daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 18th, 2014, 10:34 AM   #581
Ji-Ja-Jot
Used Register

Likes (Received): 27257

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkantang View Post
When cranes cpming down?
Somewhat around 2016, I guess. The Lightwell on the roof to the main concert hall is still under construction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximalist View Post
As for the bottom, well, it should have been torn down
Not possible -> It's the Kaispeicher A and is listed under monument conservation.
Ji-Ja-Jot no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 19th, 2014, 06:35 PM   #582
maja88

Likes (Received): 1274

The glass is fantastic in reality! Never saw something like this before.

mb92, Ji-Ja-Jot, Letniczka liked this post
maja88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2014, 06:47 PM   #583
Trex-md
In Reason We Trust

Likes (Received): 162

Wow this is so different it's cool.
Old February 19th, 2014, 06:58 PM   #584
FabriFlorence

Likes (Received): 393

IMHO One of the best opera house in the world!!!
FabriFlorence no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2014, 07:40 PM   #585
maja88

Likes (Received): 1274

Yes, very different

aarhusforever, Ji-Ja-Jot, mb92, Letniczka liked this post
maja88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2014, 08:31 PM   #586
Ji-Ja-Jot
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by maja88 View Post
The glass is fantastic in reality! Never saw something like this before.
The main problem is, that you cannot capture it on pictures. Its amazing from distance on a sunny day, when a little cloud passes the sun. The white reflection on the window-bubbles passes the cladding like the whitecap on a wave. A great view Point for this phenomenon is the Argentinia-Bridge
https://maps.google.de/maps?q=Argent...ed=0CAkQ_AUoAQ
or the bridecrossing of the Breslauerer Straße and the Köhlbrand
https://maps.google.de/maps?f=q&sour...k&cd=1&spell=1
(view points shoulb be in the south of the hall)

Last edited by Ji-Ja-Jot; February 19th, 2014 at 08:43 PM.
Old February 26th, 2014, 09:08 AM   #587
Letniczka

Pics hosted on google's picasa.

Back in Hamburg, stayed at a hotel one night and discovered this there:

Elbphilharmonie as seen from the Holiday Inn, the eastern part of HafenCity in the foreground.
Some preparation works, I guess...
Image from Holiday Inn webcam, Hamburg.

June 9th, 2013, 10:37 PM
Originally Posted by Letniczka:
"Chinese in Shanghai must be very rich having 1000+ skyscrapers in their city. That's a sign of stupidity, ugliness, poverty, wisdom, beauty, wealth? They earn round 500€ monthly, people in Hamburg 4000. Btw, after a survey among European business people, the most ugly city in Europe seems to be Warsaw, Poland.
Agree, a terrible city indeed. So, just to underline this fact, they still rise more skyscrapers there, one by one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronpaul View Post
Don't understand why you think Warsaw is so ugly. Yes, some of the recent skyscrapers should have been better but when you consider it was one of the most devastated cities during WW2 it is commendable that they have managed to undertake such a lot of restoration and rebuilding of their heritage. Have you visited there recently? I'm not a great fan of a lot of recent ego-centric designs but I think despite the cost, the Elbe Philharmonic will be an iconic landmark for the great city of Hamburg.
Why you address me and not all the thousands pollsters at TripAdvisor who choose Warsaw as the ugliest big city in Europe?

In reality, every city consists of all its buildings, streets, squares, and not only of a handful selected (photoshoped) prestige objects from the category "best of ... imo".
So, how many buildings there are in Warsaw? I think, probably more than 100,000 knowing that there are about 420,000 objects in Hamburg. Although Warsaw it's a 1,700,000 city too, but several hundreds commieblocks there surely could make such a pretty big difference.
If so, compare please 100,000 houses/buildings in Warsaw and elsewhere. Should you know as well Warsaw and Hamburg very well, compare Warsaw's boroughs Zoliborz, Wola, Mokotow, Praga Pln, Praga Pol., Targowek, Ochota with Hamburg's Bergedorf, Eimsbüttel, St.Pauli, Eppendorf, Blankenese, Winterhude, Rahlstedt.
If never been, then go Street View, choose at least 100 random locations here and there and get an impression this way. Look at the houses' shapes ... have the same dilemma again, as there are over 4,000 streets of Hamburg, not knowing how many in Warsaw though.

War damages?
Man, it's 70 years since then hence enough time to build/rebuild even a few new cities in between. Btw, war damages are always a unique opportunity to build a better city - without all that crazy nimby&co restrictions. Many cities could take a great advantage of it.
Warsaw was not the only one heavy destroyed city, by the way, what many still don't want to understand, accept.

I know Warsaw pretty well, since had a job there, and, after 1990, I'm in China and Poland every year, so can analyze, compare this and that not bad, I think.

The true fact is, that I really don't know a real person who would say Warsaw is a nice place - even the majority of people in Poland not!
Ok, Russians, Ukrainians,... like it, as they traditionally mean that everything west of their homecountries is great, not to mention all the hard core Polish "patriots" here in forum who think it's their damn duty to defend everything painted white-red, even if it's deep black. A kind of their life's work
Quantity over quality - post communist propaganda even - today more than then.

mb92 liked this post
Letniczka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2014, 12:29 AM   #588
Ji-Ja-Jot
Used Register

one of the cranes is gone
Old March 10th, 2014, 07:43 AM   #589
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Likes (Received): 5284

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letniczka View Post

Why you address me and not all the thousands pollsters at TripAdvisor who choose Warsaw as the ugliest big city in Europe?

In reality, every city consists of all its buildings, streets, squares, and not only of a handful selected (photoshoped) prestige objects from the category "best of ... imo".
So, how many buildings there are in Warsaw? I think, probably more than 100,000 knowing that there are about 420,000 objects in Hamburg. Although Warsaw it's a 1,700,000 city too, but several hundreds commieblocks there surely could make such a pretty big difference.
If so, compare please 100,000 houses/buildings in Warsaw and elsewhere. Should you know as well Warsaw and Hamburg very well, compare Warsaw's boroughs Zoliborz, Wola, Mokotow, Praga Pln, Praga Pol., Targowek, Ochota with Hamburg's Bergedorf, Eimsbüttel, St.Pauli, Eppendorf, Blankenese, Winterhude, Rahlstedt.
If never been, then go Street View, choose at least 100 random locations here and there and get an impression this way. Look at the houses' shapes ... have the same dilemma again, as there are over 4,000 streets of Hamburg, not knowing how many in Warsaw though.

War damages?
Man, it's 70 years since then hence enough time to build/rebuild even a few new cities in between. Btw, war damages are always a unique opportunity to build a better city - without all that crazy nimby&co restrictions. Many cities could take a great advantage of it.
Warsaw was not the only one heavy destroyed city, by the way, what many still don't want to understand, accept.

I know Warsaw pretty well, since had a job there, and, after 1990, I'm in China and Poland every year, so can analyze, compare this and that not bad, I think.

The true fact is, that I really don't know a real person who would say Warsaw is a nice place - even the majority of people in Poland not!
Ok, Russians, Ukrainians,... like it, as they traditionally mean that everything west of their homecountries is great, not to mention all the hard core Polish "patriots" here in forum who think it's their damn duty to defend everything painted white-red, even if it's deep black. A kind of their life's work
Quantity over quality - post communist propaganda even - today more than then.
well, pardon the digression, I don't think you understand the scale of destruction in warsaw, no other city in Europe compares to what happened there. 85% destruction of city and 850,000 killed, not to mention all libraries burned and most of art treasures stolen and after all that Poland was re-occupied and plundered again by Soviets and any surviving capital was expropriated. Even people who wanted to rebuild their property in Warsaw could not for ideological reasons. So where was the money to come from to rebuild warsaw post-war, tell me?

In consideration of that and even without warsaw is a very fascinating city with many rough edges still, but more and more stunningly beautiful scenes. The most dramatic changes I have witnessed from 2008 (first time i was there since 1994) and then in 2013, amazing changes.

Most frustrating thing about Warsaw although it has changed dramatically with recent reforms, is the rampant nimbyism in Poland/warsaw where every project even those without any flaw is blocked by some fool or group of fools. Poles have sadly learned to resist everything even what's good for them, because they suspect it's a trick.

Anyway, I came here to admire hamburg's opera house, would love to see interior some day.

Warsaw Post-War Reconstruction to Present

Last edited by Urbanista1; March 10th, 2014 at 07:56 AM.
Urbanista1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2014, 05:20 PM   #590
jwojcie

Likes (Received): 3993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letniczka View Post
War damages?
The reason that destruction of Warsaw were so devastating is because it was methodical - Germans did planned demolishion of quarter after quarter. Which means the town-planning tissue of the city was destroyed. It is not like pre-war Warsaw had some great town-planning - but still it has all of that what we see nowadays as charming - in particular dense inner city grid of streets and elevations in line with those streets. Only a part of that was recreated as a "Warsaw Old Town" and got on Unesco list. Unfortunately after 45' dominant style in architecture and town-planning was commie modernism/postmodernism crap - which lead to today chaos in big chunk of Warsaw inner city.

It is much simpler to demolish some uggly building than repair messed up town-planning of the city - which last centuries. The interesting example of that is Wroclaw (pre-war Breslau). This city was also heavily destroyed mostly during Festung Breslau in 45' - one of the mostly destroyed were southern part of it where Red Army main assault was made. Germans were demolishing similarly to Warsaw entire quarters (but this time in order to defend themselves not because of revenge). In effect when after WWII commie-modernism town-planning was applied there we got the same crappy type of city like in many areas in Warsaw. And this shit will stay that way for centuries - because it would require to demolish entire district to repair that. On the other hand those parts of the city which were destroyed mostly because of shelling - where the rebuilding meaned in the most part supplementing holes in old city tissue are much more livable and easier to update architecturally to nowadays standards.

My point is that similar destruction level in % doesn't exactly mean similar implications - especially when commies with their sick vissions are in charge of rebuilding. I'm affraid we stick with their bad town-planning for a long long time.

Sorry for maintaining this OT.

Urbanista1 liked this post

Last edited by jwojcie; March 10th, 2014 at 05:33 PM.
jwojcie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2014, 06:00 PM   #591
Ji-Ja-Jot
Used Register

photoshopped without cranes - but the old brick-complex still covered
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmo. View Post
Fotograf Andreas Vallbracht zeigt, wie es aussehen würde:

[IMG]http://www.**************/14/boetchen-mitte-maerz/20140315-DSC01134-e-w.jpg[/IMG]

Quelle: http://www.**************/14/boetchen...z/default.aspx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanista1 View Post

Anyway, I came here to admire hamburg's opera house, would love to see interior some day.
There will be a "Day of the open door" on May 17th+18th. Sure we will see some photos of interiors U/C then
Old March 23rd, 2014, 12:26 PM   #592
frank hannover

Likes (Received): 25

I love this damn expensive scandal building , many Hamburg citicens meanwhile hate it as a never ending story ...
frank hannover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2014, 12:51 PM   #593
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 58030

I think the financing controversy only adds to Elphi's fame and will ensure it becomes the 21st century landmark of Hamburg, on par with the historical ones Michel and City Hall.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2014, 04:51 PM   #594
Ji-Ja-Jot
Used Register

today by me

Old March 30th, 2014, 10:22 PM   #595
Highcliff
Fake democracy

Likes (Received): 5011

very good....
Highcliff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2014, 06:40 PM   #596
Ji-Ja-Jot
Used Register

www.wdr.de
Old April 4th, 2014, 06:50 PM   #597
SoroushPersepolisi

Likes (Received): 5086

its too tall IMO
the tallness makes the wavy roof stick out in a slightly childish way
if they built the bottom section and parking underground and made it as tall as the other buildings in the area , it would of been much better
it is a bit cold too, no cozyness
interesting yes but it would match dubai more than hamburg
Old April 5th, 2014, 01:16 AM   #598
Ji-Ja-Jot
Used Register

not too high imo, but to fat from some view-angles

www.mopo.de

http://bilder.bild.de
Old April 10th, 2014, 05:43 PM   #599
Ji-Ja-Jot
Used Register

webslider taken from
http://www.cool-cities.com/
Old April 13th, 2014, 04:02 PM   #600
Ji-Ja-Jot
Used Register

The roof above the city center

Tags
architecture forum, architektur forum, concerts, culture, elbe, elbe philharmonic hall, elbphilharmonie, events, hafen, hafencity, hamburg, harbour, harbourcity, konzerte, kultur, landmark, music, musik, project, projekt, veranstaltungen, wahrzeichen