daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old May 21st, 2007, 04:52 PM   #601
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilson758 View Post
Did I not just read a post by Moochies that the cranes were up at One Indiana Sq?

What type of cranes?
It's a yellow crane. R H Marlin is the name I believe. They are lifting black rolls of tarp or roofing-type materials to the 5th floor deck. Also there is a core drilling truck from Madison, Indiana. My understanding is more heavy equipment will be used in the North surface lots. Now they need to find spots for all the monthly parkers that use these 2 lots.

Last edited by mobyhead; May 21st, 2007 at 04:58 PM.
mobyhead no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old May 21st, 2007, 05:25 PM   #602
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobyhead View Post
How about the one on Market Street where that woman was abducted several months back. I hear there is inadequete lighting and no cameras.
oh that sounds excellent
Old May 21st, 2007, 05:56 PM   #603
Unionstation13

I was riding with a friend, we drove through the chatham arch area, past that one abandoned church that has no churchtower, and then we drove down, went to fountian square, yadadadada, but going into fletcher, and we know how that church on the avenue has no steeple, shouldent new developers look into reconstructing the churchtowers? They just look like platforms, and it would probably restore character to the churches, and some to the neighborhoods aswell.
Old May 21st, 2007, 06:27 PM   #604
unvrsty07

Likes (Received): 116

A couple of updates, the building at Capitol and Michigan is coming along nicely, all of the windows are installed and the wood on the ground floor is being removed (This building turned out really sharp btw). The Life Science building at the head of the canal looks to have reached its peak height of 5-6 floors, and our suburbia Dora Hotels are on floor 2 and 3 respectively. The IUPUI Campus Center has started putting up the glass curtain on the front and I believe has a Spring 08 opening date (btw, this building is really really sharp, probably the most modern building in the city u/c). Driving into dt from the west side on washington then along White River Parkway into IUPUI is very impressive if you want to see all of the cranes that are up through out dt. I saw 6-7 cranes outside of the LOS project dt, so it is good to see infill taking shape.

This fall Indianapolis will see some monumental progress in the city: 1. Indy's first modern home owner redsidential towers will begin construction 2. A 1,000 room hotel will begin construction 3. ParamountTowers is to begin Construction (hopefully this will spark a small entertainment/party area)
4. The Cosmopolitan is slated to break ground along the canal providing 200 upscale apartments, canal and street level retail 5. The "other" canal project is slated to begin that was bidded on by four developers. 6. Three Mass Ave will continue construction and probably start to rise out of the ground. 7. Exterior construction of LOS is slated to be finished leaving only the roof and interior decor. 8. Hopefully, a late fall Penn Tower ground breaking???

These are just some of the things I noticed today after class dt.
unvrsty07 no está en línea  
Old May 21st, 2007, 06:31 PM   #605
Unionstation13

Quote:
Originally Posted by unvrsty07 View Post
A couple of updates, the building at Capitol and Michigan is coming along nicely, all of the windows are installed and the wood on the ground floor is being removed (This building turned out really sharp btw). The Life Science building at the head of the canal looks to have reached its peak height of 5-6 floors, and our suburbia Dora Hotels are on floor 2 and 3 respectively. The IUPUI Campus Center has started putting up the glass curtain on the front and I believe has a Spring 08 opening date (btw, this building is really really sharp, probably the most modern building in the city u/c). Driving into dt from the west side on washington then along White River Parkway into IUPUI is very impressive if you want to see all of the cranes that are up through out dt. I saw 6-7 cranes outside of the LOS project dt, so it is good to see infill taking shape.

This fall Indianapolis will see some monumental progress in the city: 1. Indy's first modern home owner redsidential towers will begin construction 2. A 1,000 room hotel will begin construction 3. ParamountTowers is to begin Construction (hopefully this will spark a small entertainment/party area)
4. The Cosmopolitan is slated to break ground along the canal providing 200 upscale apartments, canal and street level retail 5. The "other" canal project is slated to begin that was bidded on by four developers. 6. Three Mass Ave will continue construction and probably start to rise out of the ground. 7. Exterior construction of LOS is slated to be finished leaving only the roof and interior decor. 8. Hopefully, a late fall Penn Tower ground breaking???

sorry, but what are the paramount towers?
Old May 21st, 2007, 06:39 PM   #606
unvrsty07

Well, I may be incorrect but I thought they were the student targeted apartments. 12 stories? Along with 600 units and in the shape of an... "H"
Old May 21st, 2007, 07:51 PM   #607
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 463

Quote:
Originally Posted by unvrsty07 View Post

Nice roundup! It's pretty impressive when they're all lined up like that. And if you're listing all the big/tall projects, don't forget about the continuing construction of the 100 condos at Lockerbie Park, 164 apartments at The Waverley and the 8-story 707 North East Street Condos.

I snapped some pictures of Fairbanks Hall yesterday ("The Life Science building at the head of the canal"). I'll try to post them later.
CorrND no está en línea  
Old May 21st, 2007, 08:24 PM   #608
Indywatch

Likes (Received): 0

Originally Posted by unvrsty07
PHP Code:
........This fall Indianapolis will see some monumental progress in the city1. Indy's first modern home owner redsidential towers will begin construction......... 
Which project are you referring to here as sub-point #1.?
Indywatch no está en línea  
Old May 21st, 2007, 08:50 PM   #609
unvrsty07

Well I was referring to Market Square as a condo tower, I know riley and others in the 12-14, but this will be the first "modern" mixed-use residential "tower"
Old May 21st, 2007, 08:58 PM   #610
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 463

When I first read the headline, I thought the Historical Society wanted to preserve the parking lot! Hliarious!

I say let the president into the meetings but remind him (a) that there's a huge state-owned parking garage 1 block away and (b) that his society has zero purview in this matter.

Historical Society wary of losing lot
By Jeff Swiatek

The Indiana Historical Society's president says he wants to be included in talks with the state over possibly turning over part of the group's parking lot to a hotel developer.

A Wichita, Kan., company proposes to use part of the society's parking lot for a hotel that would span the Downtown Canal on state-owned land.

The society rents the 130-space lot next to its headquarters, 450 W. Ohio St., for visitors to use, says its president, John Herbst.

The lot is accessible from New York Street.

"It's very important for our programming" and for performing arts groups and others that use the society's building, he said today.

The Indiana Finance Authority is scrutinizing four bids to develop a vacant one-acre site the state and city own on the east side of the canal.

The Kansas developer wants the society's parking lot on the west side to be thrown into the bidding as well.
CorrND no está en línea  
Old May 22nd, 2007, 12:03 AM   #611
IndiexInxIndy
Fuck The Bullshit!

NEED more info on this!

A project with 132 townhomes and a retail strip called Creekside Shoppes would be built along 86th Street just west of Michigan Road. The plan calls for retail fronting 86th Street and townhomes to the south. Mann bought the roughly 20-acre site this month and still must seek zoning approval.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 12:27 AM   #612
unvrsty07

Well, Corr I realize there are other large projects going on, however that post you refernce was only listing items that were going to BEGIN construction in the fall. With the exception of LOS and 3Mass Ave. (just wanted to clarify)

So, I realize there are multiple other large projects going on currently, but these are the ones STARTING THIS FALL! Very exciting if they can all come to fruition. They may not all be tall or glamorous, but at least there is development instead of demolition taking place in the outerparts of the core and not just the very center.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 12:58 AM   #613
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

IUPUI is becoming very impressive when you drive along Michigan Avenue. That Campus Center is going to be a real visual treat and I wish that it had been there when I attended. I know that once this project is completed, IUPUI has plans for the last remaining surface lot between Michigan And New York (?).

Although we don't have a lot of "true" highrises u/c, Indy truely is booming in and around downtown. If we land the SuperBowl, I would suspect that a number of additional restaurants and bars would be heading downtown.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 01:02 AM   #614
Unionstation13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilson758 View Post
IUPUI is becoming very impressive when you drive along Michigan Avenue. That Campus Center is going to be a real visual treat and I wish that it had been there when I attended. I know that once this project is completed, IUPUI has plans for the last remaining surface lot between Michigan And New York (?).
IUPUI, does alot for downtown, it brings alot of younger population downtown.
and not to mention all the extra space it fills up. It has a very nice campus.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 01:03 AM   #615
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

Likes (Received): 5

We'll find out who gets to host the 2011 Super Bowl tomorrow. I am excited and hopeful that Indy has made an effective argument but honestly, I could see this one swaying either way.
NaptownBoy no está en línea  
Old May 22nd, 2007, 01:10 AM   #616
Unionstation13

Heres the fletcher church before it was painted or something, with its tower and iron work on the other part.

I think they should restore the church to this glory, or atleast rebuild its tower.
If we do get the superbowl, that would rule,
amagine how much development would spill into the city!

Last edited by Unionstation13; May 22nd, 2007 at 01:22 AM.
Unionstation13 no está en línea  
Old May 22nd, 2007, 01:48 AM   #617
cwilson758
Cory

you make a valid point about capital investment for big projects...(cough)...mass transit! I really think that it will translate into "you know, Indianapolis really has made the transition to big city."
Old May 22nd, 2007, 01:53 AM   #618
cwilson758
Cory

From Forbes.com

Indy Confident About 2011 Super Bowl Bid
Associated Press

As NFL owners prepare to pick the host city for the 2011 Super Bowl, city leaders in Indianapolis said they are confident they have lined up the amenities and funds necessary to make a strong pitch for the championship game.

Deputy Mayor Steve Campbell said the city's bid committee will be able to raise $20 million to $25 million before next week's owners' meeting in Nashville, Tenn.

"When we make our presentation, we'll have it in hand," Campbell said Thursday.

He declined to give the amount of money raised, saying the committee didn't want the competition to have that information.

Indianapolis is vying for the 2011 game with Phoenix, next year's Super Bowl host, and Dallas, where an 80,000-seat stadium is scheduled to open in 2009. The Cowboys have said their venue in suburban Arlington could accommodate up to 100,000 for a Super Bowl.

No other aspiring host city had raised the funds needed to host the NFL's biggest game before the owners' meeting, committee president Fred Glass said.

Several large donors have pledged their support for the Indianapolis bid, which highlights the city's experience hosting large sporting events and a new football stadium slated to open next year.

Lucas Oil president Forrest Lucas, who paid $120 million to put his name on the Colts' new stadium, and Colts owner Jim Irsay each announced they would contribute $1 million to the effort. Drugmaker Eli Lilly & Co. promised $2.5 million. Glass' employer, the law firm Baker & Daniels, also agreed to kick in $500,000.

"We're pleased with the way the business community has stepped up," Campbell said.

On Tuesday, developers unveiled updated plans for a 1,000-room JW Marriott hotel complex, which is also one of the linchpins of the city's bid. The NFL requires a city hosting the Super Bowl to have some 25,000 hotel rooms.

"We certainly have been able to meet the mark and exceed it as well - to the surprise of the NFL, but certainly not to us," said Bob Schultz, a spokesman for the Indianapolis Convention and Visitors Association.

Schultz said the city has signed contracts for more than 35,000 hotel rooms within the required distance of Lucas Oil Stadium, the retractable-roof field that is scheduled to open before the Colts' 2008 season. He also said the city has identified venues where off-field events can be staged, including the Eiteljorg Museum and The Children's Museum of Indianapolis.

Schultz declined to further elaborate on the city's plans.

"We want to keep some of those cards close to the vest because of the competitive nature of the bid," he said.

League officials traditionally have chosen warm-weather cities for the Super Bowl, although Detroit and Minneapolis, which have domed stadiums, have hosted it.

"We recognize we have formidable competition here with Dallas and with Phoenix - two other great destinations," Schultz said. "We know it will not be an easy decision by the owners, but it will be one that we know we can deliver on."

Copyright 2007 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed
Old May 22nd, 2007, 02:04 AM   #619
cwilson758
Cory

from USAToday:
NFL owners to discuss draft, Super Bowl

Jim Irsay, owner of the Indianapolis Colts, talks with reporters at the NFL owners' meeting in Nashville, Tenn. Monday, May 21, 2007. Irsay talked about the bid by Indianapolis to host the 2011 Super Bowl. (AP Photo/Mark Humphrey)

By Teresa M. Walker, AP Sports Writer
NASHVILLE, Tenn. — If Titans coach Jeff Fisher had a vote, he'd favor trimming some time off the draft. Fisher, co-chair of the NFL's rules committee, won't be part of the NFL owners' talks Tuesday with commissioner Roger Goodell about shortening selection times in the first and second rounds of the league's draft. But he has been part of discussions with Goodell about picking up the pace on draft day.
"I think we could arrive at a good number of minutes whether it be 10 for the first round or seven for the second. I think it would work. I would be willing to give it a shot," Fisher said Monday.

The topic of trimming the current 15 minutes for a first-round selection and 10 during the second came up only days after the NFL endured its longest first round ever last month -- 6 hours, 8 minutes.

Goodell called members of the competition committee, and the committee has had a few conference calls on the subject. The commissioner will discuss the topic with NFL owners at their spring meeting in Nashville, a few miles from the Titans' headquarters.

"Teams just typically use all their time, and I don't think it would affect your ability to execute trades, not only picks, but also players," Fisher said. "That's the thing that's being examined right now. "

FIND MORE STORIES IN: NFL | Super Bowl | Nashville | INDIANAPOLIS | Indianapolis Colts | Titans | Arizona Cardinals | Tony Dungy | Jeff Fisher | Mark Humphrey
This one-day meeting is for owners only. A final decision on trimming the draft isn't expected Tuesday.

The owners will have a major vote on the agenda. They will award the 2011 Super Bowl to Indianapolis, North Texas or Glendale, Ariz., which is hosting the game Feb. 3 in the Arizona Cardinals' new stadium.

Tampa hosts in 2009 followed by a return to South Florida in 2010.

Indianapolis and North Texas are the favorites, and both are tapping into star power to make the 15-minute pitch to owners Tuesday morning, with Colts coach Tony Dungy and Hall of Famer Roger Staubach, chairman of the Texas committee.

Dungy will be joined by Tony George, chief executive officer of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, and Tom Jernstedt, executive vice president of the NCAA.

"Tony obviously is such a great representative for our franchise and the league, but so is Roger," Colts owner Jim Irsay said.

"It's going to be competitive just like all of our games, and I know whoever gets it is going to be a deserving city. And we can't forget Arizona as well. I think they're very much in the mix as well. It's going to be competitive, and we're just going to do our best and hope things turn out our way."

Indianapolis is using cash, at least $20 million already committed, and touting the city's history of hosting Final Fours, the Indianapolis 500 and the new domed stadium that opens before the 2008 season.

North Texas will counter with a stadium opening in 2009 that can seat up to 100,000 in the Dallas area. Staubach was flying in Monday night, and he isn't ready to call it a two-bid race with Arizona trying to add a third Super Bowl. Tempe hosted in 1996.

"I'm not privy to say how much they're in the running, but Indy definitely will be formidable," Staubach said.

"We're really going to have the best bid. I really believe that based on the resources we have to be able to deliver the bid."

But Irsay has been lobbying his fellow owners, even reminding them the vote is on this agenda. He reminded reporters the Colts will be going into their 40th season under the Irsay family's ownership in 2011, and that Indianapolis failed on its previous bid, losing out to Minneapolis for 1992.

"You have to be a good partner over the years, and I think that's the biggest part about what I think will get us over the hump is it is our time and we have waited our turn," Irsay said.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 02:21 AM   #620
billionbucks
Colts Fan

Indy Zoo ready to open Oceans exhibit

The Indianapolis Zoo is getting ready to make a big splash this weekend with a new exhibit called "Oceans."

They've spent over $9,000,000 to transform the World of Waters building into "Oceans" so they can offer visitors unique interactions with animals from the sea.

"A lot of people in Indiana never get a chance to get to the ocean, never have a chance to see a shark out in the wild," said Laurie Christie from the Indianapolis Zoo.

After the Indianapolis Zoo's new Ocean exhibit opens Memorial Day Weekend, zoo visitors will not only be able to see sharks, but to touch them too.

The zoo has collected over two dozen smooth dogfish sharks that will now swim in the world's largest shark touch pool.

The dogsharks are getting used to their new home, so they might not immediately swim up to you. "The first couple of weeks, they may be a little bit shy with crowds in here, but as they start to settle down and they get used to the noise, and get used to the visitors in here, they all keep coming up and around," said Christie.

Although sharks usually bring fear, these dogsharks are not dangerous. "They have rounded, flattened teeth, so they're not going to bite you," said Christie.

In addition to the shark touch pool, the Oceans exhibit features new bonnet-head sharks. The seahorses are back, and in the penguin exhibit, there's a new transparent floor so visitors can watch the penguins zip through the water from above.

Zoo officials want visitors close to these creatures, so Hoosiers will know that we're connected to this underwater environment.

"Everything that goes into our rivers eventually ends up in the Atlantic or in the Gulf of Mexico, so depending on where in the state you live, our pollution can affect these guys," said Christie.

The zoo exhibit aims to engage visitors emotionally and physically, causing them to want to better the environment for the world we share with these animals.

Hopefully, many Indianapolis Zoo guests will agree with 5-year-old Ryan Datillo. "This is really cool. This is the most amazing thing I've ever seen," Ryan said.

Closed Thread