daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old May 2nd, 2007, 06:44 PM   #221
IndiexInxIndy
Fuck The Bullshit!

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unionstation13 View Post
That would be great, but at the same time, we dont want to have those ugly little trees that never grow(like in the suburbs) it may be more expensive, but trees that grow faster would be better for downtown.
A petition would be good aswell for downtown greenery, I always thought that the Indiana avenue, and city market area, lacked greenery.
i COMPLETELY agree with ya! Not too long ago my neighborhood on the far NW side (86th & Ditch) got a sh!tload of trees from IPL! So our neighborhood planted em along our main drags & parks. Low & behold those 50 or so once "tiny" sugar maples are now around 10 ft. high!

So perhaps we can talk to IPL or some other endeavor? Cause like you said the places in dire need of trees, Indiana Avenue & Market Square... i might add Mass Ave. & around Conseco Fieldhouse too... So come on, let's hear some more support! Who knows, maaaybe we can band together & get a nice park built near "The Luke"? Lord knows we could use one down thurr!

Sponsored Links
Old May 2nd, 2007, 06:58 PM   #222
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 463

You need dirt to plant a tree. In all those places in downtown, you'd have to rip up sidewalks in order to have a place to put a tree.
CorrND no está en línea  
Old May 2nd, 2007, 07:02 PM   #223
IndiexInxIndy
Fuck The Bullshit!

Not Really Dude....

There's plenty of existing green patches and/or lots that have potential for "pocket" parks. Just look around... Some of those grassy areas can easily have trees planted upon them!
Old May 2nd, 2007, 08:22 PM   #224
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiexInxIndy View Post
There's plenty of existing green patches and/or lots that have potential for "pocket" parks. Just look around... Some of those grassy areas can easily have trees planted upon them!
I defy you to find a grassy spot in downtown that doesn't already have a tree planted on it. If you do, it's probably a site more suited to development (like the plot across from 757 Mass Ave).
CorrND no está en línea  
Old May 2nd, 2007, 08:50 PM   #225
IndiexInxIndy
Fuck The Bullshit!

That's the Thing.....

Just because a site has a tree or two on it doesn't mean it cannot use more. I can think of a number of places that have got some trees, yet @ the same time they can use some more!
Old May 2nd, 2007, 09:30 PM   #226
ablerock

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiexInxIndy View Post
WHAT IF we all banded together & orchestrated a proposal for a tree planting campaign this summer? We could target & designate like 7 spots for (2007) And we could vigorously plant these trees like every other Saturday doing Sunday's in between? It would like like over a course of 2 1/2 months from early June to mid August...

Such spots could be @ Michigan Rd. (soon to be mlk) & 465, Broad Ripple, Downtown in various locations, etc. etc. The possiblities are endless! So who here would be down for such a lovely idea?
IndiexInxIndy...

The Keep Indianapolis Beautiful "NeighborWoods" program sounds like it's right up your alley.

http://www.kibi.org/programs/urban_f...ghborwoods.htm

From their website:

"The NeighborWoods program, in partnership with the City of Indianapolis, will plant 100,000 trees throughout Indianapolis over the next ten years."

-

By the way, Keep Indianapolis Beautiful is in talks to buy the "Roger Pop" building at 1029 Fletcher Avenue in Fountain Square. I'm really looking forward to their moving in. It's going to be a great asset to the neighborhood.

...and while I'm on the topic of Fletcher Ave/Fountain Square, Calvary Tabernacle's new building is almost complete. They'll be leaving their current home at 902 Fletcher Avenue within a year. SEND is confident they'll sell the property. It's a huge lot with great redevelopment potential. Calvary Tab's current building there is hideous. It's the fort, I mean church, with the 3 huge crosses atop a tower you can see from 65/70 on the east side of downtown.
ablerock no está en línea  
Old May 2nd, 2007, 10:46 PM   #227
Harpua

Likes (Received): 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablerock View Post
...and while I'm on the topic of Fletcher Ave/Fountain Square, Calvary Tabernacle's new building is almost complete. They'll be leaving their current home at 902 Fletcher Avenue within a year. SEND is confident they'll sell the property. It's a huge lot with great redevelopment potential. Calvary Tab's current building there is hideous. It's the fort, I mean church, with the 3 huge crosses atop a tower you can see from 65/70 on the east side of downtown.
That's great news! I loathe that place. If SEND is doing the dealing, we can at least expect a decent quality development, assuming that they would tear down that piece of crap.
Harpua no está en línea  
Old May 2nd, 2007, 11:16 PM   #228
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
IndiexInxIndy...

The Keep Indianapolis Beautiful "NeighborWoods" program sounds like it's right up your alley.

http://www.kibi.org/programs/urban_f...ghborwoods.htm

From their website:

"The NeighborWoods program, in partnership with the City of Indianapolis, will plant 100,000 trees throughout Indianapolis over the next ten years."

-

By the way, Keep Indianapolis Beautiful is in talks to buy the "Roger Pop" building at 1029 Fletcher Avenue in Fountain Square. I'm really looking forward to their moving in. It's going to be a great asset to the neighborhood.

That church, is hidiouse, it does not fit in with the historical neighborhood. =/
I know about them, they plant flowers and stuff(I have seen them before).
But, a group focused on planting trees downtown in the spots needed most would be great. Indianapolis has the chance to do something so many cities dont, plant dozens of trees that will grow very large downtown, making the city a forested city(although, most of it is, but downtown over all isnt).
Trees help the air, make walking more attractive, make it feel nicer, etc.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 11:38 PM   #229
ablerock

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
I know about them, they plant flowers and stuff(I have seen them before).

But, a group focused on planting trees downtown in the spots needed most would be great. Indianapolis has the chance to do something so many cities dont, plant dozens of trees that will grow very large downtown, making the city a forested city.
Did you miss this?

"The (KIB) NeighborWoods program, in partnership with the City of Indianapolis, will plant 100,000 trees throughout Indianapolis over the next ten years."
ablerock no está en línea  
Old May 2nd, 2007, 11:40 PM   #230
Unionstation13

Quote:
Did you miss this?

"The (KIB) NeighborWoods program, in partnership with the City of Indianapolis, will plant 100,000 trees throughout Indianapolis over the next ten years."
I read that, yes.
But, I mean a group that will plant is specifically downtown, and in the next few years.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 12:10 AM   #231
benjaminooo
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:

This is seriously wonderful news on both accounts. I'm on Fletcher Ave just just a couple blocks away from the church and KIB's potential home and I really welcome the (re)development of that area. What is the deal with the IPS TV/Radio place across from the church? Is it in use?
benjaminooo no está en línea  
Old May 3rd, 2007, 12:45 AM   #232
billionbucks
Colts Fan

Quote:
IndiexInxIndy...

I had not realized they were doing work in that area. I used to work at the communications studios across the street from Canary Tab. Nice area.

-----

In other news... well, not really big news... But the new airport will include moving walkways.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...NESS/705020424
Old May 3rd, 2007, 12:46 AM   #233
billionbucks
Colts Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminooo View Post
This is seriously wonderful news on both accounts. I'm on Fletcher Ave just just a couple blocks away from the church and KIB's potential home and I really welcome the (re)development of that area. What is the deal with the IPS TV/Radio place across from the church? Is it in use?
Yes it is, I used to work there. Very nice studios on the inside, but the outside needs work... but its not like IPS can afford it.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 02:22 AM   #234
Unionstation13

Quote:
Originally Posted by billionbucks View Post
Yes it is, I used to work there. Very nice studios on the inside, but the outside needs work... but its not like IPS can afford it.
I'm sorry, whats the IPS?
Old May 3rd, 2007, 02:53 AM   #235
billionbucks
Colts Fan

Quote:
Indianapolis Public Schools
Old May 3rd, 2007, 03:25 AM   #236
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Forgive me, I had to do it.

IPS is well known within the metro...there's a story involving them every other day in the Star.
NaptownBoy no está en línea  
Old May 3rd, 2007, 04:54 AM   #237
Wu-Gambino

Likes (Received): 109

I was downtown the other day for the immigration rally, and took a few pics of the trail construction on Alabama Street:

a few of the rally. I'm working on a mega thread with pics from downtown, Little Flower, Arsenal Heights, Old Northside, and maybe my pics from the Chase Tower. I have no idea when I'll post it.

Wu-Gambino no está en línea  
Old May 3rd, 2007, 07:54 AM   #238
billionbucks
Colts Fan

Ah, I almost drove to Indy for the rally. Thanks for the pics

PS, what are they doing to the fountain on the circle? I see that little piece of machinery down there
Old May 3rd, 2007, 03:45 PM   #239
arenn

Likes (Received): 132

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl.../1003/BUSINESS

May 3, 2007

TODAY'S FOCUS: COMMERCIAL REAL ESTATE
Downtown condo glut creates buyer's market

By Jeff Swiatek
[email protected]

A decade ago, College Avenue Condos would have stood out in a Downtown Indianapolis housing market where hip and upscale new construction was in limited supply.

Location, location: SC Devcon began advertising its 11-unit Chatham Kynett Court condo project at 716 N. East St. about a year ago, but only four units have been sold or reserved so far. An emerging surplus of developments is a sign of maturity in the Downtown Indianapolis condo market, real estate experts say. - MATT KRYGER / The Star file photo

Today, the seven-unit luxury development at 1557 N. College Ave. is one of many such projects vying for buyers' attention in a market awash with more than 1,000 newly built or soon-to-be-built condo units.

"There is so much on the Downtown market right now," said Larry Gregerson, a Century 21 agent who is marketing the College Avenue Condos. "There aren't enough buyers to support it."

The ample supply -- some would say it's more like a growing glut -- of Downtown condos figures to bring lowered list prices and offers of free amenities for buyers as the spring selling season arrives.

Gregerson, the fourth agent to try to sell out the College Avenue project, is advertising a 10 percent price cut for the units, which range from $245,000 to $317,000. One has been sold.

The emerging oversupply is a sign of maturity in a Downtown condo market that barely existed until the late 1980s and then grew slowly until the late '90s.

"We have various choices now that people had never had. The market is finally awakening and opening up opportunities," said Kurt Flock, of Flock Real Estate Services, who has been selling Downtown housing for more than 18 years.

Indianapolis Downtown Inc. says 1,743 housing units, mostly condos, are slated to open in the next three years. F.C. Tucker Co.'s Web site for Downtown condos lists 29 projects with available units.

"There's definitely a lot more supply than demand," said developer Shawn Cannon of SC Devcon. "I'm in no hurry to build."

Cannon said if the location is right, a project will do all right.

He said it has taken longer than he had hoped to sell SC Devcon's 11-unit Chatham Kynett Court project at 716 N. East St. Marketing began more than a year ago, and four units have been sold or reserved.

To try to draw buyers, Cannon said, "You're offering everything you can: upgrades, giving them nicer things -- free granite tops, hardwood floors -- just to help them move."

Downtown condo developers find themselves in competition for buyers with suburban housing developments that offer more space at a cheaper price, said Doug Jones, owner of Urban Forward, who has developed three Downtown or near-Downtown projects.

"If I'm selling a $170,000 condo that has 1,200 square feet, someone can get a 3,000-square-foot box in Brownsburg for the same price," Jones said.
One steady and growing supply of buyers for Downtown condos is composed of students, faculty and staff of Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis.

"We sell about half of our units to people going to the IUPUI campus," Jones said. "I would build a lot more units if I could get closer to IUPUI."
But, he admitted, "it's tough to assemble any significant piece of ground over there."

The coming of a large residential project on the former Market Square Arena site, which the city wants to redevelop, figures to place even more units on the market in two years. The city plans to choose soon from two contenders, one proposing 200 condos at the site, the other 180 condos and 240 apartments.

"You've got an oversaturated market. That's very concerning" for developers, Cannon said.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 04:33 PM   #240
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by billionbucks View Post
Ah, I almost drove to Indy for the rally. Thanks for the pics

PS, what are they doing to the fountain on the circle? I see that little piece of machinery down there
They were replacing the fountain bowls and doing general repairs to the whole fountain system, but I thought that was supposed to be done last year. The fountains sure aren't running, so maybe things were in worse shape than they thought and they're behind schedule.
CorrND no está en línea  

Closed Thread