daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old May 11th, 2007, 06:11 PM   #361
Indywatch

Likes (Received): 0

Born and raised here in Indy on the east side. Went to Warren Central. I own a small manufacturing company that makes jet engine parts for G.E. and Roll's Royce (here in Speedway)... so I have NO intention on leaving this city. For 44 years Indy has been my home. I have seen it change drastically from the Indian"NO"place it was once referred to in the 70's to the thriving, metropolis it now is. I have traveled all over this country and yes there are great things about other cities, but all in all for what it is, you can't beat INDY! It's clean, growing, the cost of living is relatively cheap and its becoming much more liberal and ethnically diverse (a good thing) than it once was. While in the conservative state of Indiana, Indy is becoming much more progressive. While liberal myself, I happen to believe in a bit of quiet conservativism.... I know, an oximoron... but I'm not about to get into a political debate here. Indy has the best of both worlds. I am amazed at how many friends I have had visit me, that have never been to Indy and have had previous misconceptions about what a hick town they would find when they get here. ALL of them have said what a beautiful city Indy is, much more happening then they imagined. Perhaps if I were to have a complaint with Indy I suppose it would be the topography. Basically it's a big city smack dab in the middle of a corn field. I wish we had more interesting geographical formations (mountains, bigger rivers, lakes) here in Indiana. But, we dont. Home is where the heart is and my heart is here in Indy in these exciting times.
Indywatch no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old May 11th, 2007, 06:21 PM   #362
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indywatch View Post
Born and raised here in Indy on the east side. Went to Warren Central. I own a small manufacturing company that makes jet engine parts for G.E. and Roll's Royce (here in Speedway)... so I have NO intention on leaving this city. For 44 years Indy has been my home. I have seen it change drastically from the Indian"NO"place it was once referred to in the 70's to the thriving, metropolis it now is. I have traveled all over this country and yes there are great things about other cities, but all in all for what it is, you can't beat INDY! It's clean, growing, the cost of living is relatively cheap and its becoming much more liberal and ethnically diverse (a good thing) than it once was. While in the conservative state of Indiana, Indy is becoming much more progressive. While liberal myself, I happen to believe in a bit of quiet conservativism.... I know, an oximoron... but I'm not about to get into a political debate here. Indy has the best of both worlds. I am amazed at how many friends I have had visit me, that have never been to Indy and have had previous misconceptions about what a hick town they would find when they get here. ALL of them have said what a beautiful city Indy is, much more happening then they imagined. Perhaps if I were to have a complaint with Indy I suppose it would be the topography. Basically it's a big city smack dab in the middle of a corn field. I wish we had more interesting geographical formations (mountains, bigger rivers, lakes) here in Indiana. But, we dont. Home is where the heart is and my heart is here in Indy in these exciting times.
I know, it went from red, to blue.
Indianapolis, though not the most amazing topograhpy, has its goods, whiteriver is a nice little river, and since alot of the city is forested, thats good aswell, the fall creek area is attractive.
You reminded me of when my freind from Seattle came here, she told me on the way "Is there anything to do in Indianapolis? From what I have heard, it isnt exactly pretty, mostly lots." I turned and laughed at her and said "youll like it." when we got there, we took many walks around the old part of Indy, by the end of the day, she liked the city, and called it "the cute cottage city"'.
but thought the chase tower looked like a dick.
Old May 11th, 2007, 06:24 PM   #363
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

Likes (Received): 5

I was born in Bloomington. Moved here as a kid in 1991, and aside from college I've stayed ever since. Can't honestly say I'll continue to stay once I receive my graduate degree, though.
NaptownBoy no está en línea  
Old May 11th, 2007, 06:26 PM   #364
Indywatch

If I can figure out how to post pictures on this sight I can show a nice perspective of how much this city has changed from when I was a kid growing up on the east side, till now.
Old May 11th, 2007, 06:30 PM   #365
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
If I can figure out how to post pictures on this sight I can show a nice perspective of how much this city has changed from when I was a kid growing up on the east side, till now.
well, when you post pictures, you have to have them on a website that hosts them(photobucket, fhpost, etc,) or a link to the photo.
Then, on the little bar above the message while your writing, there should be a white smiley face, no right of that are two arrow thingies, and directly above the right one, is a little box with a yellow background and little mountians(I think..) now a little window will pop up when you click on it, then copy and pas the url into it, then press OK, the compy will do the rest.
Old May 11th, 2007, 07:06 PM   #366
Indywatch

I remember growing up in Indy when downtown looked like this in 1969

here's a similar shot today 2007 (38 years later)

This city has grown up quite a bit.
Old May 11th, 2007, 07:48 PM   #367
indyfiend
INDYFIEND

I can't believe Riley Towers were built so many years before the downtown revival. Does anyone remember if there was any reaction from the public? I would've thought they were crazy.
indyfiend no está en línea  
Old May 11th, 2007, 07:52 PM   #368
Indywatch

I would love to see a highrise of some sort go in the street level parking behind the Barnes and Thornburg building. While I love the front side of that classic old building, the rear with it's yellow brick and duct work leaves a bit to be desired. A high rise on that location would block the "ugly" side of that building, add more street appeal to Washington St., our major east / west thoroughfare, and add more high rise density to the south side of the circle (such as Penn Tower and the JW) making our downtown look much larger. An elegant 30 - 40 story building at that sight would look amazing. At one time any high rise buildings around the circle weren't allowed to cast a shadow on the monument. I'm not sure if that still is true.

Any thoughts?
Old May 11th, 2007, 08:14 PM   #369
Indywatch

Here's that earlier western shot with possible JW Marriott (if tall) and Kosene Project (if selected) and my fantasy building behind Barnes and Thornburg. Could change skyline drastically. Don't have enough of the southside to put in the Penn Tower

Old May 11th, 2007, 08:22 PM   #370
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

I just mentioned that lot a few pages back. It really breaks-up the great street presence that has been revived along Washington Street.
Old May 11th, 2007, 08:49 PM   #371
cityfan

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilson758 View Post
I just mentioned that lot a few pages back. It really breaks-up the great street presence that has been revived along Washington Street.
I've always thought a freestanding department store would be good for that spot, something high end like a Nieman Marcus. I think it would fit in nicely with the shopping in that area and would be successful with both the wealth moving in downtown and the increasing number of tourists. That's one thing downtown needs: large retail that isn't confined to the mall.
cityfan no está en línea  
Old May 11th, 2007, 08:55 PM   #372
Indywatch

OKAY SORRY! One last post. Found a more southern exposer of downtown and drew in possible Penn Tower too. I have nothing to go on height wise other than speculation on all towers. Again the one behind Barnes and Thornburg is strictly MY FANTASY BUILDING!

I'm done.

Last edited by Indywatch; May 11th, 2007 at 09:11 PM.
Old May 11th, 2007, 09:07 PM   #373
unvrsty07

Likes (Received): 116

Thanks for the post and time Indywatch. The great thing about these towers are there amazingly perfect location and height to do wonders for the skyline. The Market Square project will expand the skyline east nicely (I have fallen in love with the design of the kosene proposal btw, If in any other city you guys would be saying thats a good design, but since its in little ole indy it looks nostalgic, **** that!!) . On the exact opposite side JW Marriot (sp?) will expand it west. Then Penn Tower will expand it south!! I think Penn Tower will do more for the skyline than any other proposal. So, maybe not a lot of high-rises proposed, but excellent mid-rise infill u/c and strategically located towers that will do wonders for the skyline.
unvrsty07 no está en línea  
Old May 11th, 2007, 09:17 PM   #374
Powerslave

Quote:
At one time any high rise buildings around the circle weren't allowed to cast a shadow on the monument. I'm not sure if that still is true.
I believe that is still true. I remember reading up about the Sky Exposure plane ordinance a few years ago, and I think it applied to ALL buildings in the city core, not just the ones on the circle. They could be of inifinite height so long as they were designed to not cast a shadow on the circle.

Since everyone else was posting about this, I will as well: I'm not a native born Hoosier. We moved from NY (state) to Indy when I was six. I grew up here, went to college in West Lafayette and then took a job out of college in Fort Wayne. I lived in Fort Wayne for six years before moving back down here. After living in Carmel briefly, I am now back in the city that I love.
Powerslave no está en línea  
Old May 11th, 2007, 09:19 PM   #375
IndiexInxIndy
Fuck The Bullshit!

Here's A Few Things Darlings...

A) Is it me or will the J Wub stick out like a sore thumb? As the ole' sayin' goes. I was JW< no pun intended.

B) As ironic as this sounds... I actually think the new Conrad Hotel & the Simon HQ add a minimal yet complementery effect on the skyline! (They aint that bad after all)

C) Our skyline really looks rather rad... If i may say so myself?
Old May 11th, 2007, 10:27 PM   #376
cityfan

Likes (Received): 1

Isn't the convention hotel supposed to be several hotels? I thought I read there would be at least one high rise and several mid rises to comprise a hotel campus. Is that correct?
cityfan no está en línea  
Old May 12th, 2007, 12:03 AM   #377
hoosier

Likes (Received): 53

I am from Bloomington. I have lived there all my life but I moved to Indianapolis on Monday, the NE side of the city since I am interning in Lawrence. What struck me the most is how BIG geographically the city is. It just goes ON and ON.

I hope to land an accounting job in Indy this fall and move up there permanently in 2008.
hoosier no está en línea  
Old May 12th, 2007, 12:04 AM   #378
hoosier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityfan View Post
Isn't the convention hotel supposed to be several hotels? I thought I read there would be at least one high rise and several mid rises to comprise a hotel campus. Is that correct?
That's what I have heard.
hoosier no está en línea  
Old May 12th, 2007, 12:08 AM   #379
hoosier

I have been driving around a lot of Indy over the past few days and I compiled a sort of wish-list for infrastructure improvements to city roads I would like to see carried out:

1) A Washington Street revitalization project similar to the one recently completed on 38th. This would entail pavement resurfacing, addition of bike lanes and bus pull over lanes at major stops. This would do wonders to revitalize the inner city, which is in a state of neglect.

2) Widen and resurface Bluff Road/West Street from I-70 to Southport Road.

3) Conver Ind-37 to a limited access highway from I-465 to SR 144.

4) Resurface Michigan and New York streets through IUPUI and downtown.
hoosier no está en línea  
Old May 12th, 2007, 12:20 AM   #380
billionbucks
Colts Fan

Quote:
I remember growing up in Indy when downtown looked like this in 1969
What is that building behind the State Capital? An old Government center or something?

Closed Thread