daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old May 8th, 2007, 05:24 PM   #301
ablerock

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityfan View Post
A 12 storey, 600 unit building? Are the units really small or is this building going to take up a huge city block? Is this project a definite or still awaiting approval?
I talked to the developer and he's pretty confident of a July groundbreaking. Perhaps one of our government employee friends here can research whether it has been officially approved yet. I haven't seen any official announcements.

It's geared toward students, so the apartments aren't going to be huge... probably in the 500-600 sq ft range. The big question is where parking is going to be. I don't know whether he owns any lots nearby yet.

Speaking of parking lots, the developer also mentioned the Scottish Rite Cathedral was interested in selling him one of their's for development. I'm not sure which one he was talking about, but I'm guessing it's the one facing Meridian. (That will be hot property soon because the Cultural Trail touches it.) That's all he said.

Paramount Towers Site (The Big Pink H )
ablerock no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old May 8th, 2007, 06:17 PM   #302
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

I think that I "broke the news" on Penn Tower nearly 2 years ago now...WHEN is there going to be an official announcement of this project? Just like everyy other high rise project in Indianapolis, it will probably NEVER happen adn we will have spent 2 years salivating over NOTHING.
Old May 8th, 2007, 06:22 PM   #303
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilson758 View Post
I think that I "broke the news" on Penn Tower nearly 2 years ago now...WHEN is there going to be an official announcement of this project? Just like everyy other high rise project in Indianapolis, it will probably NEVER happen adn we will have spent 2 years salivating over NOTHING.
Agreed. I suppose that the old adage is correct then: if it's too good to be true, then it probably is!
NaptownBoy no está en línea  
Old May 8th, 2007, 06:24 PM   #304
IndiexInxIndy
Fuck The Bullshit!

Likes (Received): 0

Yea Thanks...

Thank ya Mooch for NOTHIN! I know it's not your fault but still. Like the IC it aint gonna happen... meh
Old May 8th, 2007, 06:29 PM   #305
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Likes (Received): 14

Had to take my son to Riley Children's Hospital this morning. I am amazed at all the development along 10th Street near Buggs Temple. IUPUI is also developing quite a bit. It's obvious I stay on the east end of downtown and don't get that way very often. Also saw a new law firm being built at 10th and Delaware. I used to live in the roach motel in the burned out apartment building @ 10th and Penn, (now that can be razed any time now )
Old May 8th, 2007, 06:46 PM   #306
IndiexInxIndy
Fuck The Bullshit!

A VERY cool pic!

This picture shows the very dense but very underated far northeast side of Downtown, in & around Mass Ave... I was quite impressed when i saw this for a number of reasons. 1) Near the lovely large church to the right there are some very French lookin buildings 2) There is A LOT of density! 3) That Barton Building really's not bad after all...

http://skyscrapers.com/en/il/im/?id=292614
Old May 8th, 2007, 06:51 PM   #307
cwilson758
Cory

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiexInxIndy View Post
This picture shows the very dense but very underated far northeast side of Downtown, in & around Mass Ave... I was quite impressed when i saw this for a number of reasons. 1) Near the lovely large church to the right there are some very French lookin buildings 2) There is A LOT of density! 3) That Barton Building really's not bad after all...

http://skyscrapers.com/en/il/im/?id=292614
Toss in the 3 Riley Towers, the U/C 707 East North Street at 8 stories and the "to break ground May 15" # Mass Ave at 10 stories, and the area certainly has a nice residential skyline that is starting to take shape. Finally, with the possible addition of at least a 14-story tower on the MSA Site, I am pleased with how this area is developing.
Old May 8th, 2007, 07:05 PM   #308
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

Did anyone here that a section of historic downtown Crawfordsville was destroyed this morning? Depressing, one personis still missing, and alot of history was destroyed in the Athens of Indiana.
The Old New york shoeshop, silver dollar, the 1882 building, and another historic structure were lost,
I have seen them, the 1882 building was recently restored and was beautiful, no is chared, the silver dollar, though the exterior not exactly flattering, the interior had historic woodwork and fine detailing, the new york shoe shop, though in rough condition, had beautiful detailing, on the trim, interior, windows, and storefronts. The last building that was lost, was a sturty brick and limestone building,
now all gone. Hopefully some of the craftsmanship can be removed and cleaned.

Last edited by Unionstation13; May 8th, 2007 at 07:37 PM.
Unionstation13 no está en línea  
Old May 8th, 2007, 07:52 PM   #309
cwilson758
Cory

Quote:
Originally Posted by moochie View Post
You first broke the news in October 2005. I know that because that was what motivated me to make my first post. For a project this complex, a development period this long is normal. It's still happening. In fact, groundbreaking has always been scheduled for this spring. We're now only seeing the first delay... Patience...

OK, 1.5 years ago then. Semantics.

However, my nickname in grade school was "impatience," so it will be tough for me to stay onboard with this project until I see a DAMN backhoe on the site!

Sorry, I just had to rant about this
Old May 8th, 2007, 07:53 PM   #310
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

(Its not Indianapolis news)

Journal Review

Authorities are investigating a fire that destroyed nearly a quarter block of Downtown Crawfordsville early Tuesday morning.

Robin Baumann was still at work at the Silver Dollar, in the 100 block of South Washington Street, when she saw smoke about 3:45 a.m. Baumann called police and said she didn’t see flames for at least a half an hour.
It was unclear early Tuesday if anyone was injured. The extent of the damage had not been determined in the five buildings in that block by morning. Emergency officials ordered residents and workers in the area to remove vehicles from streets. Baumann was unable to retrieve her car parked very near one of the buildings. She stood among a crowd of onlookers on a corner across the street. By morning, she saw bricks had fallen from one of the buildings onto the car and at one point she saw flames shooting from the car.

The State Fire Marshal has been called to investigate, along with Crawfordsville Police investigators who are on scene.

Crawfordsville Fire Chief Todd Barton was leading several fire departments including Greencastle, which brought its aerial truck to the blaze.
Other area fire departments manned the Crawfordsville station in the event of other emergencies. More information will be posted here as updates are available.
Old May 8th, 2007, 09:05 PM   #311
Indywatch

Does anyone have a link or picture of the new condo developement going up on St. Joseph behind the Renaissance Inn? I think the name of the project is Renaissance Flats. I was told they would be very contemporary similar to that project on E 10th near Park or Broadway. If true, Renaissance Flats, along with a new commercial building at 10th and Delaware and the New Gresk Center caddy corner to that developement (already being built) really are adding a contemporary flare to what is know as St. Josheph Historic district... and for that, I'm somewhat surprised they are getting approved. I like them but are just surprised cause they dont really fit in with the architectual flare of St. Joe. If someone could make the old Central Restuarant Product building a condo conversion, and develope what was Superior Plumbing there will be very little vacant land left in St. Joe.
Indywatch no está en línea  
Old May 8th, 2007, 10:40 PM   #312
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 466

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indywatch View Post
Does anyone have a link or picture of the new condo developement going up on St. Joseph behind the Renaissance Inn? I think the name of the project is Renaissance Flats. I was told they would be very contemporary similar to that project on E 10th near Park or Broadway. If true, Renaissance Flats, along with a new commercial building at 10th and Delaware and the New Gresk Center caddy corner to that developement (already being built) really are adding a contemporary flare to what is know as St. Josheph Historic district... and for that, I'm somewhat surprised they are getting approved. I like them but are just surprised cause they dont really fit in with the architectual flare of St. Joe. If someone could make the old Central Restuarant Product building a condo conversion, and develope what was Superior Plumbing there will be very little vacant land left in St. Joe.
You should read arenn's blog post about Historic Districts. He deals with issues like why contemporary projects like these are approved and why high density projects that fit right in within historic districts, like 500 Walnut, are forced to dramatically reduce their density.

http://theurbanophile.blogspot.com/2...districts.html
CorrND no está en línea  
Old May 8th, 2007, 10:43 PM   #313
INDY#1FAN

Likes (Received): 2

Hmmmm

Anyone else think Moochie has just been making up this entire thing about Penn Tower? Just stirrin' the pot?
INDY#1FAN no está en línea  
Old May 8th, 2007, 10:46 PM   #314
IndiexInxIndy
Fuck The Bullshit!

I Too Think It's Bullspit!

Naw, it's cool Moochie. We just neeeed results!
Old May 9th, 2007, 12:57 AM   #315
Powerslave

I think we ought to cut Moochie some slack. It's awesome that he's shared so much info about the Penn Tower.

That being said, I'm a pessimist by nature and I don't really expect to see anything grand come out of this project. By grand I mean tall, and by tall I mean anything at least as tall as the Regions building. I have been clamoring for another skyline enhancing building for years, and I got really excited when I heard this tower could be upwards of 600'. Naturally I am going to be disappointed if it's anything less. I predict it will be somewhere in the 200-300' 'insignificant' range. I hope I'm wrong, but I predicted the Marriot would be chosen over the Intercontinental, so my instincts are pretty good. Then again, I also predicted the Patriots would beat the Colts in the AFC Championship (sure am glad I was wrong about that one! ), so I don't really know anything
Powerslave no está en línea  
Old May 9th, 2007, 01:37 AM   #316
ablerock

Quote:
I'd much prefer to see a half dozen 300 footers filling in the gaps than one 1000 footer.
Amen.
Old May 9th, 2007, 03:16 AM   #317
IndiexInxIndy
Fuck The Bullshit!

While I'm on the topic of NW Downtown vantage pts. chk this lovely one out... http://www.rileytowers.com/photos.php (It's actually lookin Downtown but it surely is a beauty!)
Old May 9th, 2007, 03:25 AM   #318
KM1410

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY#1FAN View Post
Anyone else think Moochie has just been making up this entire thing about Penn Tower? Just stirrin' the pot?
You created a screen name just to make that post?
KM1410 no está en línea  
Old May 9th, 2007, 04:16 AM   #319
ablerock

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiexInxIndy View Post
I can't believe Riley Towers' website actually says "The ultimate view of urban indulgence."

What the heck does that even mean?
Old May 9th, 2007, 04:22 AM   #320
ablerock

Quote:
Speaking as a downtowner who spends around $30/month for gas, I can't imagine wanting to commute and pay hundreds a month for gas.
You just made my day! I've lived downtown for a while but I'm about to have an uber-short commute. I'm starting a new job monday in the Lockerbie area and moving to Fountain Square tomorrow. My commute is going to be 3 minutes by automobile and about 10 on a bicycle.

I'm stressed out for at least a week after visiting friends who live on the northside. I can't imagine starting out every weekday driving in that mess.

Closed Thread