daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 20th, 2007, 12:53 PM   #21
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 780

I lived in christchurch for a bit as a young child, and these photos brought back some wonderful, yet distant memories. I always loved the small Avon river. It’s tiny as far as rivers go, and many may even argue, too small to be taken seriously, but still, it meanders and weaves it’s way around the city in such a lovely way.

I also remember the beaches, New Brighton etc, and there was some sort of caves at the beach in Clifton. If you have photos of these caves I would be really appreciative.

Christchurch is a beautiful small city, but I would hesitate before claiming one of the most beautiful in the world. I know it’s all based on one’s personal perspective, but there are so many cities I have seen since that I would consider far more attractive and beautiful. Wellington and Auckland in NZ, Sydney & Perth in Australia, Bergen, Venice, Paris, Barcelona, Prague, Budapest, Genoa, Hamburg etc in Europe, Boston, San Francisco, Seattle, Vancouver etc in North America, and I could expand this list enormously if I think for a couple of minutes longer.

Christchurch is beautiful, but not outstanding. It is quite a typical city really, and I know many “suburbs” of a similar size and attractiveness that offers everything Christchurch has and then the big city down the road. But I certainly recommend a visit when you are in New Zealand.

Sponsored Links
Old April 20th, 2007, 01:28 PM   #22
Davee
A Christchurch Son

Likes (Received): 49

Cheers - some panoramics to remind you of CHC

"Fide Condita, Fructu Beata, Spe Fortis"
"Founded in Faith, Rich in the Fruits of the Earth and Her Industry, Bold is Her Claim on the Future"

The Garden City
Davee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2007, 07:05 PM   #23
Cartel
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyeight View Post
Charming city. I love it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
Very nice! Great pix.
Thanks guys, the support is much appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENIGMA View Post
Is this that funky area - I think that it is called SOL or LANES ? If so, please get us more pics of this area .....

Yes sir, that is Electric boulevard in Funky town.
I will get round to posting what pics I have of SOL & Lichfield lanes, but you probably would have seen 80-90% of them in kiwiscrapers.

That place is cool, it's going to AMAZING when it's finished.
Cartel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2007, 07:34 PM   #24
Cartel
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme View Post
I also remember the beaches, New Brighton etc, and there was some sort of caves at the beach in Clifton. If you have photos of these caves I would be really appreciative.

--- There ar many caves around that area.
Sorry, I don't have any pics of them, just cave rock, pictured below, which is kind of a cave....hope it helps.

Christchurch is a beautiful small city, but I would hesitate before claiming one of the most beautiful in the world. I know it’s all based on one’s personal perspective, but there are so many cities I have seen since that I would consider far more attractive and beautiful. Wellington and Auckland in NZ, Sydney & Perth in Australia, Bergen, Venice, Paris, Barcelona, Prague, Budapest, Genoa, Hamburg etc in Europe, Boston, San Francisco, Seattle, Vancouver etc in North America, and I could expand this list enormously if I think for a couple of minutes longer.

---Well, yes it is all based on personal perspective, so why would you even bother to list those cities that you belive are better looking? I mean jesus are you oblivious to the contradiction?

ps. The quote in my 1st post is shared by many.
The perspective in question is not as personal as you may think.

Christchurch is beautiful, but not outstanding. It is quite a typical city really, and I know many “suburbs” of a similar size and attractiveness that offers everything Christchurch has and then the big city down the road. But I certainly recommend a visit when you are in New Zealand.
Christchurch is outstanding. Christchurch is a unique city, so it can't be typical. - These are facts. I would like to know these "suburbs" that offer what CHC has, as I said CHC is unique - that's a fact - so there is nowhere in the world that offers exactly what Christchurch does. Nope nowhere.

Can we agree to disagree?

Last edited by Cartel; June 2nd, 2007 at 12:23 PM.
Old April 20th, 2007, 10:57 PM   #25
Bruno_BL
Brasileiro, sempre.

Likes (Received): 142

I'm thinking about go to New zealand in january, and surely i will go to christchurch!!
Bruno_BL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2007, 11:04 PM   #26
cementationfurnace

Likes (Received): 21

I spent four months in Christchurch last year - a beautiful little city! Thank you for sharing the photos.
cementationfurnace no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2007, 11:06 PM   #27
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6560

beautiful pics
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2007, 11:19 PM   #28
dj21

Likes (Received): 181

very beaultiful city!!
I have no words
dj21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2007, 07:09 PM   #29
Cartel
Registered Abuser

Such nice comments guys, it's great!

Last edited by Cartel; April 22nd, 2007 at 06:36 AM.
Old April 22nd, 2007, 07:52 AM   #30
Cartel
Registered Abuser

Some night views from the Port Hills

Last edited by Cartel; May 31st, 2007 at 09:49 AM.
Old April 22nd, 2007, 04:10 PM   #31
Cartel
Registered Abuser

From my hood

Last edited by Cartel; May 31st, 2007 at 09:52 AM.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 11:07 AM   #32
Cartel
Registered Abuser

Some street performers in Cathedral Square.

The World buskers festival is held in CHC every january/febuary - i forget which. If you get the chance and like to laugh and see people acting like idiots it's something you should see at least once in your lifetime...

Last edited by Cartel; May 13th, 2007 at 11:23 AM.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 12:19 PM   #33
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 780

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartel View Post
Christchurch is outstanding. Christchurch is a unique city, so it can't be typical. - These are facts. I would like to know these "suburbs" that offer what CHC has, as I said CHC is unique - that's a fact - so there is nowhere in the world that offers exactly what Christchurch does. Nope nowhere.

Can we agree to disagree?
Please don’t get me wrong, I am certainly not saying anything bad about Christchurch. It is a very nice small city. Like any city on this planet, it is unique – all cities, regardless of their size are unique. I was just confused as to why you would consider it one of the most beautiful cities in the world, as although it is certainly charming, there are many cities out there which people would consider more beautiful.

My comment about suburbs is true, as remember, there are many large cities out there with suburbs bigger than Christchurch. Some of these suburbs are big enough to act like cities in their own right. My own suburb where I live has more museums than Christchurch, more bars and restaurants, a subway system (of cause that connects to the main cities) one of the world’s largest urban forests etc, and it is still only a suburb.

I really like Christchurch, but I did find it rather sleepy for a city. Some people of cause love that, and prefer that, so each to their own. Myself? I prefer a bit more zest in a place. This is a very open and honest reply. I am not knocking the place, just giving my point of view.

By the way, you are welcome to tell me what Christchurch has that is above most other cities in the world :O)
Old April 23rd, 2007, 11:38 PM   #34
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme View Post
Please don’t get me wrong, I am certainly not saying anything bad about Christchurch. It is a very nice small city. Like any city on this planet, it is unique – all cities, regardless of their size are unique. I was just confused as to why you would consider it one of the most beautiful cities in the world, as although it is certainly charming, there are many cities out there which people would consider more beautiful.

My comment about suburbs is true, as remember, there are many large cities out there with suburbs bigger than Christchurch. Some of these suburbs are big enough to act like cities in their own right. My own suburb where I live has more museums than Christchurch, more bars and restaurants, a subway system (of cause that connects to the main cities) one of the world’s largest urban forests etc, and it is still only a suburb.

I really like Christchurch, but I did find it rather sleepy for a city. Some people of cause love that, and prefer that, so each to their own. Myself? I prefer a bit more zest in a place. This is a very open and honest reply. I am not knocking the place, just giving my point of view.

By the way, you are welcome to tell me what Christchurch has that is above most other cities in the world :O)
Hi Mate Let's compare apples with apples and not apples with pears here - Frankfurt is waaaaay bigger than Christchurch (approx. 5 million - right ?) and Christchurch has an approximate population of 360 000. There is a HUGE difference. No wonder the suburbs can't be compared to the likes of Frankfurt. You must also remember that Frankfurt is based in Europe with large towns and cities within close proximity to each other, Christchurch is fairly isolated and is surrounded by farms and more farms. Then there is history - no discussion needed here. Some logic will go a long way

Last edited by SYDNEY; April 23rd, 2007 at 11:48 PM.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 11:50 PM   #35
alitezar
Persian 44

Likes (Received): 5593

What a beautiful thread Cartel. ChristChurch looks so gorgeous.
alitezar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2007, 05:09 PM   #36
Cartel
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by alitezar View Post
What a beautiful thread Cartel. ChristChurch looks so gorgeous.
Thankyou my Persian friend! Come back again, it will only get better

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENIGMA View Post
Hi Mate Let's compare apples with apples and not apples with pears here - Frankfurt is waaaaay bigger than Christchurch (approx. 5 million - right ?) and Christchurch has an approximate population of 360 000. There is a HUGE difference. No wonder the suburbs can't be compared to the likes of Frankfurt. You must also remember that Frankfurt is based in Europe with large towns and cities within close proximity to each other, Christchurch is fairly isolated and is surrounded by farms and more farms. Then there is history - no discussion needed here. Some logic will go a long way
Thanks Syd! Some support! No discussion needed but he wants to know. You know he's right 'Justme' - 360,000 people what are you expecting, of course it's a bit sleepy - it is waking up though! Some people do love that, not me personally, I spend much of my time in the densest and one of the busiest cities of earth - Cario. That's one of the reasons why I do too. There's just some things Christchurch can't offer a BIG city lover like yourself, and me. It is small, but not as small as everyone makes it out to be! Over 500km sq built up, for some comparison it's slightly bigger than Copenhagen. I really find it hard to tell you what is so great about it, cuz it would just be 'he ses' you really have to experience it yourself, most people who will get me, will get Christchurch. Really Christchurch city & the South Island is not for everybody, obviously not you! But that's all good, I'll have it over some suburb in Germany! even if it does have better PT and more....museums. I hope you enjoy the pics and the rest of the thread regardless

Last edited by Cartel; April 24th, 2007 at 05:18 PM.
Old April 24th, 2007, 05:36 PM   #37
Cartel
Registered Abuser

Last edited by Cartel; May 13th, 2007 at 11:15 AM.
Old April 25th, 2007, 09:44 AM   #38
Cartel
Registered Abuser

This next section of the thread is due in part to a special request by ENIGMA.

SOL Square, Lichfield Lanes & (south) High Street Precinct - Part I -

Located in a south/east corner of central Christchurch. We will start with an overview of the area. This part of the city is currently undergoing the first stage in a major development/revitalization project. This stage is concentrating on redeveloping a large network of old lanes & alleyways into a living, shopping, drinking & entertainment hub.

Last edited by Cartel; May 31st, 2007 at 09:55 AM.
Old April 25th, 2007, 09:57 AM   #39
Cartel
Registered Abuser

Part 1 to continue on following page.

Last edited by Cartel; May 13th, 2007 at 01:22 PM.
Old April 25th, 2007, 10:12 AM   #40
Sukkiri

Likes (Received): 46

I like the inner city older buildings and tree-lined streets but the city is very spread out. Sprawl alert!