospitals: 1 (2003)
Telephone Loads: 829 (2003)
Telephone Density: 0.6 per 100 population (2003)
No. of Elementary Schools:
Public: 99 (SY 2003-2004)
Private: 4 (SY 2003-2004)
No. of Secondary Schools:
Public : 15 (SY 2003-2004)
Private: 3 (SY 2003-2004)
No. of Resorts: 25 (2003)
No. of Motor Vehicles Registered: 4,612 (2004)
No. of Establishments (3rd Qtr. 2004)
Business Name Registration: 48
Water Transport Facilities:
123 Pump Boats
5 Ferry Boats
1 Roll on-Roll off (RoRo)

Last edited by chymera00; September 25th, 2005 at 09:35 AM.
chymera00 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old September 24th, 2005, 12:19 PM   #2
wecky
CENTRALIAN BY HEART

Likes (Received): 26

wow ... new thread for Guimaras Island.

Chy, first visitor ako di ... hehehe.
wecky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2005, 12:26 PM   #3
chymera00
Strangely Normal

Since most infos about Guimaras is posted on the Iloilo City and Province Thread due to its cultural and geographical proximity to Iloilo. I thought of making a new thread about Guimaras since it is a seperate province after all.

Guimaras is just awakening, its potentials are far too underutilized at the moment being one of the poorest provinces in our country. Its not good because Guimaras is very rich in resources, thus its richness needs to be promoted so people will know of it and they can possibly help in the development of Guimaras Island

I'll be posting some pics from time to time .... Enjoy the new thread
Detourista | Explore Iloilo | Ambot-ah!
Old September 24th, 2005, 12:49 PM   #4
wecky
CENTRALIAN BY HEART

here's my pics contribution for Guimaras ...

Old September 24th, 2005, 12:50 PM   #5
wecky
CENTRALIAN BY HEART

RAYMEN's RESORT - ALUBIHOD

Old September 24th, 2005, 12:51 PM   #6
wecky
CENTRALIAN BY HEART

Old September 24th, 2005, 12:51 PM   #7
wecky
CENTRALIAN BY HEART

Old September 24th, 2005, 02:35 PM   #8
Sinjin P.
Lingkod-Bayan

Likes (Received): 506

Wow, I really thought that the world's sweetest mangoes are coming from Cebu but I found out that they're from Guimaras.. I tried tasting one last week and it was really very sweet.
Old September 24th, 2005, 02:58 PM   #9
dancethingy

Likes (Received): 4

SWEETNESS
dancethingy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2005, 06:41 AM   #10
ryanr
Registered non-User

Likes (Received): 13

Sweet, indeed Its also the only place in the Philippines that can export mangoes to the US, since it is approved by US agricultural authorities.
ryanr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2005, 08:17 AM   #11
marites4

Likes (Received): 1

Can you tell us more of things to do while in Guimarras and can you reccomend any inns or hotels.
marites4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2005, 08:26 AM   #12
Skyblade
Chasing the skies

Likes (Received): 4

Wahoo a thread dedicated to Guimaras!!!!

Well, I've only been to Alibihod and the Raymen's Resort does seem like a nice place to stay.

I have some pics from my trip back in 03 and I'll make sure to scan em when I get the chance. XD
Skyblade no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2005, 09:43 AM   #13
chymera00
Strangely Normal

Things to Do and See in Guimaras...

Historical
Buenavista Wharf / McArthur’s Wharf
It was built by Lt. Douglas McArthur in 1903.

Punta Blanco & Camp Jossman
(Tinadtaran, Buenavista). Target range and military camp constructed by the United States Army in 1903.

Natural
Costa Aguada Island Resort

(Sibunag). Located at the crocodile-shaped Inampulugan Island, it has clean white sand beaches, a mini zoo, jungle park. Ideal for horseback riding, snorkeling.

Nagarao Island Resort
(Sibunag). Located at the southern tip of Guimaras; surrounded with sandy beach and growing corals; has 20 cottages, a restaurant and a bar for cold drinks, a fresh water swimming pool. Offers island hopping tours, sailing, excursion, and snorkeling in neighboring islands.

Isla Naburot Resort

(Sinapsapan, Jordan). The island has rich colorful marine life, visible and exotic sealife; special berth for lovers; tranquil hideaway for soothing tense nerves; has 7 native-styled cottages; ideal for fishing, boating, swimming, snorkeling, island hopping, and scuba diving.

Raymen Beach Cottages
(Alubihod, Nueva Valencia). White sand beach and crystal clear water; ideal for swimming, sunbathing.

Baras Beach Resort

(Bgy. Lawi, Jordan). White sand beaches ideal for swimming, boating, and windsurfing; offers a hidden lagoon.

Villa Encarnacion Mountain Resort
(Bgy. Zaldivar, Buenavista). Swimming pool; topmost part offers a commanding view of the whole place.
spacer
Free Lance Beach Cottages
(Poblacion, Nueva Valencia). Ideal for swimming and sunbathing.

Enrico Beach
(Zaldivar, Buenavista). Stretch of white sand beach; abundant supply of cool spring water.

Sunrise Beach
(San Enrique, Buenavista). One-hectare beach with picnic huts and cottages.

Rumagangrang Beach
(Cabalagnan, Nueva Valencia). Offers a clean beach and coves.

Paradise Cove
(Sinapsapan, Jordan). Has a beach house and beach hut.

Tatlong Pulo Resort
(Tando Area, Unisan Island). Some of the diving sites in Guimaras.

Dream Land Beach Huts
(Nauway Island). Features the beautiful natural rock formations at the shoreline of the beach.

Abelardo’s Beach Resort
(Buenavista). Has expansive shoreline and clear water ideal for swimming and snorkeling.

Carmel by the Sea Resort
(Buenavista). Features golden sand beach, clear water ideal for bathing, swimming, and water sports.

Villa Fe Daliran Cave and Summer Resort
(Brgy. Old Poblacion, Buenavista). It is accessible by jeepney or tricycle from Buenavista Wharf in 10 to 15 minutes.
Suli Cave (Sitio Boro-Boro, Dagsaan, Buenavista). This cave is located along the shore passing through different holes. If you explore further, the holes will lead you to the scenic lake.
spacer
Hurot-Hurot Cave
(Brgy. Espinosa). It has two openings, 1 ˝ x2 meters and 2x1 meters. It is 50 meters more or less in length.

Higante Cave
Located at a lot owned by Mr. & Mrs. Nemesio Galve in Bgy. Espinosa, Jordan. It has 3 entrances, 3x4 ft. wide, 2x3 ft. wide, 2x3 ft. wide. It is 200 meters long more or less and could be found on top of the hill. Nipa huts are available with a good glimpse of Iloilo Strait. Has an abundant of stalagmites and stalactites.

Capitoguan Cave
Found at Bgy. Balcon Maravilla. A big cave full of bats and a good source of guano, a fertilizer for plants.

Buho Ramirez Cave
(Bgy. Lawi). It is a small cave but the entire entrance is going down more or less about 40-50 ft. deep. It has 3 openings with gushing water. Studies show that it could be a good source of spring water that can supply 2 barangays with 429 households.

Religious
Trappist Monastery (Bgy. San Miguel, Jordan)

The only trappist monastery in the Philippines run by the order of Cistersians of the Strict Observance.

Balaan Bukid Shrine (Bgy. Hoskyn, Jordan).

Where a large cross and a chapel were constructed on top of a mountain. Offers a scenic view of Iloilo City across Guimaras Strait.

Navalas Church (Navalas, Buenavista)
The oldest existing Roman Catholic Church in the province of Guimaras that has survived the ravages of time.

Navalas Church
(Navalas, Buenavista) The oldest existing Roman Catholic church in the province of Guimaras that has survived the ravages of time.

Man-Made
Roca Encantada
(Buenavista). Summer house of the Lopez family built in 1910 on top of a huge rock.

Lopezville
(Buenavista). A panoramic vacation house of the Lopez family; offers a picturesque view of Iloilo City.

Good Shepherd's Fold Academy (Buenavista)
45-hectare orphanage; offers high school, vocational training, practical arts, and sciences; built in 1946.

SEAFDEC Research Station
(Bgy. Magamay, Nueva Valencia, Guimaras). Where different kinds of fish are studied for the improvement of their species.
spacer
Festivals
Ang Pagtaltal sa Guimaras

A Lenten presentation staged by the townspeople of Jordan patterned after Oberammergau in South Bavaria, Germany. The final act of the play shows Jesus being taken off and laid on his mother’s lap. The trip is climaxed by a visit to Balaan Bukid (Holy Mountain). It is a pilgrimage site for the Catholics.

Paraw Regatta

The Iloilo-Guimaras Paraw Regatta is open to any sea-worthy paraw solely dependent on the wind for its power for motion, subject to the specific requirements and qualifications of each category. Held every 1st Sunday of March.

Mountain Bike Festival
A multi-event team sports (mountain biking, coastal and mountain trekking, a call to rediscover, and adventure). Guimaras Mountain Bike Association (GUIMBA) spearheads Governor’s Cup Mountain Bike and Downhill Competitions. The mission is to promote bicycling as a sport, environmentalism as a way of life, and Guimaras as an ecotourism destination.

Manggahan Sa Guimaras Festival
An identity festival commemorating the annual provincehood anniversary every 22nd day of May depicting the cultural heritage of the province with emphasis on the promotion of Guimaras as “mango country”. A week-long celebration showcasing Guimaras products, cuisine, and services. Highlighted with the Search for Miss Guimaras and Miss Manggahan.

Special Interest
Diving
The Small Island Agricultural Support Services Program (SMISLE) took effort to under water world in order to identify the best of the island's sites for diving. They found out that most of the cora reefs were destroyed by dynamite fishing, but with the joint effort of the vigilant people in the coastal areas and the Bantay Dagat, Guimaras will have a lot of potential areas for diving.

Mountainbiking
Despite being located on a flat coastal plain with few of the terrain features most people associate with extreme cycling, loilo City is home to one of the country's most dedicated mountainbiking groups, the Iloilo Mountain Bike Association (IMBA). Their principal playground is Guimaras, a rugged 580sq. km formation of coral rock just across Iloilo harbour, a 20 min. boat ride from the city. Guimaras is noted for plantations of mango trees, locally believed to produce the finest fruit in the country, and the excellent beaches dotting the outer shore. The island is also home to one of the country's wildest mountain bike races.

Last edited by chymera00; September 25th, 2005 at 10:18 AM.
Old September 25th, 2005, 09:46 AM   #14
chymera00
Strangely Normal

yeah ... mangoes in Guimaras are pretty sweet.

You can catch a glimpse of how expansive the Mango Farms are in Guimaras when you take a plane trip from Iloilo to Cebu. They're all lined up like a massive grid ...

Last edited by chymera00; September 25th, 2005 at 10:10 AM.
Old September 25th, 2005, 09:57 AM   #15
chymera00
Strangely Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by marites4
Can you tell us more of things to do while in Guimarras and can you reccomend any inns or hotels.
Of course there's water activities like Swimming, Snorkeling, Boating, Diving, Sailing etc... You can also do hiking and a bit of mountain biking or 'paintball-ing' or visit the historical and religious sites in the area

($200/day)

Raymen Beach Resort is very popular and it is where most tourists especially foreigners go, beside it is Puerto del Mar which has a smaller shore line but it offers more sites to see like nice landscapings, caves, marine life ... You could hike up Balaan Bukid (A hill with a big white cross on top) and see a picturesque view of Iloilo City. If you're the adventurous type you could go to Yato Island, and camp there for a day or two (The place is not developed - no water and electricity). Or you could explore the area and find hidden streams and small waterfalls (I'm not telling you where they are but I visited it, and it was really nice)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyblade
Wahoo a thread dedicated to Guimaras!!!!

Well, I've only been to Alibihod and the Raymen's Resort does seem like a nice place to stay.

I have some pics from my trip back in 03 and I'll make sure to scan em when I get the chance. XD
Please do ... I'll be posting my pictures of Guimaras here as well

Last edited by chymera00; September 25th, 2005 at 10:16 AM.
Old September 25th, 2005, 10:32 AM   #16
chymera00
Strangely Normal

Puerto Del Mar is a 34-hectare nature-favored domain, and a popular picnic ground for visitors/tourists. A temporary anchorage named "Mooring Cleat" serves as picnic center where day tourists hold simple feast under the shades of several bamboo kiosks or directly under the heat of the sun. Puerto del Mar keep ample stocks of equipment for ball games.

Within Puerto del Mar, are three (3) coves which diverse holidays activities, one cove serves as the point where one could look out a golden sea at sunset. The other cove which was at the center of the resort, serves as training center for local maritime school where they perform their Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS). Serving as ramps bridge between coves are sturdy bamboos.

There's a spot here where you can dive into open sea, it is about 10-15feet deep, so don't swim here if you dont know how to swim. But luckily, I can. You can see all sorts of marine like life big starfishes, sea urchins, corals, fishes n stuff:

They had a mini zoo ... the whole place had weird insects like the big blue ants and flies ...

You must cross a swamp before going there:
Old September 25th, 2005, 07:43 PM   #17
marites4

Likes (Received): 1

thanks for the info.
marites4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2005, 06:36 AM   #18
ThisFire
kumusta

Likes (Received): 0

beautiful pictures and island and of course, beautiful mangoes. anybody got a knife?

support Filipino businesses, industries and products first because nobody else can really do it except us

Tierra adorada, Hija del sol de Oriente
tomasinos, tomasinas
spanish. always the official unofficial third language of the philippines.
to move forward and have a future, you must know and be proud of the history and past
ThisFire no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2005, 02:27 PM   #19
chymera00
Strangely Normal

Old September 26th, 2005, 02:35 PM   #20
lex_99

Likes (Received): 188

Nagarao Island Resort is my favorite destination in Guimaras and is one of the best but unfortunately one of the most expensive also. Theres so many things to do in this island... It is owned by Martin Stummer, a German national who is a.k.a "the island king" in Germany (as featured in a major TV network daw in Germany). The most famous visitors is this island are the members of the German National Philharmonic Orchestra who visited the island bout 6 years ago. Hope somebody can post a pix... chy? hehe

Tags
antique, bacolod, boracay, iloilo, negros island, visayas, western visayas