daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools
Old May 3rd, 2007, 04:34 PM   #241
benjaminooo
Unregistered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Fountain Square, Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 627
Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by billionbucks View Post
Ah, I almost drove to Indy for the rally. Thanks for the pics

PS, what are they doing to the fountain on the circle? I see that little piece of machinery down there
what CorrND said.

Last edited by benjaminooo; May 3rd, 2007 at 04:45 PM.
benjaminooo no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old May 3rd, 2007, 05:10 PM   #242
Unionstation13
Registered User
 
Unionstation13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Indianapolis/Lafayette
Posts: 3,439
Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaptownBoy View Post
Forgive me, I had to do it.

IPS is well known within the metro...there's a story involving them every other day in the Star.
sorry, wow, I really need to read the star more.
__________________
Peter- "Geesh, Meg is in there taking a nap under water!".
Unionstation13 no está en línea  
Old May 3rd, 2007, 05:11 PM   #243
Matt986
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Indianapolis (Fountain Square)
Posts: 107
Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminooo View Post
This is seriously wonderful news on both accounts. I'm on Fletcher Ave just just a couple blocks away from the church and KIB's potential home and I really welcome the (re)development of that area. What is the deal with the IPS TV/Radio place across from the church? Is it in use?
I completely agree. We also live very close to Calvary. That's easily the ugliest church that I've ever seen. When we first moved into the neighborhood I was naive enough to think that having the church there would be a good thing. Eight years later I'm counting the days till they are gone. Their only lasting contribution to the area will be all of the houses that they tore down to build that monstrosity and the parking lots they they need for their mainly suburban members. On the upside, the proper type of development on that site could really anchor the redevelopment that's happening in the area.

Since this is my first post on these forums, let me just say how impressed I am with the depth of knowledge about Indy that's present here. My wife and I are huge supporters of downtown and Fountain Square and I'm hoping that I'll occasionally be able to add something of value to the conversation.
Matt986 no está en línea  
Old May 3rd, 2007, 05:16 PM   #244
CorrND
Moderator Chris
 
CorrND's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 2,495
Likes (Received): 463

Quote:
Originally Posted by arenn View Post
One steady and growing supply of buyers for Downtown condos is composed of students, faculty and staff of Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis.

"We sell about half of our units to people going to the IUPUI campus," Jones said. "I would build a lot more units if I could get closer to IUPUI."
But, he admitted, "it's tough to assemble any significant piece of ground over there."
This is bullshit. Sure, they're not going to get enough land to build a subdivision, but only the near southside has more vacant land than the area between IUPUI and the core of downtown. Even setting aside the HUGE parking lots all over the place, I can probably point to a dozen small-to-medium sites that are perfect for residential development. These guys just have no imagination.
CorrND no está en línea  
Old May 3rd, 2007, 07:18 PM   #245
cwilson758
Cory
 
cwilson758's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: San Francisco via Indianapolis
Posts: 3,403
Likes (Received): 15

"A decade ago, College Avenue Condos would have stood out in a Downtown Indianapolis housing market where hip and upscale new construction was in limited supply.
Today, the seven-unit luxury development at 1557 N. College Ave. is one of many such projects vying for buyers' attention in a market awash with more than 1,000 newly built or soon-to-be-built condo units."



Although I don't deny that the downtown market is saturated with condos, I would like to offer my opinion as to why this particular project isn't selling...It is HIDEOUS, in an AWEFUL location, there is nothing unique or luxury about it, and is far too expensive! This project is at the southeast corner of 16th Street and College. First of all, it is very suburban in design with a large parking lot seperating it from both 16th Street and College Ave, which equals auto break-ins, IMO. At the northeast corner is a wonderful liquor store that is "home" for some people with loitering a major problem. At the southwest corner, there is an old, two-story building with the top half "ripped-off" and exposed to the elements. Finally, at the northwest corner, you will find one of the City's public housing projects! Sorry, but you couldn't GIVE me one of those units!!

Did this reporter even drive by the project before he was quick to blame the market for the lack of interest?

I do think that the market is getting crowded, but it is getting crowded with sameness. There aren't too many projects that are unique. They all look the same inside. The ones that are unique are all selling quickly. The developers need to get creative and stop plopping down the same project with just a different address.

Finally, I don't know of too many "students" that can afford a $200,000 condo near IUPUI. This is whay the downtown needs more apartments.
__________________
"Indianapolis has the reputation of a shark striking when other cities sleep."
cwilson758 no está en línea  
Old May 3rd, 2007, 07:38 PM   #246
Harpua
Registered User
 
Harpua's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Manzanita, OR
Posts: 245
Likes (Received): 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt986 View Post
I completely agree. We also live very close to Calvary. That's easily the ugliest church that I've ever seen. When we first moved into the neighborhood I was naive enough to think that having the church there would be a good thing. Eight years later I'm counting the days till they are gone. Their only lasting contribution to the area will be all of the houses that they tore down to build that monstrosity and the parking lots they they need for their mainly suburban members. On the upside, the proper type of development on that site could really anchor the redevelopment that's happening in the area.

Since this is my first post on these forums, let me just say how impressed I am with the depth of knowledge about Indy that's present here. My wife and I are huge supporters of downtown and Fountain Square and I'm hoping that I'll occasionally be able to add something of value to the conversation.
I'm very glad to see other development-savvy Foutain Square residents here. I think we reeeeeaaaaally need to band together and form a land use committee as part of a registered neighborhood organization. Too many bad projects get approved in FS for us not to take some steps to do something about it. We should be informed about any variances or rezonings in the area so that we have some input and can write letters in support or opposition of a project in our area. If we don't we can expect more of the same suburban-style projects, like the Calvary Church. We have one of the least involved neighborhood groups out there. Even Concord (between Meridian and Madison just south of downtown) is more active than our area is. We desperately need to do something about that. I think we could be great, as I wouldn't see us objecting to issues like density (unless they were conversions to multi-family) or height. I think most of us want a more urban feel to our neighborhood and would work well with planners.

Last edited by Harpua; May 3rd, 2007 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Wanted to add how cool we are
Harpua no está en línea  
Old May 3rd, 2007, 08:48 PM   #247
benjaminooo
Unregistered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Fountain Square, Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 627
Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpua View Post
I'm very glad to see other development-savvy Foutain Square residents here. I think we reeeeeaaaaally need to band together and form a land use committee as part of a registered neighborhood organization. Too many bad projects get approved in FS for us not to take some steps to do something about it. We should be informed about any variances or rezonings in the area so that we have some input and can write letters in support or opposition of a project in our area. If we don't we can expect more of the same suburban-style projects, like the Calvary Church. We have one of the least involved neighborhood groups out there. Even Concord (between Meridian and Madison just south of downtown) is more active than our area is. We desperately need to do something about that. I think we could be great, as I wouldn't see us objecting to issues like density (unless they were conversions to multi-family) or height. I think most of us want a more urban feel to our neighborhood and would work well with planners.
I agree with you. The one thing about Calvary Church, while I'll be glad to see it go, is that at least it isn't a mega-church shaped like a barn. I really hope the development in it's place will be dense and have no parking lots.

ALSO, if the city is going to tout FS as a an asset to downtown it should be making the effort to make presentable. Re-pave the roads, bring a street sweeper at least once a month, demolish/re-develop the already too many buy here/pay here car dealers (pipe dream), put in more street lamps, finish the sidewalk job.
benjaminooo no está en línea  
Old May 3rd, 2007, 08:57 PM   #248
Harpua
Registered User
 
Harpua's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Manzanita, OR
Posts: 245
Likes (Received): 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminooo View Post
I agree with you. The one thing about Calvary Church, while I'll be glad to see it go, is that at least it isn't a mega-church shaped like a barn. I really hope the development in it's place will be dense and have no parking lots.

ALSO, if the city is going to tout FS as a an asset to downtown it should be making the effort to make presentable. Re-pave the roads, bring a street sweeper at least once a month, demolish/re-develop the already too many buy here/pay here car dealers (pipe dream), put in more street lamps, finish the sidewalk job.
I couldn't agree more, although those buy here pay here places are all operating under permanent variances, or are zoned (albeit very inappropriately) for that use. I've done the research. I imagine that they'll skedaddle as soon as land values begin to climb, and their clientele will no longer be in the neighborhood. I agree with the street paving. We should feel lucky, though, as most of our sidewalks are in pretty respectable condition. The one thing that I'll add would be NO MORE CHAIN LINK FENCES!! That is one of the main reasons I would like to see an IHPC designation.
Harpua no está en línea  
Old May 3rd, 2007, 09:03 PM   #249
benjaminooo
Unregistered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Fountain Square, Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 627
Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpua View Post
I couldn't agree more, although those buy here pay here places are all operating under permanent variances, or are zoned (albeit very inappropriately) for that use. I've done the research. I imagine that they'll skedaddle as soon as land values begin to climb, and their clientele will no longer be in the neighborhood. I agree with the street paving. We should feel lucky, though, as most of our sidewalks are in pretty respectable condition. The one thing that I'll add would be NO MORE CHAIN LINK FENCES!! That is one of the main reasons I would like to see an IHPC designation.
While I find chain-link atrocious, I'd rather see a new chain-link fence compared to some of these things people call fences.

I do feel lucky as I do have brand new sidewalks on my street.. They are very nice, but there are still quite a few that need replaced. Not that any of the riff-raff will use them, damn street walkers.
benjaminooo no está en línea  
Old May 3rd, 2007, 09:21 PM   #250
arenn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,905
Likes (Received): 132

moochie, with the IHPC forcing massive downsizing of many proposed downtown projects, the cost per unit isn't going to go down any time soon. Remember, fixed costs like land have to be allocated across the units sold, and fewer units means higher fixed cost per unit by definition.

I personally believe that the neighborhood associations and the IHPC have an implicit agenda to keep out affordable housing from downtown through their application and abuse of the historic preservation laws.

500 Walnut was downsized by almost 50%, that means each of those 9 units is carrying a huge fixed cost tax on it.
__________________
My Urban Affairs Blog: http://www.urbanophile.com/
arenn no está en línea  
Old May 4th, 2007, 05:55 AM   #251
billionbucks
Colts Fan
 
billionbucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Indianapolis / DC
Posts: 642
Likes (Received): 0

The 98-year-old Guaranty Building on Monument Circle has attracted several prospective buyers, said Mike McMains, who owns the
property with John Barnard. The local entrepreneurs bought the 9-story, 100,000-square-foot building at 20 N. Meridian St. in 1997. After renovating the building, which was virtually empty at the time, they have achieved 100 percent occupancy. The owners were hoping to get at least $13 million for the building but word on the street is the offers are stronger. The largest tenant is e-mail marketing company ExactTarget. Others include Au Bon Pain Cafe, Nicky Blaine’s and South Bend Chocolate Cafe.
__________________
Indiana
billionbucks no está en línea  
Old May 4th, 2007, 04:36 PM   #252
cwilson758
Cory
 
cwilson758's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: San Francisco via Indianapolis
Posts: 3,403
Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by moochie View Post
Today I noticed that the Junior Achievement Building has been boarded up... What is going on there? Such potential on that site.
Moochie-

I thought that the JA building was part of the Jefferson Plaza reuse??? It isn't? That sucks. The building, although ugly right now, has great potential for a mixed-use apartment/condo and office use. I was noticing that it has huge windows that get direct sun in the AM.


On a side note, I noticed that 707 East North Street is finally peeking above the surrounding roof tops. I believe that are at the 3rd floor and it is to be an 8.5 story building. I feel bas for the people that bought at the Spring Street Condo building. They had great views of the City until the construction started on this project.

I am looking forward to this and the 3 Mass Ave project being completed. The Mass Ave area has a nice "mini" skyline going nd these will really contribute to that.
__________________
"Indianapolis has the reputation of a shark striking when other cities sleep."

Last edited by cwilson758; May 4th, 2007 at 04:42 PM.
cwilson758 no está en línea  
Old May 4th, 2007, 04:44 PM   #253
cwilson758
Cory
 
cwilson758's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: San Francisco via Indianapolis
Posts: 3,403
Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by billionbucks View Post
The 98-year-old Guaranty Building on Monument Circle has attracted several prospective buyers, said Mike McMains, who owns the
property with John Barnard. The local entrepreneurs bought the 9-story, 100,000-square-foot building at 20 N. Meridian St. in 1997. After renovating the building, which was virtually empty at the time, they have achieved 100 percent occupancy. The owners were hoping to get at least $13 million for the building but word on the street is the offers are stronger. The largest tenant is e-mail marketing company ExactTarget. Others include Au Bon Pain Cafe, Nicky Blaine’s and South Bend Chocolate Cafe.
The buyers of that building did do a great job of getting flly occupied and the retail has also been nice.

Who doesn't love Nicky Blaine's??
__________________
"Indianapolis has the reputation of a shark striking when other cities sleep."
cwilson758 no está en línea  
Old May 4th, 2007, 05:09 PM   #254
CorrND
Moderator Chris
 
CorrND's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 2,495
Likes (Received): 463

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilson758 View Post
The buyers of that building did do a great job of getting flly occupied and the retail has also been nice.

Who doesn't love Nicky Blaine's??
I love going in there every once in a while to pretend that I make enough to go in there! To their credit, the staff has always made me feel like I do belong.
CorrND no está en línea  
Old May 4th, 2007, 06:42 PM   #255
cwilson758
Cory
 
cwilson758's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: San Francisco via Indianapolis
Posts: 3,403
Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrND View Post
I love going in there every once in a while to pretend that I make enough to go in there! To their credit, the staff has always made me feel like I do belong.
I know how you feel! I used to work at Palomino when I was finishing up with school and we would go over there all the time after work.
__________________
"Indianapolis has the reputation of a shark striking when other cities sleep."
cwilson758 no está en línea  
Old May 4th, 2007, 07:22 PM   #256
indyfiend
INDYFIEND
 
indyfiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Woodruff Place-Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 373
Likes (Received): 0

I was just browsing newindianapolisairport.com. The new terminal is really starting to take shape.

indyfiend no está en línea  
Old May 4th, 2007, 09:05 PM   #257
CorrND
Moderator Chris
 
CorrND's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 2,495
Likes (Received): 463

Indy's on quite the road-renaming spree these days. First Stadium Dr. gets turned back into Indiana Ave. and now 11th St. is being changed to Oscar Robertson Blvd.


Oscar Robertson Street Naming Celebration
Saturday, May 12, 2007, 3:00 pm - 5:00 pm

The celebration is free and open to the public. The event begins at 3:00pm with a ribbon-cutting ceremony at the corner of Martin Luther King Street and Oscar Robertson Blvd (formerly 11th Street) and presentations by Mr. Robertson, Bart Peterson, the Mayor of Indianapolis, and other city and community dignitaries. Following the ceremony, the public is invited to join us for refreshments and to tour the Crispus Attucks Museum.

-------------

I like it. 11th St. has a pretty pathetic little existence in Indy. It's all chopped up by expressway ramps, rivers, and creeks and hardly even exists on the westside. Nice to give it some identity in downtown by honoring a great Hoosier who played amazing basketball for Crispus Attucks High School. Plus, it fits right in with the Indiana Ave. Cultural District theme of celebrating African-American history in the area.
CorrND no está en línea  
Old May 4th, 2007, 09:22 PM   #258
IndyBob
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 227
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by arenn View Post
moochie, with the IHPC forcing massive downsizing of many proposed downtown projects, the cost per unit isn't going to go down any time soon. Remember, fixed costs like land have to be allocated across the units sold, and fewer units means higher fixed cost per unit by definition.
Which is why I think Penn Tower will never be that tall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arenn View Post
I personally believe that the neighborhood associations and the IHPC have an implicit agenda to keep out affordable housing from downtown through their application and abuse of the historic preservation laws.

500 Walnut was downsized by almost 50%, that means each of those 9 units is carrying a huge fixed cost tax on it.
I have personal experience in working with this same neighborhood group. It's not that they don't want affordable housing - they don't even want middle income. They actually started a negative, misinformation campaign to deep six one of my projects.
IndyBob no está en línea  
Old May 4th, 2007, 09:39 PM   #259
IndyBob
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 227
Likes (Received): 0

Musings from Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBe View Post
cwilson,

Just out of curiosity, does the idea of a subway under downtown ever come up in discussions? Considering the CBD is just a mile square, a 1 mile segment underground shouldn't be inconceivable. I am the biggest supporter of mass transit and am going on 5 years without a car, but street level and elevated transit both have undesirable consequences (dividing neighborhoods, traffic, lines of sight, noise, etc.). The upfront expense of burying the downtown lines would certainly pay dividends for decades and future generations.
I've been a big proponent of a fixed-guide, trolley downtown for years. This will spur denser development from developers wanting to locate near the trolley.

I am posting from Frieburg, Germany, which I believe has a population just over 100,000. They have a tram system. Strasbourg, France, Brussels, Cologne, and Amsterdam all have trams. Cologne and Brussels have subways.

It's literally amazing to see the number of people using the trains and trams. It's a mad rush to and from the trains during rush hours. There are people "everywhere". Public market places are crammed. Outdoor dining everywhere.

Even the most common or mundane architecture is better than most U.S. cities.

As with Toronto, parking is almost invisible. Parking can be made to be less intrusive. Perhaps a combination of better zoning regulations and more creativity on the part of developers. Face it - developers in Indy do the absolute, bare minimum.

One positive about our downtown - it seems to stay alive later than the above-mentioned places (including Luxembourg). The sidewalks roll up around 7 or 8 pm, except Cologne, which kept partying until 5:30 or so.

Pictures will be posted upon my return.
IndyBob no está en línea  
Old May 4th, 2007, 09:56 PM   #260
ablerock
Registered User
 
ablerock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Fountain Square - Naptown
Posts: 1,900
Likes (Received): 29

The proposed 12-story student housing on Illinois St. between Walnut and St. Clair is going to be called Paramount Towers.
ablerock no está en línea  


Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu