daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 21st, 2011, 07:13 PM   #1781
AlekseyVT
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7092

Well, I see inscription "April 1" at this photo. It's a pity, that Italians never heard about Fools' Day
AlekseyVT no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 21st, 2011, 07:17 PM   #1782
vladygark
Србоватник

Likes (Received): 7603

Fake, of course, obviously edited picture of Russian Railways Sapsan train, which is Siemens Velaro.
vladygark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2011, 07:37 PM   #1783
XIX
Frequent Flyer

Likes (Received): 593

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlekseyVT View Post
Well, I see inscription "April 1" at this photo. It's a pity, that Italians never heard about Fools' Day
Thanks

I didn't see that inscription in Cyrillic was "1 April"
XIX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 11:31 PM   #1784
vladygark
Србоватник

Likes (Received): 7603

Desiro RUS (Russian Railways designation ES1) has been delivered and is currently undergoing some tests in Moscow region.

Source: http://train-photo.ru/
vladygark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2012, 05:36 AM   #1785
everywhere
The Explorer

Likes (Received): 805

Russia-China cooperation on railways has huge potential: Russian official
(Shanghai Daily/Xinhua, June 2)

Quote:
SOCHI, Russia, June 2 (Xinhua) -- Russia-China cooperation on development of high-speed rail and a trans-Eurasian rail corridor has "huge potential, the president of Russian Railways (RZD) said here Friday.

Under a government strategic plan, Russia will build by 2030 some 20,000 km of new railways, including 5,000 high-speed lines, Vladimir Yakunin told Xinhua on the sidelines of an international railway forum.

"Russia is expected to develop a railway network, including high-speed rail lines, from Kazan and Yekaterinburg (in central Russia) to Khabarovsk and Vladivostok (in the Far East region)," Yakunin said.

"In this field, we are willing to cooperate with China's railways and financial institutions," he added.

"China has rich experience in high-speed rail construction, which creates rooms for further cooperation between the two countries in this field," he added.

Meanwhile, Yakunin admitted that there are some delays in implementing a memorandum of understanding signed by Russia and China in 2009 on joint development of high-speed railway system in Russia.

There is no change in Russia's stance on the construction of high-speed rail, but the state-owned RZD is still seeking suitable finance and profit modes, he explained.

Yakunin, who will soon visit China with a Russian delegation led by President Vladimir Putin next week, said that he would meet with China's railway authorities on further bilateral cooperation.

On the development of a rail corridor from the southwest Chinese city of Chongqing to Germany's Duisburg, Yakunin said that China and Russia have signed cooperation documents and formed joint ventures.

Last July, the new route was officially launched in Chongqing. It offers a major shortcut to traditional sea trade routes and shorten travel time to Europe from about 36 days by container ship to just 13 days by freight train.

"This is the first step of the corridor construction," Yakunin said.

The train services are expected to be increased to once per day in the future as Chongqing's exports to Europe increase. Currently the train leaves Chongqing for Duisburg once a month.

Russia is now pondering the future transit fee policy following the development of the route and will later coordinate with the Chinese side, he said.

Besides, Yakunin said the new trans-Eurasian rail corridor is taking shape, thanks to the joint efforts of Russia, China and Kazakhstan.

Amid global economic uncertainties, such a corridor will boost the global and regional economy and enhance the competitiveness of countries of the railway routes, he said.

http://www.shanghaidaily.com/article...a.asp?id=74624
everywhere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2012, 04:44 PM   #1786
Alexriga
BANNED

Likes (Received): 183

I liek those stealth design trains from page 87.
Alexriga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2012, 11:07 AM   #1787
Sputnik2012

Likes (Received): 0

I am a frequent passenger of Moscow Aeroexpress. Checking the website I found they buy new trains: http://www.aeroexpress.ru/files/doc/...4_otbor_en.pdf
do we now also get new Desiros? does anybody has an idea what we will get and when?
Sputnik2012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2012, 01:30 PM   #1788
AlekseyVT
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7092

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sputnik2012 View Post
I am a frequent passenger of Moscow Aeroexpress. Checking the website I found they buy new trains: http://www.aeroexpress.ru/files/doc/...4_otbor_en.pdf
do we now also get new Desiros? does anybody has an idea what we will get and when?
These Desiro trains will be operate by Moscow Aeroexpress only after using for the Kazan Summer Universiade 2013 and Sochi Winter Olympics 2014.

Last edited by AlekseyVT; June 9th, 2012 at 09:06 PM.
AlekseyVT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2012, 08:42 AM   #1789
Sputnik2012

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlekseyVT View Post
These Desiro trains will be operate by Moscow Aeroexpress only after using for the Kazan Summer Universiade 2013 and Sochi Winter Olympics 2014.
Thanks, but then why they want to buy new trains now, if they can take the one from Kazan later.
Sputnik2012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2012, 09:27 PM   #1790
lazany

Likes (Received): 1

lazany no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2012, 01:53 AM   #1791
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6909

I have a question for my dear Russian railfans. I am planning a trip Moscow-Beijing via the trans-Siberian railway next year and was wondering one simple thing... is there wi-fi internet service in the train? That may sound like a somewhat trivial thing but being on a train for 6 nights is a rather challenging experience and this is where internet connectivity plays a very important role in helping not to go insane of boredom and to stay updated with what's going on.

If no, then is there mobile GSM/UMTS connectivity along the route? In that case a prepaid SIM card with internet option could come to help.

I'd be thankful for the information.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2012, 05:06 AM   #1792
yaohua2000

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
I have a question for my dear Russian railfans. I am planning a trip Moscow-Beijing via the trans-Siberian railway next year and was wondering one simple thing... is there wi-fi internet service in the train? That may sound like a somewhat trivial thing but being on a train for 6 nights is a rather challenging experience and this is where internet connectivity plays a very important role in helping not to go insane of boredom and to stay updated with what's going on.

If no, then is there mobile GSM/UMTS connectivity along the route? In that case a prepaid SIM card with internet option could come to help.

I'd be thankful for the information.
The train cars are nearly 30 years old. Don't expect such a thing. 3G is available for most part of the route. Be prepare for international roaming in Mongolia and China if you only have Russian prepaid card. (I did this this January.)
yaohua2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2012, 11:50 AM   #1793
void0
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2870

I never understood the fun of 6 days railroad traveling...
void0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2012, 12:16 PM   #1794
KVentz

Likes (Received): 1659

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
is there wi-fi internet service in the train?
90 % — no.

Quote:
If no, then is there mobile GSM/UMTS connectivity along the route?
In the European part of Russia —*definitely no. GSM coverage exists only around the cities and towns and along automobile roads. I think the same is in Siberia.
KVentz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2012, 12:46 PM   #1795
yaohua2000

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVentz View Post
90 % — no.
I can confirm there was no WiFi onboard — 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVentz View Post
In the European part of Russia —*definitely no. GSM coverage exists only around the cities and towns and along automobile roads. I think the same is in Siberia.
The coverage is pretty nice actually. I did tweet and weibo my journey onboard. MTS is the best. But I suggest you have more than one SIM card from different carriers. Beeline doesn't work beyond Lake Baikal.
yaohua2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2012, 02:20 PM   #1796
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by void0
Who said It's fun? I guess I'll just have to find out what it is.
Anyway I love Russian trains. Brings back some childhood memories.
Old July 12th, 2012, 02:21 PM   #1797
Pansori
planquadrat

And thanks for the answers. Much appreciated.
Old July 12th, 2012, 02:42 PM   #1798
void0
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2870

From the article (18.04.2010)
Quote:
Так же ведутся работы по установке интернет сети
http://mow-china.com/archives/905
void0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2012, 06:41 PM   #1799
MarcVD

Likes (Received): 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by void0 View Post
I did it last summer. It was fun, actually. Like to be on a cruise.
But it's certainly not a good idea to do it in one go. We stopped
in Ekaterinebourg, Baikal lake, and Ulan-Bator. Took us 3 weeks
to arrive in Beijing... As far as I could see, the trains are packed
with tourists during summer.
MarcVD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2012, 07:00 PM   #1800
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21237

I think you also need to stop on many places to break the trip because, AFAIK, those trains don't have showers and thus a person travelling all the way would arrive smelling like a street beggar or so.