daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 25th, 2007, 10:14 AM   #41
Cartel
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 3

Last edited by Cartel; May 13th, 2007 at 01:37 PM.
Cartel no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 25th, 2007, 11:42 AM   #42
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

WOW Cartel ..... these are the best pics yet. Thanks mate
Old April 25th, 2007, 11:57 AM   #43
Mr_kiwi_fruit

Likes (Received): 1661

Great work Cartel and this is one cool capture !
Old April 25th, 2007, 03:28 PM   #44
Cartel
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukkiri View Post
I like the inner city older buildings and tree-lined streets but the city is very spread out. Sprawl alert!
Oh yeah, and it's still growing out even more. It's been said before that 'sprawl' is such a cool word in chch.
Old April 25th, 2007, 03:29 PM   #45
Cartel
Registered Abuser

thanks you 2!
Old April 25th, 2007, 06:07 PM   #46
Davee
A Christchurch Son

Likes (Received): 49

Excellent!

It is great to see that so many of the late Victorian and Edwardian buildings of early CHC are still standing and being used. This whole southern side of the city redevelopment is a MAJOR project and will is very much in tune with with the current councils plan of creating a very unique environment in a modern city. CHC can still boast of some of the best examples of Victorian and Edwardian achitecture left in a city centre - this is now being developed a local, national and international attraction, so in the years to come this Quater of the city will be a desired place to eat, drink, socalise stay and live

The Christchurch City Council Development Plan details a lot of what is planned and going on.

"Fide Condita, Fructu Beata, Spe Fortis"
"Founded in Faith, Rich in the Fruits of the Earth and Her Industry, Bold is Her Claim on the Future"

The Garden City
Davee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 07:19 PM   #47
Davee
A Christchurch Son

Quote:
I like the inner city older buildings and tree-lined streets but the city is very spread out. Sprawl alert!
Sprawl alert is being taken seriously by the council and indeed in a major document to be signed by the Prime Minister latter this year on the future of NZ second largest city, features reduction of sprawl as a major part, with redevelopment of the city centre as some of the exciting focuses of development for our wonderful city

Most of the pictures Cartel has posted shows the southern part of the inner city which with the northern, western and eastern sections form a 1 mile square (like the city of London) bound by 3 major avenues form a large urban park (Hagley Park) which are the boundries of the City Centre. At present about 9000 live in this area, with the aim of 30,000+ people living there over the coming decade and beyod

Still, for a city with a population of 389,000 and metro of 430,000+ the sprawl problem is not to bad compared say with whats happening here in the UK.

"Founded in Faith, Rich in the Fruits of the Earth and Her Industry, Bold is Her Claim on the Future"

The Garden City
Old April 26th, 2007, 04:58 AM   #48
Cartel
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEugene View Post
Excellent!

It is great to see that so many of the late Victorian and Edwardian buildings of early CHC are still standing and being used. This whole southern side of the city redevelopment is a MAJOR project and will is very much in tune with with the current councils plan of creating a very unique environment in a modern city. CHC can still boast of some of the best examples of Victorian and Edwardian achitecture left
in a city centre - this is now being developed a local, national and international attraction, so in the years to come this Quater of the city will be a desired place to eat, drink, socalise stay and live
Very much so David, this certainly will be one of the places to be in NZ over the years to come! UNESCO also thought that central Christchurch was home to some of the best Victorian and Edwardian architecture, so they are considering it for World Heritage status, funny though, the area being considered doesn't include the parts I've shown, just the 'cultural' precinct, west of Cathedral Square.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEugene View Post
Sprawl alert is being taken seriously by the council and indeed in a major document to be signed by the Prime Minister latter this year on the future of NZ second largest city, features reduction of sprawl as a major part, with redevelopment of the city centre as some of the exciting focuses of development for our wonderful city

Most of the pictures Cartel has posted shows the southern part of the inner city which with the northern, western and eastern sections form a 1 mile square (like the city of London) bound by 3 major avenues form a large urban park (Hagley Park) which are the boundries of the City Centre. At present about 9000 live in this area, with the aim of 30,000+ people living there over the coming decade and beyod
Interesting to note about London city, it also
has the same population - 9000, but both areas have large working populations, Christchurch - around 60,000 and London around 300,000.

Central Christchurch area is 2km x 2km, exclusive of Hagley Park.

You can see it's clearly defined by the 6 lane avenues which surround it.
Old April 26th, 2007, 10:16 AM   #49
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENIGMA View Post
Hi Mate Let's compare apples with apples and not apples with pears here - Frankfurt is waaaaay bigger than Christchurch (approx. 5 million - right ?) and Christchurch has an approximate population of 360 000. There is a HUGE difference. No wonder the suburbs can't be compared to the likes of Frankfurt. You must also remember that Frankfurt is based in Europe with large towns and cities within close proximity to each other, Christchurch is fairly isolated and is surrounded by farms and more farms. Then there is history - no discussion needed here. Some logic will go a long way

Hang on a sec. Cartel never mentioned Christchurch was one of the best and most beautiful cities in the world in the 300,000 - 400,000 range. He said it was one of the most beautiful period. That clearly means he was also comparing it to larger cities. This is the logic you seek?
Old April 26th, 2007, 10:29 AM   #50
Justme
Gotta lite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartel View Post
Thanks Syd! Some support! No discussion needed but he wants to know. You know he's right 'Justme' - 360,000 people what are you expecting, of course it's a bit sleepy - it is waking up though! Some people do love that, not me personally, I spend much of my time in the densest and one of the busiest cities of earth - Cario. That's one of the reasons why I do too.
As pointed out, you did write about it being one of the most beautiful cities in the world. That does include larger cities. Maybe you should have narrowed the gap a bit by suggesting most beautiful city under 400,000. Then again, I would still have begged to differ.

But don't take it to heart. I am not knocking Christchurch at all. However, you must realize that if you offer a statement that your city is possibly the most beautiful in the world, then you should be prepared for a healthy debate over it.

Quote:
There's just some things Christchurch can't offer a BIG city lover like yourself, and me. It is small, but not as small as everyone makes it out to be! Over 500km sq built up, for some comparison it's slightly bigger than Copenhagen.
It is as small as I make out. 360,000 is very small for a city. And I believe the metropolitan area is under 400,000. To compare it with Copenhagen size wise simply shows that Christchurch is very low density and sprawling. This decreases pedestrian street activity and actually makes a city quieter than it would be if it was more dense.

Quote:
I really find it hard to tell you what is so great about it, cuz it would just be 'he ses' you really have to experience it yourself, most people who will get me, will get Christchurch. Really Christchurch city & the South Island is not for everybody, obviously not you! But that's all good, I'll have it over some suburb in Germany! even if it does have better PT and more....museums. I hope you enjoy the pics and the rest of the thread regardless
I'm sure Christchurch is the perfect city for you, and it would be great for many other people as well. But remember, it was you who stated that it was the most beautiful city in the world. By this statement, you have to assume that not everyone in the world would agree with you, and I am simply one who doesn't.

I am not saying Christchurch is ugly. It's not. It is in fact a beautiful city. But simply one of many around the world, and in my opinion about average in the list.

I am not saying Christchurch is boring. It's not. But I can think of many cities around the world that have more to offer - for my tastes anyway. It is also extremely remote and this for me would be a negative aspect of the city.

And yes, I really do appreciate the photos you have been posting on this city. They have brought back some fond memories of when I lived there and I hope you continue to post more photos.

But please don't think a healthy, friendly debate like I am offering is an offence to your thread. We live in a free society that encourages debate, and from my experience in New Zealand, I believe such things are also appreciated there. :O)
Old April 26th, 2007, 10:34 AM   #51
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme View Post
Hang on a sec. Cartel never mentioned Christchurch was one of the best and most beautiful cities in the world in the 300,000 - 400,000 range. He said it was one of the most beautiful period. That clearly means he was also comparing it to larger cities. This is the logic you seek?
I can't speak on behalf of Catel. I responded to this part ....

"My comment about suburbs is true, as remember, there are many large cities out there with suburbs bigger than Christchurch. Some of these suburbs are big enough to act like cities in their own right. My own suburb where I live has more museums than Christchurch, more bars and restaurants, a subway system (of cause that connects to the main cities) one of the world’s largest urban forests etc, and it is still only a suburb."

Therein lies the logic.
Old April 26th, 2007, 11:47 AM   #52
Justme
Gotta lite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENIGMA View Post
I can't speak on behalf of Catel. I responded to this part ....

"My comment about suburbs is true, as remember, there are many large cities out there with suburbs bigger than Christchurch. Some of these suburbs are big enough to act like cities in their own right. My own suburb where I live has more museums than Christchurch, more bars and restaurants, a subway system (of cause that connects to the main cities) one of the world’s largest urban forests etc, and it is still only a suburb."

Therein lies the logic.
And the problem there is... what exactly? I can't help it if my suburb has more bars, clubs and restaurants than Christchurch. I don't claim however that it is the most beautiful or dynamic suburb in the world. I would certainly never do such a thing.

It does seem to me that some people here wish to stifle debate. I simply suggested that my opinion differs in the matter of Christchurch being the most beautiful city in the world.

I would like to emphasize that I don’t dislike this city. For a city of it’s size, it is very nice. I love the Avon river, absolutely, as it is so cute. Hagley Park is beautiful, in fact, Christchurch does very well for nice parks. I will even say that Hagley Park is better than any central Frankfurt park – no doubt about that (But many other cities around the world have just as great central city parks)

Allow honest fair debate to continue.

Last edited by Justme; April 26th, 2007 at 11:56 AM.
Justme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2007, 02:02 PM   #53
Sukkiri

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Oh yeah, and it's still growing out even more. It's been said before that 'sprawl' is such a cool word in chch.
It still looks very nice as a city. Judging by some of the projects shown on the New Zealand forum, Christchurch is set to get some more higher density buildings. My favorite city in New Zealand.
Old April 26th, 2007, 04:02 PM   #54
Davee
A Christchurch Son

Quote:
It still looks very nice as a city. Judging by some of the projects shown on the New Zealand forum, Christchurch is set to get some more higher density buildings. My favorite city in New Zealand.
that's nice.

The Garden City
Old April 27th, 2007, 08:09 AM   #55
Cartel
Registered Abuser

Quote:
That's awesome man, Sydney is my favourite city in Aussie too!

The city is currently having major debates and strategies on how to deal with the new growth, we are getting some higher desnity buildings but still just as many big subdivisions on the edge of the city. The plan in the near future is to at least triple the population within the avenues, so over the years to come it will get much denser
Old April 27th, 2007, 08:20 AM   #56
Cartel
Registered Abuser

Quote:
And the problem there is... what exactly? I can't help it if my suburb has more bars, clubs and restaurants than Christchurch. I don't claim however that it is the most beautiful or dynamic suburb in the world. I would certainly never do such a thing.

It does seem to me that some people here wish to stifle debate. I simply suggested that my opinion differs in the matter of Christchurch being the most beautiful city in the world.

I would like to emphasize that I don’t dislike this city. For a city of it’s size, it is very nice. I love the Avon river, absolutely, as it is so cute. Hagley Park is beautiful, in fact, Christchurch does very well for nice parks. I will even say that Hagley Park is better than any central Frankfurt park – no doubt about that (But many other cities around the world have just as great central city parks)

Oh come on man, give it a rest. Yes honest fair debate is encouraged but I really can't understand what this debate is about, it sounds like you just want an argument for arguments sake. I have much better things to do with my time than defend my thoughts about this place - these wont change. I wasn't trying to stifle debate at all, I had no idea that the quote in my first post was so objective, it's just someone's opinion! And yes it was to mean one of the most beautiful cities/islands period, not in any population bracket that would just be silly! Enough already.
I think you've made your point that you disagree, I'm very happy with this, I really couldn't care less so please don't expect a reply from any subsequent posts of a similar nature.
Old April 27th, 2007, 09:10 AM   #57
Justme
Gotta lite?

Quote:
Oh come on man, give it a rest. Yes honest fair debate is encouraged but I really can't understand what this debate is about, it sounds like you just want an argument for arguments sake. I have much better things to do with my time than defend my thoughts about this place - these wont change. I wasn't trying to stifle debate at all, I had no idea that the quote in my first post was so objective, it's just someone's opinion! And yes it was to mean one of the most beautiful cities/islands period, not in any population bracket that would just be silly! Enough already.
I think you've made your point that you disagree, I'm very happy with this, I really couldn't care less so please don't expect a reply from any subsequent posts of a similar nature.
No need to get all worked up ;O) Relax, have a beer. Do they still drink Lion Beer down there or is that more up in Auckland?

Just a small lesson though here. If you tell a global audience an opinion, expect a response ;O)
Old April 27th, 2007, 04:14 PM   #58
isoboy

Well, my opinion is that Christchurch is a great little city with lots going for it. The CDB is extensive and interesting, with its Cathedral, trams, squares, lots of preserved 'historic' Victorian buildings, and architectural styles ranging from Gothic to Spanish Mission. Some great cafes and restaurants, too!

The city's parks are AMAZING: the parkland along the Avon is picturesque beyond words; and Hagley Park and the Botanic Gardens are like enchanted forests.

And the setting is superb, with the Port Hills literally at the city's doorstep and the Southern Alps in the background.

On the downside, I find a lot of the suburbs quite mediocre. I know suburbs everywere can be mediocre, but too much Christchurch suburbia seems pinched and somehow frugal. This is true of NZ suburbs generally, though - the quality of housing seems a touch substandard and cheap to my eyes - so it's not particularly a Christchurch thing. And there are definitely exceptions in Christchurch to this 'rule'; and the household gardens in the suburbs are generally pretty, even when the housing is crap.

Public transport could be better, too. The bus system is halfway decent, but PT could be better in Christchurch (as it could be in most cities).

Overall, though, I think it's a really nice city, with a very pleasant atmosphere, and if I had to move to another city in this part of the world, Christchurch would be my second choice after Melbourne.

Last edited by isoboy; April 27th, 2007 at 04:22 PM.
isoboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2007, 04:28 AM   #59
Cartel
Registered Abuser

Very good isoboy. I will pretty much agree with everything you just said, NZ suburbs in general are, pretty average. But still we have a few pretty nice ones here too. Cashmere, and surrounds in chch, is very nice for example.

Great to see the Aussies showing an interest in this city.

I'll post part 2 of previous series very soon and will have the most recent pics of that area.
Old April 28th, 2007, 04:52 AM   #60
aucklandman
Ben

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:

I will have to agree with 'JustMe' here...

Cartel can you justify why Christchurch is?

Auckland Motorways: www.aucklandmotorways.co.nz | www.traffic.aucklandmotorways.co.nz
aucklandman no está en línea   Reply With Quote