daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area

Manchester Metro Area For Manchester, Salford and the surrounding area.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 11th, 2010, 12:50 AM   #21
roverman

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDX View Post
Don't know how reliable this site is, old news?

http://www.constructionenquirer.com/...-student-digs/

Went to committee back in September, still showing as pending,
093074/FO/2010/S1

http://www.worthingtons.co.uk/Student%20housing.html
I hope it's going ahead. Anything to get the little darlings back towards campus and out of all the family houses they have colonised in Withington.
roverman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 30th, 2011, 07:13 PM   #22
nq

Manor Salford app:
http://publicaccess.salford.gov.uk/p...=LF20ZANP5Y000

That Jabez conversion app has been approved.
http://pa.manchester.gov.uk/online-a...=L2PI62BC6K000
nq no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2011, 08:25 PM   #23
Chogmook
Mancunian Member

Likes (Received): 60

Oooh I don't mind that, looks to have been completely overhauled from the old design (not the Alsop one, as this is the plot next to it I believe), I'll see if I can find the original!
Old April 1st, 2011, 10:17 PM   #24
nq

So Manor have put in both apps, here's 'Manor Point', 676 bed 8 storey prop,
http://pa.manchester.gov.uk/online-a...=LDKBNOBC6K000

http://www.manorpropertygroup.com/student5.html
nq no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2011, 07:07 PM   #25
jrb
10th February 2008

Likes (Received): 3218

It's a beast. And an ugly one at that. What is it with all these student blocks looking like a pile of............(fill in as appropriate)

Place North West.

Quote:
Manor awaits decision on student housing in Hulme

5 May 2011, 18:33

Manor Property Group has applied for full planning permission for an eight storey block of 676 student apartments at Coupland Street in Hulme, south Manchester.

The Yorkshire-based developer submitted proposals in December last year and Manchester City Council has stated a determination deadline on the application is 23 June 2011.

Bill Addy, from Manor Property Group, said: "Manor recognises the strategic importance of the Coupland Street site which is within walking distance of both the University of Manchester and Manchester Metropolitan University. In addition it will create an opportunity to meet the growing demand for high quality independent student accommodation in the city. We hope to be able to start on the site later this summer and be ready for occupancy from September 2013."

Manor Property Group acquired the brownfield site for £36m in January last year and regarded the scheme as the start of regeneration around a planned £100m Birley Fields campus by Manchester Metropolitan University.

Architect Carey Jones Chapmantolcher has designed the scheme, known as Manor Point, and the developer said the site is earmarked for development as part of the council's Corridor Manchester Strategic Vision.

Manor hopes its plans meet with the council's general policy which seeks to bring about the lasting regeneration of Hulme.

Colin Wilson, from The Planning Studio in Manchester, who has provided the planning and regeneration statement for the application, added: "This is a unique and exciting opportunity to deliver a major student accommodation development for this derelict site together with a significant number of jobs. It is in a prime university location and will regenerate an area that has been derelict for a number of years."

The site is located near Oxford Road and Piccadilly railway stations.

The proposals include en-suite bedrooms, shared kitchens and communal facilities. Subject to planning approval, the development will also provide a gym, laundry, and internet café, as well as 21,527 sq ft of offices with 13 car parking spaces.

Manor expects 300 construction and supplier jobs to be created during the build phase if the scheme gets the green light.
jrb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2011, 07:10 PM   #26
Irish Blood English Heart
Letting off the happiness

Likes (Received): 152

Wow that is ugly. Can anyone help place this in Hulme for me?
Irish Blood English Heart está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2011, 07:54 PM   #27
Hull

Likes (Received): 15

Hi I'm from the Hull and Humber forum and follow this thread however do not usually contribute, any way Id just like to either warn you or assure you, this will probably not get built.

Manor property are a developer who acquire sites at low cost rates and just sit on the land for the simple reason of making a profit. They have sites across the north and have done for five years (maybe more)and there still have not laid one brick on any of there sites. I understand that some projects are big projects and take a lot of time to put together however they have a lot of sites that are small scale or renovation projects, five years is a long time for these sort of projects (I should know being a architect and all). They also have several 'dodgy dealings' within there company however you'd have to ask my fellow forumers on the hull and Humber forum for more info.

Hope this is informative and I hope you don't mind me err sticking around?
Hull no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2011, 09:02 PM   #28
future.architect
Far East London

Likes (Received): 463

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull View Post
Hi I'm from the Hull and Humber forum and follow this thread however do not usually contribute, any way Id just like to either warn you or assure you, this will probably not get built.

Manor property are a developer who acquire sites at low cost rates and just sit on the land for the simple reason of making a profit. They have sites across the north and have done for five years (maybe more)and there still have not laid one brick on any of there sites. I understand that some projects are big projects and take a lot of time to put together however they have a lot of sites that are small scale or renovation projects, five years is a long time for these sort of projects (I should know being a architect and all). They also have several 'dodgy dealings' within there company however you'd have to ask my fellow forumers on the hull and Humber forum for more info.

Hope this is informative and I hope you don't mind me err sticking around?
I hope you are right, that thing is an abomination.

>>>Like house music? Click here!<<<
future.architect no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2011, 04:11 AM   #29
Nathan Dawz
Makin all KINDS of gains!

Likes (Received): 1339

I don't mind it too much actually. It will certainly have a presence!

Basically with today's student blocks they're looking for volume (as the report says, there's high demand for high-quality independent student rooms) - that's why all these buildings are large and bulky.

But I've seen a lot worse than this. It doesn't seem too bad if you ask me.
Nathan Dawz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 06:52 PM   #30
skit_uk
Towerholic

Likes (Received): 7

Thanks for the warning Hull. As you probably know we already had problems with a certain previous developer who had a similar business model.
Old May 11th, 2011, 07:00 PM   #31
kids

Likes (Received): 172

I'm pretty sure manor have already got a hall in hulme so I can see this happening.. that or sell it on with PP. No point sitting on something like this in Hulme, too much money to be made.
kids no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2011, 04:31 PM   #32
jrb
10th February 2008

I like. (who says student accomodation has to look s***?)

Just off Oxford Road, across from the Whitworth Art Gallery. Huge empty plot of land.

Juts gone in.

Reference:
096176/FO/2011/C1
Alternative Reference:
PP-01467129
Application Received:
03 May 2011
Address:
Former Ducie Court, Denmark Road Moss Side Manchester
Proposal:

66 self contained flats to accommodate 614 bedrooms in total, together with ground floor commercial units, basement car parking and associated landscaping, following demolition of existing building

Application Pending Consideration

Docs. http://www.publicaccess.manchester.g...176/FO/2011/C1

Hodder.

Old May 12th, 2011, 04:39 PM   #33
flange

Likes (Received): 732

That does look good for student accommodation, is this the empty plot jrb.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&so...44.45,,0,-3.51
flange no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2011, 04:54 PM   #34
jrb
10th February 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by flange View Post
That does look good for student accommodation, is this the empty plot jrb.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&so...44.45,,0,-3.51
That's the one Flange.
Old May 12th, 2011, 06:10 PM   #35
pixel2006

Likes (Received): 1

Yeah, looks good.

As an aside, I wonder what impact it will have on the electricity generation from those solar panels on the building to the left on the render? They could be in for a shock, well in winter maybe.
pixel2006 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2011, 10:20 AM   #36
Hull

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kids
I'm pretty sure manor have already got a hall in hulme so I can see this happening.. that or sell it on with PP. No point sitting on something like this in Hulme, too much money to be made.
Well the thing is they do this with all there projects, there projects in hull apparently have major hotel operators lined up yet the just come up with petty excuses to prevent construction from starting.
Hull no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2011, 12:55 PM   #37

Are those new student halls going up where that half finished apartment building is/was? Design looks pretty good.
Old May 13th, 2011, 12:56 PM   #38

Ignore me just realised it's the other side of the park!
Old May 13th, 2011, 01:12 PM   #39
Chogmook
Mancunian Member

Likes (Received): 60

Good to see you pounding the Manc boards again IBEH!
Old May 13th, 2011, 03:39 PM   #40
kids

Likes (Received): 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull View Post
Well the thing is they do this with all there projects, there projects in hull apparently have major hotel operators lined up yet the just come up with petty excuses to prevent construction from starting.
I was wrong about them having a hall in Manchester, could have sworn I saw their logo on Cambridge street the other day. Anyway, I don't really mind the Hulme one too much, that area around coupland street/boundary lane is a dive right on the doorstep of the university, so I welcome it/anything. At least it's a perimeter block and so will contribute to the streetscape unlike the thing above on Denmark Street.
kids no está en línea   Reply With Quote