daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old May 17th, 2007, 09:14 PM   #561
benjaminooo
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indywatch View Post
however you then have the issue of once getting to Chicago, getting around that town if the monorail system is not directly linked to the Chicago Transit Authority easily.
It's not like it would drop you off in the middle of nowhere. It's Chicago. They have a great bus and train system, as well as a surplus of cab service. I doubt there will be an issue with "getting around" Chicago once you step off this supposed mono-rail. If this happens they will make it work.. I'd worry more about incoming to Indianapolis unless we have the transportation hub finished with a light rail and improved bus system by 2016.
benjaminooo no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old May 17th, 2007, 09:15 PM   #562
Indywatch

Likes (Received): 0

on a side note discussion to what I just said. Are Chicago and Indy that economically entertwined? Obviously Indy companies do business across the country if not worldwide. If Chicago/Indy ties are that much stronger to warrent a high speed commuter monorail, why did Governor Daniels put Indy on Eastern time (more with New York) than with our closer neighbor Chicago? Just curious.
Indywatch no está en línea  
Old May 17th, 2007, 10:00 PM   #563
benjaminooo
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 32

from the IBJ blog:

The Jimmy Johns on Pennsylvania Street downtown has closed. The chain has another restaurant about a block away, at Meridian and Washington streets.

Hoaglin Fine Catering plans to open a new restaurant along the canal at the Indiana History Center. The restaurant, Hoaglin To Go on Stardust Terrace, will open from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. starting in late June. (3 hours of operation per day, yikes).

India Garden has agreed to reopen next door to the new BARcelona Tapas restaurant slated for the corner of Delaware and Ohio streets. India Garden had been on Illinois Street.

And finally, Hardee’s has added its Red Burrito brand to several local restaurants, including on Allisonville Road, Southport Road and High School Road in Indianapolis and in Lebanon.
benjaminooo no está en línea  
Old May 17th, 2007, 10:54 PM   #564
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Likes (Received): 14

Jimmy Johns off the circle is a much better location. Indian Gardens next to Barcelona? Very nice. The Barcelona has placed awnings on the Ohio and Delaware Street sidewalks. Outdoor seating for the homeless after dark.
Old May 17th, 2007, 11:03 PM   #565
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by unvrsty07 View Post
Why are they trying to get supportin Merrillville? Is that where the Chicago hub is going to be?
I can see this if it runs alongside say I-65. The Aamtrak route takes you into Dyer, just west of Merrillville. I think it should go all the way to a South Shore stop in Gary. Then pick up a train into downtown Chicago....

Old May 17th, 2007, 11:04 PM   #566
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 463

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobyhead View Post
Jimmy Johns off the circle is a much better location. Indian Gardens next to Barcelona? Very nice. The Barcelona has placed awnings on the Ohio and Delaware Street sidewalks. Outdoor seating for the homeless after dark.
Speaking of awnings, Central Park Garage (aka the Le Peep corner) also placed an awning over all their ground-floor retail. It looks MUCH better.
CorrND no está en línea  
Old May 18th, 2007, 12:47 AM   #567
arenn

Likes (Received): 132

I don't agree at all that the airport is a good design. I'm sure it will be serviceable, functional, and a big step up over the current facility. But that's not where the goal should be set. This is the first thing visitors to the city see. It's a big chance to make an impression. Cities around the world are now designing airports as major civic statements and Indianapolis missed the boat here. Better than the other mediocre airports in the Midwest should not be the goal. (And incidentally, what I've seen won't even beat Helmut Jahn's pretty old United Terminal design in Chicago).

I was recently in Madrid and their new international terminal was designed by an architect who just won the Pritkzer Prize. It's by far the coolest airport I've ever been in. This is what Indy should be benchmarking itself against. Here are a couple of photos.

The roof is bamboo, incidentally.

Now this architecture seems again pretty contextless, so there's room for improvement. I think Indy could have done even better.
Old May 18th, 2007, 12:57 AM   #568
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

the new terminal is fantastic, what are you talking about? the design is amazing, especially compared to recent projects in Indy.
I love the new terminal, its very modern, very elegant, and the interior artwork will just add on.
Old May 18th, 2007, 01:26 AM   #569
cjfjapan

Likes (Received): 131

Quote:
Originally Posted by arenn View Post
I don't agree at all that the airport is a good design. I'm sure it will be serviceable, functional, and a big step up over the current facility. But that's not where the goal should be set. This is the first thing visitors to the city see. It's a big chance to make an impression. Cities around the world are now designing airports as major civic statements and Indianapolis missed the boat here. Better than the other mediocre airports in the Midwest should not be the goal. (And incidentally, what I've seen won't even beat Helmut Jahn's pretty old United Terminal design in Chicago).

I was recently in Madrid and their new international terminal was designed by an architect who just won the Pritkzer Prize. It's by far the coolest airport I've ever been in. This is what Indy should be benchmarking itself against. Here are a couple of photos.

The roof is bamboo, incidentally.

Now this architecture seems again pretty contextless, so there's room for improvement. I think Indy could have done even better.
Great photos.

I'm with you on the new Indy Terminal - compared to most airports in the US, it's very good, but (as I've said here before) the new terminal looks like every new Asian airport built fifteen years ago - Osaka, Nagoya, Inchon, Hong Kong - there really isn't much innovative about the New Indy design. I would love love love to see some innovative architecture in central Indiana - but I think the area is just too conservative and business-oriented. Louisville and Chicago definitely have us beat in architecture and design.

Indiana-placid.

If there is a new building that could be stretching our design corset, I would say its the new Central Library.
cjfjapan no está en línea  
Old May 18th, 2007, 02:09 AM   #570
billionbucks
Colts Fan

There is nothing wrong with the terminal. Everyone always seems to find 100 problems with a single project.
Old May 18th, 2007, 02:47 AM   #571
IndiexInxIndy
Fuck The Bullshit!

Amen Brother! (Or Sister)

I COMPLETELY agree! I mean seriously, i'd say that Central Indy is not THAT conservative or business oriented. I'd say it leans more to the "bitch about anything & everything" quota. People on this thread are getting worse then the Indy Star forumers. And that aint a good thing!
Old May 18th, 2007, 04:52 AM   #572
cjfjapan

Likes (Received): 131

Quote:
Originally Posted by moochie View Post
While I agree that we could have done better, the new terminal is far nicer than most airports I've been in. the interior reminds me most of Amsterdam's Schiphol airport, but actually much nicer and with more and more impressive artwork. And the Dutch are very proud of Schiphol.

Thing about airports is that at the end of the day, it's still just an airport. A place that people want to leave as soon as possible. Most people wouldn't even notice if we had the best architecturally designed airport in the world.. at least from a cosmetic standpoint.
It is just an airport, but for many visitors it is their first and last impression of the city - and if Northworst decides to expand their mini-hub here, it could be some people's only impression of the city. Maybe that's not so important, but when flights are delayed, and you are spending 2, 4, 6 hours in a place, I would say it does matter. These places are the Union Stations of our day.
cjfjapan no está en línea  
Old May 18th, 2007, 05:37 AM   #573
KM1410

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by billionbucks View Post
There is nothing wrong with the terminal. Everyone always seems to find 100 problems with a single project.
Yeah, there is nothing wrong with the terminal. That doesn't make it good. That doesn't make it stand out. When you build a billion dollar, once in a lifetime project in a city, I would hope the city would aim higher than, theres nothing wrong with it.
KM1410 no está en línea  
Old May 18th, 2007, 06:19 AM   #574
billionbucks
Colts Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM1410 View Post
Yeah, there is nothing wrong with the terminal. That doesn't make it good. That doesn't make it stand out. When you build a billion dollar, once in a lifetime project in a city, I would hope the city would aim higher than, theres nothing wrong with it.
Ok. Become an architect and design the next one. In the meantime, I've been posting articles and video links about the unique art projects that will literally fill the entire terminal. In fact, our airport will be quite unique for the amount of art it will have. Personally, I'd be impressed with Indianapolis if I arrived to this.

video: http://www.newindianapolisairport.com/flythru.shtm
Really, if you watch that video and are not impressed, I'd like to know what you'd expect Indianapolis to build.

Last edited by billionbucks; May 18th, 2007 at 06:31 AM.
billionbucks no está en línea  
Old May 18th, 2007, 06:40 AM   #575
Indyman

Likes (Received): 4

I agree...and people are comparing this to the one in Madrid. Cmon people. I actually think that airport terminals really should be about functionality anyways, but the fact is our terminal and Madrid's dont look awfully different. Besides the bamboo roof and coloring whats the difference. Oh a post here and the roof undulates differently there. I think the fact is an airport terminal is largly an empty space filled with columns. Thats why we fill it with art...to bring some life and excitement to it. To most people who are not enthusiasts like our selves they say "seen one you seen em all" if they even take that much notice.
Old May 18th, 2007, 03:47 PM   #576
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

You know Moochie...the new IIA does remind me of Schipol, especially that front area of Schipol where you go down to catch the train to Centraal Station.

Don't get me wrong, I think the design is "nice" but it could have been so much more for a Billion Dollars!

I guess I was more directing my comments toward the library expansion. Yes, the building is sleek, but it is just boring to me. Couple that with all of the lack-luster projects downtown and you sense why I am a bit frustrated. Indy's development really is unrivaled in our little area..Cincy, Columbus, Lousiville, STL, Dayton, but we should be making bold statements with these projects and instead we seem to be stuck in "that's nice" mode.
Old May 18th, 2007, 04:26 PM   #577
Unionstation13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilson758 View Post
You know Moochie...the new IIA does remind me of Schipol, especially that front area of Schipol where you go down to catch the train to Centraal Station.

Don't get me wrong, I think the design is "nice" but it could have been so much more for a Billion Dollars!

I guess I was more directing my comments toward the library expansion. Yes, the building is sleek, but it is just boring to me. Couple that with all of the lack-luster projects downtown and you sense why I am a bit frustrated. Indy's development really is unrivaled in our little area..Cincy, Columbus, Lousiville, STL, Dayton, but we should be making bold statements with these projects and instead we seem to be stuck in "that's nice" mode.
I have already said this, the library expansion was designed to not be flashy or neat, it was designed for functionality, and to not take attention away from the historic library! Now, some other designs could be way better,(marriott...)
Old May 18th, 2007, 09:34 PM   #578
billionbucks
Colts Fan

Now thats something I will agree with. The library expansion has a complete lack of attetion to the preexisting structure. It does not go well together at all. The only thing I will give it are the big windows for beautiful views of the memorial mall and skyline. Is there an actual date when this thing will be finished, or have they given up on giving dates?

Last edited by billionbucks; May 18th, 2007 at 09:54 PM.
billionbucks no está en línea  
Old May 18th, 2007, 09:50 PM   #579
IndiexInxIndy
Fuck The Bullshit!

We'll Have To Agree To Disagree My Friend...

Quote:
Originally Posted by billionbucks View Post
Now thats something I will agree with. The library expansion has a complete lack of attetion to the preexisting structure. It does not go well together at all. The only thing I will give it, is the big windows for beautiful views of the memorial mall and skyline.

I honest think it looks quite lovely... Of course it's not the most awe-inspired library ever built but still. It looks nice, make that real nice! And it complements the existing library in a modern sense. I mean would you rather have had some faux-pas library built? The fake kind of "early 20th century" style they are building in Carmel... I didnt think so. Or @least i hope not!
Old May 18th, 2007, 10:03 PM   #580
Unionstation13

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiexInxIndy View Post
I honest think it looks quite lovely... Of course it's not the most awe-inspired library ever built but still. It looks nice, make that real nice! And it complements the existing library in a modern sense. I mean would you rather have had some faux-pas library built? The fake kind of "early 20th century" style they are building in Carmel... I didnt think so. Or @least i hope not!
I find those fake 20th century buildings quite tasteful!
But this is better then a fake looking wanna be structure. Of cours, a radical design that screamed "LOOK AT ME" would totally insult the library and the sorounding jewls. We could use a "look at me" structure, but with things like this, it is better to leave the attention to the jewl, aka the original library.

Closed Thread