daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 25th, 2010, 04:23 PM   #521
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10806

Quote:
Originally Posted by carewser View Post
wow, way to backpeddle out of what you said earlier.
Nope, you just make a lot of assumptions about what you think people are insinuating.

I think you need to go back and read my post carefully. I was backing you up. I wasn't calling you condescending. I was calling Valentino condescending. Jeessh!

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; April 25th, 2010 at 04:29 PM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 27th, 2010, 03:28 PM   #522
Nouvellecosse
~ Mysterious Entity ~

Likes (Received): 309

Quote:
wow, way to backpeddle out of what you said earlier. It's pretty clear you were saying that government micromanagement is a bad thing and I couldn't agree more so why did you wuss out when I questioned you? Also, how was my comment "pretty condescending"? I don't think you understood what I said. I just couldn't believe that people were (and are) complaining about this building because it looks to me to be the best thing Toronto's skyline has seen in a long time, so what's condescending about that? I think if the Chrysler Building were proposed today some people would complain about it too.

Valantino, i'm not smoking anything nor have I for a long time. So you really think that the other towers downtown are nicer than this thing? If that's what you think I'm pretty sure you're the one smoking something because I can't think of another tower in Toronto that even comes close to Trump for design and aesthetics.
Trump is nice in terms of sleekness, but Scotia Plaza, TD Canada Trust, Royal Bank Plaza, MLS and 1 King West are nicer in terms of overall design and aesthetics. Trump's design is only fair,
really. But of course you're entitled to indulge whatever 80's pomo fetish you may have since we all have our own unique "taste", but it's best to avoid projecting your quirks onto others, and instead accept that you're unique and enjoy your kinks in private (or with other like-minded individuals). :cheer

Btw, the fact that you haven't smoked anything for a long time could be part of your problem. You should try it sometime; it could help calm your nerves. You know it's not good to let yourself get so worked up.
Nouvellecosse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2010, 03:45 PM   #523
isaidso
the new republic

You like MLS? The podium is great, but the rest looks like 'assembly line glass tower'. I'm not a fan of a lot of 80s post modernism, but Trump I like a great deal. Perhaps, we should wait till it's done first?

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
Old April 28th, 2010, 01:26 AM   #524
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 271

I don't think there is anything too special about 1 King West. It looks cheap. In my mind, it is much less prominent than Scotia Plaza and the other bank towers. I think Trump will turn out alright, just need to wait until the upper glass portion is complete. It should resolve quite nicely if they follow the render.
Old April 28th, 2010, 01:56 AM   #525
carewser

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Trump is nice in terms of sleekness, but Scotia Plaza, TD Canada Trust, Royal Bank Plaza, MLS and 1 King West are nicer in terms of overall design and aesthetics. Trump's design is only fair,
really. But of course you're entitled to indulge whatever 80's pomo fetish you may have since we all have our own unique "taste", but it's best to avoid projecting your quirks onto others, and instead accept that you're unique and enjoy your kinks in private (or with other like-minded individuals). :cheer

Btw, the fact that you haven't smoked anything for a long time could be part of your problem. You should try it sometime; it could help calm your nerves. You know it's not good to let yourself get so worked up.
The point was made that we should all wait until it's finished before we critique it and that's true because so far we are all just going by the base and renderings but even if the building looks half as good as the renderings I still think it will be TO's nicest tower. In my mind, the only other skyscraper that even comes close is TD Canada Trust and it's a distant second. Others here obviously agree with me.

You're right about smoking something though, I should take up smoking crack, I'm sure that would help me heaps.

isaidso, i'm sorry I misunderstood your comment. I see now that you weren't calling me patronizing. That's my girlfriend's job.

Last edited by carewser; April 28th, 2010 at 02:04 AM.
carewser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2010, 02:08 AM   #526
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
isaidso, i'm sorry I misunderstood your comment. I see now that you weren't calling me patronizing. That's my girlfriend's job.
No problem!

Old April 28th, 2010, 02:19 AM   #527
Looking/Up

Likes (Received): 643

This thread reads like a Dr. Phil episode.

I dropped you off at the train station, And put a kiss on top of your head
I watched you wave, I watched you wave
Then I went on home to my skyscrapers, Neon lights and waiting papers
That I call home, I call it home

- Adele
Looking/Up no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2010, 03:23 AM   #528
carewser

Likes (Received): 15

Old April 28th, 2010, 07:55 AM   #529
Nouvellecosse
~ Mysterious Entity ~

Quote:
The point was made that we should all wait until it's finished before we critique it and that's true because so far we are all just going by the base and renderings but even if the building looks half as good as the renderings I still think it will be TO's nicest tower. In my mind, the only other skyscraper that even comes close is TD Canada Trust and it's a distant second. Others here obviously agree with me.

You're right about smoking something though, I should take up smoking crack, I'm sure that would help me heaps.
Anyone who needs a building to be pointy will consider Trump to be the best and TD Canada Trust to be a distant second, and you're right, there actually are quite a few people who suffer from the same condition.

Btw, in case it doesn't come across well online, my teasing isn't really meant to be taken seriously; it's more for the comic value, and you're just the unfortunate target. The only thing I'm actually serious about is that based on what we've seen so far, I find Trump a touch cheap and tacky rather than being a city-leading wonder. But I'm definitely glad that something is being built that other people can enjoy though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
You like MLS? The podium is great, but the rest looks like 'assembly line glass tower'. I'm not a fan of a lot of 80s post modernism, but Trump I like a great deal. Perhaps, we should wait till it's done first?
I don't love MLS for the very reason you stated (looking too conventional), but it is different enough from the other assembly line blue-glassers that I definitely do like it. For one thing, the glass is a darker shade, which is great since I generally hate seeing too many pale, washed out colours in a big city. Also, the balconies are sleeker giving the buildings a cleaner, less fussy appearance, and the dimensions make it look taller than it actually is. Compared to things like the City Place structures, Lightbox, ROCP, etc, the building is actually very good even if in absolute terms it's mediocre. I actually like it better than BA, but that's partially because I have higher standards for office buildings.
Old April 30th, 2010, 07:42 PM   #530
Quall

Likes (Received): 462

Last edited by Quall; April 30th, 2010 at 07:54 PM.
Quall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2010, 08:09 PM   #531
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 846

For a guy with an industrial size ego I don't think it's much. The building is decent but won't make a hoot of difference on the Toronto skyline. Just another tower at King and Bay.
This is why I have always been so-so about the Toronto skyline............its a blob. Half the towers you can't even see. This is why Toronto will never have a skyline that even can be mentioned in the same sentence of Chicago. Compared to Chicago Toronto is an also-ran and even that's pushing it. It desperately needs to be spread out up to Bloor. The Aurora will have a far bigger impact than this thing will because it can be seen.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2010, 10:30 PM   #532
caltrane74

Likes (Received): 71

Trump Cladding Changing
caltrane74 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2010, 04:59 AM   #533
Spoolmak

Likes (Received): 30

wow shes tall now
Spoolmak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2010, 05:17 AM   #534
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy2 View Post
The building is decent but won't make a hoot of difference on the Toronto skyline. Just another tower at King and Bay.
This is why I have always been so-so about the Toronto skyline............its a blob. Half the towers you can't even see.
Trump won't make much of an impact from the south, but it will be noticeable from the west. Lots of Chicago towers can't be seen either, but that's what makes these cities great: they're not spread out, but dense. Chicago makes up for it by spreading quite far north and south along its lake shore. Toronto is only just beginning to spread its skyline along its lake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy2 View Post
This is why Toronto will never have a skyline that even can be mentioned in the same sentence of Chicago. Compared to Chicago Toronto is an also-ran and even that's pushing it. It desperately needs to be spread out up to Bloor. The Aurora will have a far bigger impact than this thing will because it can be seen.
The Toronto skyline has been gaining on Chicago's for a long time now. It's still noticeably smaller, but Chicago is also a much bigger city. I wouldn't make predictions about Toronto never having a comparable skyline to Chicago. If Toronto and Chicago both continue to grow in the future like they have the last 10 years, Toronto's skyline will catch up sooner than you'd think. Another 15-20 years and it will be there.

No city remains #1 forever. Chicago has been #1 on the Great Lakes for over a century. It won't stay there forever.

Old May 1st, 2010, 11:51 PM   #535
caltrane74

Likes (Received): 71

We are gonna be building alot of towers over the next year and a bit that will help us gain ground on Chicago. ICE 1 and 2 should get things rolling....
caltrane74 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2010, 02:12 AM   #536
isaidso
the new republic

Yes, if Toronto gets on average 1 200 m+ tower, and 10 100-200 m towers topping out each year, that's a lot of extra bulking up over 15 years. The only thing missing is the realization of a few in the 300-500 m range. Who knows, Toronto may even get a few of those. It's quite possible that things will transpire along these lines between 2010 and 2025.

Old May 2nd, 2010, 02:35 AM   #537
Cojapo

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Yes, if Toronto gets on average 1 200 m+ tower, and 10 100-200 m towers topping out each year, that's a lot of extra bulking up over 15 years. The only thing missing is the realization of a few in the 300-500 m range. Who knows, Toronto may even get a few of those. It's quite possible that things will transpire along these lines between 2010 and 2025.
Is there are reason that there are no 300+m towers? Limits on heights?
Cojapo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2010, 03:41 AM   #538
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cojapo View Post
There have been a number of 300 m+ proposals over the years:

John Maryon 1971 (503 m to roof, 686 m to spire)
Weston Skyscraper 1970s (335 m)
Trump Toronto 2009 (325 m)

There are height restrictions in place for most of the city, even certain parts of the core. Severe aversion to shadow effects, preserving neighbourhoods, and the desire to keep some corridors free of towers are usually the culprit. The super tall proposals above fell through for other reasons though.

Toronto has had a penchant for massive structures for a long time. The city finally got what it wanted when the CN Tower went up, but the city still waits for the first 300 m+ office/residential tower.

Last edited by isaidso; May 2nd, 2010 at 03:46 AM.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 03:57 AM   #539
Nouvellecosse
~ Mysterious Entity ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cojapo View Post
Mainly because of

Toronto's tallest building is, for all intents and purposes, the same size as several other buildings measuring over 300m (and therefore considered "supertalls.") In fact, when First Canadian Place was built, it was the 8th tallest building in the world to structural top and the tallest building overall outside of Chicago and New York. The building was built with a flat roof without crown or spire and lacking setbacks in an effort to maximize interior volume since it was built to alleviate the desperate need for office space in Toronto at the time. If the building had a slightly different design, it would have been considered a supertall:

In the foreseeable future, there's unlikely to be enough demand to build a single office building that large, and for residential it tends to be much more cost effective to build several smaller buildings (well, this is technically the case of office as well, but corporations tend to be slightly less cost sensitive than individual home buyers).
Old May 2nd, 2010, 06:42 AM   #540
Dave-in-Toronto

Likes (Received): 683

Hi, this is my first post on SSC, but I have been lurking for about 4 years. I was near Trump Tower Toronto on Thursday and took these pics:

Dave-in-Toronto no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
toronto, trump