daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old April 24th, 2007, 01:31 AM   #41
Wu-Gambino

Likes (Received): 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablerock View Post
You've got to be kidding.

Consider the following visual aid...

equalsimage hosted on flickr

equalsimage hosted on flickr

It's tacky.

It's schizophrenic.

It's not inappropriate, it's bad.

The windows are horrible, the arches are horrible, the atrium is horrible, the awnings are horrible, the half-balcony is horrible, and the drive-through is especially, undeniably, and will forever be, horrible.
Agreed, I think the Zipper Building was tacky in a good sense. It's something you don't see everyday: unique yet ugly (like the Barton Building). The new facade? Hell no, this looks like something you would see in Avon.
Wu-Gambino no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old April 24th, 2007, 02:17 AM   #42
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

Not really, its not like those disney land copies, its just a more traditional influenced building that uses alot of fancier details. Either way its gonna be there, so might aswell stop bitching about it, I dont bitch about the city county building(anymore..)
Old April 24th, 2007, 02:40 AM   #43
Unionstation13

ah ohwell, I am still waiting for the marriott hotel.
Moochie, I assume Penn tower will be older looking.
Old April 24th, 2007, 02:50 AM   #44
Unionstation13

Is the penn tower supposed to be like the LOS? With more aged looking brick?
Is there any pictures avaliable of it yet?
Old April 24th, 2007, 03:19 AM   #45
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 463

I just don't understand what you guys saw in the Zipper Building. EVEN IF something in the architecture struck a chord with you -- personally, I thought it was hideous -- it did jack shit for the area. And need I point out that the Zipper Building also had a clock on it? I think the new one is a nod to that.
CorrND no está en línea  
Old April 24th, 2007, 03:51 AM   #46
cjfjapan

Likes (Received): 131

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweezerinc View Post
I think the main point here is why are so many people saying "OH WELL better than before!"
I agree that this is the main point of contention - certainly, I don't think any of us really liked the Zipper, even though it at least was unique. But the argument that this is "good enough" or "better" rather than plain "good" is what bothers me. We all need to have higher standards - whether we prefer stone and brick or modernism, etc ad nauseum. I don't think anyone would have put this kind of design on that corner. We need something good there, and this my friends, is not it.
cjfjapan no está en línea  
Old April 24th, 2007, 03:56 AM   #47
Wu-Gambino

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrND View Post
I just don't understand what you guys saw in the Zipper Building. EVEN IF something in the architecture struck a chord with you -- personally, I thought it was hideous -- it did jack shit for the area. And need I point out that the Zipper Building also had a clock on it? I think the new one is a nod to that.
Once you reclad this building, it looses any significance/originality. I don't see the point in reclading a three story structure and how that would be beneficial to the area. They should've added on to it or demolished it and built something new.
Old April 24th, 2007, 04:23 AM   #48
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naptown View Post
Once you reclad this building, it looses any significance/originality. I don't see the point in reclading a three story structure and how that would be beneficial to the area. They should've added on to it or demolished it and built something new.
Fair enough, I agree they probably shouldn't have sunk $8.1M into a silly 3-story building. But looking at what they DID do, how is adding a bank and other ground-level retail NOT an improvement? You could put 17 stories of condos on top of that building but it wouldn't have any more retail.
CorrND no está en línea  
Old April 24th, 2007, 04:32 AM   #49
Wu-Gambino

^ But a drive through? Granted it was done better than I expected, but it is still a drive through. I agree ground level retail is an improvement, but they could have easily kept the old facade and put in retail.
Old April 24th, 2007, 04:37 AM   #50
CorrND
Moderator Chris

UNCLE! Ok, I concede, it's not the greatest project. I just don't think it's all bad. 50+ posts is probably more than enough on this topic.
CorrND no está en línea  
Old April 24th, 2007, 04:42 AM   #51
Wu-Gambino

Agreed, I'm done with this.
Old April 24th, 2007, 04:45 AM   #52
Wu-Gambino

BTW - I've been thinking about this for quite some time: would anyone be interested in a forum meet? It seems we have twenty or so forumers from Indy, maybe we could get together on a Saturday afternoon in June or July. Would anyone be interested in that?
Old April 24th, 2007, 04:50 AM   #53
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

Likes (Received): 5

A meet-up would surely be interesting. There should be some kind of "plan" in place first, though.

Or, we could just all walk around the Circle yelling each other's usernames so that we can identify each other. Let's just hope no one gets stopped by the police for yelling "MOOCHIE" or "CORRND" at the top of their lungs!

Last edited by NaptownBoy; April 24th, 2007 at 05:02 AM.
NaptownBoy no está en línea  
Old April 24th, 2007, 04:59 AM   #54
CorrND
Moderator Chris

I'd be up for meeting this summer. We could meet at the Indiana War Memorial and then walk to the Rathskeller for a beer!
CorrND no está en línea  
Old April 24th, 2007, 05:12 AM   #55
LouisvilleGuy05

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjfjapan View Post
back on topic, this is really hideous. like it belongs in Dothan, AL, or Jonesboro , AR. Is this really going to sit on one of the best corners in the city?

wow, that doesn't look like a very urban building at all! You are right, it is straight out of small town main street USA. Hopefully Indy has better luck with their next project!
LouisvilleGuy05 no está en línea  
Old April 24th, 2007, 05:18 AM   #56
Wu-Gambino

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrND View Post
I'd be up for meeting this summer. We could meet at the Indiana War Memorial and then walk to the Rathskeller for a beer!
I think we might need name tags, as for beer, I'm a bit young for that.
Old April 24th, 2007, 05:51 AM   #57
icahn
icahn sm,cali

Likes (Received): 0

ugly does not do it justice

Well said ablerock. The proposed Broadbent facade of the former zipper building is one of the worst pieces of dreck design (don't even call it architecture) that your fair city has seen in years. A city that passes up a chance to build a once-in-a-generation Class A Hotel (Intercontinental) and supports and breeds this kind of crap, deserves the rotten, bland, conservative, ill-nostalgic, retrofitted mish-mash, meaningless Disneyesque architecture that seems to thrive in Indy and seems to deserve. So many missed opportunities and over and over it's the same trash. If I worked on that project, I'd have my name removed out of shame. Anyone who cannot see why it is so terrible needs to pick up a book - atleast The Idiots Guide to Architecture.
icahn no está en línea  
Old April 24th, 2007, 05:58 AM   #58
eweezerinc
President of Catan

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaptownBoy View Post
Let's just hope no one gets stopped by the police for yelling "MOOCHIE" or "CORRND" at the top of their lungs!

The visual is humorous.
There ARE a lot of you all. Maybe you guys could have t-shirts printed out that say something clever like... "SSC: Indy eats KC for breakfeast." You know, have them sent out. It'd be like a field trip. Bag lunches and everything.
Old April 24th, 2007, 06:01 AM   #59
unvrsty07

Likes (Received): 116

^ LOL. Agreed we do need to meet up and I am all for it! Anybody wanting to be a leader to organize it??
unvrsty07 no está en línea  
Old April 24th, 2007, 06:11 AM   #60
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by icahn View Post
Well said ablerock. The proposed Broadbent facade of the former zipper building is one of the worst pieces of dreck design (don't even call it architecture) that your fair city has seen in years. A city that passes up a chance to build a once-in-a-generation Class A Hotel (Intercontinental) and supports and breeds this kind of crap, deserves the rotten, bland, conservative, ill-nostalgic, retrofitted mish-mash, meaningless Disneyesque architecture that seems to thrive in Indy and seems to deserve. So many missed opportunities and over and over it's the same trash. If I worked on that project, I'd have my name removed out of shame. Anyone who cannot see why it is so terrible needs to pick up a book - atleast The Idiots Guide to Architecture.
Calm down, dude. It isn't as bad as you all are making it out to be. I actually kind of like the design.
NaptownBoy no está en línea  

Closed Thread