daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 20th, 2007, 04:46 PM   #1
floridian-will

Likes (Received): 344

Sears Tower, The true tallest?

Ok I may be a little behind the times but I have been looking at some diagrams of the worlds tallest buildings and noticed that the Sears Tower would be the true current tallest if the US counted masts. Is this true or are the diagrams inacurate. If im right than then it seems that the Sears Tower is still kind, until Burge Dubai comes.
floridian-will no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 20th, 2007, 04:50 PM   #2
SLKRR
recifense honorário

Likes (Received): 1

If you want to count masts, the champion is that one out in North Dakota that puts Sears Tower to shame. (That's one reason I think they shouldn't count.) It doesn't matter, though, because Burj Dubai is still going to whup them all.
SLKRR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2007, 04:52 PM   #3
harvesterofsorrows
BANNED

Likes (Received): 113

Sears tower's antennas don't count.

Although it does have the highest Occupied floor.

It is taller then the current tallest if you include the antennas though...

And Is this in the right place?
harvesterofsorrows no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2007, 05:06 PM   #4
Brendan

Likes (Received): 23

Who cares.

Sears Tower is no longer the tallest. If you count the antennas then you have to count those tall TV Towers in the USA. So no, it's never going to be the tallest ever again.
Brendan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2007, 05:06 PM   #5
Vekkis

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvesterofsorrows View Post
Sears tower's antennas don't count.

Although it does have the highest Occupied floor.

It is taller then the current tallest if you include the antennas though...

And Is this in the right place?
Taipei 101 has the highest occupied floor and yes this is in the wrong section.
Old April 20th, 2007, 05:09 PM   #6
harvesterofsorrows
BANNED

It does??
Old April 20th, 2007, 05:10 PM   #7
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridian-will View Post
Ok I may be a little behind the times but I have been looking at some diagrams of the worlds tallest buildings and noticed that the Sears Tower would be the true current tallest if the US counted masts. Is this true or are the diagrams inacurate. If im right than then it seems that the Sears Tower is still kind, until Burge Dubai comes.
First off, this thread was posted in the wrong place. I'm moving it to the Skyscrapers, Structures, and Architecture section.

As to your question, it isn't that the US doesn't count antennas and other countries do. The decision as to which building is the world's tallest is made by the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat (CTBUH), located in Chicago. For whatever reason, it has decided that spires (Petronas Towers, Freedom Tower, etc.) are to be counted in calculating a building's height because they are architectural and structural elements deemed part of the building. Antennas, on the other hand, are considered appurtenant elements and therefore are not included in height calculation. This is why Petronas passed Sears as world's tallest years ago. Although it had a shorter roof height than Sears, with its spires it was taller than Sears without its antennas.

Such was the inspiration for this smilie:

Last edited by i_am_hydrogen; April 20th, 2007 at 05:16 PM.
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2007, 08:18 PM   #8
floridian-will

The Sears Tower has a taller structural peek, while the petronas tower is a spire and they are allowed to count those sticks on top of spires, I still think the Sears Tower is taller, no matter what the records say. Are those masts on top of the Petronas Towers? If so than thats really design biased. Is Teipei 101 taller without its mast? If not than I think I would call the Sears Tower taller than both, I know many of you dont care because the Burge Dubai building will shrink them all but I do. And what bulding is in North Dakota that shames the Sears Tower?
Old April 20th, 2007, 08:40 PM   #9
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridian-will View Post
The Sears Tower has a taller structural peek, while the petronas tower is a spire and they are allowed to count those sticks on top of spires, I still think the Sears Tower is taller, no matter what the records say. Are those masts on top of the Petronas Towers? If so than thats really design biased. Is Teipei 101 taller without its mast? If not than I think I would call the Sears Tower taller than both, I know many of you dont care because the Burge Dubai building will shrink them all but I do. And what bulding is in North Dakota that shames the Sears Tower?
The height of buildings are divided into four separate categories, by which they're compared. Of course, you can ignore what the officials say about things and say that Sears is still the tallest. That simply is something that wont be recognized by the official authorities.

Personally, I don't judge skyscrapers by how tall they are. I love the Sears tower and don't really give a damn if it was the 20th tallest in the world. But the fact remains that through the current categories used to judge skyscrapers, Sears only beats T101 in one category, which is the highest point at the top of the antenna.

The other three categories are : highest architectural top, highest occupied floor, and highest to roof, which are all held by T101 at the moment.

When they were talking about masts, the North Dakota TV mast thing (a huge antenna) is the tallest structure in the world, though it is uninhabitable, and is guyed by cables to support it.

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2007, 08:55 PM   #10
Chitowner245

Likes (Received): 0

At least the antennas on top of Sears are actually used for something, while spires are just worthless decorations used for the sake of height records and aesthetics.
Chitowner245 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2007, 09:09 PM   #11
SLKRR
recifense honorário

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
Such was the inspiration for this smilie:
By far the best smilie on SSC. I love it.
SLKRR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2007, 09:10 PM   #12
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

The red lines represent the height to antenna
The blue lines represent height to roof
The yellow lines represent height to highest occupied floor (I believe the floors above are mechanical/maintenance floors)

I believe that for the T101, the top to antenna is the red line, as well as the top to structural top, while for Sears, the top to antenna is the red line, but the structural top is the blue line (no spires, so to roof)

I actually dont know the exact definition of roof vs. architectural top. I think architectural top includes spires, while roof is the top of the concrete.

You see from this, how Petronas claimed the title of architectural/structural top from Sears.

source

Heights from wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sears_tower
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taipei_101

Diagram courtesy of SSP:

http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?1241105

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2007, 11:15 PM   #13
floridian-will

WOW thanks for all the info guys, truly very helpful. And that explains alot about that smiley, it really is the best smilely on SSC or anywhere ive seen for that matter.
Old April 20th, 2007, 11:18 PM   #14
floridian-will

In the movie "Entrapment" they showed the Petronas Tower with wraparound balconies, is that accurate?
Old April 21st, 2007, 02:23 AM   #15
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

I would pretty much used the highest occupied floor b/c that height is actually used.
Old April 28th, 2007, 02:41 AM   #16
FastFerrari
I double dog dare you!!!

Likes (Received): 32

we all know some like or dislike this thread....Sears yes it still the tallest we have eyes but only in one of the 4 categories....however when Dubai completes its 800m or however tall it is this will be needless....well only on the world look...however still tallest in US..MAYBE?
FastFerrari no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2007, 06:19 PM   #17
harvesterofsorrows
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFerrari View Post
we all know some like or dislike this thread....Sears yes it still the tallest we have eyes but only in one of the 4 categories....however when Dubai completes its 800m or however tall it is this will be needless....well only on the world look...however still tallest in US..MAYBE?
Yeah, the Americas, until Chicago spire gets built!
Old April 29th, 2007, 06:20 AM   #18
Ginza

Likes (Received): 7

Sears Towers,The true second tallest building
Ginza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2007, 09:52 AM   #19
Gaeus
500-Internal Server Error

Likes (Received): 87

It doesn't matter. In 2 - 4 months, Burj Dubai will surpass all and all those arguments of which is the tallest will finally end.
Gaeus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2007, 04:05 PM   #20
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

, correct
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote