daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old May 15th, 2007, 08:15 PM   #441
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

Likes (Received): 5

Mass logon? Did I miss something here?
NaptownBoy no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old May 15th, 2007, 08:26 PM   #442
unvrsty07

Likes (Received): 116

India Garden finds new Downtown home

India Garden Restaurant, a popular eatery in Downtown Indianapolis, will relocate to 201 N. Delaware St., says Summit Realty Group. The restaurant, specializing in Indian cuisine, closed earlier this year after losing its lease at 143 N. Illinois St. The building formerly housed a Burger King restaurant, the Star's Jeff Swiatek reports today.
unvrsty07 no está en línea  
Old May 15th, 2007, 08:36 PM   #443
indyfiend
INDYFIEND

Likes (Received): 0

Glad Indy's not "top 25" on this list

MIAMI - For the second straight year, rude Miami drivers have earned the city the title of worst road rage in a survey released Tuesday.

Miami motorists said they saw other drivers slam on their brakes, run red lights and talk on cell phones, according to AutoVantage, a Connecticut-based automobile membership club offering travel services and roadside assistance.

Other cities near the top of the rude drivers list were New York, Boston, Los Angeles and Washington, D.C.

South Miami resident Erik Pinto told The Associated Press he's probably seen every bad driving habit on Miami's roads.

"You don't want to know what I've seen," Pinto said. "I've seen everything. I'm from L.A., and we don't see the crazy drivers that you see here."

Portland, Ore., drivers were the least likely of the cities to see other motorists tailgating on the roadways, and St. Louis motorists were the least likely to swear at another driver, the survey found.

Minneapolis-St. Paul was rated the most courteous city in 2006 but slipped to the middle of the list this year.

The most frequent cause of road rage cited in the survey was impatient motorists. Drivers also cited poor driving in fast lanes and driving while stressed, frustrated or angry.

"The best piece of advice is to take a deep breath. Slow down, be aware and be careful," AutoVantage spokesman Todd Smith said, adding the aim of the survey is to increase driver safety across the nation.

More than 2,500 drivers who regularly commute in 25 major metropolitan areas were asked to rate road rage and rude driving in telephone surveys between January and March. The survey was conducted by Prince Market Research has a margin of error of plus or minus 2 percentage points.

The list, ranked from those reporting the most incidents of road rage to the fewest:

1. Miami

2. New York

3. Boston

4. Los Angeles

5. Washington, D.C.

6. Phoenix

7. Chicago

8. Sacramento, Calif.

9. Philadelphia

10. San Francisco

11. Houston

12. Atlanta

13. Detroit

14. Minneapolis-St. Paul

15. Baltimore

16. Tampa, Fla.

17. San Diego

18. Cincinnati

19. Cleveland

20. Denver

21. Dallas-Ft. Worth

22. St. Louis

23. Seattle-Tacoma

24. Pittsburgh

25. Portland, Ore.
indyfiend no está en línea  
Old May 15th, 2007, 08:40 PM   #444
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 463

Quote:
Originally Posted by unvrsty07 View Post

India Garden Restaurant, a popular eatery in Downtown Indianapolis, will relocate to 201 N. Delaware St., says Summit Realty Group. The restaurant, specializing in Indian cuisine, closed earlier this year after losing its lease at 143 N. Illinois St. The building formerly housed a Burger King restaurant, the Star's Jeff Swiatek reports today.
Wow, that's great! Right next to the new Barcelona Tapas place going in. It will probably be mutually helpful to have these restaurants right next to each other. Creates a better environment.
CorrND no está en línea  
Old May 15th, 2007, 08:40 PM   #445
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:

Isn't the Barcalona Tapas supposed to in there or is this next door where Indygo had an office?
Old May 15th, 2007, 08:41 PM   #446
indyfiend
INDYFIEND

A Taller JW Marriott?

FROM IBJ: Developers plan to unveil a significantly updated set of plans this afternoon for a JW Marriott convention hotel across the street from Victory Field. For one, the 1,000-room hotel will be taller than the 22 stories originally proposed, said Jeremy Stephenson, the director of development for REI Investments. He wouldn’t say how much taller. “I think what you’ll see the next time is much improved, from a functionality as well as a look standpoint,” he said.

Here's hopin'
indyfiend no está en línea  
Old May 15th, 2007, 08:50 PM   #447
SkywlkrSnd

Likes (Received): 1

...and in "non-JWM" news

from Inside Indiana Business:

Indianapolis Goes Green

Indianapolis – Mayor Bart Peterson today launched the “Indy GreenPrint,” a city-wide vision to create a sustainable Indianapolis that contributes to climate protection and promotes energy efficiency and conversation.

To implement the Green Print, the mayor said he would lead an effort to:

-- Encourage businesses & residents to embrace energy efficiency & conservation;

-- Lead by example by implementing policies and measures within city government;

-- Monitor and verify the results of increased energy efficiency and conservation; and

-- Create a “Green Commission” to explore new policy areas, make recommendations and advocate for implementation of this vision.

“To remain a vibrant, successful and livable city well into the future, we must take steps today to ensure that our air and water are clean, that we are saving land and we are leaving a better city for our children and grandchildren,” Mayor Peterson said.

“We cannot bury our heads in the sand and pretend that the actions we take today will have no effect on our children,” he added. “We join with cities and states across the country to action, and take action now.”

The GreenPrint will seek to engage the Indianapolis community in six major areas:

· Energy & Emissions: Decrease energy demands and improve air quality.

· Natural Resource Stewardship: Protect the natural environment & preserve neighborhood quality of life.

· Materials & Waste Management: Minimize waste and purchase eco-efficiently.

· Smart Transit: Create new options for moving around the Indianapolis region.

· Smart Development: Create people-oriented development, with smart land use.

· Community Education: Encourage well-informed residents to do their part

Immediate steps will include beginning to implement steps within city government to conserve energy, conduct a baseline emission inventory of the entire city and appoint a Green Commission, of business, neighborhood and environmental leaders, to continue to discuss new items and policies.

----

I think it's GREAT that Indy will start laying out environmental and sustainable policies and practices. We certainly need to improve our air quality here. I'm also really excited to see what Bart has in mind for the "Smart Transit" and "Smart Development" components of the plan. Of course, the devil is in the details, but I think this is a great first step and I applaud the city for jumping head-first onto the Green bandwagon.
SkywlkrSnd no está en línea  
Old May 15th, 2007, 08:50 PM   #448
benjaminooo
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:

YESSSSSSSSSSS
benjaminooo no está en línea  
Old May 15th, 2007, 09:10 PM   #449
CorrND
Moderator Chris

From Cory Schouten on Property Lines:

Downtown’s new convention headquarters hotel got a sleek new look this afternoon. The $325-million campus of hotels will include the tallest hotel in Indianapolis, a 29-story JW Marriott topped with more than 24 luxury condos. As a whole, the complex will contain a total of 1,568 rooms, including a 250-room Courtyard by Marriott, 168-room Fairfield Inn & Suites and a 150-room SpringHill Suites. The developers plan to start construction this fall. The project, at the southwest corner of West and Washington streets, is being built by Merrillville-based White Lodging Services Corp. and Indianapolis-based REI Real Estate Services.

http://www.ibj.com/html/blog.html
CorrND no está en línea  
Old May 15th, 2007, 09:16 PM   #450
Indywatch

So instead of a 22 story giant concrete box we get a 29 story glass cereal box on it's side?
Indywatch no está en línea  
Old May 15th, 2007, 09:17 PM   #451
arenn

Likes (Received): 132

At first blush it looks like they tried to imitate the Intercontinental proposal style.
Old May 15th, 2007, 09:22 PM   #452
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by arenn View Post
At first blush it looks like they tried to imitate the Intercontinental proposal style.
Agreed. We need a better rendering to make any real judgment on this, though. The Indiana Government Center sign is larger than the hotel in that picture!

1568-250-150-168 = exactly 1000 rooms. So at least we got that, even if we didn't get 30 stories.
CorrND no está en línea  
Old May 15th, 2007, 09:22 PM   #453
SkywlkrSnd

Likes (Received): 1

ah, the old "use a wide-angle lens looking up from the ground so the boring box looks like it actually has cool angles" architectural photography trick. I'll reserve the rest of my judgment until they release a larger image.

Edit: Good point, CorrND. At least we got the 1K rooms. I was very, VERY worried White would weasel it's way out of that one.
SkywlkrSnd no está en línea  
Old May 15th, 2007, 09:23 PM   #454
INDY#1FAN

Likes (Received): 2

NO reason why this couldn't have been 40+ stories and much better design. Once again Indy settles for second class status. Infuriating, especially given how much money is being invested here...
INDY#1FAN no está en línea  
Old May 15th, 2007, 09:26 PM   #455
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

I need a better rendering
Old May 15th, 2007, 09:29 PM   #456
unvrsty07

Not bad, mediocre, (wait for it, wait for it) AGAIN! The onlypositive I see is that it comes rightup to West Street.
Old May 15th, 2007, 09:34 PM   #457
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

I magnified it by 4x, sorry for the blurriness
image hosted on flickr
Old May 15th, 2007, 09:40 PM   #458
unvrsty07

lol that really is a terrible ******* design hahaha, at this point all I can do is laugh, otherwise I will end up throwing my computer out the window... LOL I just went and looked at the Signature Tower in Nashville, lol shouldnt have done that, because thats a good design. This shit makes me want to kill myself thats how pathetic it is!
Old May 15th, 2007, 09:41 PM   #459
Indywatch

A magnified glass cereal box on it's side. Not a thing architecturally significant. Blah
Indywatch no está en línea  
Old May 15th, 2007, 09:44 PM   #460
ragerunner1

Likes (Received): 44

What is the height of the other hotels and will they still include the indoor water park? It appears from the drawing that it will include at least another 15 to 20 story tower. While I still think the architecture could be much better, the placement is good and two new skyscrapers for downtown is very welcomed.
ragerunner1 no está en línea  

Closed Thread