daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area

Manchester Metro Area For Manchester, Salford and the surrounding area.

Old July 18th, 2012, 08:06 PM   #101
roverman

Likes (Received): 2

Good to see developments which will pull the core of student population back closer to campus,. This in turn offers the potential to relieve suburbs like Fallowfield and Withington to return to a more mixed population and attract families and long term residents to these key inner areas.
roverman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old July 18th, 2012, 10:46 PM   #102
GShutty

Likes (Received): 386

That's very much the idea Roverman. With the 'Section 4' planning regulation now being in place, you can no longer turn a 'family home', in to an HMO dwelling for (for 3 or more individuals) without the City Council's permission and you would have to apply for this as it is now categorised as a change of use.

There have already been a number of student homes that have been sold by landlords and bought by family's, or first time buyer's and are achieving market rate rather than an being sold at an inflated premium to landlords and thus out-pricing families & FTBs.

Equally properties on what might have been considered 'student roads' that are now being sold by families, are achieving in some cases £30-£50k less than they would have achieved 12 months ago, because landlords can no longer buy them to convert in to HMOs.

Further to this properties on prime student roads such as those opposite Owen's Park, are now attracting a premium as, they are already being considered something of a rare commodity, or it is at least recognised that this could become the case as the years pass. Perhaps this is not such an issue as it could be argued that the damage has been done, depending on your perspective and these roads are almost completely student HMOs and being directly opposite Owen's Park, they serve a good purpose.

I'm looking forward to Birley Field's and other projects including this taking place and redefining and reinvigorating Hulme in to it's a vibrant area of the city.
Old July 25th, 2012, 02:59 PM   #103
Irish Blood English Heart
Letting off the happiness

Likes (Received): 125

Recently stayed at my sister's in Withington near Old Moat Park in a beautiful victorian house, was shocked to see that pretty much every house on her street was converted into an HMO when these should be prime family homes. Hopefully the trend to housing students in purpose built developments rather than family homes is one that will continue.
Irish Blood English Heart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2012, 07:08 PM   #104
jrb
10th February 2008

Likes (Received): 2190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blood English Heart View Post
Recently stayed at my sister's in Withington near Old Moat Park in a beautiful victorian house, was shocked to see that pretty much every house on her street was converted into an HMO when these should be prime family homes. Hopefully the trend to housing students in purpose built developments rather than family homes is one that will continue.
Sadly once the students leave those houses they will be let out to EU migrants and/or asylum seekers. Sadly those houses will never become family homes again.

I know from direct experience about one such house. It is now rented out by my Mum's friend to a EU migrant family. She doesn't give a shit about the house. It's falling to bits. All my Mum's friend is bothered about is the £500-£550 montgly rent she recieves from the Government.

X that across Manchester. The problem will only get worse.
jrb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2012, 03:05 PM   #105
GShutty

I disagree JRB, there are already properties that are converting back to family homes. Victoria Park is maybe a bit more of a worry for me.
Old July 26th, 2012, 07:34 PM   #106
jrb
10th February 2008

Well?

Docs are online. http://www.publicaccess.manchester.g...782/FO/2012/S1
Old July 26th, 2012, 07:38 PM   #107
Radley

Likes (Received): 5

Ooh. Good spot.
Radley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2012, 06:24 PM   #108
roverman

Likes (Received): 2

EU migrant families are families nonetheless, and I would rather live amongst people who have children and therefore are more likely to integrate into a community through schools and other networks. Students are very transient and their lifestyle is often destructive to community cohesion. I live in a mixed street in Withington and all the problems relate to the student housing. Whilst i would love to see these houses occupied by Guardian-reading Chorlton types, I'll take a chance on the migrant families, willingly. Students need to get the late night drinking and shagging out of their system somewhere where it doesn't tear communities apart, i.e. on campus.
roverman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2012, 07:14 PM   #109
nq

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb View Post
Noit a beaut by any stretch of the imagination, but a decent filler.

Docs are up.

099285/FO/2012/S1 | Erection of part 9 part 11 storey building comprising 48 units (38 x 4 bed and 10 x 3 bed) to provide student accommodation (Sui generis) | Former Gamecock Public House Boundary Lane Hulme Manchester M15 6GE

http://www.publicaccess.manchester.g...285/FO/2012/S1
This one goes to committee next week, recommended refusal. Appears to be planning history with the site, previous apartments scheme of a similar size was refused then subsequently approved on appeal.

http://www.manchester.gov.uk/egov_do...blic_House.pdf

nq no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2012, 08:20 PM   #110
flange

Likes (Received): 577

Quote:
Council to refuse Hulme student flats plan

15th August 2012

By James Graham - Business Correspondent

A PLAN to build a student accommodation block on the site of a vacant pub in Hulme could be knocked back by Manchester City Council this week.

Styal-based developer Crosslane wants to demolish the Gamecock pub on Boundary Lane and construct an 11-storey tower with 48 apartments for 180 students.

But council officers have recommended the plan is refused at a committee meeting tomorrow.

They say Crosslane has not demonstrated there is demand for the accommodation and the design would be "over-dominant" in the area.

The council has received 61 letters and a 19-name petition in protest at the plans.

They say Hulme, just south of the city centre, already has the third highest concentration of student residents at 22%.

There are also concerns over the size of the building, traffic congestion, anti-social behaviour and the loss of the pub.

The housing association Guinness Northern Counties has also objected. Crosslane, which is handling the plans through its Prime Student Living subsidiary, could not be reached for comment.
http://www.thebusinessdesk.com/northwest
flange no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2012, 02:45 PM   #111
GShutty

"They say Crosslane has not demonstrated there is demand for the accommodation".

Yet they have authorised the Birley Fields plans which will substantial student accommodation. Clearly this is their preferred development (and mine), but seems a little unfair.
Old August 16th, 2012, 03:43 PM   #112
guy debord

Likes (Received): 30

It looks revolting and the pub is great. Also, the Guinness Housing block behind it is a bit of a personal favourite and it would be a shame to see it obscured by this eyesore.

Re-open the Gamecock.
Old September 7th, 2012, 11:06 PM   #113
nq

Looks like an appeal has been initiated for Manor Property's Manor Point due to the lack of a decision. Also showing a committee date for next month?
Quote:
12/01634/NONDET Appeal Type: Appeal against Non Determination

095082/FO/2010/S1
Old September 8th, 2012, 12:50 AM   #114
js1000

Likes (Received): 548

Quote:
Originally Posted by flange View Post
Council to refuse Hulme student flats plan

15th August 2012

By James Graham - Business Correspondent

A PLAN to build a student accommodation block on the site of a vacant pub in Hulme could be knocked back by Manchester City Council this week.

Styal-based developer Crosslane wants to demolish the Gamecock pub on Boundary Lane and construct an 11-storey tower with 48 apartments for 180 students.

But council officers have recommended the plan is refused at a committee meeting tomorrow.

They say Crosslane has not demonstrated there is demand for the accommodation and the design would be "over-dominant" in the area.

The council has received 61 letters and a 19-name petition in protest at the plans.

They say Hulme, just south of the city centre, already has the third highest concentration of student residents at 22%.

There are also concerns over the size of the building, traffic congestion, anti-social behaviour and the loss of the pub.

The housing association Guinness Northern Counties has also objected. Crosslane, which is handling the plans through its Prime Student Living subsidiary, could not be reached for comment.
Laughable really...

'Loss of a pub' which is closed down? How does that work? Anti-social behaviour in Hulme? Usually its the young natives in Hulme - not the students you have to worry about. Traffic congestion? How many university students can actually afford cars these days thanks to tuition fees?

Some of the excuses put forward against planning applications these days are scandalous. Civil servants are stupid for pandering to silly arguments which don't stack up.
js1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2012, 07:05 PM   #115
jrb
10th February 2008

MEN.

Quote:
Video unearthed that gave Umist freshers a taste of student life in 1972 Manchester

They wore flares and handlebar moustaches, drank beer for 13p a pint and watched the new hit comedy Monty Python.

Vintage footage promoting student life in Manchester 40 years ago has surfaced on the internet. The 15-minute film guides newly-arrived Freshers through student etiquette of the Seventies – including how to get into student digs and what to expect from lecturers.

The nostalgic footage, from 1972, was made by the former Umist university to attract students.

The film describes the highlight of the social calendar as the ‘regular mid-week discos’.

But the annual Rag Week parade – still a major event on today’s campuses – includes wacky activities which would raise eyebrows today, including students doing battle by throwing canteen ‘waste’ at each other from large drums.

The footage was saved from the scrapheap by university worker Andy Cooper during a clear-out of the campus.

Andy, 45, an audio-visual technician, told how he stumbled across the dust-lined 16mm film.

He said: "There were a large number of film cans which had been sitting there. My supervisor told me to dump them but I asked if I could keep them.

"When I watched the film it seemed a shame to get rid of it. It sat on my shelf for a good few years until I found someone with the technology to transfer it to DVD."

The video, which appears to have been shot and scripted by undergraduates themselves, features a soundtrack by folk singer Nick Rhodes and prog-rock band Greenslade also make a brief appearance.

It proudly showcases offices and lecture theatres in the Umist campus – some of which are now being overhauled or sold-off.

Since being posted on the internet, thousands of viewers – many now in their fifties and sixties – have logged in to re-live their student days.

Andy added: "Quite a lot of people have got in touch saying they remember Umist from that time.

"One man has even left a message to say he was one of the students in the video"

Umist was one of the country’s biggest universities until it combined with Victoria University to create Manchester University in 2004.

Manchester is now one of the country’s largest and vibrant student cities with more than 100,000 students across its universities and colleges.

Changing times . . . advice for students then and now

1972:

ACCOMMODATION: "In halls of residence, students usually have their own study bedrooms and they are provided with most meals. The halls also provide libraries and common rooms for recreation. The rest live in lodging accommodation, commonly known as digs."

ENTERTAINMENT: "University socials organise regular mid-week discos for students and arrange bands for each weekend."

RAG WEEK: "Among the stunts there are street plays, the five-legged race, and of course the annual battle of the presidents between the presidents of Umist union and Owens union. The ammunition is canteen waste..."

COSTS: Free, plus annual grant of £450.

2012:

ACCOMMODATION: "An extensive range of facilities across the halls: computer clusters on site, sports facilities, music rooms, launderettes, libraries, cheap on-site bars and associations organising sports and social events throughout the year."

ENTERTAINMENT: "Manchester is a lively city buzzing with events, cinemas, clubs and bars (often with great student discounts and special offers), so you'll never be short of things to do."

RAG WEEK: "There are opportunities to boost your CV, helping you earn Manchester Leadership Programme hours and offering you all the support you need to start fundraising."

COSTS: Annual fees of £9,000, bursaries available.

Old October 17th, 2012, 05:01 PM   #116
nq

Boundary Lodge (post #106) & Manor Point both recommended refusal at committee.

http://www.manchester.gov.uk/egov_do...ndary_Lane.pdf

http://www.manchester.gov.uk/egov_do...and_Street.pdf
Old October 17th, 2012, 06:21 PM   #117
VDB

Likes (Received): 1979

Why do you think that is?
VDB está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2012, 08:10 PM   #118
urbnist

Likes (Received): 48

There looks be be two main reasons for Coupland Street:

1. Over provision of purpose built student accommodation

and

2. The impact of an additional 470 students on residential amenity (more people walking along streets according to the report!)

This is specious nonsense dressed up as policy to pacify the the usual NIMBY contingent and Hulme's ward councillors, all of whom have objected. And possibly MMU as well who are developing their own student accommodation at Birley Fields.

Two points to make in direct response:

1. Purpose-built student accommodation is supposed to be being encouraged to deal with the proliferation of HMOs in South Manchester. Therefore just let the market decide how much accommodation the city can absorb.

2. Increased footfall is almost always considered to be a positive by-product of new development in urban areas.

The reasons for refusal therefore seem contrary to other equally valid policies. So given the high quality of the Coupland Street app in particular; and the regeneration benefits both would bring to Hulme, there would seem little basis to refuse these applications. A real shame.

Last edited by urbnist; October 17th, 2012 at 09:20 PM.
urbnist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2012, 08:20 PM   #119
VDB

Likes (Received): 1979

Yeah a real shame.

God I hate NIMBYs. If they hate development, noise and busyness; why don't they go live in the suburbs or countryside?!?!?!

These looked like decent developments
VDB está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2012, 10:21 PM   #120
Cherguevara

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbnist
There looks be be two main reasons for Coupland Street:

1. Over provision of purpose built student accommodation

and

2. The impact of an additional 470 students on residential amenity (more people walking along streets according to the report!)

This is specious nonsense dressed up as policy to pacify the the usual NIMBY contingent and Hulme's ward councillors, all of whom have objected. And possibly MMU as well who are developing their own student accommodation at Birley Fields.

Two points to make in direct response:

1. Purpose-built student accommodation is supposed to be being encouraged to deal with the proliferation of HMOs in South Manchester. Therefore just let the market decide how much accommodation the city can absorb.

2. Increased footfall is almost always considered to be a positive by-product of new development in urban areas.

The reasons for refusal therefore seem contrary to other equally valid policies. So given the high quality of the Coupland Street app in particular; and the regeneration benefits both would bring to Hulme, there would seem little basis to refuse these applications. A real shame.
Having read the report the key problem with Coupland Street seems to be that neither university will commit to placing students there. Without that it's not viable, and though it may be desirable to move 2nd and 3rd year students out of the south Manc HMOs there is no way of doing so, while they remain reluctant to do so themselves.

To this end the scheme isn't viable.

It could be in the longer term that the private sector will come to provide housing to replace HMO student housing, but I doubt it will be schemes like traditional halls.
Cherguevara está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote