daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old April 23rd, 2007, 06:31 PM   #21
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

I think a trolley system today would be pretty good for local neighborhoods(with the lightrail). Dident alot of the auto companies buy out the trolleys?
The trolleys brought alot of life to downtown. It would be cool to have some today..

Sponsored Links
Old April 23rd, 2007, 07:26 PM   #22
hoosier

Likes (Received): 53

Here is a link to some aerial and ground-level photographs taken by KCGridlock and posted on SSP. They were taken in March 2007.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=127208

I find it angering that most KCers have a pathological hatred for anything Indianapolis. I don 't know if it is jealousy or a supposed competition between Indy and KC that drive some of the KC boosters to attack Indy.

You will notice on the second page that I tried to stick up for Indianapolis.
hoosier no está en línea  
Old April 23rd, 2007, 07:38 PM   #23
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
Here is a link to some aerial and ground-level photographs taken by KCGridlock and posted on SSP. They were taken in March 2007.

I find it angering that most KCers have a pathological hatred for anything Indianapolis. I don 't know if it is jealousy or a supposed competition between Indy and KC that drive some of the KC boosters to attack Indy.

Pure envy. There is absolutely NO reason someone would want to bash a city THAT freakin' much. You cant justify that.

Also, if you view their post history, you can see that they spend the vast majority of their time on these sites praising KC and bashing [insert city here], usually a similar city like Indy, Saint Louis or Minneapolis.

I'll lurk over there on occasion, but I won't post anything. It always makes for a good laugh reading some of their inane comments though.

EDIT: I see Michael has re-registered on SSP for the 27th time, praising KC to the high heavens. Please God don't let him make his way over here.
NaptownBoy no está en línea  
Old April 23rd, 2007, 07:40 PM   #24
Unionstation13

Quote:

I have a theory that it is jelousy.
Especially when it comes to Indianapolis lacking an Urban feel. Indianapolis is like any other midwestern city. But jelousy usually clouds peoples views of the city. Alot of midwestern cities cant say they are gaining population, or say their downtown is booming with life.
And a plus, our monuments, avenus, and circle just make us look so damn good.
Its hard not to be jelouse.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 07:42 PM   #25
k2h

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjfjapan View Post

I find it disappointing so many of you consider this to be appropriate design for downtown, but it also helps me to understand why the mentality that keeps Indianapolis from pushing the architectural envelope. This design represents the antithesis of anything urban and progressive.

As a rule of thumb, when i see a new design for downtown, i ask myself if the same design would be considered appropriate for Carmel. In this case, the answer is most certainly, yes.

As i have said before, re-creating the suburbs in downtown is detrimental to efforts to create a more urban built environment.
k2h no está en línea  
Old April 23rd, 2007, 07:54 PM   #26
k2h

Quote:

Some of the best shots i have ever seen of Indianapolis!
k2h no está en línea  
Old April 23rd, 2007, 08:53 PM   #27
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 463

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2h View Post
I find it disappointing so many of you consider this to be appropriate design for downtown, but it also helps me to understand why the mentality that keeps Indianapolis from pushing the architectural envelope. This design represents the antithesis of anything urban and progressive.

As a rule of thumb, when i see a new design for downtown, i ask myself if the same design would be considered appropriate for Carmel. In this case, the answer is most certainly, yes.

As i have said before, re-creating the suburbs in downtown is detrimental to efforts to create a more urban built environment.
I don't see what's so different about these two designs:

Or put another way: if we accept that the Hammond Block Building IS appropriate for downtown, what makes the Broadbent Building inappropriate?

Just for fun, here's a pre-1980-restoration shot of the Hammond Block Building:

CorrND no está en línea  
Old April 23rd, 2007, 09:00 PM   #28
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Yesterday, I drove past the Walgreen's construction on Meridian near 16th and -- THANK GOD! -- they're constructing the building right up to the Meridian St. sidewalk. I'm still not happy that they didn't place the building right at the corner of the intersection, but at least there's the opportunity to fix that with another building in the future. Having the Walgreen's set back from Meridian would have been a major error.
CorrND no está en línea  
Old April 23rd, 2007, 09:09 PM   #29
Unionstation13

hey corrND? Anywhere I can find pics of the walgreens? I am sure I have biked past it, but I never take the time to look at anything really.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 09:18 PM   #30
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Not that I know of.
CorrND no está en línea  
Old April 23rd, 2007, 10:12 PM   #31
k2h

[QUOTE=CorrND;12801458]I don't see what's so different about these two designs:

Or put another way: if we accept that the Hammond Block Building IS appropriate for downtown, what makes the Broadbent Building inappropriate?

_________________________________________________________________________________

The difference is the buildings you reference are historical structures. These structures add value to the built environment in their own respects and provide insight into the the rich history/culture of Indianapolis.

While i value these older structures and can certainly appreciate the design of the era, i can also appreciate that we are now in the 21st century and are able to design unique and interesting structures that reflect our modern world. I don't understand the desire to re-create a design exemplifying a design typology of days gone by.

Architecture/design speaks volumes about the culture/mindsets of the people. I would love to see the built environment in Indianapolis speak about our bright future, rather than continue to display our obsessive nostalgia for the past.
k2h no está en línea  
Old April 23rd, 2007, 11:07 PM   #32
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjfjapan View Post
back on topic, this is really hideous. like it belongs in Dothan, AL, or Jonesboro , AR. Is this really going to sit on one of the best corners in the city?

You see what that bad boy used to look like? I like it.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 11:12 PM   #33
ablerock

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrND View Post
I don't see what's so different about these two designs:
You've got to be kidding.

Consider the following visual aid...

equalsimage hosted on flickr

It's tacky.

It's schizophrenic.

It's not inappropriate, it's bad.

The windows are horrible, the arches are horrible, the atrium is horrible, the awnings are horrible, the half-balcony is horrible, and the drive-through is especially, undeniably, and will forever be, horrible.
ablerock no está en línea  
Old April 23rd, 2007, 11:28 PM   #34
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Likes (Received): 14

The bank drive-thru is a bad idea. Regions on Delaware & North or 5/3 Bank at Ohio & East are better examples.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 11:37 PM   #35
Indyman

Likes (Received): 4

You know, after reading what those guys said about Indy on SSP Im curious to see their city. I wonder if it is everyithing they talk it up to be. Im heading there this summer for the National Convention of Student Councils. Alot of us are disappointed after last year's convention in Philly and New York but it should be interesting nonetheless.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 11:51 PM   #36
hoosier

ablerock, I am glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read your last post.

That was one of the funniest posts I have ever read.

I find myself vacillating between liking and not liking the proposal. The drive-thru is what makes me sour on this project, not to mention that an opportunity for some high-rise residential development in the city core was missed.
hoosier no está en línea  
Old April 23rd, 2007, 11:54 PM   #37
hoosier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyman View Post
You know, after reading what those guys said about Indy on SSP Im curious to see their city. I wonder if it is everyithing they talk it up to be. Im heading there this summer for the National Convention of Student Councils. Alot of us are disappointed after last year's convention in Philly and New York but it should be interesting nonetheless.
I'd like to get your take on Kansas City and how it does or does not measure up against Indianapolis.

One obvious benefit Indy has over KC is that its commercial core is not hemmed in and strangled by freeways.
hoosier no está en línea  
Old April 24th, 2007, 12:42 AM   #38
altfelix

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablerock View Post
You've got to be kidding.

Consider the following visual aid...

It's tacky.

It's schizophrenic.

It's not inappropriate, it's bad.

The windows are horrible, the arches are horrible, the atrium is horrible, the awnings are horrible, the half-balcony is horrible, and the drive-through is especially, undeniably, and will forever be, horrible.
All very, very true. Glasses don't work when you decide to go with something off the shoulder.

Last edited by altfelix; April 24th, 2007 at 12:51 AM.
altfelix no está en línea  
Old April 24th, 2007, 12:49 AM   #39
benjaminooo
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 32

the photo comparison is hilarious and on point. still, i'd take a 4 story mcdonalds over the zipper building.
benjaminooo no está en línea  
Old April 24th, 2007, 01:01 AM   #40
eweezerinc
President of Catan

Likes (Received): 11

I think the main point here is why are so many people saying "OH WELL better than before!"
That could have been a really cool, flat-iron type highrise, and you ended up with an ugly ass bank, complete with drive-through and.. oh.. wait.. A CLOCK!
Its little things like that clock that make me angry. Two-bit architects add things like that for "character" and "charm" when all they probly did was lift up the arch and paste in a clock.

Its not terrible as a whole, it will look new, and when you are driving past, you won't say "OH GROSS! Look at that!" like people do about what it is replacing, but gosh... You have to set standards SOMEWHERE. But in all honesty, I'd criticize it if it were proposed in Louisville, but I'd still want it built. Its tricky because we want our downtpwns to get better, and QUICKLY, but do we sacrifice and cut corners? Or should we be patient for the right proposals to come along? Can we truely even be picky? Or could the DT building boom die out in 10 years, leaving us wishing we'd built the ugly bank with a drive through..?

Last edited by eweezerinc; April 24th, 2007 at 01:49 AM.
eweezerinc no está en línea  

Closed Thread