daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Tampa Bay Area

Tampa Bay Area Includes Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus Counties » Transportation and Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 21st, 2011, 12:13 AM   #281
koopalicious

Likes (Received): 95

Quote:
Once those two segments are done, Hoffman said the city will focus on a roughly one-mile portion of the project running from the performing arts center to Tampa Heights.

Developers of the Tampa Heights project built a 400-foot walkway across from the park but, falling victim to the housing crisis, didn't connect to the city's portion of the project.

Hoffman said previous estimates put the cost for extending that section of the walkway, from the performing arts center to North Boulevard bridge, at more than $4 million.
What is "the park" (Water Works?) and where is this walkway?
koopalicious no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 21st, 2011, 12:56 AM   #282
smiley

Likes (Received): 110

Quote:
AKA, we get an okay sidewalk from Channelside to the Straz Center. $10 million could add in amenities to convince people to actually walk it. More restrooms, shaded areas, probably some retail space.
Since most of the remaining segment is out over the river and no where near land - so there will be no amenities of note - (which is idiotic, of course) who cares. People will walk it but it will not add much unless new buildings get built.
I contain multitudes.

I don't pretend 'cause I don't care.

Last edited by smiley; August 21st, 2011 at 01:02 AM.
smiley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2011, 12:57 AM   #283
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 429

Quote:
Originally Posted by koopalicious View Post
What is "the park" (Water Works?) and where is this walkway?
At first, I was thinking that they were talking about Blake High since that is across from the Heights project and denied it. But looking at the satellite photos, it does seem like there is a newer walkway there and has more greenery compared to the rest of the walkway that goes south.
Old August 21st, 2011, 01:15 AM   #284
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiley View Post
Since most of the remaining segment is out over the river and no where near land - so there will be no amenities of note - (which is idiotic, of course) who cares. People will walk it but it will not add much unless new buildings get built.
We don't even know what they define as amenities. The 2010 plan has so many things included between Channelside and Curtis Hixon that I wonder if they will be included. The plan has many signage, phone booths, lighting features. And I never noticed, but the plan also includes two cafes. One between MacDill Park and the Sheraton Hotel and another right next to the Harbour Island Bridge. Two cafes that would benefit the Riverwalk well and now I have to wonder if those were scrapped.
Old August 21st, 2011, 04:21 AM   #285
koopalicious

Likes (Received): 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaMike View Post
At first, I was thinking that they were talking about Blake High since that is across from the Heights project and denied it. But looking at the satellite photos, it does seem like there is a newer walkway there and has more greenery compared to the rest of the walkway that goes south.
Yeah, good call. I don't think I've ever paid any attention to it before.
koopalicious no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2011, 09:00 PM   #286
jonknee
Downtown resident

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
AKA, we get an okay sidewalk from Channelside to the Straz Center. $10 million could add in amenities to convince people to actually walk it. More restrooms, shaded areas, probably some retail space.

I hate complaining at all, but it seems like the things that Tampa does goes without complaining about it. Cheap, lackluster, ordinary, and so on. They either don't give a damn or they give a damn but look for the least expensive give a damn way in performing it. "Better something than nothing" my ass from now on, do something in this city that will be original and stop caving in to the whole hysteria that a penny to add a flower into the project is overspending.
Things that are present on the Riverwalk today (in its incomplete state): two playgrounds, two museums, bike rentals, boat docking (in multiple spots), an outside bar that has live music, a water taxi, etc etc. It also connects into a major cruise ship terminal, I don't think it will have any troubles once completed (and then improved--no one said that after it all connects nothing can be added).
jonknee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2011, 10:57 PM   #287
TPAMAN

Likes (Received): 55

There is also that space between Curtis Hixon park and the parking garage under Kiley Gardens. I understood it was for future cafe/restaurant space.
TPAMAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2011, 03:46 AM   #288
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Sept. 2011 Update
http://www.tampagov.net/dept_riverwa...ember_2011.pdf
Old October 7th, 2011, 03:47 AM   #289
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Riverwalk receiving more boat slips
http://www.tampabay.com/news/growth/...-docks/1195469
Old October 19th, 2011, 06:48 AM   #290
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Cruise ship docks might be open to public, added to Riverwalk plan.
http://www.tampabay.com/news/busines...public/1197345

Maybe we will get the Riverwalk all the way up to Garrison Channel.
Old October 19th, 2011, 07:42 AM   #291
jamesk

Likes (Received): 3

I really hope that they could open it up.

I recall the first time I visited channelside nearly ten years ago, trying to find a way around to the actual waterfront, only to be let down.
jamesk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2011, 04:21 PM   #292
FlaNatv

Likes (Received): 55

Channelside may as well be off the waterfront, since there is no interaction with it. Too bad the Cruise terminal can't be relocated, but I guess the plaza needs all the cruisers close by to possible spend money. I don't know how important the cruise terminals are to being on the DT pennisula, so I may be off here. It would be cool though if the strip of land between Channelside and Ybor channel was park/public use space including riverwalk and trails all the way up into Ybor. Maybe more land for the Aquarium to expand on. The Cruise ship terminals then could be docked on the east side of Ybor Channel. A public Marina could be built in Ybor channel along the west side. Probably a bad idea for the cruise business, but good for Channelside and Ybor residents.
Old October 20th, 2011, 10:59 PM   #293
TampaGuy

Likes (Received): 41

I know this isn't directly on the riverwalk, but the building is. Sorry if this shouldn't be here.

Quote:
Kahwa Cafe Grows to Conquer Tampa Bay!
After their second straight win as Best of the Bay's Best Coffee Shop, Kahwa Cafe has now set its sights on satisfying coffee lovers across the bay! Kahwa’s next location is in the atrium of the Rivergate Building (you know the building in downtown Tampa shaped like a beer can?) which has a new owner making some much needed changes. So if you live in the ‘Burg but commute to Tampon (we kid)--now you know. Owners Raphael and Sarah Perrier are planning to have a third Kahwa cafe open by December or January. Stay tuned!
If you haven't heard of Kahwa it's a coffee shop that started in Downtown St.Pete, and it now had two locations downtown. It's really good.

http://downtownstpete.ilovetheburg.c...ahwas-3rd/3245
Old October 21st, 2011, 08:12 PM   #294
smiley

From that blog that a friend sent me:

Quote:
On the Waterfront

In a report that could be related, or maybe it isn’t, the Mayor of Tampa has proposed looking into ways to open the waterfront at Channelside. (See here and here) Tampasphere is extremely happy someone has finally addressed this issue. As the Mayor said:

”I think there may be other ways to mitigate the security issues and at the same time open up what I think is one of the most valuable pieces of real estate in downtown Tampa.”

Truly, the Riverwalk presently ends at a street corner with a parking lot – not exactly inspiring.

The response from the Director was:

“The question is, can we open it up more frequently and for longer periods of time?” he said. Also, he added, are the issues of how much that would cost and who would pay the bills.

Well, Channelside is owned by the Port, so maybe that helps answer whose job it is to answer the second question.

Moreover, anyone who has been to Channelside can see that, with the water cut off, the design of Channelside if quite flawed because it cuts people off from the logical focus of the complex and reason it is different from other entertainment locations. It is logical to conclude that maintaining the status quo is bad for business at Channelside which, as we noted, is owned by the port. Tampasphere is aware of security concerns surrounding the working wharf, but there has to be some way to open the waterfront, at least when ships are not in. The waterfront is a great asset that has been wasted for far too long. Once again, we get the issues. Now, what is the port’s vision for rectifying this?
http://tampasphere.wordpress.com/201...up-10-21-2011/
I contain multitudes.

Old October 22nd, 2011, 04:35 AM   #295
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

The extending Riverwalk out towards the channel might be a problem with the cruise terminal, so the idea of the restaurant there with the extending Riverwalk can be move to the north side. Of course add many trees, bushes, and other plants to the overall idea. What else could be added to a park in Channelside?

-Red Buildings are Retail/Restaurant
-Light Blue is Hotel/Parking
-Light Orange is Child Playground
-Orange is Pavilions and Grills
-Dark Blue is Amphitheater
-Black Dots can be Public Art or Sculptures

image hosted on flickr

Channelside by TampaMike2, on Flickr
Old October 23rd, 2011, 03:51 AM   #296
smiley

Quote:
What else could be added to a park in Channelside?
Nothing, because there isn't a chance in hell that all that land will become a park.
I contain multitudes.

Old October 23rd, 2011, 05:21 AM   #297
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Well, I'm not going to allow it to be anything else than a park. Be stupid to ruin that whole area with high-rises and other developments. Hotel area I don't mind becoming around the same height as the Towers of Channelside since you have the parking garage right across the street from it. But I would not allow the residents at the Place and the other "smaller" developments to be boxed in by taller developments. And the residents of Channelside have all the rights to an park as the residents at Skypoint and Element do with Curtis Hixon.

It's either the area next to Ybor Channel or the ConAgra site that becomes a park and I would rather focus more skyscraper development on the ConAgra site, especially with adding more retail along Meridian Dr. And that plan pretty much makes up 1/3 of the whole area of land next to Ybor Channel. I'm having trouble figuring out what would be best for the rest of it. haha

Last edited by TampaMike; October 23rd, 2011 at 05:37 AM.
TampaMike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2011, 03:45 AM   #298
smiley

there isn't a chance in hell that all that land will become a park
I contain multitudes.

Old October 24th, 2011, 06:54 AM   #299
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiley View Post
there isn't a chance in hell that all that land will become a park
Well, the city better get with plans of finding someone to build anything on that land before I become a Tampa resident in the spring. I was about to say I would be fine with smaller scale developments, but that would be a waste on that land. Anything taller than The Place is pretty much out of the question in my books. Besides a park, the only I would really be comfortable allowing it to become is a cultural venue like a museum or opera hall or something else.

Just imagining that whole area being covered by Tampa Port Authority height buildings gets my blood boiling.
Old October 24th, 2011, 05:42 PM   #300
jonknee
Downtown resident

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Well, the city better get with plans of finding someone to build anything on that land before I become a Tampa resident in the spring. I was about to say I would be fine with smaller scale developments, but that would be a waste on that land. Anything taller than The Place is pretty much out of the question in my books. Besides a park, the only I would really be comfortable allowing it to become is a cultural venue like a museum or opera hall or something else.

Just imagining that whole area being covered by Tampa Port Authority height buildings gets my blood boiling.
Are you high? What's with the ultimatums? Prediction: it stays a port for quite a while.
jonknee no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
downtown tampa