daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old May 15th, 2007, 04:42 PM   #421
IndiexInxIndy
Fuck The Bullshit!

Likes (Received): 0

God, Everybody Pleeease Quit B!tching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjfjapan View Post
It is craptacular. Why the need to evoke South Carolina along the six-lane Key-monster? Lazy designers. Wonder if any Fashion Maulers will oppose this one, as they did the Hole Fuds?
So would you rather have The Landing still there? A typical suburban apartment hell hole. OR would you rather have this built there instead of it being built in Carmel, Geist, Fishers or elsewhere? Seriously, all the bitching is reeeally starting to piss me off!!!

God, for once be appreciative of what we're getting! And cjfjapan you'd prolly be pissing your pants if this was bein built in your Terre Haute! Riiight?

Anywaaay, on a happier note i applaud the developers for building this! I hope with all my heart they can sell too... So GOOD luck to them!

Sponsored Links
Old May 15th, 2007, 05:07 PM   #422
cjfjapan

Likes (Received): 131

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiexInxIndy View Post
So would you rather have The Landing still there? A typical suburban apartment hell hole. OR would you rather have this built there instead of it being built in Carmel, Geist, Fishers or elsewhere? Seriously, all the bitching is reeeally starting to piss me off!!!

God, for once be appreciative of what we're getting! And cjfjapan you'd prolly be pissing your pants if this was bein built in your Terre Haute! Riiight?

Anywaaay, on a happier note i applaud the developers for building this! I hope with all my heart they can sell too... So GOOD luck to them!
Say it with me: high expectations. Lather, rinse, repeat.

This project would be enormous in Terre Haute, no doubt, but it would look as out of place there as it does on North Keystone. Allright, so it's not terrible; my beef is that Indianapolis isn't developing its own architectural vernacular i this project...and I'm not even sure what that is yet. Does Indy have an architectural style? I think about the houses near the canal that often get photographed with the city behind it...or the area around Fall Creek Place, Lockerbie.

You know, Indy is big enough and good enough now that it doesn't have to accept every project that comes along - when that used to happen, you got awful suburban projects planted in the Mile Square (see Farm Bureau Insurance Building in SE Quad, and the older condos between Mass and Ft. Wayne Aves).

In this case, I would like to see the designers and architects draw on Indy's own style, rather than importing something that does not fit our climate, history, or culture. I mean, who here has porches that big?
cjfjapan no está en línea  
Old May 15th, 2007, 05:15 PM   #423
IndiexInxIndy
Fuck The Bullshit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjfjapan View Post
Say it with me: high expectations. Lather, rinse, repeat.

This project would be enormous in Terre Haute, no doubt, but it would look as out of place there as it does on North Keystone. Allright, so it's not terrible; my beef is that Indianapolis isn't developing its own architectural vernacular i this project...and I'm not even sure what that is yet. Does Indy have an architectural style? I think about the houses near the canal that often get photographed with the city behind it...or the area around Fall Creek Place, Lockerbie.

You know, Indy is big enough and good enough now that it doesn't have to accept every project that comes along - when that used to happen, you got awful suburban projects planted in the Mile Square (see Farm Bureau Insurance Building in SE Quad, and the older condos between Mass and Ft. Wayne Aves).

In this case, I would like to see the designers and architects draw on Indy's own style, rather than importing something that does not fit our climate, history, or culture. I mean, who here has porches that big?
HaHa yea... I know where you're comin from man. The thing i happen to like is that we dont seem to limit ourselves. Many new developments incorprate styles from around the country as well as world for that matter... I like that! It makes us more of an architectural melting pot if you will. Besides, if ya wanna see local architecture at it's finest... Head up North Meridian between 38th to 86th! THAT my friend is Indianapolis flavor...
Old May 15th, 2007, 05:57 PM   #424
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

the project is decent, if it was downtown, I would probably be little bitchy,
but for that area, it will be much more dense. That housing addition between mass ave and ft.wayne ave is HORRIBLE. Its hidiouse, it needs to be leveled and replaced with either older fashioned houses and townhomes, or some nifty park project, but FOR THE LOVE OF GOD. Its like your driving down a street of beautiful historic buildings, turn the corner where a beautiful church sits,(which is all normal in Indianapolis) BUT then you turn into the most hidiouse housing addition in the world! And its lyk WTF? Did the city just decide to blow a ****** hole in the historic core and build this thing for the ****** laughs of it?!
Old May 15th, 2007, 06:05 PM   #425
unvrsty07

Likes (Received): 116

Lodging key to canal plans

The Indiana Finance Authority could expand its proposal to develop a vacant acre of land along the Downtown Canal by including a prime parcel on the other side of the canal.

Rooms with a view: This rendering shows one of four plans to develop a parcel on the east side of the Downtown Canal. The team behind this plan envisions a dual-hotel project with 255 rooms that includes a restaurant. Another team proposes a hotel that spans the canal. - Rendering provided by Browning Day Mullins Dierdor
Canal proposals
Four teams have expressed interest in developing a 1-acre site owned by the state and city along the Downtown Canal.
• Partners: Barrett & Stokely, Shiel Sexton, both of Indianapolis.
• Project: 50-unit apartment building with office and retail space on canal level.
• Size: Four stories, 80,000 square feet.

• Partners: Browning Investments, Dora Brothers Hospitality, Browning Day Mullins Dierdorf, all of Indianapolis.
• Project: 166-room hotel and 89-room extended-stay hotel. Includes restaurant with outdoor seating, meeting rooms and pool.
• Size: Nine stories, 238,350 square feet.

• Partners: LodgeWorks, Wichita, Kan.
• Project: 140- to 160-room suite-type hotel with restaurant, retail space and meeting rooms.
• Size: Not disclosed. Hotel would span the canal and use land on the west bank.

• Partners: Flaherty & Collins Properties, Ratio Architects, both of Indianapolis.
• Project: Not disclosed. Flaherty & Collins is an apartment and condominium developer.

The idea of using land on the west bank of the canal was suggested by one of four developers that want to bid on the project.
Wichita, Kan.-based LodgeWorks submitted a plan for a 140- to 160-bed suite-type hotel spanning the canal at New York Street, an out-of-the-box design it said "could become an Indianapolis landmark."
Such a project that spans the 30-foot-wide, historic canal could raise objections from historic preservationists and canal tenants.
But the authority is open to studying the idea of opening both sides of the canal for a development that would span the waterway, said Ryan Kitchell, the authority's director.
"It certainly wasn't what we contemplated" in asking for bids to develop the grassy site on the east side of the canal between New York and Ohio streets, he said.
The state-owned land on the opposite bank is under the jurisdiction of the Department of Administration and used by the Indiana Historical Society for a parking lot next to its offices, Kitchell said.
Whether the land can be made part of the private development the authority wants to see on the east side will have to be "talked through with the Historical Society," Kitchell said.
"It does appear to be a pretty valuable parcel of land," he said.
Three of the four development groups bidding for the right to build on the authority-owned land on the east side of the canal are local. One of them proposes a dual-hotel project -- one a traditional hotel and the other an extended-stay hotel -- with 255 rooms. Another proposal calls for a 50-unit apartment complex. The fourth team didn't say what it would like to build. All include retail-restaurant space on the ground floor facing the canal.
The finance authority is in talks with the teams to discuss terms of leasing parking spots to them in an authority-owned garage next to the site, as well as possibly using the land on the other side of the canal, Kitchell said. The authority hopes to award a development contract by the end of the year. The project would open in 2009 at the earliest, Kitchell said.
Dennis Dye, executive vice president of Browning Investments, said Browning would need extra time to rework its proposal for a dual-hotel if the land on the west side of the canal becomes available.
"We didn't consider using the other side. If we're going to open up the additional site . . ., we'd probably go back and rethink our plan," he said.
In a letter to the authority, LodgeWorks said its canal-spanning hotel design would provide a "focal point" that the canal needs.
The Downtown Canal has "a soul, but no heart," its letter says. "There was no place to meet, see and be seen."
Mark Dollase, vice president of preservation services for Historic Landmarks Foundation of Indiana, said a hotel spanning the canal "would send up red flags" because it has no precedent in the 171-year history of the canal.
"You can see quite a distance up and down the canal. That (hotel) could interrupt those views" and cast long shadows on the canal and sidewalks, he said. "I certainly hope we are not trying to make the canal a modern-day Las Vegas."
Cheryl Doll, vice president of marketing for LodgeWorks, declined to comment on its proposal.
Spokesmen for the two other teams and for the state Historical Society didn't respond to requests for comment.
The LodgeWorks proposal would use only about one-third of the state-owned land on the west side, so the historical society wouldn't lose its entire parking lot under the plan, Kitchell said.
As outlined, the proposed projects would "bring some vibrancy and active retail life" to the lower end of the canal, said Terry Sweeney, vice president of real estate and development for Indianapolis Downtown Inc.
unvrsty07 no está en línea  
Old May 15th, 2007, 06:10 PM   #426
unvrsty07

See thats what happens when youget developers from outside of a always tapped area, YOU GET GOOD< CREATIVE DEVELOPMENT PROPOSALS!! The one where it spans across the canal is so bad ass, I hope it is chosen!!
Old May 15th, 2007, 06:34 PM   #427
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 463

Quote:
Originally Posted by unvrsty07 View Post
Such a project that spans the 30-foot-wide, historic canal could raise objections from historic preservationists and canal tenants.
What are they talking about? There are no historical considerations to take into account here. Maybe "objections from historic preservationists" just refers to people that work at the Indiana History Center!

I don't understand why the IFA didn't include the other parcel in the original RFP. A developer with a cohesive retail concept could do very well building both sides at the same time.
CorrND no está en línea  
Old May 15th, 2007, 06:39 PM   #428
cityfan

Likes (Received): 1

"You can see quite a distance up and down the canal. That (hotel) could interrupt those views" and cast long shadows on the canal and sidewalks, he said. "I certainly hope we are not trying to make the canal a modern-day Las Vegas."

What the hell does that even mean? Modern-day Las Vegas? Typical lack of appreciation for architectural creativity...
cityfan no está en línea  
Old May 15th, 2007, 06:46 PM   #429
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

Likes (Received): 5

I knew someone who used to live at The Landings. It was a nice community up until about 10 years ago. As more low-income residents moved in it became blighted and gradually slid downhill. I drove past the other day along Keystone and I saw that they knocked the whole thing down, and I said to myself, "please no crappy development"!

Now, as for the project itself, I like the density and layout of it but I'm not sure if this is really necessary. And in this case, the architecture looks as if it was cut and pasted right from, say South Carolina.
NaptownBoy no está en línea  
Old May 15th, 2007, 07:32 PM   #430
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityfan View Post

What the hell does that even mean? Modern-day Las Vegas? Typical lack of appreciation for architectural creativity...

I know this guy and I have to totally disagree. So the canal is old. BUT, there is NOTHING historic about it. Sometimes I get very upset with preservationists.

I bet there is a mass log-on between 2:10 and 2:30
Old May 15th, 2007, 07:53 PM   #431
Unionstation13

there are very few historic structures along the canal, there is that church, buggs temple, and a few other things, the only thing historic about the canal itself is that a portion was dug a mighty long time ago, but its not like it had stone walls and mason work on the bridges or anything. I would love to see an italian style bridge across the canal, it would only add to the old world hint of feel to the canal!
Old May 15th, 2007, 07:57 PM   #432
SkywlkrSnd

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilson758 View Post
I bet there is a mass log-on between 2:10 and 2:30
Everyone place your bets! Will it be "razzle-dazzle" or "rubbish"? I'm betting on neither. It won't suck, but it sure won't be anything special. Here's to mediocrity. (Boy I hope I'm wrong and they pull something amazing out of thin air)
SkywlkrSnd no está en línea  
Old May 15th, 2007, 08:01 PM   #433
Powerslave

I'm expecting it to suck. Hopefully I will be pleasantly surprised.

Even if it is substantially taller, I don't know if I'll be that happy. I still would much rather have had the Intercontinental.
Powerslave no está en línea  
Old May 15th, 2007, 08:02 PM   #434
unvrsty07

It will be shit, complete and utter shit! Good call on the mass log on
Old May 15th, 2007, 08:03 PM   #435
unvrsty07

Oh btw, where will the rendering come from online?
Old May 15th, 2007, 08:04 PM   #436
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 463

Wow, one hour to go and already 11 people are on this thread. As I posted on the JW-M thread, my bet is substantial design improvement but not 1000 rooms and not 30 floors.

We also just hit 500 posts. Maybe time for a reset before we blast this thing with JW-M posts?
CorrND no está en línea  
Old May 15th, 2007, 08:07 PM   #437
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslave View Post
I'm expecting it to suck. Hopefully I will be pleasantly surprised.

Even if it is substantially taller, I don't know if I'll be that happy. I still would much rather have had the Intercontinental.

You know, at this point, I would take height over substance. Reason, I was just at Dunaway's last night for dinner and ate on the roof. The skyline BADLY needs to have a new tower break 400'...especially at the site of the project.
Old May 15th, 2007, 08:07 PM   #438
unvrsty07

Ya, depending on the design Im saying by the end of the day the JW gets 40-50 posts. any other predictions? LOL
Old May 15th, 2007, 08:08 PM   #439
Unionstation13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkywlkrSnd View Post
Everyone place your bets! Will it be "razzle-dazzle" or "rubbish"? I'm betting on neither. It won't suck, but it sure won't be anything special. Here's to mediocrity. (Boy I hope I'm wrong and they pull something amazing out of thin air)
is there the option of concrete and more glass?
Awww, I wont be here to see the grand design at 2, I have to go to work because someone is appearently in Canada.
be amazed for me!
Old May 15th, 2007, 08:12 PM   #440
unvrsty07

Im actually considering going dt to see it at the marriott (sp?) Anyone else going to be there? or want to meet me there? I was supposed to be in class right now cause i have summer classes to graduate but i skipped, ooops... Anyways, anyone want to meet up?

Closed Thread