daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old May 9th, 2007, 04:22 AM   #321
IndiexInxIndy
Fuck The Bullshit!

Likes (Received): 0

NE myyy bad... Gawd, that was pretty damn dumb! x_X

Sponsored Links
Old May 9th, 2007, 06:36 AM   #322
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 463

Quote:
Originally Posted by moochie View Post
When you look at it, there's a good chance that we'll have three 300-400+ footers breaking ground within a year. The JW, Kosene at MSA, (I really do believe one of those towers will grow by 8 to 10 penthouse stories if it's chosen) and Penn Tower.

Now, with gas prices practically guaranteed to go to $4/gallon this summer, if that doesn't relent, or even go higher... will someone capitalize on the high demand for rentals downtown and build some highrises? I don't see why another Riley Towers couldn't be built downtown... hopefully with better architecture... At any rate, I see demand for mid income downtown living increasing soon.

Speaking as a downtowner who spends around $30/month for gas, I can't imagine wanting to commute and pay hundreds a month for gas. Will increased gas prices help urban areas? I have to think so. But then... not everyone thinks like me.
Wow, $30/mo even for someone that lives/works downtown is pretty amazing. I live about a half mile from work and walk as much as I can (I admit I drive when it's raining), but even then I have to drive out of downtown fairly often for items that can't be bought here (a downtown Target would help). I'm probably more in the $60-70/mo range.

Still, I agree that it's amazing the amount of time and money that people are throwing down the drain on their outrageous commutes. There has to be a breaking point with regard to gas prices, but where is it? Five years years ago, most thought it was in the $3-$5 range. Clearly $3 doesn't seem to be doing much but setting off people's yappers, but maybe $4 or $5 will really get their attention about lifestyle choices?

Last edited by CorrND; May 9th, 2007 at 06:42 AM.
CorrND no está en línea  
Old May 9th, 2007, 04:29 PM   #323
k2h

Likes (Received): 16

High Gas Prices a Good Thing?

I think higher gas prices benefit us for the following reasons:

1) Acceptance of ethanol as a viable alternative energy source. As gas prices increase, ethanol becomes a more attractive option for drivers. This is good for Indiana in more ways than one.

2) Changes consumption habits. People tend to find alternatives to driving when their finances are involved. Walking, biking, taking public transit suddenly become a popular alternative to driving an automobile.

3) Encourages innovation. Let's face it, American car companies are not losing their competitive edge because of employee pensions, it is because they became complacent and stopped being innovative. The era of the polluting internal combustion engine needs to come to a end.

4) Air Quality. As people change habits and drive less or utilize alternative fuels, our air quality improves. Given the results of the most recent air quality study nationwide, Indy residents should be concerned.

5) No more dependence on foreign oil. Whether we like to admit it or not, America covets the world's oil supply and we get ourselves into a real mess in our efforts to protect our interests.

While i can think of many more points, in general, it is my hope that higher gas prices continue to serve as a catalyst for change in this country and we become a leader in the alternative energy industry.
k2h no está en línea  
Old May 9th, 2007, 04:58 PM   #324
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Likes (Received): 14

When I moved out of Riley Towers in 1999 my rent for a one bedroom was at $830 per month. Granted you pay for the view and how high up you live but I found that too pricey. I agree that there should be more affordable apartments downtown. I for one do not like the commute and only live near Beech Grove. I miss being close to work.
Old May 9th, 2007, 05:01 PM   #325
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by moochie View Post
Wow.. $60 to $70/month to get groceries and run errands? Are you sure? I have to drive to Lowes/Menards/Home Depot 2 to 3 times a week, and I don't burn that much. Have you changed your air filter lately? Unless you're going nearly every day, you really shouldn't be burning that much fuel.

I'm guessing that sustained $3 a gallon would have a larger effect than you realize. It may not cause people to sell their homes in a former cornfield in the middle of ******* nowhere and stop driving their SUV, but I'd guess that if gas were consistently $3-$4/gallon, new buyers wouldn't look to buy that home in Danville and commute to Indy and would look a lot more seriously at a fuel efficient car next time it's time for a new ride.

Now, $5-$6/gallon... That'd have a real effect. and not a good one initially.. recession city methinks as the cost of everything goes up..
Well, it's not just groceries and errands. It's things like visiting my brother in Meridian Park, going to dinner in Broad Ripple, shopping at Kahn's (John's ain't Kahn's), and buying computer parts at Fry's. Plus I drive an Escape which ain't the most fuel efficient car. And throw in the fact that my fiance much prefers driving into downtown than walking a dozen blocks. But hey, she grew up in Dallas. They sure love their cars down there.

Just out of curiosity, does anybody know where you can buy HD-DVDs in downtown? The only places in town I've found them are at Best Buy, which I detest, and Fry's and Circuit City, which are very far from downtown.
CorrND no está en línea  
Old May 9th, 2007, 05:03 PM   #326
IndiexInxIndy
Fuck The Bullshit!

Potential Sale Of One Indiana Square?

Did any one else here about this? Or am i just plain dilusional? Yet if this true will this halt the reclading & refacading of it? God, i hope not because this has potential to really change the rather rad skyline of Indy!
Old May 9th, 2007, 05:07 PM   #327
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiexInxIndy View Post
Did any one else here about this? Or am i just plain dilusional? Yet if this true will this halt the reclading & refacading of it? God, i hope not because this has potential to really change the rather rad skyline of Indy!
I think you mean the potential sale of First Indiana Plaza.
CorrND no está en línea  
Old May 9th, 2007, 05:16 PM   #328
IndiexInxIndy
Fuck The Bullshit!

Ohhh, well in that case i'm not worried. By the way, i think that is one of thee most UNDERRATED buildings in Indianapolis! It really is quite elegant & nicely complements The Market Tower & The Chase Tower in my oppinion. ALSO, i heard a rumor they may put condos in its upper floors... Is this true?
Old May 9th, 2007, 05:25 PM   #329
GOTHxSLOTHx (Chi,TC)
ChiWestBurbs, Traverse

haha erich, my gloomy roomie.
GOTHxSLOTHx (Chi,TC) no está en línea  
Old May 9th, 2007, 06:55 PM   #330
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Quote:
Ohhh, well in that case i'm not worried. By the way, i think that is one of thee most UNDERRATED buildings in Indianapolis! It really is quite elegant & nicely complements The Market Tower & The Chase Tower in my oppinion. ALSO, i heard a rumor they may put condos in its upper floors... Is this true?
About 6 years ago they were bouncing around the idea of having condos on the top 5 floors at Indiana Square. After the Teller's Cage closed and Earnst and Young left those floors were vacant for a while. Now Sommer Barnard is up there. The view from the 35th floor is awesome!
Old May 9th, 2007, 07:00 PM   #331
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Quote:
They still need to re-locate people who park in our North surface lot as it will be used for construction equipment. Also they haven't core drilled in the basement yet to determine if the structure can take on the extra weight of a new curtain wall.
Old May 9th, 2007, 07:02 PM   #332
IndiexInxIndy
Fuck The Bullshit!

Is It Just Me Orrr...

Does anybody else find it especially rad that the majority of the more modern skyscrapers in Indianapolis have pitched roofs. i.e. 1st Indiana Plaza, Chase Tower & Market Tower. As well as 300 N. Meridian & One America Tower which have slightly pitched roofs too! Sooo uhhh who else here thinks that is quite cooool?
Old May 9th, 2007, 09:51 PM   #333
arenn

Likes (Received): 132

Good news: National Guard Memorial moved from University Park. Or at least that's what it sounds like. This is a radically different design and proposal concept, appears to be scaled back as well. Stay tuned.

Plans revealed for National Guard memorial

By Patrick Dorsey
[email protected]

Plans were unveiled today for an Indiana National Guard memorial, which is expected be built later this year on the grounds of Washington Park East Cemetery, Funeral Center and Community Life Center.

The rendering shows monument which will include a Bill Wolfe sculpture of a National Guardsman holding a child, called "The Rescue." - Provided by Washington Park East Cemetery

The memorial, collaboration between Washington Park East and Flanner and Buchanan Funeral Centers, is expected to cost about $250,000 and will be funded by the two organizations.

"This is something that should have been done a long time ago," said Washington Park East's Bert Pettygrove, who came up with the idea in 2002 after Flanner and Buchanan organized a ceremony honoring National Guardsmen returning from Bosnia.

The reason for the memorial, organizers said, is not just to celebrate National Guardsmen of the past, but of the present and future as well.

It will be designed by Bret Dodd of RQAW Consulting Engineers and Architects. Dodd said the details of the design still are being tweaked, but the main feature of the monument will be a Bill Wolfe sculpture of a National Guardsman holding a child, called "The Rescue."

Though there are no plans to include the names of soldiers who died in combat, several glass panels that surround the sculpture may be purchased and customized by citizens.

Groundbreaking is scheduled for May 22, and a dedication is expected to take place on Veteran's Day.
Old May 10th, 2007, 02:44 AM   #334
IndiexInxIndy
Fuck The Bullshit!

I Think That's A Lovely Idea!

Even though i thought that smack dab middle of Military Park would have been MUCH better... For two reasons, A) It fits the memorial theme tradition of that area. B) It would bring much needed foot traffic to this underrated jewel. (Even though the Cultural Trail which should go due east of this on West Street should help some!
Old May 10th, 2007, 02:53 AM   #335
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Even though i thought that smack dab middle of Military Park would have been MUCH better... For two reasons, A) It fits the memorial theme tradition of that area. B) It would bring much needed foot traffic to this underrated jewel. (Even though the Cultural Trail which should go due east of this on West Street should help some!

I dont want to be rude er anything. Have you seen the design?! It would have totally defaced the historical area, and disrespected the very beautiful greenspace. It was benches, and concrete ribbons.
Old May 10th, 2007, 03:40 AM   #336
GOTHxSLOTHx (Chi,TC)
ChiWestBurbs, Traverse

so what sets indianapolis apart from chicago, what are some good things to look at and towards
Old May 10th, 2007, 03:50 AM   #337
IndiexInxIndy
Fuck The Bullshit!

Good Question "Goth/Sloth" or w/e your name is?

I'd Say The Top 3 Things Are...

1) Indianapolis has a much more managable size then Chi-Town, many people call it a BIG Small Town which i like as Indy has a "down-to-earth" quality that's seldom found in other cities of our size! We're also VERY cleeean.

2) We have a VERY European feel to our city. i.e. Monument Circle, Mass Ave. The Canal with its gondolas etc. etc. i like this aspect A LOT... Along with the numerous "hidden treasures" you can find in & around town!

3) Last but not least Indy has SOMETHING for EVERYONE! Sure it sounds cliche but it is ever so true. Whether your a sports or computer geek, business bleak or artsy chic there's something for you...

Hope this helps ya Goth Sloth, if i may call you that? For i dunno your real name.
Old May 10th, 2007, 10:36 AM   #338
cityfan

Likes (Received): 1

Condo developers want to say 'welcome home'

By Barrett Newkirk
Star correspondent

Two projects at the south end of the Lockerbie area are adding some variety to Kosene & Kosene's portfolio of Downtown properties.

The De Soto at 521 E. New York St. comprises 32 three- and four-story townhomes. One block south, where the Harmon Glass Co. building currently stands, is the future site of the Maxwell, a mix of retail, apartments and townhomes scheduled to open in late 2008.

Both properties will stand within blocks of three other Kosene developments, the Packard, the Clevelander and the Hudson, creating a concentrated Kosene neighborhood in Downtown's eastside.

The Downtown condo market started to take off about six years ago with Kosene's Clevelander and Ryland Homes' Firehouse Square, said Mark Kosene, Downtown sales manager for Kosene & Kosene.

The Clevelander was followed three years ago by the Packard at Ohio and East streets and then the Hudson at Ohio and New Jersey.
"One of the keys, no matter where we go, is that you have to have a sense of neighborhood and be in close proximity to a grocery store, to a bank, to a hardware store," Kosene said.

With its craftsman details, the De Soto will extend the look of historic Lockerbie, Kosene said. Its townhouses include balconies, rooftop gardens and luxury detailing inside. They range in size from 1,400 to 2,200 square feet and in price from $300,000 to $450,000. Seventeen units have been sold.
Matt Bowser, 31, a consultant who sometimes works from home, moved in January from a Downtown apartment to an 1,800-square-foot townhouse at the De Soto.

"We liked the architecture of the Lockerbie area, and this is a way to live in that architecture and environment, but also have a brand new place," he said.

Kosene plans to raze the glass company warehouse along Ohio in June to make way for its Maxwell development. The five-story building will include retail, five townhomes and 100 apartments ranging in size from 600 to 1,500 square feet.

The developers found there was a big demand for the small, less expensive units in its other properties.

"It was more the Hudson that drove the Maxwell concept," said Bill Thomas, vice president of marketing and sales at Kosene. "We wanted to hit the price point that seemed to be most popular in the market place."

The Maxwell allows Kosene to bring in more units priced between $140,000 and $389,000, which Mark Kosene said are missing Downtown.

"Part of that market is the first-time homeowner who wants to be Downtown," he said

Has anyone seen renderings of the Maxwell? I'm glad it includes a plan for retail, developers don't seem to be embracing steet level retail in that part of downtown.
cityfan no está en línea  
Old May 10th, 2007, 03:38 PM   #339
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityfan View Post
Has anyone seen renderings of the Maxwell? I'm glad it includes a plan for retail, developers don't seem to be embracing steet level retail in that part of downtown.
CorrND no está en línea  
Old May 10th, 2007, 04:46 PM   #340
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
I'd Say The Top 3 Things Are...

1) Indianapolis has a much more managable size then Chi-Town, many people call it a BIG Small Town which i like as Indy has a "down-to-earth" quality that's seldom found in other cities of our size! We're also VERY cleeean.

2) We have a VERY European feel to our city. i.e. Monument Circle, Mass Ave. The Canal with its gondolas etc. etc. i like this aspect A LOT... Along with the numerous "hidden treasures" you can find in & around town!

3) Last but not least Indy has SOMETHING for EVERYONE! Sure it sounds cliche but it is ever so true. Whether your a sports or computer geek, business bleak or artsy chic there's something for you...

Hope this helps ya Goth Sloth, if i may call you that? For i dunno your real name.
is there anytime your not positive?

Nicely put Indie!

Closed Thread