daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 12th, 2008, 01:45 AM   #41
Mr Grosso

Likes (Received): 17

Nice, Viva Russia Go Go Russia
Mr Grosso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 12th, 2008, 10:53 PM   #42
urbanfan89

Likes (Received): 67

Meanwhile none of Canada's airports have rail access...yet...
urbanfan89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 11:03 PM   #43
dösanhoro

Likes (Received): 53

Looks nice like sbahn. 8.50us dollars is alot for a urban train ticket. Especially considering the current value of the dollar.
dösanhoro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 11:25 PM   #44
ruslan33

Likes (Received): 333

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanfan89 View Post
Meanwhile none of Canada's airports have rail access...yet...
are you serious ? What about subway ?
ruslan33 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2008, 02:25 AM   #45
Nozumi 300

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruslan33 View Post
are you serious ? What about subway ?
nope, no rail at all, well for toronto that is. i believe richmond in british columbia will be having their skytrain serving that airport
Nozumi 300 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2008, 10:40 AM   #46
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

I'm amazed that no Canadian cities have rail connections to their airports. Only 2 Australian cities do (so far) - but Melbourne and Perth are both drawing up plans to connect theirs to the city rail grids. Perth's will probably happen sooner than Melbourne's, because of private ownership of the carparks at MEL.

I guess it's only a matter or time before Canada starts throwing serious investment money into their metros and suburban rail systems.

Meanwhile, Moscow kinda scares me. Everyone seems to violent there, and so hypnotised by the media....
city_thing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2008, 10:55 AM   #47
JoKo65

Likes (Received): 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by dösanhoro View Post
Looks nice like sbahn. 8.50us dollars is alot for a urban train ticket. Especially considering the current value of the dollar.
In comparison to other big european cities it's ok.
I don't think in Madrid, Paris or London it is cheaper.
Old June 13th, 2008, 12:26 PM   #48
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18153

USD 8.5 seems reasonable for an airport train fare by international measures.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2008, 03:08 PM   #49
Jordbcn
Ya de vuelta User

Likes (Received): 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoKo65 View Post
In comparison to other big european cities it's ok.
I don't think in Madrid, Paris or London it is cheaper.
In Madrid, the subway ticket to the airport costs 2 Euros for a ride of 15 min. from downtown.

Railway line is under construction but in order to provide a direct link to Chamartin and Atocha main stations, where HS trains are to depart to the north and east from the former and south and SW from the later. Surely, it,s price will not exceed from 2 E. too. Normal ticket in subway is only 1 Euro, but it,s increased another 1 in the ride to the airport as a "tourist tax"...even if you are not a tourist.
Jordbcn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2008, 03:28 PM   #50
Gamma-Hamster
BANNED

Likes (Received): 97

Picture of rail terminal from above

Express train to Domodedovo airport

Express train to Vnukovo airport

geometarkv liked this post
Gamma-Hamster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2008, 06:12 PM   #51
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

Which terminals do these trains go from?
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2008, 06:12 PM   #52
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

Which terminals do these trains go from?
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2008, 09:15 PM   #53
dösanhoro

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
USD 8.5 seems reasonable for an airport train fare by international measures.
Reasonable yes. I see my thinking is lagging behind with me still thinking 1 euro 1 dollar. Anoter question is the fare a geeneral Moscow public transport ticket or a special airport train ticket. If it's normal public transport price it's ery expensive. I could guess from the pictures it's a special train to the airport not general system like sbhan. Then I can imagine locals using alternatives if it costs that much extra not inclusive public transport fee. So the difference between a a public transport line to the airport vs "airbort train" is important in judging the price. As comparing apples to oranges.

I have had few bad experiences with general public transport to the airport.

If the airport is not the final stop so places are already taken by normal commuters. People have problems with the heavy luggage as there is no special racks for them. Non locals buy tickets from the driver with too big notes. That scenario is a hindrance for the commuters and the airport passangers. Having a airport only line is very beneficial imho.
dösanhoro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2008, 09:32 PM   #54
JoKo65

Quote:
Originally Posted by dösanhoro View Post
Reasonable yes. I see my thinking is lagging behind with me still thinking 1 euro 1 dollar. Anoter question is the fare a geeneral Moscow public transport ticket or a special airport train ticket. If it's normal public transport price it's ery expensive. I could guess from the pictures it's a special train to the airport not general system like sbhan. Then I can imagine locals using alternatives if it costs that much extra not inclusive public transport fee. So the difference between a a public transport line to the airport vs "airbort train" is important in judging the price. As comparing apples to oranges.

I have had few bad experiences with general public transport to the airport.

If the airport is not the final stop so places are already taken by normal commuters. People have problems with the heavy luggage as there is no special racks for them. Non locals buy tickets from the driver with too big notes. That scenario is a hindrance for the commuters and the airport passangers. Having a airport only line is very beneficial imho.
The line is airport only and the tickets (200 RUB) are much more expensive than normal tickets in Moscow (around 20 RUB, I think).
Old June 14th, 2008, 04:18 AM   #55
urbanfan89

Likes (Received): 67

A rapid transit (actually a mini-metro) line is being built from Vancouver's airport to the city for the 2010 Winter Olympics. It will be called the "Canada Line" (nowhere else in the world would this happen).

In Toronto we have an express bus to the subway. A metro line to the airport started construction in 1994, but a right-wing government cancelled it a year later. A non-stop express rail line was supposed to open this year, but residents of a neighbourhood along the way didn't like the fact that some level crossings would be closed to improve the tracks even when they get no benefit (since only rush hour trains exist). For now it has an interterminal automatic shuttle. But within the next decade we should see real S-bahn service, and the interterminal shuttle would be extended to meet it.

Ottawa was about to start a light rail line to the airport, but political infighting killed it. Now they're rewriting a plan that should overcome politics.

Montreal already has two train stations by the airport, but trains run too infrequently to qualify.

In Calgary and Edmonton there are long term plans to extend their LRT systems to the airports.

An advanced transportation system we have.
urbanfan89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2008, 05:39 AM   #56
Gamma-Hamster
BANNED

Likes (Received): 97

Either you pay 40-50$ for taxi, or 8.50$ for train, so price is very reasonable.
Gamma-Hamster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2008, 04:21 PM   #57
JoKo65

What is the top speed of these new trains?
Old June 15th, 2008, 02:56 PM   #58
Augusto

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
The line is airport only and the tickets (200 RUB) are much more expensive than normal tickets in Moscow (around 20 RUB, I think).
So it's not that expensive compared to Kuala Lumpur for example. One ticket to the airport is 35RM (10$) while a ticket inside KL is around 2RM (0.6$).
Augusto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2008, 01:54 AM   #59
Gag Halfrunt

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
What is the top speed of these new trains?
According to the stock list on Raifaneurope.net, all the classes shown on this page (EM2, EM2I and ED4MKM) have a top speed of 130 km/h.
Gag Halfrunt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2008, 11:26 PM   #60
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1819

For a city like Moscow and for that price 130km/h is really very slow. It should be at least 200km/h, like the Arlanda Express in Stockholm.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote