daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 19th, 2010, 02:29 PM   #501
caltrane74

Likes (Received): 71

by me

caltrane74 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 19th, 2010, 03:16 PM   #502
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

nice progress since the last time i checked.
Old April 20th, 2010, 07:47 AM   #503
Quall

Likes (Received): 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral Builder View Post
I love it, compliments the fatter bank towers nicely, Like 1 King West. A skinny tree, between fatter trees, like a forest...
I'll disagree. I like consistency. The bulkiness of the other towers just makes this one look unimportant.
Quall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2010, 07:18 PM   #504
LuckyFace
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
April 6, 2010 - Construction moves upward on the Trump International Hotel and Tower in Toronto. Developer Talon International Development Inc. and construction manager Lewis Builds Corp. say the 60-storey project — with 261 hotel rooms and 118 condominium residences — will be completed by 2011.
I can't wait to see it completed in 2011:
LuckyFace no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2010, 02:24 AM   #505
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quall View Post
I'll disagree. I like consistency. The bulkiness of the other towers just makes this one look unimportant.
I agree with you on that. I would rather have the taller fatter office towers in the center of a downtown and have the slimmer residential towers on the outer edge. The tall slim tower next to a tall fat tower kinda makes the skinnier one less impressive.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2010, 05:50 AM   #506
Looking/Up

Likes (Received): 643

I think it's nice to have a mixture, as it leads to more diverse and vibrant visuals.

I dropped you off at the train station, And put a kiss on top of your head
I watched you wave, I watched you wave
Then I went on home to my skyscrapers, Neon lights and waiting papers
That I call home, I call it home

- Adele
Looking/Up no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2010, 06:28 AM   #507
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10786

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking/Up View Post
I think it's nice to have a mixture, as it leads to more diverse and vibrant visuals.
I prefer variety too. Only big fat towers in the CBD and smaller skinny towers beyond the CBD is boring. I love that 1 King West and Trump are where they are. Likewise, AURA and Four Seasons will drastically improve the visual interest around College Park and Yorkville.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2010, 06:39 AM   #508
carewser

Likes (Received): 15

I don't understand how you guys can seriously complain about a 60 story tower going up. Not only that, but it will probably be Toronto's nicest skyscraper.

Wow.
Old April 21st, 2010, 06:54 AM   #509
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by carewser View Post
I don't understand how you guys can seriously complain about a 60 story tower going up. Not only that, but it will probably be Toronto's nicest skyscraper.

Wow.
There's a culture of negotiation and deliberation in Canada. It can get stifling when everything needs to take into consideration so many differing views. Superior designs and products should theoretically be the end result, but once in a while everything comes to a screeching halt due to over regulation and outdated conventions.

There's a general aversion to height, shadow, and unorthodox design in most Canadian cities. It's amazing that some the more progressive designs and taller buildings ever see the light of day.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
Old April 21st, 2010, 12:04 PM   #510
Febo
Soy Viejo, Deme!

Likes (Received): 1231

Good for the tallest in Toronto!

I hope its construction is as fast as the TRump in Chicago.
Old April 21st, 2010, 12:29 PM   #511
Elnerico

^yes, any big city should expect a bit of shadow when they start building skyscrapers. City Hall wants to be protected from shadows so they don't allow anything that'll cast a shadow on City Hall =/

Last edited by Elnerico; April 23rd, 2010 at 04:54 AM.
Elnerico no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2010, 12:45 PM   #512
isaidso
the new republic

I honestly don't care if City Hall is in shadow. I walk around King and Bay all the time and it doesn't bother me in the slightest that it's usually in shadow. Even when I walk up Yonge Street, I usually change to the side that's in shadow. I prefer it to direct rays.

Old April 24th, 2010, 02:06 AM   #513
carewser

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
There's a culture of negotiation and deliberation in Canada. It can get stifling when everything needs to take into consideration so many differing views. Superior designs and products should theoretically be the end result, but once in a while everything comes to a screeching halt due to over regulation and outdated conventions.

There's a general aversion to height, shadow, and unorthodox design in most Canadian cities. It's amazing that some the more progressive designs and taller buildings ever see the light of day.
Are you suggesting that government micromanagment is a bad thing?
Old April 24th, 2010, 03:12 AM   #514
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Are you suggesting that government micromanagment is a bad thing?
Nope, I've made no such suggestion. I've merely summarized the process in this country. People can decide for themselves whether it's too regulated, not regulated enough, or not an effective/efficient mechanism.

Last edited by isaidso; April 24th, 2010 at 03:21 AM.
Old April 24th, 2010, 03:41 AM   #515
Dimethyltryptamine

Likes (Received): 6445

I love how the building appears to "morph" into the glass facade. Nice height too.
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2010, 04:43 AM   #516
valantino
The Greatest

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:

Wow.
Nicest?!? What are you smokin'? The design would of been mediocre 20 years ago back when it was in style and who cares if its curtainwall and granite. The attention to detail is among the worse of the 250 recently built towers. The facade's a disaster!

There's fourteen 500 plus footers and countless others in the 400 foot range. Anyone that thinks that there's an aversion to height among those approving these project is living in a bubble of lofty delusions. Thank the great architect in the sky that Toronto doesn't look up to Dubailand. Most poeple don't desire to bask in shadows either or have culturally significant sites, corridors, and facilities literally overshadowed by some non-descript hive of office drones.
Old April 24th, 2010, 11:38 AM   #517
isaidso
the new republic

The opposite of an aversion to height isn't Dubai; what a simplistic rationalization process. Countless towers have been scaled down because the powers that be in Toronto thought they were too tall. You have selective memory if you don't remember them. Do you really need Toronto forumers to start listing them all?

If something is deemed too tall, that is an aversion to height. It doesn't matter what reasons lie beyond it.

Quote:
Not only that, but it will probably be Toronto's nicest skyscraper.

Wow.
Don't worry, you haven't been smoking anything. He's usually pretty condescending. I love this tower. One of the best ones to go up in a long time in this city.

Last edited by isaidso; April 24th, 2010 at 11:45 AM.
Old April 24th, 2010, 02:48 PM   #518
Elkhanan1

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by valantino View Post
Nicest?!? What are you smokin'? The design would of been mediocre 20 years ago back when it was in style and who cares if its curtainwall and granite. The attention to detail is among the worse of the 250 recently built towers. The facade's a disaster!
Umm...I think it's a little early for such blanket condemnation. The thing is still only about 1/3 complete with lots of details and elements yet to be installed. And it's filthy. Chill.
Elkhanan1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2010, 02:15 PM   #519
carewser

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Nope, I've made no such suggestion. I've merely summarized the process in this country. People can decide for themselves whether it's too regulated, not regulated enough, or not an effective/efficient mechanism.
wow, way to backpeddle out of what you said earlier. It's pretty clear you were saying that government micromanagement is a bad thing and I couldn't agree more so why did you wuss out when I questioned you? Also, how was my comment "pretty condescending"? I don't think you understood what I said. I just couldn't believe that people were (and are) complaining about this building because it looks to me to be the best thing Toronto's skyline has seen in a long time, so what's condescending about that? I think if the Chrysler Building were proposed today some people would complain about it too.

Valantino, i'm not smoking anything nor have I for a long time. So you really think that the other towers downtown are nicer than this thing? If that's what you think I'm pretty sure you're the one smoking something because I can't think of another tower in Toronto that even comes close to Trump for design and aesthetics.

Last edited by carewser; April 25th, 2010 at 04:31 PM.
carewser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2010, 02:44 PM   #520
thicken

Likes (Received): 14

bomdf

Tags
toronto, trump