daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old May 16th, 2007, 12:56 AM   #501
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

Likes (Received): 5

Yes, the height does suck.

This isn't Muncie. 317' will do little for our skyline.
NaptownBoy no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old May 16th, 2007, 12:59 AM   #502
Indyman

Likes (Received): 4

I say cut it in half lenth wise and stack em up. Id be alright with it then.
Old May 16th, 2007, 01:16 AM   #503
Indywatch

Likes (Received): 0

How about "Greening" up those upper terraces. At least with some trees up there it break up the ugly square lines of that awful building... besides "green roofs" are very eco-geo-friendly right now. I could overlook the blandness of the proposal if I knew it were at least a bit more eco-friendly.
Indywatch no está en línea  
Old May 16th, 2007, 02:35 AM   #504
billionbucks
Colts Fan

I don't think its too horrible. First reaction is I like it... Big convention looking ballroom that overlooks the ballpark is cool.

I really like the overhead shot from the air. It will fill up that space nicely, with two towers and a third shorter one. With the development on the canal piece this shot will change in the near future.

Jerry Falwell is dead. I'm just in a good mood.

Last edited by billionbucks; May 16th, 2007 at 02:42 AM.
billionbucks no está en línea  
Old May 16th, 2007, 03:10 AM   #505
arenn

Likes (Received): 132

Maybe it's because my expectations were low, but this isn't as bad as I'd feared. It certainly isn't iconic architecture by any means, but it's a clear step above the old proposal.
Old May 16th, 2007, 04:20 AM   #506
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

The smaller tower is a merge/hybrid of the original and the new Ft. Wayne dt hotel.
Old May 16th, 2007, 05:18 AM   #507
Harpua

Likes (Received): 110

Man, look at that big, giant, blank wall at street level! Way to promote pedestrian friendliness, Indy! What a joke...
Harpua no está en línea  
Old May 16th, 2007, 05:59 AM   #508
thehoss257

Likes (Received): 37

Ok I was pissed off after work and decided I would see if I could come up with a design in just a few hours that I liked better.

I think the main problem with the tower design is that the building has a ridiculously long footprint. There is no reason that this building needs to be an entire block long.

The sad thing is that this is going to flood so many hotel rooms on to the market hurting existing hotels. And for what?

Image One:
image hosted on flickr

Image Two:
image hosted on flickr

Image Three:
image hosted on flickr
thehoss257 no está en línea  
Old May 16th, 2007, 06:09 AM   #509
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 463

thehoss257 -- the fact that you came up with a rudimentary design in a matter of hours that's better than what the paid architects came up with in months makes me sick.

edit: I was seriously coming around to this design before thehoss257 posted those pics. I now realize that I was just settling. I'm simply blown away by how unimaginative this design is. Sure, the design is "fine" -- 4hrs ago I would have agreed and even defended it -- but when compared to what could have been, this design SUCKS.

Last edited by CorrND; May 16th, 2007 at 06:22 AM.
CorrND no está en línea  
Old May 16th, 2007, 06:24 AM   #510
SoBe

Likes (Received): 1

Agreed...please forward your work to anyone who will listen! Maybe you could do some work pro bono?

Anyone even notice that the Renaissance has been dropped from the proposal? That's very unforntunate, since that is the Marriott's answer to Starwood's W hotels. I travel for a living and I can tell you that the other 3 brands (other than the JW) are total shit. No business traveler or convention goer is going to stay at a f#@ing Fairfield Inn!! WTF?
SoBe no está en línea  
Old May 16th, 2007, 06:35 AM   #511
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 463

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBe View Post
Agreed...please forward your work to anyone who will listen! Maybe you could do some work pro bono?

Anyone even notice that the Renaissance has been dropped from the proposal? That's very unforntunate, since that is the Marriott's answer to Starwood's W hotels. I travel for a living and I can tell you that the other 3 brands (other than the JW) are total shit. No business traveler or convention goer is going to stay at a f#@ing Fairfield Inn!! WTF?
Interesting info re: the Renaissance. They also appear to have jettisoned the water park from the proposal, most likely a casualty of the ballroom addition.
CorrND no está en línea  
Old May 16th, 2007, 06:42 AM   #512
billionbucks
Colts Fan

looking at some of the design images... are they keeping the same courtyard building and just building around it? that parking lot is maybe for the Friday's? I don't know... I'd hope they atleast renovate the thing to match the rest. I'd assume they would.
Old May 16th, 2007, 07:00 AM   #513
indyfiend
INDYFIEND

A few things I like about the JW: 1) I'm glad they rotated it to preserve the skyline view from the Vic. 2) After seeing the overhead view, this will tie the convention center, Vic and WRSP together nicely. Do I wish it were taller, yes. Do I wish it had a better design, of course. Yet, if they decide on colored glass or invest in an eye-catching lighting system, it could look nice. Boy, after reading the comments on this project, Penn Tower better deliver! No pressure
indyfiend no está en línea  
Old May 16th, 2007, 07:19 AM   #514
unvrsty07

Likes (Received): 116

^ lol that or the project hasbeen cancelled. BTW, with all of the hoopla about the Convention Hotel we forgot to mention 3Mass Ave. I believe I saw on the news tonight that it broke ground today... Which is good news.
unvrsty07 no está en línea  
Old May 16th, 2007, 07:32 AM   #515
thehoss257

Ok, I would like to draw everyone's attention to the Maryland Street frontage of the JW Marriot. I'm not sure I’ve ever seen a building so unapologetically give the shaft to pedestrians. That's a text book example of what not to do.
thehoss257 no está en línea  
Old May 16th, 2007, 07:57 AM   #516
eweezerinc
President of Catan

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrND View Post
Oh...... hahahahahaha. It blends right in.
I think, even if we didn't admit it, we all thought that they might make the design decent and distinct... but this is just pretty terrible. That top really isnt approapriate. All it does is break up the boxy shape. I can hear the thought processs... "hmm.. maybe if I make some jaggy corners here.... and here.... set it back a bit... ah.. uh.. thats.. different. Distinct. Significant. Whatever the hell else those people wanted. Yes. I'm done.... Smoke break!"

Know what would have been really super duper hot instead of this JW thing?
The CCTV HeadQuarters in Beijing.

I think it woulda looked damn good.
Old May 16th, 2007, 03:14 PM   #517
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

The Maryland Street frontage is a huge "No-no!" I saw that and couldn't help but hang my head. Obviously, there is so much room for improvement, but it is a hotel. I never expected much, so I am not too disappointed. My only complaint is seeing people like Tammara Zahn and the Mayor's Office lauding this project and there are SO MANY things wrong with it.

Here's a small blurb on 3MassAve:

Indianapolis - Workers broke ground Tuesday for the huge condominium project at 333 Mass Avenue.

Three Mass Ave. is a big addition to the downtown condo market. The ten-story building will feature retail space, 44 condominiums, a fitness center, rooftop garden and parking.

Condos range in price from $299,000 to $2 million
Old May 16th, 2007, 04:10 PM   #518
arenn

Likes (Received): 132

Tamara Zahn is the marketing arm of downtown businesses, so obviously she's not going to criticize at all. She's pure cheerleader.

The Renaissance getting the chop is probably part of how they got to 1,000 rooms in the JW Marriott. I think the fact that this is actually a 1,000 room hotel, which Whiteco obviously did not want to do, is the biggest win of the redesign. This overall complex can handle a heckuva lot bigger convention HQ's that most competitor cities.
Old May 16th, 2007, 04:25 PM   #519
Unionstation13

the more I look at it, the more I want to throw up. =/
I mean honestly! Hell, a super tall glass shoebox would have been better then this massivly wide glass shit motel with hallways!
AGH.
Old May 16th, 2007, 04:47 PM   #520
ragerunner1

Likes (Received): 44

I think the layout makes for a nice transition from the park area, which is more suburban in design, to downtown (building up to the sidewalk line). This project is going to do a lot more good for downtown than damage. It will bring more conventions into the city which means more dollars and growth for the core and does a very good job at creating that final link between downtown and WRSP (pedestrian and skyline wise). While I have seen better architecture I have also seen a lot worse, even in downtown Chicago.
ragerunner1 no está en línea  

Closed Thread