daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old May 14th, 2007, 07:17 PM   #401
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 463

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyBob View Post
From what I heard, this development will not have any on-site parking (perhaps a few for staff, etc.). They were looking to lease the Scottish Rite parking lot on Meridian St. From my perspective, this is not good development for downtown. The development should include parking. This makes it almost impossible to retrofit the building later for market-rate housing. The last thing we need downtown is continued parking along Meridian St. The Scottish Rite should sell that parking lot for development - they are probably afraid that any new development might detract from the Cathedral. So the development would have to better than what we have been seeing.
Seriously? 600 units and no parking? Even if they HAD leased the Scottish Rite parking lot, there isn't remotely enough parking there.
CorrND no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old May 14th, 2007, 07:50 PM   #402
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrND View Post
moochie -- here's Cory's response:

Cory Says:
May 14th, 2007 at 8:52 am
CorrND, yes. There’s a public hearing scheduled for 1 p.m. Wednesday on the agreement between the developers and the city.

According to indygov.org, this is the only hearing at 1pm on Wednesday, so this must be it:

Title: MDC Meeting
Date: Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Time: 1 p.m. - 4 p.m.
Calendar: Metropolitan Development Commission

Complete Description:
There will be a Public Hearing for the Metropolitan Development Commission in the Public Assembly Room.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2nd Floor of the City-County Building
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

200 E. Washington St.

OK, let me try to clarify this. First of all, I am not "Cory" who mentioned this hearing, incase some casual readers see this.

This public hearing will not really be a full-blown hearing on this project, rather, I suspect (based off of having worked for the MDC) that this will just be the passing of a resolution with regards to the tax abatements and any other public assistence for the project. The site already is zoned for a hotel and is developed as such. I would venture to guess that it is too far from the core to be within the sky plane (where a variance for height could be a possibility, so I doubt that this is a hearing on the design or look of the project. If it is just teh passing of a resolution for tax purposes, then it will be very quick. Basically, ALL resolutions are read at the beginning of the hearing and then once they have completed the reading, the MDC will ask if anyone wants to speak concerning any of them. If no one speaks, BAM..approved.

This is just a guess though.
Old May 14th, 2007, 08:08 PM   #403
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
From what I heard, this development will not have any on-site parking (perhaps a few for staff, etc.). They were looking to lease the Scottish Rite parking lot on Meridian St. From my perspective, this is not good development for downtown. The development should include parking. This makes it almost impossible to retrofit the building later for market-rate housing. The last thing we need downtown is continued parking along Meridian St. The Scottish Rite should sell that parking lot for development - they are probably afraid that any new development might detract from the Cathedral. So the development would have to better than what we have been seeing.

Just back from Cyprus to Heidleberg Germany. Even in the capital of Nicosia, almost every new development has parking included in the building. Cyürus has only 700,000 people - Nicosia area around 300,000. It should be a downtown zoning requirement. Almost everywhere I have been, the parking has been made to fit in with the urban area, not destroy it.
Thanks for the info Bob! I know that there has been a lot of people complaining about the lack of low-income to affordable housing downtown, and rightfully so. I bet that the City is getting pressured and therefore, the lack of parking is moot considering that many who this is for may not have cars. Besides, there is absolutely NO SHORTAGE of surface lots in and around that site.
Old May 14th, 2007, 10:17 PM   #404
IndyBob

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Seriously? 600 units and no parking? Even if they HAD leased the Scottish Rite parking lot, there isn't remotely enough parking there.
Since this is student housing, the developer is banking on students walking and taking public transit! Not sure if they are planning to provide a shuttle.
IndyBob no está en línea  
Old May 14th, 2007, 10:20 PM   #405
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Since this is student housing, the developer is banking on students walking and taking public transit! Not sure if they are planning to provide a shuttle.
They will do a shuttle similar to what Riley Towers uses I assume.
Old May 14th, 2007, 10:40 PM   #406
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Quote:
Wow, that aint gonna happen! I live at Gardens of Canal Court, which is much closer to campus, and only a handful of people even walk from there. Likewise, only a handful of people use the Riley Towers shuttle. Plus, other than a bar and a liquor store that I'm sure will do gangbusters business, there are no services around there (that's a vacuum likely to be filled, I suppose).

I appreciate the thinking behind this, but the developers simply aren't being realistic.
CorrND no está en línea  
Old May 14th, 2007, 11:09 PM   #407
benjaminooo
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Wow, that aint gonna happen! I live at Gardens of Canal Court, which is much closer to campus, and only a handful of people even walk from there. Likewise, only a handful of people use the Riley Towers shuttle. Plus, other than a bar and a liquor store that I'm sure will do gangbusters business, there are no services around there (that's a vacuum likely to be filled, I suppose).

I appreciate the thinking behind this, but the developers simply aren't being realistic.
I would feel like such an ******* if I drove such a short distance.. Obviously the development will need some sort of parking, hopefully a garage will be considered. Personally I don't see anything wrong with sucking it up renting a spot in a garage nearby or heaven forbid park on the street. To me that's just part of living in the core of a city.

I can see a day where you pull into your own personal garage and as soon as you step out of your car you immediately are in your living room on your couch.. Walking is such a hassle, plus it's for poor people, jeez.
benjaminooo no está en línea  
Old May 15th, 2007, 12:08 AM   #408
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminooo View Post
I would feel like such an ******* if I drove such a short distance.. Obviously the development will need some sort of parking, hopefully a garage will be considered. Personally I don't see anything wrong with sucking it up renting a spot in a garage nearby or heaven forbid park on the street. To me that's just part of living in the core of a city.

I can see a day where you pull into your own personal garage and as soon as you step out of your car you immediately are in your living room on your couch.. Walking is such a hassle, plus it's for poor people, jeez.
Hehehehe, no doubt about it, there are a lot of *******s around here!
CorrND no está en línea  
Old May 15th, 2007, 12:40 AM   #409
cityfan

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilson758 View Post
OK, let me try to clarify this. First of all, I am not "Cory" who mentioned this hearing, incase some casual readers see this.

This public hearing will not really be a full-blown hearing on this project, rather, I suspect (based off of having worked for the MDC) that this will just be the passing of a resolution with regards to the tax abatements and any other public assistence for the project. The site already is zoned for a hotel and is developed as such. I would venture to guess that it is too far from the core to be within the sky plane (where a variance for height could be a possibility, so I doubt that this is a hearing on the design or look of the project. If it is just teh passing of a resolution for tax purposes, then it will be very quick. Basically, ALL resolutions are read at the beginning of the hearing and then once they have completed the reading, the MDC will ask if anyone wants to speak concerning any of them. If no one speaks, BAM..approved.

This is just a guess though.
Sounds correct. From IBJ:

City seeks $66M TIF for Marriott convention hotel

Cory Schouten - [email protected]

City officials are seeking approval this week for $66 million in tax-increment financing to help pay for a 1,000-room JW Marriott convention hotel along East Washington Street.
The Metropolitan Development Commission is slated to consider the plan, which would create a new economic development area, on Wednesday. The City-County Council could consider the move next week.

Barbara Lawrence, executive director of the Indianapolis Public Improvement Bond Bank, said the $66-million figure does not mean developers will be getting more than the $48.5 million they were promised to help pay for the $250-million project. She said the higher number reflects a guaranteed maximum amount covering additional transaction costs and possibly a debt-service reserve account.

A campus of hotels including JW Marriott would be built on land that's now home to a 235-room Courtyard by Marriott and a TGI Friday's across from Victory Field. The $66-million will be borrowed against future tax gains realized after the property is redeveloped.

The developers, a partnership of Merrillville-based White Lodging Services Corp. and Indianapolis-based REI Real Estate Services, are still hammering out a development agreement with the Bond Bank. But that does not require approval from the City-County Council, Lawrence said.
cityfan no está en línea  
Old May 15th, 2007, 03:27 AM   #410
IndiexInxIndy
Fuck The Bullshit!

A CAMPUS of Marriott Hotels?

A campus of hotels including JW Marriott would be built on land that's now home to a 235-room Courtyard by Marriott and a TGI Friday's across from Victory Field!

Did i just hear that right? God forbid another "campus" type environment be built in DT Indy! I do have a sliver of hope for two reasons tho... 1) If it's taking THIS long that means somethings either reeeally wrong OR something's gonna make us sh!t our pants (but in a good way) 2) This will do WONDERS for the West Street side of Indy. AND it shall allow the White River to open up & become closer to the core. Am i riiight?
Old May 15th, 2007, 05:19 AM   #411
CorrND
Moderator Chris

From Property Lines, a new 305 condo project called Renaissance Bay:

"A $150-million luxury condo development known as Renaissance Bay will replace an apartment complex along Keystone Avenue at 78th Street. All that remains of The Landings apartments are massive piles of concrete and bricks. Construction is set to begin in July on the replacement, a development of 305 condos ranging in price from $350,000 to $800,000. The project, by Sun Shiel Properties LLC, will feature buildings as tall as five stories inspired by the architecture of South Carolina. The structures will surround a large lake that connects to the White River."

Some pics I ripped from their webpage:

View from Keystone

Entry off 78th St.

Streetscape

View from the Lake

Overview

Last edited by CorrND; May 15th, 2007 at 05:26 AM.
CorrND no está en línea  
Old May 15th, 2007, 06:00 AM   #412
unvrsty07

Likes (Received): 116

Not a bad little project. Ican not really picture this area in my head. Is it pretty underdeveloped in this area?

I really hope that the light rail line in to hamilton and marion counties goes up and down keystone. It is such a perfect corridor for rail, imo.
unvrsty07 no está en línea  
Old May 15th, 2007, 06:25 AM   #413
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by unvrsty07 View Post
Not a bad little project. Ican not really picture this area in my head. Is it pretty underdeveloped in this area?

I really hope that the light rail line in to hamilton and marion counties goes up and down keystone. It is such a perfect corridor for rail, imo.
This development is part of that strange area between Broad Ripple and Castleton where the White River starts to meander all over the place and there are flood-plane or (I'm guessing) man-made lakes all over the place. Maybe someone else knows more about the nature of those lakes, but the lake that this project is built around does appear to be natural. Here's what it looked like before they demolished The Landing apartment complex:

I'm sure some of you will have something to say about the design, but all of that aside, this new development is going to be MUCH, MUCH more dense.

edit: I know these are different angles, but here's the overview again for comparison:

CorrND no está en línea  
Old May 15th, 2007, 06:41 AM   #414
benjaminooo
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:

wow what a crappy wonderland.
benjaminooo no está en línea  
Old May 15th, 2007, 07:44 AM   #415
billionbucks
Colts Fan

Quote:
Agreed. This is something a college town or retirement village would need...
Old May 15th, 2007, 09:27 AM   #416
cjfjapan

Likes (Received): 131

Quote:
Originally Posted by billionbucks View Post
Agreed. This is something a college town or retirement village would need...
It is craptacular. Why the need to evoke South Carolina along the six-lane Key-monster? Lazy designers. Wonder if any Fashion Maulers will oppose this one, as they did the Hole Fuds?
cjfjapan está en línea ahora  
Old May 15th, 2007, 11:02 AM   #417
cityfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjfjapan View Post
It is craptacular. Why the need to evoke South Carolina along the six-lane Key-monster? Lazy designers. Wonder if any Fashion Maulers will oppose this one, as they did the Hole Fuds?
Although the design may not be the best (it is pretty much transplanted straight from Southern California), I'm at least glad to see high density projects in other parts of the city besides Downtown.
cityfan no está en línea  
Old May 15th, 2007, 11:06 AM   #418
cityfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiexInxIndy View Post
A campus of hotels including JW Marriott would be built on land that's now home to a 235-room Courtyard by Marriott and a TGI Friday's across from Victory Field!

Did i just hear that right? God forbid another "campus" type environment be built in DT Indy! I do have a sliver of hope for two reasons tho... 1) If it's taking THIS long that means somethings either reeeally wrong OR something's gonna make us sh!t our pants (but in a good way) 2) This will do WONDERS for the West Street side of Indy. AND it shall allow the White River to open up & become closer to the core. Am i riiight?
They're using the word "campus" rather liberally here. Don't worry, it will be a dense project. I think what they're trying to convey with the term "campus" is that there will be multiple hotels on the location rather than just one as there is now. As far as I know, there is at least a Renaissance Hotel (another one is sprouting in Carmel) and a JW Marriot that will comprise the main components of this so called campus.
cityfan no está en línea  
Old May 15th, 2007, 03:27 PM   #419
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Likes (Received): 14

Mayor Lugar looking out from his office. See One Indiana Square? I was in diapers when this photo was taken.

Old May 15th, 2007, 04:06 PM   #420
historybuffer

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:

Last edited by historybuffer; May 15th, 2007 at 04:26 PM.
historybuffer no está en línea  

Closed Thread