daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old April 28th, 2007, 09:48 AM   #61
TonyNZ
Registered User
 
TonyNZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Christchurch
Posts: 1,135
Likes (Received): 95

Heres some of my own & Cartels pictures of Christchurch and its surrounds. Hope you dont mind me posting Cartel.


Port Hills:











City:




















































Airport:






Last edited by TonyNZ; April 28th, 2007 at 10:04 AM.
TonyNZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 28th, 2007, 05:09 PM   #62
Cartel
Registered Abuser
 
Cartel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, Cairo, Denpasar
Posts: 1,552
Likes (Received): 3

Hey some great pics there Tony. Looks like you went up to Godly Head, did you get to where all the tunnels & gun placements are?
Cartel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2007, 05:11 PM   #63
Cartel
Registered Abuser
 
Cartel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, Cairo, Denpasar
Posts: 1,552
Likes (Received): 3

SOL Square, Lichfield Lanes & (south) High Street Precinct - Part II - 52 pics


Last edited by Cartel; May 25th, 2007 at 12:21 PM.
Cartel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2007, 05:26 PM   #64
Cartel
Registered Abuser
 
Cartel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, Cairo, Denpasar
Posts: 1,552
Likes (Received): 3

Part I of Part II

As you can see the majority of these lanes are currently being or are yet to be developed






































Last edited by Cartel; May 25th, 2007 at 12:21 PM.
Cartel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2007, 05:36 PM   #65
Cartel
Registered Abuser
 
Cartel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, Cairo, Denpasar
Posts: 1,552
Likes (Received): 3

Part II of II







]






























I know it's not much now but it promises to be great when it's done. Maybe we will move on to some prettier photos next

Last edited by Cartel; May 25th, 2007 at 01:31 PM.
Cartel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2007, 05:08 AM   #66
Cartel
Registered Abuser
 
Cartel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, Cairo, Denpasar
Posts: 1,552
Likes (Received): 3

Port Hills (left) above & Lyttleton Harbour behind CHC city


Last edited by Cartel; May 25th, 2007 at 01:31 PM.
Cartel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2007, 07:03 AM   #67
CrazyAboutCities
Registered User
 
CrazyAboutCities's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Seattle, Washington
Posts: 8,549
Likes (Received): 240

WOW!

WOW! Thanks for the pictures of Christchurch! It gave me alot of ideas what Christchurch is like... It is way different than I imagined when my friend that went there described. To be honest, some of pictures are very depressing because it is very sad to see some beautiful old buildings being abandoned or damaged by taggings. It remind me of Buffalo, New York or Nagiara Falls, Canada. I am very happy that I read that Christchurch is in process being redeveloped which is great for city of Christchrch! However, I like to see these beautiful old buildings being saved from being demolished and improve it and make it alive again.

I am curious why did someone named that city, "Christchurch"? Is it religious city?
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2007, 01:31 PM   #68
isoboy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Brisbane/Sydney
Posts: 539
Likes (Received): 3

Lots of potential (and good to see it being realised in some cases) in those lanes. Chc seems to be going along the Melbourne route of rejuvinating its lanes and filling them with cool cafes, artworks etc.
isoboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2007, 04:22 PM   #69
Davee
A Christchurch Son
 
Davee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Christchurch
Posts: 4,528
Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyAboutCities View Post
WOW! Thanks for the pictures of Christchurch!

I am curious why did someone named that city, "Christchurch"? Is it religious city?

Christchurch's named after the largest and riches college of the University of Oxford - ChristChurch. It happened to be the old college of a number of the founders of the City of Christchurch. CHC is the capital of the Provence of Canterbury (named after the see and archbishop of Canterbury UK) in NZ.

It does have a strong religious foundation - the entire city is based and built around the beautiful Anglican Cathedral in the Square. It was founded very much as an Anglican bastion in the South Seas. The planning of the CHC happended in the 1840's, and the "first offical" settlers arrived in 1850 (although there had been Europeans living in the area since the 1830's and the native Maori people had live in the city area for over 800 - 1000 years. Queen Victoria made Christchurch NZ's first city by Royal Charter in 1856 and at the same time the Archbishop of Canterbury and the Queen created the Diocese of Christchurch, the first in NZ. Bishop John Harper was the first Bishop.

BUT...........

Just like every other new town and city in the Victorian age - it had all the same social problems like any other fledgling town. It had it's on share of pubs and ***** houses that made it a very normal type of place.

Christchurch today is the same as any other city in the world. What it does have though, as a reminder of its Ecclesiastical start, is two beautiful Cathedrals (Anglican & Roman), a host of lovely churchs and streets named after many of the Diocese found in the UK and around the world.
__________________
Christchurch

"Fide Condita, Fructu Beata, Spe Fortis"
"Founded in Faith, Rich in the Fruits of the Earth and Her Industry, Bold is Her Claim on the Future"

The Garden City
Davee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2007, 04:32 PM   #70
MaLaYSia aNd KoREa!!
ANnYOng hEsAYo!!!sElamAt!
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: KL
Posts: 102
Likes (Received): 0

wow..what an impressive city!!i almost got there last year....
__________________

I love Malaysia and Korea!
MaLaYSia aNd KoREa!! no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2007, 01:37 AM   #71
CrazyAboutCities
Registered User
 
CrazyAboutCities's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Seattle, Washington
Posts: 8,549
Likes (Received): 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEugene View Post
Christchurch's named after the largest and riches college of the University of Oxford - ChristChurch. It happened to be the old college of a number of the founders of the City of Christchurch. CHC is the capital of the Provence of Canterbury (named after the see and archbishop of Canterbury UK) in NZ.

It does have a strong religious foundation - the entire city is based and built around the beautiful Anglican Cathedral in the Square. It was founded very much as an Anglican bastion in the South Seas. The planning of the CHC happended in the 1840's, and the "first offical" settlers arrived in 1850 (although there had been Europeans living in the area since the 1830's and the native Maori people had live in the city area for over 800 - 1000 years. Queen Victoria made Christchurch NZ's first city by Royal Charter in 1856 and at the same time the Archbishop of Canterbury and the Queen created the Diocese of Christchurch, the first in NZ. Bishop John Harper was the first Bishop.

BUT...........

Just like every other new town and city in the Victorian age - it had all the same social problems like any other fledgling town. It had it's on share of pubs and ***** houses that made it a very normal type of place.

Christchurch today is the same as any other city in the world. What it does have though, as a reminder of its Ecclesiastical start, is two beautiful Cathedrals (Anglican & Roman), a host of lovely churchs and streets named after many of the Diocese found in the UK and around the world.
Wow! That is very interesting story about Christchurch! Thanks for sharing! I'm curious how far is Christchurch from Auckland? Is Christchurch a conversative city?
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2007, 12:21 PM   #72
Cartel
Registered Abuser
 
Cartel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, Cairo, Denpasar
Posts: 1,552
Likes (Received): 3

@David - The Maori aren't native to New Zealand David
they arrived on boats form far away lands like many other New Zealanders did.

@CrazyAboutCities - No it's not conservative, some people may try to tell you different, but they really wont know they city, and they speak ignorance and ill-education.

I think it's about 1200 km between Auckland and Christchurch, on different islands and a world apart, both physically and metaphysically. Apart from sharing the same flag and currency there are very little similarities between the two.

Last edited by Cartel; April 30th, 2007 at 12:27 PM.
Cartel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2007, 12:41 PM   #73
Cartel
Registered Abuser
 
Cartel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, Cairo, Denpasar
Posts: 1,552
Likes (Received): 3

Some sheep chilling and watching the vast city lights

Edit.

Last edited by Cartel; May 31st, 2007 at 10:11 AM.
Cartel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2007, 01:15 PM   #74
Justme
Gotta lite?
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Manchester (Forecast: Rain)
Posts: 4,948
Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartel View Post
I think it's about 1200 km between Auckland and Christchurch, on different islands and a world apart, both physically and metaphysically. Apart from sharing the same flag and currency there are very little similarities between the two.
757km between Auckland and Christchurch as the crow flies. Different of cause by road or train (and the ferry in between)
__________________
I'm doing my bit to save bandwidth by deleting my signature
Justme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2007, 01:15 PM   #75
Jean Baptiste
Jesu Beau Dieu
 
Jean Baptiste's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartel View Post
@David - The Maori aren't native to New Zealand David
they arrived on boats form far away lands like many other New Zealanders did.
I thought they were?
__________________
Regina caeli laetare!
Tota pulchra es, Maria, et facies tua sicut sol,
Alleluia!
Jean Baptiste no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2007, 01:24 PM   #76
Cartel
Registered Abuser
 
Cartel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, Cairo, Denpasar
Posts: 1,552
Likes (Received): 3

Edit.

Last edited by Cartel; May 25th, 2007 at 01:33 PM.
Cartel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2007, 01:27 PM   #77
Cartel
Registered Abuser
 
Cartel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, Cairo, Denpasar
Posts: 1,552
Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme View Post
757km between Auckland and Christchurch as the crow flies. Different of cause by road or train (and the ferry in between)
Oh, don't know where I got 1200 from

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Baptiste View Post
I thought they were?

No no, it is however a commonly held misconception.
They just came here before the Europeans, 600-800 years before.
Cartel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2007, 01:46 PM   #78
yellow15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Auckland
Posts: 184
Likes (Received): 26

Queenstown - one of the my favourite holiday destination in the world.




Near Queenstown


Milford Sound


yellow15 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2007, 01:48 PM   #79
Cartel
Registered Abuser
 
Cartel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, Cairo, Denpasar
Posts: 1,552
Likes (Received): 3

Thanks for that Richard

Queenstown is pretty damn cool.
Cartel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2007, 02:05 PM   #80
yellow15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Auckland
Posts: 184
Likes (Received): 26

Yes Queenstown is really cool. And i like Christchurch a lot too (being there many times for work, holiday or study reasons) but don't know why i can't find any of my chch photos

sorry Cartel
yellow15 no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium