daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old May 17th, 2007, 05:13 AM   #541
unvrsty07

Likes (Received): 116

I love the color in the LA project. If a similar color/more intersting color was used for the one proposed here, it would be a good design I think. I the JW changes the color around a little it will be a much more attractive project.
unvrsty07 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old May 17th, 2007, 06:07 AM   #542
billionbucks
Colts Fan

Likes (Received): 0

Not exactly downtown Indianapolis... But I thought I'd post an article posted about the place where I had my first job - Dodd's Townhouse.
-------

New restaurant at Dodd’s Townhouse

A group of local investors are planning a new restaurant dubbed The Meridian in the former home of Dodd’s Townhouse at 5694 N. Meridian St. Former Ruth’s Chris Executive Chef Dan Dunville will be the restaurant’s executive chef. Owners are Rick Lux and Tom Megenhardt of R.P. Lux Co. and Steve Berg of S.A. Berg Co. Lux is the owner of Lux Restaurants, which owns Binkley’s Kitchen and Bar, The Elbow Room and Broad Ripple Tavern. The restaurant will serve steaks, seafood and pasta. A renovation of the structure built in 1880 is underway. The owners hope to open the restaurant in September.
Old May 17th, 2007, 06:21 AM   #543
bananaboi22

Will the new JW Hotel connect to Circle Centre?
bananaboi22 no está en línea  
Old May 17th, 2007, 07:14 AM   #544
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 463

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallascowboi View Post
Will the new JW Hotel connect to Circle Centre?
Insofar as the JW-M will connect to the Convention Center and the Convention Center ultimately connects to Circle Centre, yes.
CorrND no está en línea  
Old May 17th, 2007, 04:09 PM   #545
Indyman

Likes (Received): 4

I agree with what was said earlier. A simple glass color scheme change would do wonders. The current glass looks grayish green and is sooo bland and dull.
Old May 17th, 2007, 04:39 PM   #546
bananaboi22

I guess I am confused. They aren't building a brand NEW Convention Center, they are mearly just using the ball room at the JW?
bananaboi22 no está en línea  
Old May 17th, 2007, 04:40 PM   #547
IndiexInxIndy
Fuck The Bullshit!

I Wonder...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyman View Post
I agree with what was said earlier. A simple glass color scheme change would do wonders. The current glass looks grayish green and is sooo bland and dull.
I wonder if we could like colaborate as a whole. And then write to White (hah) and see if they could change the color to a more polished silvery white? I'm pretty damn sure that would do wonders too!

So uh, who & how should we go about this wondrous suggestion? And yes, let's not forget to give them our full-fledged support on their green roof too... I LOVE that idea!
Old May 17th, 2007, 04:44 PM   #548
ablerock

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrND View Post
I'd like to see more detail of that big corner of glass at Maryland and West. That could be really cool.

EDIT: Another VERY high-res shot (I assume this is one time people really aren't going to complain about ridiculously huge pics)

It seems the architects have taken the "it must fit in" mantra a bit too seriously.

The building takes its bland cues from surrounding buildings (except victory field). The banding/spacing between floors is straight off Chase Tower. I see at least a dozen in that shot with similar spacing.

The JW's street level looks about as inviting as the Covention Center's loading dock.

That's singlehandedly the biggest mistake of this project.

The main problem with Indianapolis architecture, particulary this project, is a lack of attention to detail, a poor sense of rhythm/balance, and lego style construction. One can literally see the building blocks stuck together.

The architects aren't pushing their designs to that critical moment of coalescence when the elements are no longer individual pieces, but combine to form a true "building."

This proposal is especially disappointing, as I've just returned from a weekend trip to Chicago.
ablerock no está en línea  
Old May 17th, 2007, 04:44 PM   #549
IndiexInxIndy
Fuck The Bullshit!

Actually...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallascowboi View Post
I guess I am confused. They aren't building a brand NEW Convention Center, they are mearly just using the ball room at the JW?
No, no we're gettin an newly expanded & updated Convention Center. AND new football field. AND new airport! So as much as we're bitchin about the color scheme right now... We should @least be grateful about the other stuff that's being built that we are taking for granted!
Old May 17th, 2007, 04:47 PM   #550
IndiexInxIndy
Fuck The Bullshit!

Well look at it this way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablerock View Post
It seems the architects have taken the "it must fit in" mantra a bit too seriously.

The building takes its bland cues from surrounding buildings (except victory field). The banding/spacing between floors is straight off Chase Tower. I see at least a dozen in that shot with similar spacing.

The JW's street level looks about as inviting as the Covention Center's loading dock.

That's singlehandedly the biggest mistake of this project.

The main problem with Indianapolis architecture, particulary this project, is a lack of attention to detail, a poor sense of rhythm/balance, and lego style construction. One can literally see the building blocks stuck together.

The architects aren't pushing their designs to that critical moment of coalescence when the elements are no longer individual pieces, but combine to form a true "building."

This proposal is especially disappointing, as I've just returned from a weekend trip to Chicago.
We have our classic buildings. We have the Circle. The Market Tower, 300 N. Meridian, basically the whole Meridian Street corridor at that. We also have The Pyramids on the NW side, Keystone Crossing on the NE side. All of which are rather unique...
Old May 17th, 2007, 05:17 PM   #551
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

See, that's the problem. The City has a number of very high-profile projects that are currently under construction. More so than probably any other City in the Midwest, maybe even the east. BUT, all of the designs are mediocre. Could you imagine fantastic, envelope-pushing designs for the library, airport, JW Marriott, et all...? The City has really missed a number of wonderful, once in a generation opportunities to make a mark and proclaim our arrival as a true top-tier City, but instead, Indy, for whatever reason, is fine with functionality over fabulousness (is that a word?).
Old May 17th, 2007, 05:48 PM   #552
ragerunner1

Likes (Received): 44

So why is some of the high profile buildings not good architecture?

I think the new terminal is very well done, and will be the best looking and designed airport terminal in the midwest. What terminal in the midwest has a better design, maybe parts of Chicago.

LOS is a great piece of architecture and design.

The Central Library expansion is very well done (even if its over budget).

I am not saying Indy is the center of an architectural revival, but I think some of you guys are not seeing how great some of these structures are. Compare them to peer cities in the midwest and see who's terminal has the best architecture, or central library or Football stadium. Lets get some pictures up and do some comparisons.
ragerunner1 no está en línea  
Old May 17th, 2007, 05:58 PM   #553
IndiexInxIndy
Fuck The Bullshit!

Your More Wrong Than Right.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilson758 View Post
See, that's the problem. The City has a number of very high-profile projects that are currently under construction. More so than probably any other City in the Midwest, maybe even the east. BUT, all of the designs are mediocre. Could you imagine fantastic, envelope-pushing designs for the library, airport, JW Marriott, et all...? The City has really missed a number of wonderful, once in a generation opportunities to make a mark and proclaim our arrival as a true top-tier City, but instead, Indy, for whatever reason, is fine with functionality over fabulousness (is that a word?).
While, i agree with you in some respects. I disagree in even more. Conisder this, would you want some envelope pushing design that looks full of "fabulousness" now... Yet, a decade from now it looks like a piece of shit! Orrr would you rather have our Terminal which is very well designed as well as pratical? The library too, it's simple yet very unique... It complements its surroundings without screaming for attention! I actually think all these "mediocre designs" are a blessing in disguise.

I mean seriously, look at our skyline if you will. Notice how there's nothin that screams out "LOOK AT ME" That's because all or the vast majority of the buildings complement one another. Thus, our skyline is cohesive & looks timeless even if the majority of the buildings were built in the decadant decade of the 80's.

So im sry to bash you bro... It's just that i see this as more positive then negative! However, the JWub could surely use a different glass color scheme...
Old May 17th, 2007, 05:59 PM   #554
ragerunner1

Likes (Received): 44

Airport Terminals in the Midwest:

St. Louis: http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...1203&encType=1

Cleveland: http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...2763&encType=1

Detroit: http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...4707&encType=1

Minneapolis: http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...7704&encType=1

Milwaukeee: http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...7503&encType=1

Chicago: http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...4960&encType=1

So which airport has the better architecture. These or Indy's new terminal? As far as I know none of these airports are planning to construct an all new terminal anytime in the future.

P.S. These posts are not meant to start a war over who is better with other city forumers. This is just to make a point to some of the Indy posters.

Last edited by ragerunner1; May 17th, 2007 at 06:19 PM.
ragerunner1 no está en línea  
Old May 17th, 2007, 06:04 PM   #555
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

the library was designed to look nice, while not taking attention from the library, and I think they have done well with that, not to mention the interior architecture between the new part, and the old part is amazing! The new terminal is beautiful, there are projects that should be good looking without taking attention away(like the library) and new projects that should scream "LOOK AT ME ASS WHIPE!"
The JW marriott could have had a slanted roof that could have been cool(like the market tower) and could have had a neat timeless, while a sexy look with different color glass, but no, hell, I bet even next year people will be saying how hidiouse it is! This design is not timeless like the chase, or market tower, or anything like that, or the new terminal, it is just............ egh, like something the city county building produced.
Old May 17th, 2007, 06:10 PM   #556
Indywatch

I agree with both sides of the fence. While I would love Indy to have a bit more daring architecture and am dissappointed by the JW, I do feel that we have a rather attractive skyline... and it's getting better all the time. It would be very cool to have a "signature" building in Indy that once everyone saw it they knew we were talking about Indianapolis. Examples would be the Transamerican Pyramid in San Fran, Reunion Tower and Hyatt Hotel in Dallas, Sears Tower in Chicago, Empire State building in New York, Space Needle in Seattle, Gateway Arch in St. Louis, Westin Peachtree Tower in Atlanta. If you showed anyone on the street a picture of any of those buildings or structures most would probably be able to identify what city it represents. Not sure you could say that about any one of our buildings except perhaps Monument Circle, however I doubt that the average American knows about Monument Circle.

Last edited by Indywatch; May 17th, 2007 at 06:24 PM.
Indywatch no está en línea  
Old May 17th, 2007, 06:36 PM   #557
IndiexInxIndy
Fuck The Bullshit!

Here's To My 100th Post! Can I Get A Cheers?

Commercial real estate 2 Downtown projects crown redevelopment!

By Tony Miller
Star correspondent

For a company that keeps a low profile, Crown Property Group has acquired two high-profile sites that will raise its stature as a player in Downtown redevelopment.

Crown's renovation of the Barrister Building, 155 E. Market St., purchased in 2005, is about half complete. Refurbishing work also started recently on the Stock Yards Bank Building, 136 E. Market St., formerly the Peoples Bank Building, which Crown purchased for $2.9 million this year.
Both buildings fit "quite well" with Crown's focus on improving existing properties, said Kendrick Largent, the company's managing director.
"Crown's primary mission is to focus on underperforming or impaired assets that could benefit from a detailed redevelopment strategy," Largent said. "We have attempted to stay out of the spotlight, taking a low profile and, in turn, focusing on our redevelopment activities."
The 80-year-old Barrister Building was due for a face-lift, said Tom Ferguson of Premier Commercial Real Estate, the Barrister's leasing agent.
Last remodeled in 1982, it has been a fixture in the city's legal community because of its proximity to the City-County Building a block away.
Law firms and title companies are common among tenants. The eight-story building also houses city and state offices, including a correctional facility for nonviolent offenders.
"The Barrister Building was a logical choice for Crown because it was a historic building in a great location, with a great mix of tenants," Ferguson said.
The Barrister, which features an underground garage, has 57,000 square feet of rentable space. It is nearly fully occupied with two suites, measuring 700 and 200 square feet, available for lease.
Ferguson said current or finished improvements include upgrades to the elevators, new paint and carpeting, and refurbished facade. He said asbestos wrapping in the Barrister's basement garage has not been damaged, and inspectors said no remediation work is required.
The occupancy rate at the 12-story Stock Yards Bank Building is around 70 percent, Ferguson said.
The building's 55,000 square feet of commercial space features a more diversified tenant mix, he said. That includes a bank branch and bail bond firm on the first floor and a modeling agency, hair salon, insurance company and several nonprofit organizations elsewhere in the building.
Crown Property Group's strategic plans for the Barrister and Stock Yards Bank buildings is encouraging news for Terry Sweeney, vice president of real estate development for Indianapolis Downtown Inc.
"It's good to see these two buildings get new lives. It speaks to the potential of this area," he said. "It's a key part of that Market Street corridor."
Indianapolis Downtown, among other priorities, promotes street-level investment in its Penn & Market Street Corridor. The corridor plan, adopted in 2004, envisions linking Downtown revitalization efforts with prominent destinations within the city's Mile Square.
Along with planning, Largent said it takes "patience and vision" to transform underperforming properties into desirable sites.
Crown Property Group might prefer a low profile, but it's got big plans for new deals, and for Downtown.

Old May 17th, 2007, 08:09 PM   #558
unvrsty07

Well, This is some EXCELLENT news!!!

Indy-to-Chicago monorail plans to be aired

An Indianapolis Foundation and a Montana investor (who says he has $10 billion in financing lined up) are gauging local support in Merrillville for an Indianapolis-to-Chicago monorail system they say would have key stops in Northwest Indiana, reports the Times of Munster today. The monorail could handle both passengers and freight and with a projected five-year construction, it could be ready for the 2016 Olympics.

Indystar will not let me access the full story.
Old May 17th, 2007, 08:14 PM   #559
unvrsty07

Why are they trying to get supportin Merrillville? Is that where the Chicago hub is going to be?
Old May 17th, 2007, 08:25 PM   #560
Indywatch

It does seem a little too good to be true. Why would someone from Montana be interested in a monorail from Indy to Chicago, too sink billions of $'s in it? While I too would love nothing better.... seems some other high profile cities would be better linked and/or served.... say LA / San Fran, or Philly / New York, Seattle / Portland. I'd love an affordable time saving alternative to driving to Chicago from Indy... however you then have the issue of once getting to Chicago, getting around that town if the monorail system is not directly linked to the Chicago Transit Authority easily.

Just sounds too good to be true.

Last edited by Indywatch; May 17th, 2007 at 08:34 PM.
Indywatch no está en línea  

Closed Thread