daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 14th, 2010, 09:12 PM   #441
Coral Builder

Likes (Received): 0

I have nothing against Trump Chicago, but I prefer Toronto's version. Though Chicago's is higher and more rounded, I really like the way Toronto's integrates its surroundings, old and new (as all the surrounding bank towers are all dual themed 'historical and modern' buildings) with granite and glass curtainwall. In addition, the height to width ratio has got to be one of the highest in the world, and certainly higher then the corresponding Chicago tower, making it a real pleasure for those of us who enjoy more density and variety in Toronto's somewhat stoic (free from passion and emotion) and traditional NA skyline.
Coral Builder no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 15th, 2010, 01:42 AM   #442
yin_yang

Likes (Received): 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral Builder View Post
I have nothing against Trump Chicago, but I prefer Toronto's version. Though Chicago's is higher and more rounded, I really like the way Toronto's integrates its surroundings, old and new (as all the surrounding bank towers are all dual themed 'historical and modern' buildings) with granite and glass curtainwall. In addition, the height to width ratio has got to be one of the highest in the world, and certainly higher then the corresponding Chicago tower, making it a real pleasure for those of us who enjoy more density and variety in Toronto's somewhat stoic (free from passion and emotion) and traditional NA skyline.
i agree with you, but i still think chicago's looks more epic (i.e. cn tower, burj)
yin_yang no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2010, 11:51 PM   #443
CanadianSkyScraper

Likes (Received): 39

From UT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo-tage View Post
Shot taken this afternoon. From a perspective I don't think we've seen before.

image hosted on flickr
CanadianSkyScraper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2010, 10:35 AM   #444
Spoolmak

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumors View Post
You are a rather sad individual...btw canged, is spelled changed.
No need to take offence.. and I have absolutely nothing to be sad about, why would you make such an assumption
Spoolmak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2010, 03:36 AM   #445
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

Photo by Parkdalian, urbantoronto.ca, from a few days ago.

image hosted on flickr
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2010, 03:13 PM   #446
Marco Polo

Thanks for posting - it is such a great project. It brings the right size and density to this node. Wonderful!! Also nice eto know that there will be people living in this area, so it will not be empty in evenings.

Congratulations Toronto, I am envious.
Marco Polo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2010, 10:34 PM   #447
CanadianSkyScraper

Likes (Received): 39

image hosted on flickr
CanadianSkyScraper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2010, 02:20 PM   #448
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10782

Quote:
Originally Posted by yin_yang View Post
i agree with you, but i still think chicago's looks more epic (i.e. cn tower, burj)
Chicago's is definitely a far bigger structure. The lot in Toronto could never have accommodated a building the size of Trump Chicago. They're both very good, but very different. Trump Toronto will look great when it's done. I hope we see a lot more residential in the financial district. Another 20,000 people would really spice things up down there.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2010, 03:26 PM   #449
thicken

Likes (Received): 14

how i miss that city! awesome
Old February 24th, 2010, 05:38 AM   #450
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17785

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Chicago's is definitely a far bigger structure. The lot in Toronto could never have accommodated a building the size of Trump Chicago. They're both very good, but very different. Trump Toronto will look great when it's done. I hope we see a lot more residential in the financial district. Another 20,000 people would really spice things up down there.
The Chicago Trump's location is also far better, not being obstructed by neighbouring skyscrapers, so the lower floors will still enjoy decent views of the river. I doubt Toronto's Trump will even have views until at least 1/3-1/2 way up.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2010, 09:48 AM   #451
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
The Chicago Trump's location is also far better, not being obstructed by neighbouring skyscrapers, so the lower floors will still enjoy decent views of the river. I doubt Toronto's Trump will even have views until at least 1/3-1/2 way up.
Not being obstructed makes it better? That's not really a reflection upon the building at all. If we're to start talking about placement though, I'd argue that Toronto's is better. At street level, the density is going to be very impressive: 200 metre + towers on all sides!

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
Old February 24th, 2010, 10:22 AM   #452
yin_yang

Likes (Received): 80

Quote:
Not being obstructed makes it better? That's not really a reflection upon the building at all. If we're to start talking about placement though, I'd argue that Toronto's is better. At street level, the density is going to be very impressive: 200 metre + towers on all sides!
i think he meant in regard to my "epicness" comment indeed, it wouldn't look nearly as impressive right where trump toronto is.
yin_yang no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2010, 10:26 AM   #453
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
I wouldn't be very happy paying a fortune if the view out my window is another piece of glass from the neighbour across the street, only to have that reflect sun at my face at certain times of the day. No spa in my unit can compensate for that.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old February 24th, 2010, 12:02 PM   #454
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
I wouldn't be very happy paying a fortune if the view out my window is another piece of glass from the neighbour across the street, only to have that reflect sun at my face at certain times of the day. No spa in my unit can compensate for that.
People aren't paying for a view, they're paying for luxury and location. Expecting a view in the downtown core isn't very realistic. Once again though, you're making a criticism of the location of the building, not the building.

Last edited by isaidso; February 24th, 2010 at 12:08 PM.
Old February 24th, 2010, 02:09 PM   #455
lokinyc
chek ur hed

Likes (Received): 3

What is taking this tower so long? ugh. I prefer the Chicago tower simply because of its location on the Chicago River. The views of the tower coming down the river are stunning.
Old February 24th, 2010, 04:06 PM   #456
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
People aren't paying for a view, they're paying for luxury and location. Expecting a view in the downtown core isn't very realistic. Once again though, you're making a criticism of the location of the building, not the building.
Well, for those who can really afford luxury, they get both - beautiful furnishings and a view. It's a matter of how much you're willing to cough out.

There are plenty of developments with lake and city views, and Trump doesn't offer that much for most of its units.

The location and building both make a home good. You can't ignore either one.

Old February 24th, 2010, 06:09 PM   #457
MissyC

I 'd love the views and luxuary myself... But I guess I 'd rather stay at the Ritz or if I 'd get a room overlooking the whole downtown core!
Old February 24th, 2010, 08:01 PM   #458
Coral Builder

Likes (Received): 0

Charlotte, I love your signature. Have you read the History of the Rothschilds. Are you aware that descendants of Nathan Rothschild are currently living in Montreal, and since WWII have been intimately involved with many aspects of development here in Canada.
Coral Builder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2010, 08:39 PM   #459
Sandblast

Likes (Received): 2842

Such a great building ...... such an unfortunate name!
Sandblast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2010, 09:40 PM   #460
MissyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral Builder View Post
Charlotte, I love your signature. Have you read the History of the Rothschilds. Are you aware that descendants of Nathan Rothschild are currently living in Montreal, and since WWII have been intimately involved with many aspects of development here in Canada.
Yes CB, I knew that all and know much more and as I 've always said and will keep believing in, not all of them are bad people and those of them who are considered being evil are not really. They are just business people and anybody who makes money, always makes enemies.

Most of those out there who find them " no good" are just the do good-er and the anarchists who don't believe in anything but law and order and logic tells that in order to create prosperity and health, there should be law and leadership is required.

So do these people and I like them and I 've always supported them and will keep doing so too. No matter what.

Sir Evelyn Rothschild is my most favorite person on this planet !!!

Tags
toronto, trump