daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old May 1st, 2007, 05:40 PM   #201
billionbucks
Colts Fan

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
The IndyStar had an article today about the fact that the American Lung Association ranked Indianapolis in the Top 10 in cities with the worst air quality. This can't be good for marketing or development.

Indy needs to start a massive tree planting campaign, which is what Atlanta did in the early 1990s.

This problem won't go away on its own.
Indianapolis was built on a swamp and the land dips in the middle, so it is harder for pollution to leave the city when it comes in or is made. Doesn't surprise me, though. I would like to see more trees, and maybe this will prompt more eco-friendly building designs that incorporate better street landscape in the designs? We'll see.

Sponsored Links
Old May 1st, 2007, 07:02 PM   #202
benjaminooo
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrND View Post
I haven't seen the one you mentioned at Penn and Maryland, but maybe that was a reaction to the abduction and rape a couple months ago? I can't remember exactly where that happened, but I think it was around there. I gotta think that the city would generally really like to keep these out of the core. That one was probably an exception to make people feel safer. An inconspicuous camera wouldn't make people feel safer.
"the rape" was at Market and Delaware. this camera is over by the conseco fieldhouse/omega building.
benjaminooo no está en línea  
Old May 1st, 2007, 07:03 PM   #203
OSUBucks#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
The IndyStar had an article today about the fact that the American Lung Association ranked Indianapolis in the Top 10 in cities with the worst air quality. This can't be good for marketing or development.

Indy needs to start a massive tree planting campaign, which is what Atlanta did in the early 1990s.

This problem won't go away on its own.

I also agree that Indianapolis really needs to go crazy with tree plantings/landscaping. This is an opportunity to really set the city apart from others of similar sizes. I also wish that the city would begin to really push for more green buildings, almost making it a requirement for all new buildings of a certain scale to be required to have a certain number of "green" features.

In regards to the tree planting, etc, I think Indianapolis has a lot of work to do on their parks system. I think the city desperately needs more high quality parks, nature parks that is.
OSUBucks#1 no está en línea  
Old May 1st, 2007, 07:23 PM   #204
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

I think that if we made more requirments for factories in the city, it would probably reduce it greatly, more greenery would help, Indianapolis is pretty forested, I mean, in aerial shots, the entire city seems to be buried under large trees.
Old May 1st, 2007, 07:46 PM   #205
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

The IndyStar boards are alive with the Smog news. Fingers are being pointed at Bart (as usual).
Old May 1st, 2007, 08:10 PM   #206
indyfiend
INDYFIEND

I would imagine they point their fingers at Bart, then jump into their 5 mpg suv, drive from their downtown job all the way to their Fishers home. They're too dense to realize that their lifestyle is the biggest contributor to the smog problem.
indyfiend no está en línea  
Old May 1st, 2007, 08:22 PM   #207
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Likes (Received): 14

I work at Indiana Square and was just in the basement. There are areas throughout that have blue tape markings on the floor. When I asked what this was for I was told they are going to core drill (60 feet) in these spots. With the new curtain wall being installed there will be a lot of added weight to the building. They are trying to see what type of support this structure has.
Old May 1st, 2007, 09:37 PM   #208
ablerock

Likes (Received): 29

The cameras were all over the news last year. They're conspicuous for a reason. Chicago installed them and supposedly saw a drop in their crime rate. When crime started escalating here, Peterson jumped on the bandwagon and did the same.

IMHO, it seems cameras only help apprehend criminals after they've committed a crime.

From http://www.indygov.org/eGov/Mayor/PR.../2006124d.htm:

Public Safety Camera Installation Locations

14 permanent installs (protecting critical infrastructure)
-Penn and Maryland (SW Corner)
-Delaware and Maryland (SW Corner)
-Penn and Georgia (SW Corner)
-Meridian and Georgia (NE Corner)
-Meridian and Jackson Place (N of Jackson, West side on Meridian)
-Illinois and Jackson Place (West side of Illinois at Jackson)
-Illinois and Georgia (NE corner)
-Capitol and Georgia (NE Corner)
-Capitol and Maryland (NW Corner)
-Maryland and Illinois (SE Corner)
-Capitol and Washington (NE Corner)
-Ohio and Illinois (NW Corner)
-Meridian and Ohio (NW Corner)
-[Location not disclosed due to Homeland Security]

13 mobile cameras for targeting crime hotspots (preliminary locations)*
- Capitol and 38th Street
- Capitol and 34th Street
- Rural and 10th Street
- Michigan Street and Rural
- Market Street and State Street
- Emerson Avenue and 38th Street

*Initial locations determined by crime data as of November 2006. Installation sites may change depending on crime trends. Data still being compiled to determine locations of seven mobile cameras.
ablerock no está en línea  
Old May 1st, 2007, 10:03 PM   #209
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 463

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablerock View Post
IMHO, it seems cameras only help apprehend criminals after they've committed a crime.
Aren't people criminals only after they've committed a crime?

(sorry, had to do it!)
CorrND no está en línea  
Old May 1st, 2007, 10:39 PM   #210
ablerock

Quote:

(sorry, had to do it!)
Touche! :-)

I should have added they aren't much good at stopping criminals mid-crime.

If cameras were true deterrents, Village Pantry would be the safest place in the world. :-)
Old May 1st, 2007, 10:43 PM   #211
billionbucks
Colts Fan

Quote:

(sorry, had to do it!)
Actually, the Michigan and Rural camera caught a crime in progress on its first weekend after being installed.
Old May 1st, 2007, 10:45 PM   #212
billionbucks
Colts Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilson758 View Post
The IndyStar boards are alive with the Smog news. Fingers are being pointed at Bart (as usual).
Yup. They are also saying Bart is throwing money away at the cultural trail... even though 2/3 of it is private donations and the rest is from Federal Government... but the indystar posters don't care, they just simply hate the trail and Bart.
Old May 1st, 2007, 10:49 PM   #213
Unionstation13

the cameras wont stop crime, but it will discourage it greatly, its easier to get away with crimes without them. If they are able to catch them faster with these cameras, then that will discourage criminals greatly.
Old May 1st, 2007, 11:36 PM   #214
ablerock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unionstation13 View Post
the cameras wont stop crime, but it will discourage it greatly, its easier to get away with crimes without them. If they are able to catch them faster with these cameras, then that will discourage criminals greatly.
I hope you're right. I just know they never discouraged me.

;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilson758
I emailed my old boss at the City and asked what was going on with the Grain Dealers reuse.

"(2007-ZON-VAR-VAC-806). It is currently scheduled for 4-26-07. They are proposing a 190-foot tall building for a hotel, condos in the exiting building and some retail and a parking garage on Illinois, with some retail. The hotel building's front would not face Meridian, but would face south - We love it!"

I have a lot of respect for the City's planners opinions and I am sure that they are doing all they can to make sure that this is an urban project. I asked if there was any indication of teh hotel brand or restaurants and he said "no."
I just saw a rendering of this project (looking northwest) dated April 30, 2007. The design does leave a bit to be desired, but the project's scale and density are positives. Anyone know if the zoning variance hearing was pushed back to that date? (which was yesterday) Perhaps we'll hear news soon.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 03:08 AM   #215
ablerock

Does anyone have links/images of the original MSA proposals? I'd like to compare the old to the new and my memory isn't serving me well tonight.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 03:14 AM   #216
KM1410

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablerock View Post
Does anyone have links/images of the original MSA proposals? I'd like to compare the old to the new and my memory isn't serving me well tonight.
http://web.bsu.edu/capic/rcp2020/arc...ry/msa/msa.asp
KM1410 no está en línea  
Old May 2nd, 2007, 03:18 AM   #217
IndiexInxIndy
Fuck The Bullshit!

What if....

WHAT IF we all banded together & orchestrated a proposal for a tree planting campaign this summer? We could target & designate like 7 spots for (2007) And we could vigorously plant these trees like every other Saturday doing Sunday's in between? It would like like over a course of 2 1/2 months from early June to mid August...

Such spots could be @ Michigan Rd. (soon to be mlk) & 465, Broad Ripple, Downtown in various locations, etc. etc. The possiblities are endless! So who here would be down for such a lovely idea?
Old May 2nd, 2007, 03:29 AM   #218
ablerock

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM1410 View Post
Gracias. I owe you one. :-)
Old May 2nd, 2007, 08:56 AM   #219
cityfan

Likes (Received): 1

Gateway

I read something a few months ago in IBJ about a "Gateway Truss" project or something along those lines that is planned near the northern end of the canal. Can anyone give some updates on that? It seemed like a very interesting project.
cityfan no está en línea  
Old May 2nd, 2007, 05:28 PM   #220
Unionstation13

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiexInxIndy View Post
WHAT IF we all banded together & orchestrated a proposal for a tree planting campaign this summer? We could target & designate like 7 spots for (2007) And we could vigorously plant these trees like every other Saturday doing Sunday's in between? It would like like over a course of 2 1/2 months from early June to mid August...

Such spots could be @ Michigan Rd. (soon to be mlk) & 465, Broad Ripple, Downtown in various locations, etc. etc. The possiblities are endless! So who here would be down for such a lovely idea?
That would be great, but at the same time, we dont want to have those ugly little trees that never grow(like in the suburbs) it may be more expensive, but trees that grow faster would be better for downtown.
A petition would be good aswell for downtown greenery, I always thought that the Indiana avenue, and city market area, lacked greenery.

Closed Thread