daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old May 18th, 2007, 10:16 PM   #581
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 463

Quote:
Originally Posted by billionbucks View Post
Now thats something I will agree with. The library expansion has a complete lack of attetion to the preexisting structure. It does not go well together at all. The only thing I will give it are the big windows for beautiful views of the memorial mall and skyline. Is there an actual date when this thing will be finished, or have they given up on giving dates?
I don't think a firm date has been announced, but when things really got back on track last summer, they made this announcement:

July 20, 2006

Due to significant recent construction progress, the Indianapolis-Marion County Public Library Board of Trustees has announced that the projected opening to the public of the transformed Central Library downtown has been moved up by approximately six months, and is now scheduled for the end of 2007.

http://www.imcpl.org/about/news/pres...rojection.html
CorrND no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old May 18th, 2007, 10:43 PM   #582
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

the end of 2007?!!! wtf?!!
That better be one damn good library!
Old May 19th, 2007, 12:24 AM   #583
Indyman

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by billionbucks View Post
Now thats something I will agree with. The library expansion has a complete lack of attetion to the preexisting structure. It does not go well together at all. The only thing I will give it are the big windows for beautiful views of the memorial mall and skyline. Is there an actual date when this thing will be finished, or have they given up on giving dates?

Whats going to be in the middle connecting structure. The one with the arced white structures.
Old May 19th, 2007, 12:27 AM   #584
Unionstation13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyman View Post
Whats going to be in the middle connecting structure. The one with the arced white structures.
its says on the website that a cafe, computers, information desks, etc will go there. Its really quite attractive in the sketch, very nice design, and what I love is how they are keeping the stone walls of the back there, it will make it alot cooler!
Old May 19th, 2007, 05:03 AM   #585
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Likes (Received): 14

At SSP they have meets all the time. Has there been there one with SSC? I realize IndiexInxIndy is only 17 and the most animated of the bunch. Hook up somewhere like the circle and maybe do din din at McDonalds (sorry IndiexInxIndy, no booze ) I for one would like to meet the forumers here. As a long time SSP member there isn't much going on over there. Cory, Unionstation, Moochie, any ideas? The only prerequisitive is that you bring a camera.

Last edited by mobyhead; May 19th, 2007 at 05:18 AM.
mobyhead no está en línea  
Old May 19th, 2007, 05:17 AM   #586
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

Likes (Received): 5

I'll save my opinions about the new airport terminal until I actually use it. At this point I'm indifferent in terms of its design and layout. Now, Moochie made a good point earlier concerning the more personal impact of the new terminal--I doubt anyone would give a flying **** how aesthetically pleasing our airport is if they're running late for their flight.

I like the library expansion, aside from the hundreds of delays and mishaps of course. I think that the bold combination between the old and new wings of the library works surprisingly well. My only concern is whether or not the steel cladding will erode from years of snow and rainfall.
NaptownBoy no está en línea  
Old May 19th, 2007, 06:35 AM   #587
IndyBob

Likes (Received): 0

Having just returned from Europe, the recent JW design rendering is especially painful to see. I saw a rendering of the hotel one month ago that I thought was more intersting and was at least 10 stories taller. So, in the last month they went with a more boring, shorter design. I was holding out hope that we would at least have a 400+ footer. The current design is suburban and belongs in Keystone at the Crossing. There is nothing to like about this design. For Indy to move ahead, it cannot settle for mediocrity - and this design isn't even mediocre. The street-level design is hideous. The should have hired Hoss. His Sketchup design is better than that crap. They could have paid him $100k, saved a ton of architecture fees (although they probably used a junior architect), and he would have been real happy.
IndyBob no está en línea  
Old May 19th, 2007, 07:28 AM   #588
Unionstation13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobyhead View Post
At SSP they have meets all the time. Has there been there one with SSC? I realize IndiexInxIndy is only 17 and the most animated of the bunch. Hook up somewhere like the circle and maybe do din din at McDonalds (sorry IndiexInxIndy, no booze ) I for one would like to meet the forumers here. As a long time SSP member there isn't much going on over there. Cory, Unionstation, Moochie, any ideas? The only prerequisitive is that you bring a camera.

As great as this idea sounds, how many forumers are really compfertable with meeting up with people they have never met? I wont be able to go, mainly because I am not compfertable with the idea. But thats just me, if you all wish to go meet up, go right ahead!
Old May 19th, 2007, 03:35 PM   #589
Wu-Gambino

Likes (Received): 109

+ + =

Anyone else agree?
Wu-Gambino no está en línea  
Old May 19th, 2007, 03:55 PM   #590
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unionstation13 View Post
As great as this idea sounds, how many forumers are really compfertable with meeting up with people they have never met? I wont be able to go, mainly because I am not compfertable with the idea. But thats just me, if you all wish to go meet up, go right ahead!
Yes you are probably right. I'm sort of creepy.
Old May 19th, 2007, 04:58 PM   #591
Unionstation13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobyhead View Post
Yes you are probably right. I'm sort of creepy.
I'm sure alot of you are really nice,
but after watching that thing on 60 minutes,
Old May 19th, 2007, 07:28 PM   #592
eweezerinc
President of Catan

Likes (Received): 11

People do forum meets all the time on here. I think they're terribly exciting.
Old May 19th, 2007, 10:10 PM   #593
Indyman

Likes (Received): 4

Hmm count me out on a meet. Transportation plus age come into play. Id say Im the youngest of the bunch, only 16. Granted, Im mostly a lurker and not much of a regular poster anyways.
Old May 20th, 2007, 07:24 PM   #594
cityfan

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naptown View Post
+ + =

Anyone else agree?

I agree. However, I think what's worse is the line of 4 flat, all-too-similar hotels right in a row downtown. It's almost like one big joke.
cityfan no está en línea  
Old May 20th, 2007, 10:24 PM   #595
hoosier

Likes (Received): 53

I don't have a problem with the design. Of its peer cities, Indy is the best in terms of downtown development. LOS, 3Mass, the JW Marriott, IUPUI construction, the OMS proposal...

And I don't have a problem with a forum meet-up either. I am a harmless guy (unless you try to **** with me, then I'll kick yor ass). We would be meting downtown, not in some dark, obscure, out-of-the-way place.
hoosier no está en línea  
Old May 20th, 2007, 11:47 PM   #596
Unionstation13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
I don't have a problem with the design. Of its peer cities, Indy is the best in terms of downtown development. LOS, 3Mass, the JW Marriott, IUPUI construction, the OMS proposal...

And I don't have a problem with a forum meet-up either. I am a harmless guy (unless you try to **** with me, then I'll kick yor ass). We would be meting downtown, not in some dark, obscure, out-of-the-way place.
we could meet in a parking garage
Old May 21st, 2007, 01:32 AM   #597
MCC
Made in Indy

Likes (Received): 20

Hey on what day is the meet planned?

Last edited by MCC; May 21st, 2007 at 01:45 AM.
MCC no está en línea  
Old May 21st, 2007, 03:48 PM   #598
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

^ No meet, confidence is too low. On a positive note. Cranes are now in place at One Indiana Square this morning. Looks like they are off and running with this new curtain wall. Yay!!!!!!!!!!
Old May 21st, 2007, 04:35 PM   #599
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unionstation13 View Post
we could meet in a parking garage
How about the one on Market Street where that woman was abducted several months back. I hear there is inadequete lighting and no cameras.
Old May 21st, 2007, 04:46 PM   #600
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

Did I not just read a post by Moochies that the cranes were up at One Indiana Sq?

What type of cranes?

Closed Thread