daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 1st, 2007, 01:12 AM   #21
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 283

the sears in my eyes will always be taller than the Taipei 101. you couls have a box with a mile high spire...

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 3rd, 2007, 05:56 PM   #22
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

Likes (Received): 5

Height isn't all that important, in my opinion. I'd rather look at the whole skyline and how it utilizes its height.

The Sears Tower could be the 23rd tallest and I wouldn't care at all. But I'd rather have a not so tall Sears Tower--which is the focal point of one of the world's greatest skylines--over some soulless, 3,000-foot crapfest located in the middle of nowhere.
NaptownBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2007, 06:11 PM   #23
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6530

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshbakerloo View Post
the sears in my eyes will always be taller than the Taipei 101. you couls have a box with a mile high spire...
Taipe 101 is taller in all categories so why do you think sears tower is still taller? because of the antenna's?
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2007, 12:13 AM   #24
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
Taipe 101 is taller in all categories so why do you think sears tower is still taller? because of the antenna's?
the Taipei 101 may have a slightly higher roof but it is so narrow at the top that it can hardly count, at the top of the sears its still quite wide and also the sears tower has more floors anyway...

I <3 London
Old May 5th, 2007, 06:08 PM   #25
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

the height counts not the number of floors
Old May 6th, 2007, 12:10 AM   #26
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Quote:
the height counts not the number of floors

but with more floors then you could go higher up the building...any way the Taipei 101 at the top is more like a step ladder with a very small room...

I <3 London
Old May 7th, 2007, 02:21 AM   #27
ToRoNto, g-town

Likes (Received): 10

^ that makes zero sense... taipe 101 is taller than sears get over it and stop saying dumb things
Old May 7th, 2007, 04:41 AM   #28
jmancuso
make it so...

Likes (Received): 56

who cares at this point? the taipei 101 and the unfinished burj dubai and shanghai WFC are taller now.
jmancuso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 05:17 AM   #29
harvesterofsorrows
BANNED

Likes (Received): 113

CHICAGOANS CARE!!!!!
harvesterofsorrows no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 01:41 PM   #30
JAKUB POLEWSKI
BANNED

Likes (Received): 190

What's the problem ?! Let build some skyscraper about 900 m tall in Chicago, but in '60/'70 architecture style

Phiii...
JAKUB POLEWSKI no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 09:11 PM   #31
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

hehe, great idea
Old May 9th, 2007, 02:39 AM   #32
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

aaarrrgggg i can't explain myself properly!!!!!!aaarrggg I'm BURNING BURNING BURINGING FIRE AARRGGG

I <3 London
Old May 9th, 2007, 06:49 AM   #33
Chi649

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
The only reason why the antennas are not included is because of CTBUH, which created the 4 categories and they decided antennas do not count in the official height. Sears still holds the world record for tallest tip height or pinnacle height, which is one of the 4 categories CTBUH created. CTBUH is based in Chicago but when the decision was made, CTBUH was still based at Lehigh University in Pennsylvaina.

Should the antennas count? Well, do they strongly contribute to a person's perception on how tall the Sears Tower is? Obviously, YES. In fact at night, they are the most visible part of the building because they are illuminated, and you can see them for miles and miles away. The antennas are solid thick white masts which are thicker than most spires. Furthermore, the antennas are lit up in different colors, for example, green and red for Christmas. So they really are an architectural element of the building, the building just wouldn't look right without them. So CTBUH's ruling about antennas, as it pertains to the Sears Tower, is nonsensical.

Last edited by Chi649; May 9th, 2007 at 07:02 AM.
Chi649 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2007, 06:57 AM   #34
bnk

Likes (Received): 727

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLksuGUY View Post
TALLER? REALLY

Dont believe what they tell you...
bnk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2007, 09:01 AM   #35
Latoso
C.B.P.

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi649 View Post
Should the antennas count? Well, do they strongly contribute to a person's perception on how tall the Sears Tower is? Obviously, YES. In fact at night, they are the most visible part of the building because they are illuminated, and you can see them for miles and miles away. The antennas are solid thick white masts which are thicker than most spires. Furthermore, the antennas are lit up in different colors, for example, green and red for Christmas. So they really are an architectural element of the building, the building just wouldn't look right without them. So CTBUH's ruling about antennas, as it pertains to the Sears Tower, is nonsensical.
Exactly! Even if I didn't believe that their reasoning was bs, which I do, the CTBUH didn't even follow their own guidelines. They say the antennas don't count because they are not architectural elements and that they were added after the fact. Fine. If that's the case, then the official height of Sears should be counted to the top of the antenna stubs which were built as part of the original structure and are tied in to the steel frame of the building. They were designed in the event the Sears Tower should ever get antennas. If you count them, the official height would be above 1500 feet, beating Petronas and possibly Taipei 101. Here are some pre-antenna pics to prove my point.

Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood and probably will themselves not be realized. Make big plans; aim high in hope and work, remembering that a noble, logical diagram once recorded will not die. - Daniel Burnham
Latoso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2007, 09:07 AM   #36
Brendan

Likes (Received): 23

I think that the only people that believe the antennas should count are from Chicago itself..

Sorry guys, but if you count the antennas, then you'd have to say that the KVLY/KTHI TV Mast in Blanchard, ND is the tallest, which it isn't so.. ya.
Brendan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2007, 09:31 AM   #37
Latoso
C.B.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
I think that the only people that believe the antennas should count are from Chicago itself..

Sorry guys, but if you count the antennas, then you'd have to say that the KVLY/KTHI TV Mast in Blanchard, ND is the tallest, which it isn't so.. ya.
So if you unplug the tv mast in North Dakota and leave it standing as a spire and an architectural statement, by your reasoning it should be the world's tallest building.

Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood and probably will themselves not be realized. Make big plans; aim high in hope and work, remembering that a noble, logical diagram once recorded will not die. - Daniel Burnham
Old May 9th, 2007, 09:36 AM   #38
Brendan

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latoso View Post
So if you unplug the tv mast in North Dakota and leave it standing as a spire and an architectural statement, by your reasoning it should be the world's tallest building.
Um no, that's not what I said at all. The antennas on the sears tower are not counted. If they were counted, CTBUH would have to count the tv mast, so in both ways, the Sears Tower is not the tallest in the world, and never will be.
Brendan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2007, 09:37 AM   #39
Smallville

Likes (Received): 6

The Sears tower is still the tallest building in the world. For a while anyway. I am not from chicago nor do I live there now.
Smallville no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2007, 09:39 AM   #40
Latoso
C.B.P.

So why even bother counting anything that's not habitable? True, it won't change things for Sears, but if antennas don't count, nether should spires.