daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old May 7th, 2007, 04:59 PM   #281
colts0315

Likes (Received):

We ate at the Ram and sat outside. Downtown street life was jumping yesterday, despite it being pretty windy. The JW Marriot is really going to make the view from the ballpark awesome. Right now, you can only seen the top of the Courtyard and can tell there's a parking lot in front of it.

Sponsored Links
Old May 7th, 2007, 05:34 PM   #282
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

Great pictures.
You got a pic of the beautiful stacks, that beautiful factory. =)
I was going to go to the game, but I had to go to the hospital all day(family thing). I agree about the villagio, but it does seem a little tall for the area(mostly small old homes).
Old May 7th, 2007, 06:07 PM   #283
ragerunner1

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrND View Post
Anybody notice that they mention 11 of 44 units in 3 Mass Ave have been pre-sold? They haven't even broken ground and they've already sold 25%! Seems to contradict the report from a week or two ago that the downtown condo market was oversaturated. As Cory mentioned, it seems that it's not oversaturation as much as the old real estate dogma: location, location, location.

Just remember, pre-sales don't automatically equal sold units. Cancellation rates in the US are running very high right now. Some numbers I have seen from developers are as high as 30 and 40 percent.
ragerunner1 no está en línea  
Old May 7th, 2007, 07:01 PM   #284
billionbucks
Colts Fan

Likes (Received): 0

Thanks for sharing pictures. Lucus Oil is looking good.
Old May 7th, 2007, 07:51 PM   #285
indyfiend
INDYFIEND

Darden closes Smokey Bones, Rocky River restaurants

FROM IBJ:Darden Restaurants is closing seven restaurants in Indiana—including the Smokey Bones Barbeque and Grill locations in downtown Indianapolis, Avon and Bloomington, plus the recently opened Rocky River Grillhouse in Castleton.

Other Indiana restaurants slated for closing are in Mishawaka, Merrillville and Evansville, the Orlando, Fla., company said Saturday.

The company is closing 54 Smokey Bones and two Rocky River locations nationwide, and plans to sell the remaining 73 Smokey Bones locations as part of an effort to “better position Darden for future growth,” Darden said.

"There are a number of Smokey Bones restaurants that have not performed well for some time now and the declining trend has accelerated," it said in a statement.

Darden late last month closed the Bahama Breeze restaurant on East 96th Street in Indianapolis.

Now I regret never trying this place. It always smelled good as you walked by. It's a prime location so I doubt it will be empty long.
indyfiend no está en línea  
Old May 7th, 2007, 08:31 PM   #286
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by moochie View Post
Smokey Bones was always average to sub-average barbecue. You didn't miss anything.
Looks like the one in Greenwood on US 31 is staying open. I've been there a few times, nothing special except you feel like you are eating in a log cabin.
Old May 7th, 2007, 09:40 PM   #287
benjaminooo
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyfiend View Post
FROM IBJ:Darden Restaurants is closing seven restaurants in Indiana—including the Smokey Bones Barbeque and Grill locations in downtown Indianapolis, Avon and Bloomington, plus the recently opened Rocky River Grillhouse in Castleton.
Awesome. I'm sure castleton will fill it in with another bland TGICHILIBEES, let's hope something unique takes the place of the downtown location... like a gigantic thai carryout.
benjaminooo no está en línea  
Old May 7th, 2007, 09:58 PM   #288
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

The Downtown Smokey Bones will be reused quickly, I am sure. The location is FANTASTIC since it is right on a corner and it has a substantial outdoor dining area.

I ate there once and vowed never again. I am not upset by this AT ALL.
Old May 7th, 2007, 10:14 PM   #289
Unionstation13

I went to smokey bones with my sister and a friend once,
we ate outside, and the barbeque... it tastes so rather odd. I cant put my finger on the taste... I hope we got some exotic restruant in its place.
Old May 7th, 2007, 10:42 PM   #290
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Likes (Received): 14

Up until a year ago I parked at the Union Station. Have they decided what will go in the Hollywood bar's old space?
Old May 7th, 2007, 11:22 PM   #291
cityfan

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobyhead View Post
Up until a year ago I parked at the Union Station. Have they decided what will go in the Hollywood bar's old space?

I've always thought that space would be good for an indie-film theater, although somewhere along mass ave would probably be a better location. Nonetheless, there should be one downtown.
cityfan no está en línea  
Old May 7th, 2007, 11:57 PM   #292
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 463

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobyhead View Post
It's been for sale/lease since Hollywood closed:

http://index.loopnet.com/xNet/MainSi...x?LID=14894514

Honestly, that space has been so retrofitted for theaters, someone is either going to have to WANT to operate it as a theater or pay a lot of money to turn it back into a normal space. I think a properly managed and advertised theater could still thrive there.
CorrND no está en línea  
Old May 8th, 2007, 01:12 AM   #293
ablerock

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrND View Post
Honestly, that space has been so retrofitted for theaters, someone is either going to have to WANT to operate it as a theater or pay a lot of money to turn it back into a normal space. I think a properly managed and advertised theater could still thrive there.
I wish I could buy that space and give it to the guy who runs Key Cinemas on the southside. I'd love to have a good arthouse downtown. Landmark up on the northside is a nice theater, but... it's up on the northside, and they really don't show that many underground films.

I'm glad Smokey Bones is closing. It made that area look tacky.

Does anyone else remember the building that used to be where Smokey Bones' outdoor seating is now? I always thought it was cool. It was made of concrete with a big circle window. It looked totally out of place, like some home out of a sci-fi movie.
ablerock no está en línea  
Old May 8th, 2007, 05:56 AM   #294
IUJIM

Likes (Received): 3

Question on the Penn tower??

I recently saw a preliminary drawing of the Penn Tower. My question for those in the know is...

...Is the very Northeast corner of Penn and Maryland excluded from the developement?? The rendering I saw had that part of the parking lot excluded. I don't know if the drawings I saw were recent or not.

Thanks for any thoughts!!
IUJIM no está en línea  
Old May 8th, 2007, 06:24 AM   #295
indyfiend
INDYFIEND

2 Questions

I have never been to the Hollywood Bar and Filmworks, could it be transformed into a club? Seems logical given it's location in the entertainment district.

Who has the best BBQ in Indy? I LOVE ribs! I attend the Rib Fest every year and would love to find a local spot pig out.
indyfiend no está en línea  
Old May 8th, 2007, 06:25 AM   #296
IUJIM

the drawing I saw was an investor kit on CD that showed the pro forma's, as well as the drawings.

It showed an approx 3 story building in front of the apartment/warehouse...all of the underground schematics...and a tower where the Omega building and part of the parking lot are.

There was a cut-out on the northeast corner that was not included in the drawing.

As a potential investor....a prominant figure from Chicago was involved.
IUJIM no está en línea  
Old May 8th, 2007, 07:39 AM   #297
IUJIM

yes, JR is correct. The tower was not as tall as I have seen here, but once again, it may be dated.
IUJIM no está en línea  
Old May 8th, 2007, 10:47 AM   #298
cityfan

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablerock View Post
I don't think so, not other than what's been posted here already:

-600 units
-Tentative July '07 groundbreaking
-158'/12 stories (I've seen renderings with 12,13, and 14 stories. The most recent has 12. It's the one we're most likely to see.)
-Heartland Design (architects)
-conservative design (surprise!), looks to be limestone, deco/early 20th century/pre-modern styling

I just saw a new color rendering a couple of days ago dated May 7. That's when the "Paramount Towers" name first surfaced. We may hear something in the news soon.
A 12 storey, 600 unit building? Are the units really small or is this building going to take up a huge city block? Is this project a definite or still awaiting approval?
cityfan no está en línea  
Old May 8th, 2007, 04:38 PM   #299
Matt986

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyfiend View Post
Who has the best BBQ in Indy? I LOVE ribs! I attend the Rib Fest every year and would love to find a local spot pig out.
Try Judge's on the corner of Michigan and Belmont in Haughville. They started out (and are still in) the City Market, but his new(er) place in Haughville is really great. He does some darn good BBQ. The side dishes are outstanding, too.
Matt986 no está en línea  
Old May 8th, 2007, 05:20 PM   #300
Unionstation13

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUJIM View Post
the drawing I saw was an investor kit on CD that showed the pro forma's, as well as the drawings.

It showed an approx 3 story building in front of the apartment/warehouse...all of the underground schematics...and a tower where the Omega building and part of the parking lot are.

There was a cut-out on the northeast corner that was not included in the drawing.

As a potential investor....a prominant figure from Chicago was involved.
As much as I like the penn project,
I think they are making a huge mistake by demolishing the Omega building. Its not exactly the exchange block, but at the same time, it does contribute to an era in the city history, in which, atleast the facade should be saved. I emailed the historic preservation committee, what kind of talk has been going on with the wholesale district group?(or if thats what its called) Have the developers gotten approval from the wholesale district historical group? I emailed them, and got t his reply

Dear Concerned Individual,

The “Omega” building is in the Wholesale Historic District and thereby protected by the Indianapolis Historic Preservation Commission (IHPC). No demolition can occur without getting the IHPC approval at a public hearing.

Sincerely,

David L. Baker, Administrator

Indianapolis Historic Preservation Commission

317-327-4409

Last edited by Unionstation13; May 8th, 2007 at 05:25 PM.
Unionstation13 no está en línea  

Closed Thread