daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 30th, 2010, 02:46 PM   #1701
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 6984

Quote:
Originally Posted by manrush View Post
Will Metrovagomash ever produce elektrichka units?
No, in past 50 years at least.

Sponsored Links
Old September 30th, 2010, 11:42 PM   #1702
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Likes (Received): 4956

Was RA-2 developed in Russia?
Old October 5th, 2010, 11:35 PM   #1703
void0
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2870

Siemens Desiro for Russia (In Russia will be called "Lastochka", about half of the ordered trains will be assembled in Russia)

http://metroblog.ru/post/3411/
void0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2010, 12:44 AM   #1704
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 766

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadeye Reloaded View Post
Good news.

Siemens Desiro

link
Siemens uses the "Desiro" name for a lot of different DMU/EMU types (at least 4), as the photos above shows.

See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siemens_Desiro

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2010, 08:48 AM   #1705
Artem88

Likes (Received): 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by siamu maharaj View Post
Was RA-2 developed in Russia?
Yes
Artem88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2010, 01:15 PM   #1706
loco designer
loco designer

Likes (Received): 0

this is such a beautiful design that l am going to build it!

I have been so mesmorised with this design l am now building it in 7 1/4 gauge.
Managed to buy a 21 HP V Twin honda engine, hydrostatic drive unit and will make the body work from GRP.

Please keep sending in photo's as they help me enormously wit the detail
loco designer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2010, 01:27 PM   #1707
loco designer
loco designer

Likes (Received): 0

Help Please!

Can anyone get the side view, front view and plan of the Velaro D with dimensions ?
I need to reproduce them onto CAD package in 'igs format'. From there, l will have a MDF block CNC routed to make two halves of a buck. This would then allow me to make a grp mould and then mouldings. The loco would be for a 7 1/4" gauge track.
No questions asked and would not be given to anyone alse. If you can help could you mail me at [email protected].

I would really appreciate any help.

Loco Designer
loco designer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2010, 06:41 PM   #1708
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 6984

http://transday.ru/news/transport/16...anie-ed10.html

Transmashhoding and Alstom announced a new 160kmph suburban train ED10 as an opposition to Siemens Desiro. First trainset should be ready by 2012.

D stated for Demikhovsky Car Factory. It's located in Moscow province.

Last edited by coth; October 30th, 2010 at 06:58 PM.
coth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2010, 10:30 AM   #1709
I`M

Likes (Received): 513

Combined (rail and motor) road from Adler to the mountain resort Alpika-Service

I`M está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2010, 06:10 AM   #1710
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18132

Finland's Halonen and Russia's Putin try out new Helsinki-St Petersburg fast train
13 December 2010

ST. PETERSBURG, Russia (AP) - The president of Finland and the prime minister of Russia zipped along Sunday on a new high-speed train linking Helsinki and St. Petersburg, becoming among the first passengers to use the new service.

The French-built train, with a top speed of 135 miles per hour (220 kilometers per hour), cuts the travel time between the two cities to three and a half hours. The 250-mile (415-kilometer) trip previously took more than six hours, including a stop at the border.

It is the first high-speed rail link between Europe and Russia, Finnish Rail VR spokesman Otto Lehtipuu said on the train as it sped toward Russia's second city.

He was among 200 people who boarded the train in Helsinki with Finnish President Tarja Halonen. The Russians, including Prime Minister Vladimir Putin, hopped on in the Russian border town of Vyborg for the final leg of Sunday's inaugural trip.

"It was super. It was very fast. We didn't even have enough time to talk," Putin told reporters when they arrived in St. Petersburg.

Putin, who was then president, and Halonen set the joint project in motion in 2001, and major rail upgrades have been carried out during the past five years.

Russian Railways chief Vladimir Yakunin said he hoped foreigners taking the train to St. Petersburg would soon be able to visit for up to 72 hours without having to obtain a Russian visa, a privilege now extended to passengers on cruise ships.

Yakunin, who is close to Putin, said the prime minister has agreed to consider the proposal. Lehtipuu called the initiative remarkable.

The two rail companies hope to carry 250,000 passengers on the route in 2011, 25 percent more than this year, Lehtipuu said.

The trains, built by French engineering company Alstom SA, will initially run twice daily from Helsinki and St. Petersburg, to be increased to four departures from each city by May.

----------

Associated Press writer Jari Tanner in Helsinki contributed to this report.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2010, 09:57 AM   #1711
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18132

Russia mulls visa-free travel for EU train passengers

ST PETERSBURG, Russia, Dec 12 (Reuters) - Russia could allow visa-free travel for passengers of a high-speed train linking Finland and Russia, a senior official said, as Moscow presses the European Union to ease travel restrictions.

Russian Railways launched the service between Helsinki and St Petersburg on Sunday, with Prime Minister Vladimir Putin and Finnish President Tarja Halonen attending the ceremony.

"We have submitted our proposal (to lift visa requirements for EU citizens travelling by the high-speed train) and Prime Minister Vladimir Putin said the cabinet will review it," said Vladimir Yakunin, chief executive of Russian Railways.

"Will the European Union do the same thing? I am little concerned about that," Yakunin added. Under the proposal EU citizens would be able to stay in Russia for 72 hours without a visa.

Four high-speed trains supplied by France's Alstom are expected to carry 250,000 passengers between St Petersburg and Helsinki in 2011 in Russian Railways' first joint international project in partnership with Finnish VR-Group.

EU citizens travelling to Russia complain of excessive bureaucracy when applying for visa while Russians say they face long waiting times and embarrassing questions in the European embassies.

Russia has stepped up pressure on the EU to ease visa requirements for Russian citizens travelling to the EU.

"The visa regime is dictated entirely by political reasons. It is an atavism from the past and should be abolished," Putin said on Friday at a joint news conference with Finland's Prime Minister Mari Kiviniemi.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2010, 10:10 AM   #1712
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by coth View Post
http://transday.ru/news/transport/16...anie-ed10.html

Transmashhoding and Alstom announced a new 160kmph suburban train ED10 as an opposition to Siemens Desiro. First trainset should be ready by 2012.

D stated for Demikhovsky Car Factory. It's located in Moscow province.
Good, anything to prevent further spread of the Desiro virus...
More detail: will be a modular system (aren't they all nowadays?), up to 12 cars in both high and low floor versions.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2011, 05:08 PM   #1713
Gadiri

Likes (Received): 6979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post

What's wrong ?

FBI Says 94% of Terrorist Attacks in the US Since 1980 Are by Non-Muslims

Gadiri no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2011, 07:34 PM   #1714
Coccodrillo

half of the seats have no window, I feel claustrophopic, when my reserved seat is like these (I do whatever possible to avoid them) I search for another seat or I travel standing

It's incredibly stupid to build a train so badly.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Old January 2nd, 2011, 10:19 PM   #1715
Gadiri

Likes (Received): 6979

Quote:
half of the seats have no window, I feel claustrophopic, when my reserved seat is like these (I do whatever possible to avoid them) I search for another seat or I travel standing

It's incredibly stupid to build a train so badly.
Ok. Are all Velaro like this one ?

This configuration is better :

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoKo65 View Post

train-photo.ru

FBI Says 94% of Terrorist Attacks in the US Since 1980 Are by Non-Muslims

Gadiri no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2011, 11:56 PM   #1716
Coccodrillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadiri View Post
Ok. Are all Velaro like this one ?
Most modern trains have seats without windows: Talgo, Velaro, TGV, some NewPendolino (only ETR600 as far I know), Virgin Pendolino, ...

The first series of Pendolino (ETR 450-460-470-480) and some NewPendolino (ETR 610) have all seats placed near windows, like all Stadler vehicles and, as far I know, all CAF products.

Old January 3rd, 2011, 09:56 AM   #1717
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
The first series of Pendolino (ETR 450-460-470-480) and some NewPendolino (ETR 610) have all seats placed near windows, like all Stadler vehicles and, as far I know, all CAF products.
SBB would never buy a train where some of the seats don't have a view, which is why ETR 610 has the seats nicely lined up with the windows...
Normally if you limit the number of rows to twice the number of windows you can line them up without a problem. (SBB will always have two rows facing each other around a window). It's mostly when you put in more rows that some seats lose their view.

It also depends a bit on how you construct your train. Stadler uses a system of an aluminium body made of profiles with glued on windows. The windows are part of the structure, and when Stadler engineers had to reduce the window size for a batch of trainsets for Algeria they had a problem as with smaller windows the structure actually got weaker. So they can easily have huge windows, with good visibility for everyone.
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2011, 10:33 AM   #1718
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Some rail companies are shifting more towards room-aligned seats (airplane-like).

It's all about privacy and to what situation you optimize seating. If your trains are running with less than 30% of seats taken most of the time, facing seats will guarantee more space for most people if the side and front seats are not taken.

However, when trains are full, facing seats are very uncomfortable. You don't have a tray for yourself, if any. You risk easily touching, without any intentions, the feet of the person in front of you, or stomping over her/his feet when leaving. It's hard to avoid eye contact and it creates a very awkward situation sometimes.

Room-aligned seats don't have the aforementioned problems, but OTOH they are far more difficult to fit with windows (facing seats can be easily fit near the columns between windows) and, when occupied by two unrelated passengers, make it more difficult to enter or exit the window seat.

Yet, room-aligned seats are going to be the norm in long-distance trains for one reason: they make individual monitors possible (like in airplanes) and also allow individual trays to fit notebooks/netbooks/tablets etc. As the trend toward "airplanizing" the train passenger experience with individual entertainment and mini-work stations caught up, I can't see a future of facing seats on high-speed/long-distance trains.

In any case, rail companies should make seat planes available online so people can know where their reserved seat is. They can even charge premium prices for extra legroom or lone-seats in the end of rail cars.
Old January 3rd, 2011, 12:17 PM   #1719
Coccodrillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
It's mostly when you put in more rows that some seats lose their view.
Not always: both the ETR 600 and the ETR 610 have the same number of seats (around 430), but in the 610 all seats face windows, in the 600 a lot of seats don't. This is simply stupid, and means that blind seats haven't increased capacity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Yet, room-aligned seats are going to be the norm in long-distance trains for one reason: they make individual monitors possible (like in airplanes) and also allow individual trays to fit notebooks/netbooks/tablets etc.
Often the best film on a train is just outside it.

Old January 3rd, 2011, 01:24 PM   #1720
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Quote:
Often the best film on a train is just outside it.
For most passengers (on an airplane or in a train) arrive ASAP is all that matters and they don't give a damn by what is going outside.

Moreover, high-speed trains usually do not yield good views anyway. Railways are erecting noise barriers and they have many semi-entrenched sessions, let alone urban dumpsites near major stations. Nothing much interesting to see for a regular passenger (you know, the one who is not on SSC).

When I am flying, I like to look downwards and try to identify the places when there is no cloud. Therefore, a seat facing the wing is very bad for me. But most people use transportation means as transportation only.

So I don't see a problem, for the average person, if a train has 40% of its window seats facing something that is not an window.