daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 11th, 2010, 01:19 PM   #381
MissyC

cool...

when do they begin to build new skyscrapers to the East bound of where now Scotia Bank stands!? I wonder... they really should do so though.
MissyC no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 11th, 2010, 01:45 PM   #382
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10787

East of Scotia Plaza or do you mean the vacant lot above? The vacant lot above is to the north of Scotia Plaza, and the future site of Bay Adelaide East Tower East Tower. I believe it will be slightly shorter than the recently finished Bay Adelaide West Tower.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 02:06 PM   #383
MissyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
East of Scotia Plaza or do you mean the vacant lot above? The vacant lot above is to the north of Scotia Plaza, and the future site of Bay Adelaide East Tower East Tower. I believe it will be slightly shorter than the recently finished Bay Adelaide West Tower.
East of Scotia Plaza (sorry, am not that good with names of places etc)

Why I say that? when you look at TO's skyline, it seems like a huge wall suddenly rise and stops like a big huge block. It will be more impressing if there will be a few more skyscrapers or high rises around the tall core, that is what I 'd like to see in the future or think will improve the future image of the city.
Old January 11th, 2010, 02:46 PM   #384
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteJ View Post
East of Scotia Plaza (sorry, am not that good with names of places etc)

Why I say that? when you look at TO's skyline, it seems like a huge wall suddenly rise and stops like a big huge block. It will be more impressing if there will be a few more skyscrapers or high rises around the tall core, that is what I 'd like to see in the future or think will improve the future image of the city.
If you look at aerials, the number of possible locations for major office buildings is rapidly diminishing. There are either low rise historical sections like King East, zoning issues on Yonge, and protected low rise again on King West. What is likely is a further expansion of the CBD south of the rail tracks, and a filling out of the few remaining lots. After that, where new office towers are built will require a rethink at the OMB as it pertains to zoning/height restrictions.

Once the current generation at the Ontario Municipal Board start retiring, I believe we'll start seeing a relaxation regarding tall buildings on Yonge, and a further relaxation regarding height in general. Most of the other protected areas will, and should remain so, however.

The OMB seem hopelessly out of touch with the modern world sometimes. I've even heard the criticism that many of them come from small towns in Ontario and impose their small town ideas about urbanity on Toronto. A recent height reduction at 21 Avenue Road so one can see the sky looking up University Avenue is a good case in point.

People at the OMB didn't want any buildings north of the Legislature visible from south of the Legislature. It's completely absurd, but unfortunately, Toronto is still at the mercy of people like that. Vistas are important, but in a city you want an urban vista. We don't move here so we can get a good look at the sky.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; January 11th, 2010 at 03:02 PM.
Old January 11th, 2010, 04:26 PM   #385
MissyC

Now I see!

I really don't understand that there are people who come to live in a big city while they still tend to like the small town "feeling"! That is indeed absurd.
Old January 11th, 2010, 05:00 PM   #386
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Now I see!

I really don't understand that there are people who come to live in a big city while they still tend to like the small town "feeling"! That is indeed absurd.
Yes, it is. Many of them want the convenience of a big city, but want it to be a collection of many little neighbourhoods with 3-4 floor buildings everywhere. Others on the OMB seem to be living with their head planted firmly in the ground. What's really needed is a Toronto Municipal Board rather than an Ontario Municipal Board.

The same people over seeing development in some small town in northern Ontario are overseeing development in downtown Toronto. It's beyond ridiculous. They turn down 250 metre tall buildings in the downtown core for being too tall. If you can't build them here, where can you build them?

It gets very frustrating waiting for people to catch up to the realities of modern Toronto, but change is happening.

Last edited by isaidso; January 11th, 2010 at 05:08 PM.
Old January 11th, 2010, 05:40 PM   #387
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12197

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclancer View Post
This building is gonna turn out great.
Nice colour combo.
Too bad it wasn't Canada's first supertall.
First Canadian Place in Toronto has been around since the 70's, and is
two metres short of the arbitrary 1000 foot level for a supertall. If you included the antennaes, as is done in most other places, it is definitely a "supertall".
Old January 11th, 2010, 08:58 PM   #388
Grey Towers

Likes (Received): 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
...and the future site of Bay Adelaide East Tower East Tower. I believe it will be slightly shorter than the recently finished Bay Adelaide West Tower.
If the remainder of the complex is ever built. I believe the other two towers are 45 and 43 stories, compared to the completed tower's 52, so somewhere around 600 ft. I sure hope they are built.
Grey Towers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 09:31 PM   #389
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7167

It's great to see a major tower taking shape in the core of Toronto.
Old January 12th, 2010, 12:55 AM   #390
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Towers View Post
If the remainder of the complex is ever built. I believe the other two towers are 45 and 43 stories, compared to the completed tower's 52, so somewhere around 600 ft. I sure hope they are built.
That sounds about right. I like the arrangement of the 3 towers, but undecided regarding the design of the 2 remaining towers. One has a slight curve in the roof if I remember correctly.

Old January 14th, 2010, 08:41 AM   #391
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

Some pics by boden, SSP, 1-9-10.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 03:01 AM   #392
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3423

Jasonzed, Toronto Subforum
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 01:01 PM   #393
Elkhanan1

Likes (Received): 55

By drum118 on UT
Quote:
Originally Posted by [QUOTE=drum118 View Post
Panels are going up on the east side on Wed and they have the same sit up as Bay. The north system should be in place by the weekend.

Elkhanan1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 01:44 PM   #394
MissyC

I know some of you dear forumers don't like the cladding, but I DO LIKE though!!!!

It looks sophisticated to me.
Old January 21st, 2010, 10:16 PM   #395
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 271

I like the cladding. I think it looks rather classy. Fits in well with the surrounding bank towers.
Old January 22nd, 2010, 12:39 AM   #396
UD2
A very cool person

Likes (Received): 31

cladding is good. Traditional enough that it won't look out of date in 15 years. Unlike say... the RBC place.
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed" - President Eisenhower
UD2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2010, 02:47 AM   #397
Looking/Up

Likes (Received): 643

This project is aggravatingly slow, but I'm glad to see it finally start to look like something. I like the cladding too.

I dropped you off at the train station, And put a kiss on top of your head
I watched you wave, I watched you wave
Then I went on home to my skyscrapers, Neon lights and waiting papers
That I call home, I call it home

- Adele
Looking/Up no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2010, 03:31 AM   #398
Shezan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 593

Quote:
I know some of you dear forumers don't like the cladding, but I DO LIKE though!!!!

I don't like it, sorry..
Shezan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2010, 03:44 AM   #399
CHAPINM1

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:

I agree, I am absolutely sold as well!
Old January 24th, 2010, 09:39 PM   #400
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

Picutes by drum118 from urbantoronto, 1-23-10.

spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
toronto, trump