daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old April 23rd, 2007, 03:10 AM   #1
Wu-Gambino

Likes (Received): 109

Indianapolis Development News

thread continues here...

old thread:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=424438
Wu-Gambino no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old April 23rd, 2007, 03:16 AM   #2
IndiexInxIndy
Fuck The Bullshit!

Likes (Received): 0

Wow! I am quite flattered. As well as amazed of how receptive people here are to my ideas! Thank you... ;-)
Old April 23rd, 2007, 03:45 AM   #3
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

Likes (Received): 5

Damn. Should've kept it going. The all-time record for most posts in a thread on this site is over 3,400.

Last edited by NaptownBoy; April 23rd, 2007 at 05:14 AM.
NaptownBoy no está en línea  
Old April 23rd, 2007, 03:46 AM   #4
hoosier

Likes (Received): 53

Really. The last development thread was the size of THREE normal dvelopment threads.
hoosier no está en línea  
Old April 23rd, 2007, 03:56 AM   #5
IndiexInxIndy
Fuck The Bullshit!

Naw, i thought it was getting annoyingly long! o_O
Old April 23rd, 2007, 05:05 AM   #6
cjfjapan

Likes (Received): 131

Gag

back on topic, this is really hideous. like it belongs in Dothan, AL, or Jonesboro , AR. Is this really going to sit on one of the best corners in the city?

cjfjapan no está en línea  
Old April 23rd, 2007, 05:11 AM   #7
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 463

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjfjapan View Post
back on topic, this is really hideous. like it belongs in Dothan, AL, or Jonesboro , AR. Is this really going to sit on one of the best corners in the city?
I don't have a clue where you're coming from.
CorrND no está en línea  
Old April 23rd, 2007, 05:15 AM   #8
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrND View Post
I don't have a clue where you're coming from.
I don't either. Granted it isn't mind-blowing, but it does look nice.
NaptownBoy no está en línea  
Old April 23rd, 2007, 05:50 AM   #9
billionbucks
Colts Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaptownBoy View Post
I don't either. Granted it isn't mind-blowing, but it does look nice.
Agreed. Better than it was.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 06:10 AM   #10
thehoss257

Likes (Received): 37

I have to agree with the detractors on this one, The building does look like a big old fashoned steam boat. They should have at least added a few floors. I'm guessing the footers could have taken it.
thehoss257 no está en línea  
Old April 23rd, 2007, 06:10 AM   #11
thehoss257

Washington St. is our main street, the buildings on it should reflect that reality.
thehoss257 no está en línea  
Old April 23rd, 2007, 06:12 AM   #12
KM1410

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by moochie View Post
The hell it is... At least the Zipper building was unique, even if it wasn't particularly attractive, or accessible, or had any ground level retail etc. etc.

So they destroyed some unique architecture and turned it into a a great example of "Early American Bad Taste", included no street level retail in an area that desperately needs it, put a drive thru in the ******* thing increasing vehicle traffic and further squelching the walkability of what could and should be one of our best urban avenues and this is "better"? WTF?

That's not even taking into account that the previous plans a year ago were to build a 25 story condo development on the site... How can this possibly be considered good... or better?
And on top of that, the city gave them a tax abatement. The architecture in Clay Terrace is better than this...
KM1410 no está en línea  
Old April 23rd, 2007, 06:14 AM   #13
CorrND
Moderator Chris

It would take a strange mind to appreciate the Zipper Building. It was an ugly POS that didn't fit into the surroundings or do anything for the area. The Broadbent redesign is better in everyway: a design that fits into the area, is vibrant and accessible with multiple visible entrances, ground-level retail, etc. Not to mention this redevelopment keeps a local headquarters in downtown instead of fleeing to the northside.

Complaints about the drive-through or what could have been built instead are valid, but complaining about the design itself is excessively negative.

Last edited by CorrND; April 23rd, 2007 at 06:26 AM.
CorrND no está en línea  
Old April 23rd, 2007, 06:32 AM   #14
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM1410 View Post
And on top of that, the city gave them a tax abatement. The architecture in Clay Terrace is better than this...
You're joking about complaining about the tax abatement, right? The abatement is a pidly $60k/yr ($361,296 over 6yrs). The abatements and payments the city granted for the Conrad and JW Marriott projects were in the range of 20-25%. This abatement represents about 4%.
CorrND no está en línea  
Old April 23rd, 2007, 07:19 AM   #15
benjaminooo
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 32

The zipper building is a slap in the face compared to what used to stand in it's spot. The new design doesn't appeal to me, but it's an improvement in my opinion.

Last edited by benjaminooo; April 23rd, 2007 at 08:14 AM.
benjaminooo no está en línea  
Old April 23rd, 2007, 08:13 AM   #16
benjaminooo
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 32

yeah, that's what I posted.. but apparently I can't link images from my picasa account. i love that building.

http://picasaweb.google.com/benjamin...DaysWereGolden
benjaminooo no está en línea  
Old April 23rd, 2007, 05:37 PM   #17
Unionstation13

The zipper building was functional and plain, faddish, and disrespected the historic avenue it sat on. It was not timeless, not even a modern timeless.
The building that stood in its place before was a beauty, a beautiful landmark that respected the avenue and its history. Though, the new design is not amazing, its not hidiouse either, it is more timeless then the zipper building. Its not cutting edge, its not thrilling either, but it is a good design that atleast fits with the urban patterns.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 06:19 PM   #18
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

I like the design and I find that it is a marked improvement over the Soviet-era Zipper Building. I think that the redesign will engage the street more as it is a much more inviting structure and the addition of a clock "tower" will accentuate the verticle massing, something that the building lacks. The drive-thru is no different looking than a parking garage, so I am much-more agreeable to it. Granted, it shoudn't be there, but it doesn't appear to be a drive-thru, which is good.

What's the latest on the residential rehab of the Jefferson Plaza and the former JA Building? I keep looking for construction activity, but I am not noticing a thing. That plaza there would make for a great out-door dining area and residential would breath much-needed life into that quad.

As a side note, I went with my parents to the Eagle's Nest for brunch yesterday. I had never been there before and the views are spectacular. he food was HORRIBLE and I doubt I go back, but at least we talked about things other than the food as we had a view that made-up for it.

Our downtown has come a long way and even though I hate the location, I must say that the new JW Marriott is going to be a welcome addition to the west side of downtown.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 06:24 PM   #19
hoosier

I get sad when I see all of those streetcar routes criss-crossing through downtown Indy. Why oh why did we ever tear them out?
hoosier no está en línea  
Old April 23rd, 2007, 06:29 PM   #20
hoosier

Some positive news from the IndyStar today:

Kei-Nashia Hall tripped on a stretch of sidewalk last week and sprawled face first.

The 3-year-old trips often, said her mother, Markeita Hall, but this fall couldn't just be chalked up to toddler inexperience.

She tripped over crumbling pieces of sidewalk. In fact, many of the sidewalks in their Near-Eastside neighborhood are in disrepair, her mother said.
"It's dangerous," said Hall, 22. "At night, you have to pick your way across the sidewalk, carefully."

The good news: A four-block section of 12th Street where the Hall family lives will be fixed as part of a ramped-up curb-and-sidewalk replacement plan this summer. The bad: Hundreds of similar projects on the city's list will take up to 10 years to address, even as crews aim to scour five times the amount of sidewalk space they have handled in past years.

Most of the work is being funded by $10 million from the state's lease of the Indiana Toll Road, which financed a statewide road-building program called Major Moves, an initiative of Gov. Mitch Daniels'.

The city still will have a $47 million backlog of sidewalk repair work requests and the list grows daily, officials said. Last year, the list increased by $19 million in requests, according to the Department of Public Works.

There has been a backlog of repair requests for years. Sidewalk repair and replacement work is so far behind that a call to the Mayor's Action Center reporting a badly damaged sidewalk is not likely to result in repairs for five years or longer, officials said.

Officials estimate it will take 10 years to finish all the sidewalk and curb repair and replacement requests now on the list.

Mayor Bart Peterson credited Daniels and Major Moves for the resources to get some of the work done.

"I think it will be noticeable and make a significant difference,'' Peterson said.

The new initiative reverses a downward trend for city sidewalk spending. The city has been spending less than $3 million each year on the curb and sidewalk program since 2004. In 2003, $4 million was spent; in 2002, $4.1 million was spent; and in 2001, $6.9 million went to sidewalks and curbs.

Officials said that money came from gasoline taxes.

Work has already begun on 32nd Street near Crown Hill Cemetery, 52nd Street west of Keystone Avenue and Cornelius Avenue north of 38th Street.
Carlton Ray, DPW's deputy director of engineering, said the city uses a handful of factors to create its annual project list. The process starts with an inspection of the site and a rating of 0-5, where 0 means the sidewalk is totally deteriorated and 5 means the sidewalk is brand new.

Locations near schools, churches or other areas with high foot traffic will push the area up the priority list, Ray said.

Also getting higher priority are requests from people with disabilities.
The city relies on gas taxes to fund the $3 million budgeted annually for sidewalk repair and replacement. That amount pays for about six miles of sidewalk repairs a year, officials said. New sidewalk construction is rare.
Ray said City-County Council members help the department identify priority areas in each district. Council members solicit recommendations from local neighborhood groups.

Peterson said he probably hears more about sidewalks than about any other issue. The Mayor's Action Center receives more than 500 calls per year requesting sidewalk and curb repairs.

Scott Keller, a Republican council member, said decisions are left to DPW engineers rather than to politicians. But to make sure his district is in consideration, he turns in a list of requests every year, he said.

"They're horrible in my district," Keller said. "I get complaints from older people who say they have to take their walkers out on the street because the sidewalks are so bad."

Keller's district includes the 12th Street section where Hall and her daughter live. Two doors down, Linda Gourley, 56, first said she doubted the sidewalks would lead to more substantial improvements in the neighborhood.

On the other hand, she noted, the Halls fixed the sidewalk in front of their house during a recent remodeling. And maybe not coincidentally, she said, they do the best job on the street of keeping their yard clean.

Call Star reporter Brendan O'Shaughnessy at (317) 444-2751.

It pisses me off that Indy has taken such shit care of its sidewalks. Along 56th Street west of the eastern leg of I-465 there are NO sidewalks in a heavily residential area!!

My hometown of Bloomington has better sidewalks than Indianapolis.

If Indy wants to truly become "world-class" it has to ween itself off the automobile tit and welcome rail and pedestrian travel.
hoosier no está en línea  

Closed Thread