daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old May 10th, 2007, 04:50 PM   #341
IndiexInxIndy
Fuck The Bullshit!

Likes (Received): 0

HaHa!

Yeaaah i try to keep a positive outlook on life & Indy in general. AND i appreciate you noticing that UnionStation!

Sponsored Links
Old May 10th, 2007, 05:14 PM   #342
IndiexInxIndy
Fuck The Bullshit!

Far Far Away In "The Luke" Thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unvrsty07 View Post
LOL thanks mooch, I keep noticing all these simple brain farts/terrible simple spellingmistakes and it hit me, I have got to stop posting drunk I did not take a picture because I did not know I would be in the suite. It was the best view I have ever seen of downtown, absolutely incredible. The skyline easily made it look like a MAJOR city.
I couldn't help but smile after i read this!
Old May 10th, 2007, 05:34 PM   #343
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiexInxIndy View Post
Yeaaah i try to keep a positive outlook on life & Indy in general. AND i appreciate you noticing that UnionStation!
well, you just seem so postive,
how long have you lived in Indy?
Old May 10th, 2007, 06:15 PM   #344
IndiexInxIndy
Fuck The Bullshit!

HaHa arent youuu sweet! ;-)

But yea... I've been in the classy Circle City for around a decade & a half now... Or since i was like three. Contrary to popular belief i am but 18 yrs. old... <Underage drinkin never tasted so damn good! So how about your rad self? How long have ya been 'round here?
Old May 10th, 2007, 06:43 PM   #345
Unionstation13

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiexInxIndy View Post
But yea... I've been in the classy Circle City for around a decade & a half now... Or since i was like three. Contrary to popular belief i am but 18 yrs. old... <Underage drinkin never tasted so damn good! So how about your rad self? How long have ya been 'round here?
I moved here in the late 90's from LaFayette, but I was in Indianapolis alot, my dad worked in an insurance company in downtown.
How long has everyone here lived in Indianapolis?
Old May 10th, 2007, 06:56 PM   #346
billionbucks
Colts Fan

521 E. New York St

Where: 521 E. New York St.

• Opened: First residents arrived in January.

• Details: Three- and four-story townhomes range in size from 1,400 to 2,200 square feet. Priced from $300,000 to $450,000.

• Amenities: Balconies and rooftop gardens, arts-and-crafts-style construction, adjacent to historic Lockerbie neighborhood and within walking distance of Downtown offices, retail and cultural attractions.

• Developers: Kosene & Kosene, www.koseneandkosene.com.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...NESS/705100461
Old May 10th, 2007, 07:01 PM   #347
billionbucks
Colts Fan

Cool video about some of the artwork being installed at the new airport terminal:
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...EO01/305100004
Old May 10th, 2007, 07:02 PM   #348
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unionstation13 View Post
I moved here in the late 90's from LaFayette, but I was in Indianapolis alot, my dad worked in an insurance company in downtown.
I'll be brief, lived on Chicago's southside until 1985. Then joined the Air Force and went to college in Omaha until '92. Back to Chi-town for a year then in Indy ever since 1993. I really liked Omaha. Indy has been good so far. Not too big, and not too small.
Old May 10th, 2007, 07:27 PM   #349
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by billionbucks View Post
Cool video about some of the artwork being installed at the new airport terminal:
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...EO01/305100004
I posted a link from WTHR in airport thread too
Old May 10th, 2007, 08:00 PM   #350
benjaminooo
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
I've lived downtown for almost 3 years but I've been in the area for about 14 years (most of it was in the burbs with parents). I'm from Kokomo (not my fault!) originally. (I'm 26 today!)
benjaminooo no está en línea  
Old May 10th, 2007, 08:00 PM   #351
ablerock

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Native... 28 years.
ablerock no está en línea  
Old May 10th, 2007, 08:39 PM   #352
IndiexInxIndy
Fuck The Bullshit!

Old IBJ Article But Still Interesting Nonetheless

SPORTS: Remember who led Pacers out of the wilderness
Sat, May 05 - 2007

Bill Benner - [email protected]
Special to IBJ
I put my faith and trust in people who have proven themselves over the long haul.

Which is why I choose to be one—one of the few, I’m guessing—who believes Donnie Walsh and Larry Bird will pull the Indiana Pacers out of their tailspin.

As of this moment, the Pacers executives have no coach, no draft choices and, in the minds of many, no hope, particularly for the immediate future, with an emphasis on “immediate,” for we have little patience or tolerance for long rebuilding projects.

Then again, with regard to the Pacers, we haven’t had a lot of practice at rebuilding. It has been a generation since things seemed so bleak. The Pacers of the early 1980s were beset by absentee ownership and still caught in the financial throes of the one-sided NBA-ABA merger. Game time at Market Square Arena meant two things: lights on and curtains down to hide the empty seats.

Into the ownership breach stepped the Brothers Simon, who provided the financial resources and then the wisdom to turn control of the day-to-day operations of the franchise over to Walsh.

In time—time—Walsh assembled the pieces to make the Pacers first competitive, then a contender, and not just for a season or two.

It does bear repeating: The Pacers made the playoffs 16 times in a 17-year span under Walsh’s guidance. By any measure, that’s phenomenal. They were among the NBA’s final four five times in a seven-year stretch and six times over 11 years.

Only now, many consider Walsh an idiot. How quickly we forget in this what-haveyou-done-for-me-today? world.

I first met Bird in 1974 when he was fresh out of Springs Valley High School and a member of the Indiana All-Stars for their series with Kentucky. Indiana’s coach that year was Kirby Overman of New Albany, who gave Bird scant playing time in the twogame series. I remember a frustrated Bird leaving Hinkle Fieldhouse in near tears following the second game, vowing to prove to the world that he could play with anyone at any level.

We all know how that turned out.

I also recall the skepticism when he became coach of the Pacers in 1997. The following May, he was being saluted as NBA coach of the year. Two years later, he had the Pacers in their only NBA Finals.

Now, as the man clearly in charge of the business of Pacers basketball, Bird faces the greatest challenge of his professional career.

He has to come from behind.

Of course, we can all pinpoint the moment the Pacers’ fortunes made that 180-degree turn: that November night in 2004 against the Pistons, when all hell broke loose. Who really knows how it might all have played out had that beer not bounced off Ron Artest’s noggin.

The reality is that, 2-1/2 years later, Walsh and Bird are piñatas swinging from the ceiling, taking a whack from just about everyone. Hey, they are big boys drawing big paychecks. And, yes, they’ve made some mistakes, probably none more basic than trusting professional athletes to behave as professionals. Imagine.

I would surmise that level of trust also extended to now-ex-coach Rick Carlisle, who somehow has been absolved of responsibility for what the Pacers have become. I like Carlisle, and I’m certain he will land on his coaching feet in another town, but to lay all the Pacers’ shortcomings on Walsh and Bird falls at least one-third short of the mark.

Carlisle, after all, was the micro-manager on the court who let the inmates run the asylum off the floor. No matter the hand he was dealt, Carlisle didn’t distinguish himself when it came time to play the cards. By comparison, he made the Indianapolis Colts’ Tony Dungy look like a hard guy. As a result, the Pacers evolved into a soft team—marshmallows mentally and physically.

I heard over and over again—probably said it myself a couple of times—that Bird needed to be the disciplinarian. And I’m certain he was, especially in the wake of the offcourt incidents. But to do so inside the locker room would have meant usurping the role of Carlisle who, in this case, was not just Bird’s employee, but also his friend and the man he’d given opportunity to, both long ago as a Boston Celtics teammate, as his assistant coach with the Pacers, and finally as his hand-picked head coach.

As for Carlisle’s successor, I have neither clue nor recommendation if Reggie Miller isn’t interested. But I do believe Bird and Walsh will find the right guy. For what they’ve meant to the Pacers’ past, I—for one—trust them with the team’s future. •

(It would be a crying shame if our beloved Pacers, who play in arguably the BEST arena in the WORLD, cant get their asses together!)
Old May 10th, 2007, 09:04 PM   #353
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

^ Good article. Not exactly Indy development news but Indiana Pacer development news nonetheless.
Old May 10th, 2007, 09:31 PM   #354
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 463

Quote:
I moved here in 2002 to go to grad school at IUPUI and then bucked the brain-drain trend and stuck around after graduation. I haven't been here long, but I've already experienced the varied neighborhood lives of Herron-Morton, Chatham Arch, Ransom Place and the Canal. These places are all within about a mile radius and they're SO different. This town still fascinates me.
CorrND no está en línea  
Old May 10th, 2007, 10:17 PM   #355
unvrsty07

Likes (Received): 116

I moved here from chattanooga/nashville tennessee for undergrad at IUPUI. Been here 2 1/2 years. I too plan to refute the "brain drain" claim in indy like CorrND. I will be starting law school soon and after school I plan on buying a condo downtown.

Last edited by unvrsty07; May 11th, 2007 at 07:23 AM.
unvrsty07 no está en línea  
Old May 10th, 2007, 10:18 PM   #356
Unionstation13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrND View Post
I moved here in 2002 to go to grad school at IUPUI and then bucked the brain-drain trend and stuck around after graduation. I haven't been here long, but I've already experienced the varied neighborhood lives of Herron-Morton, Chatham Arch, Ransom Place and the Canal. These places are all within about a mile radius and they're SO different. This town still fascinates me.
Yah, I mainly moved here for a job I got, and shortly moved into an old victorian house turned into three apartments.
But, the neighborhoods ARE so different(like corrnd said) fountian square and Mass ave, are so different, and the Old Northside and St.Jopeph seem different(and they are only seperated by a highway!) but my favorite neighborhood(aside from Lockerbie) is woodruff, its amazing, and the victorian hoods around it have so much peotential.
oh dear, it seems I have ranted again..
Old May 11th, 2007, 07:14 AM   #357
billionbucks
Colts Fan

Been here 20 years.
Old May 11th, 2007, 03:50 PM   #358
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

I think I have mentioned, but I am from Anderson, so born and raise in the metro. I am (gasp) going to be 32 in July. I moved to Indy in 1996 to finish school at IUPUI after 3 years in Bloomington.
Old May 11th, 2007, 03:55 PM   #359
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

We carry copies of Urban Times newspaper where I work. Very nice publication for downtown information. Here is their website...

http://brookspublications.com/
Old May 11th, 2007, 05:24 PM   #360
GOTHxSLOTHx (Chi,TC)
ChiWestBurbs, Traverse

haha i find it funny "indiexinxindy" (erich) since you're with me all the time and we're roommates at boarding school in rural northern michigan

Closed Thread