daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools
Old May 22nd, 2007, 03:44 PM   #641
CorrND
Moderator Chris
 
CorrND's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 2,493
Likes (Received): 463

I was looking at emporis last night and was surprised to see that the Riley Hospital tower expansion is going to be the 29th tallest building in town (64m, 210'). 29th isn't anything to write home about, but it will probably look more impressive given that it's pretty far from the core and there's nothing of much height around it.

Also, two restaurant tidbits from Indianapolis Monthly's The Dish:

Wild Wings Taking Flight

Fans of downtown’s Buffalo Wild Wings (15 E. Maryland St., 916-9464) might be sad to hear that the place will serve its last wing on Race Day—at least as Buffalo Wild Wings. Take heart: Owner Mike DeWeese (who’s run the place for almost a decade) is opening a new restaurant in its place, the independently owned Bada Boomz. The stellar beer list will remain, DeWeese promises, but the décor and the menu will get a full makeover.

File Under “We’ll Believe it When We See it …”

We checked in with Amanda Cravens, the director of operations for the loooooong- awaited (and long-delayed) Buggs Temple (337 W. 11th St.), who says that the Buggs project is “about six weeks out.” The gorgeous old building on the canal was set to open last summer with a Ritter’s Frozen Custard, Cornerstone Coffee, and two restaurants (one casual and one upscale); that's still the plan, and Craven hopes for an opening by the Fourth of July.
CorrND no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old May 22nd, 2007, 04:37 PM   #642
Unionstation13
Registered User
 
Unionstation13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Indianapolis/Lafayette
Posts: 3,439
Likes (Received): 37

Buggs temple is a great building with alot of character, it will also bring much needed restruant life into the canal area. Thanks arenn for the pictures,
the cultural trail is going fast, I hope that it links the neighborhoods together,
it will probably bring much needed charm to areas, but I wish they extended it into cottage place and the Old north.
__________________
Peter- "Geesh, Meg is in there taking a nap under water!".
Unionstation13 no está en línea  
Old May 22nd, 2007, 05:00 PM   #643
cwilson758
Cory
 
cwilson758's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: San Francisco via Indianapolis
Posts: 3,403
Likes (Received): 15

Here is the Metro Airport Video:

http://www.wthr.com/global/video/pop...dTag=Promotion 22&activePane=info&playerVersion=9&hostPageUrl=http%3A//www.wthr.com/Global/category.asp%3FC%3D84521%26nav%3Dmenu188_2_11&rnd=24509427
__________________
"Indianapolis has the reputation of a shark striking when other cities sleep."
cwilson758 no está en línea  
Old May 22nd, 2007, 05:10 PM   #644
ablerock
Registered User
 
ablerock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Fountain Square - Naptown
Posts: 1,900
Likes (Received): 29

An article in the Star today gives details about a new enclosed multi-purpose athletic facility to be built if Indianapolis wins the 2011 Superbowl bid:

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...AL18/705220405

"...part of the plan that would create access to new athletic facilities for IPS is driven by an NFL requirement that the city provide comparable practice sites for the two Super Bowl teams.

The AFC champions would practice at the Colts' training complex, but no other high-quality indoor football venue exists in the city.

As a solution, Indianapolis 2011 Inc. would pay to build a permanent, enclosed, multipurpose athletic center on the campus of Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis.

Part of the adjacent Natatorium at IUPUI would be renovated and linked to the new venue, allowing players on the NFC team to use the locker rooms, showers and other facilities there.

The sports "bubble" would be turned over to IU after the Super Bowl, with the caveat that it be available for use by IPS students.

In addition, in cooperation with IU, field turf would be installed in an existing stadium along White River on the IUPUI campus. Under the plan, the university would make the stadium available as the home field for all IPS high school football teams.

Indianapolis 2011 Inc. President Fred Glass declined to discuss specifics about the city's proposal -- including the practice facility -- in advance of today's presentation. But the bid committee wrote that the stadium would help put IPS students on the same footing as their peers in more affluent suburban communities, where schools often have modern, all-weather facilities.

"We share Superintendent Eugene White's vision of an IPS that can offer the same high quality to its students as other area school systems, both academically and athletically," Indianapolis 2011 Inc. wrote.

It is unclear what the facilities would cost, though the total is expected to be several million dollars. Indianapolis 2011 Inc. has secured private pledges to cover the cost of putting on a Super Bowl, which is expected to be $20 million to $25 million."




Anyone care to speculate about a specific location? I say it's bye-bye tennis courts. (The Natatorium is NW of the oval NIFS building in the center of the image.)



I love how blue White River is this time of year.
ablerock no está en línea  
Old May 22nd, 2007, 05:25 PM   #645
Unionstation13
Registered User
 
Unionstation13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Indianapolis/Lafayette
Posts: 3,439
Likes (Received): 37

when do they decide who gets the superbowl?
I have faith that Indy has a really good chance. Compared to fort worthe,
we have everything in walking distance, it is in downtown, and there are near by clubs, restruants, shopping, hotels, museums, landmarks, etc.
It may be cold, but people wont have to drive everywhere to get things.
__________________
Peter- "Geesh, Meg is in there taking a nap under water!".
Unionstation13 no está en línea  
Old May 22nd, 2007, 05:36 PM   #646
IndiexInxIndy
Fuck The Bullshit!
 
IndiexInxIndy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: iNdY!
Posts: 437
Likes (Received): 0

Quick Question!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablerock View Post
An article in the Star today gives details about a new enclosed multi-purpose athletic facility to be built if Indianapolis wins the 2011 Superbowl bid:

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...AL18/705220405

"...part of the plan that would create access to new athletic facilities for IPS is driven by an NFL requirement that the city provide comparable practice sites for the two Super Bowl teams.

The AFC champions would practice at the Colts' training complex, but no other high-quality indoor football venue exists in the city.

As a solution, Indianapolis 2011 Inc. would pay to build a permanent, enclosed, multipurpose athletic center on the campus of Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis.

Part of the adjacent Natatorium at IUPUI would be renovated and linked to the new venue, allowing players on the NFC team to use the locker rooms, showers and other facilities there.

The sports "bubble" would be turned over to IU after the Super Bowl, with the caveat that it be available for use by IPS students.

In addition, in cooperation with IU, field turf would be installed in an existing stadium along White River on the IUPUI campus. Under the plan, the university would make the stadium available as the home field for all IPS high school football teams.

Indianapolis 2011 Inc. President Fred Glass declined to discuss specifics about the city's proposal -- including the practice facility -- in advance of today's presentation. But the bid committee wrote that the stadium would help put IPS students on the same footing as their peers in more affluent suburban communities, where schools often have modern, all-weather facilities.

"We share Superintendent Eugene White's vision of an IPS that can offer the same high quality to its students as other area school systems, both academically and athletically," Indianapolis 2011 Inc. wrote.

It is unclear what the facilities would cost, though the total is expected to be several million dollars. Indianapolis 2011 Inc. has secured private pledges to cover the cost of putting on a Super Bowl, which is expected to be $20 million to $25 million."




Anyone care to speculate about a specific location? I say it's bye-bye tennis courts. (The Natatorium is NW of the oval NIFS building in the center of the image.)



I love how blue White River is this time of year.
WHAT ARE all those BLUE THINGYS on your map? It really is quite curious!
__________________
Indianapolis. EVERYTHING you NEED & NOTHIN ya DONT! ;-)
IndiexInxIndy no está en línea  
Old May 22nd, 2007, 05:40 PM   #647
IndiexInxIndy
Fuck The Bullshit!
 
IndiexInxIndy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: iNdY!
Posts: 437
Likes (Received): 0

I would have to say they should use the parking lot "kitty-korner" to that! Does anyone else agree wit me??
__________________
Indianapolis. EVERYTHING you NEED & NOTHIN ya DONT! ;-)
IndiexInxIndy no está en línea  
Old May 22nd, 2007, 05:51 PM   #648
Unionstation13
Registered User
 
Unionstation13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Indianapolis/Lafayette
Posts: 3,439
Likes (Received): 37

what are you talking about? Kitty korner? That big parking lot is for the zoo.
__________________
Peter- "Geesh, Meg is in there taking a nap under water!".
Unionstation13 no está en línea  
Old May 22nd, 2007, 05:55 PM   #649
IndiexInxIndy
Fuck The Bullshit!
 
IndiexInxIndy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: iNdY!
Posts: 437
Likes (Received): 0

No Silly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unionstation13 View Post
what are you talking about? Kitty korner? That big parking lot is for the zoo.
Look at IUPUI! And see where the oval thingy is? Okay, it's not a BIG parking lot... But it is a surface one hun, and we NEED to get rid of it! Besides, the Indy Zoo parking lot needs to DIE too...
__________________
Indianapolis. EVERYTHING you NEED & NOTHIN ya DONT! ;-)
IndiexInxIndy no está en línea  
Old May 22nd, 2007, 05:59 PM   #650
unvrsty07
Registered User
 
unvrsty07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Baton Rouge via Indianapolis
Posts: 944
Likes (Received): 116

^ That is a stadium. Probably the one mentioned in the article to get new turf.
unvrsty07 no está en línea  
Old May 22nd, 2007, 05:59 PM   #651
CorrND
Moderator Chris
 
CorrND's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 2,493
Likes (Received): 463

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablerock View Post
Anyone care to speculate about a specific location? I say it's bye-bye tennis courts. (The Natatorium is NW of the oval NIFS building in the center of the image.)
My guess is that they'd take the soccer field between the Natatorium and the track and field stadium, on the SW corner of New York and University. That would put the new facility right next to the converted football stadium and could be connected by covered walkway to the Natatorium (and its attached garage).
CorrND no está en línea  
Old May 22nd, 2007, 06:00 PM   #652
Unionstation13
Registered User
 
Unionstation13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Indianapolis/Lafayette
Posts: 3,439
Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiexInxIndy View Post
Look at IUPUI! And see where the oval thingy is? Okay, it's not a BIG parking lot... But it is a surface one hun, and we NEED to get rid of it! Besides, the Indy Zoo parking lot needs to DIE too...
there are alot of parking lots, and alot of oval thingies.
__________________
Peter- "Geesh, Meg is in there taking a nap under water!".
Unionstation13 no está en línea  
Old May 22nd, 2007, 06:03 PM   #653
IndiexInxIndy
Fuck The Bullshit!
 
IndiexInxIndy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: iNdY!
Posts: 437
Likes (Received): 0

i know right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unionstation13 View Post
there are alot of parking lots, and alot of oval thingies.
It's kinda, sorta trippy... Ain't it? LoL
__________________
Indianapolis. EVERYTHING you NEED & NOTHIN ya DONT! ;-)
IndiexInxIndy no está en línea  
Old May 22nd, 2007, 06:09 PM   #654
Unionstation13
Registered User
 
Unionstation13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Indianapolis/Lafayette
Posts: 3,439
Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiexInxIndy View Post
It's kinda, sorta trippy... Ain't it? LoL
true, true.
Does anyone think that gas prices will increase walking and biking traffic this summer?
__________________
Peter- "Geesh, Meg is in there taking a nap under water!".
Unionstation13 no está en línea  
Old May 22nd, 2007, 06:15 PM   #655
IndiexInxIndy
Fuck The Bullshit!
 
IndiexInxIndy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: iNdY!
Posts: 437
Likes (Received): 0

I would sure as hell hope so!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unionstation13 View Post
true, true.
Does anyone think that gas prices will increase walking and biking traffic this summer?
Though it doesn't effect me any... As i drive my BIKE from 86th & Township to downtown ATleast two to three times a WEEK just for fun... (Cause im hardcore like that!)
__________________
Indianapolis. EVERYTHING you NEED & NOTHIN ya DONT! ;-)
IndiexInxIndy no está en línea  
Old May 22nd, 2007, 06:19 PM   #656
Unionstation13
Registered User
 
Unionstation13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Indianapolis/Lafayette
Posts: 3,439
Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiexInxIndy View Post
Though it doesn't effect me any... As i drive my BIKE from 86th & Township to downtown ATleast two to three times a WEEK just for fun... (Cause im hardcore like that!)
I bike aswell from my duplex in the old north area, down to work at some place on Illinois street, on the way, I never feel in danger, theres always enough pedestrians, and its always smart to carry something for self defense(in my case, I put a cann in my purse to hit people with), biking is a great way for central residents to get around, if people are biking, it makes the atmisphere safer, now would someone attack someone on the street if there were people biking on it?
Not to mention it reduces pollution, makes the city healthier, and more active, it also gives more pedestrian life, and encourages more bike friendly growth. Hopefully there is room on the cultural trail for tourists, if locals havent filled it up already.
__________________
Peter- "Geesh, Meg is in there taking a nap under water!".
Unionstation13 no está en línea  
Old May 22nd, 2007, 06:30 PM   #657
IndiexInxIndy
Fuck The Bullshit!
 
IndiexInxIndy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: iNdY!
Posts: 437
Likes (Received): 0

HAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unionstation13 View Post


I bike aswell from my duplex in the old north area, down to work at some place on Illinois street, on the way, I never feel in danger, theres always enough pedestrians, and its always smart to carry something for self defense(in my case, I put a cann in my purse to hit people with), biking is a great way for central residents to get around, if people are biking, it makes the atmisphere safer, now would someone attack someone on the street if there were people biking on it?
Not to mention it reduces pollution, makes the city healthier, and more active, it also gives more pedestrian life, and encourages more bike friendly growth. Hopefully there is room on the cultural trail for tourists, if locals havent filled it up already.
Who knows? Maaaybe, instead of having to widen local roads all the damn time. They'll have to widen the Cultural Trail too?
__________________
Indianapolis. EVERYTHING you NEED & NOTHIN ya DONT! ;-)
IndiexInxIndy no está en línea  
Old May 22nd, 2007, 06:33 PM   #658
Unionstation13
Registered User
 
Unionstation13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Indianapolis/Lafayette
Posts: 3,439
Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiexInxIndy View Post
Who knows? Maaaybe, instead of having to widen local roads all the damn time. They'll have to widen the Cultural Trail too?
bike lanes would be nice on all the streets, a trolley between the IMA and fountian square would probably be good aswell. Better security, and more patrolling would be good aswell, if we could get walking patrols all over the central city, along with revitilization, that would probably help the crime issue. I read something about it in the star, they called it the broken glass affect or something like that. Criminals feel welcome in neighborhoods where it looks like people dont care. Why do you think crimes dont occur in places like Lockerbie, or fall creek?
If neighborhoods are cleaned up, and fixed up, criminals will be less likely to commit crimes there, and they will go to the next area of ghettos, etc. I am not saying someone cant go into Lockerbie and kill someone, but they are much less likely to, because the neighborhood is taken care of, clean, well kept.
__________________
Peter- "Geesh, Meg is in there taking a nap under water!".
Unionstation13 no está en línea  
Old May 22nd, 2007, 06:36 PM   #659
IndiexInxIndy
Fuck The Bullshit!
 
IndiexInxIndy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: iNdY!
Posts: 437
Likes (Received): 0

Would You Wanna?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unionstation13 View Post
bike lanes would be nice on all the streets, a trolley between the IMA and fountian square would probably be good aswell. Better security, and more patrolling would be good aswell, if we could get walking patrols all over the central city, along with revitilization, that would probably help the crime issue.
Would ya wanna see this "Street Trolley Proposal" thingy i conjured up on google mapz?
__________________
Indianapolis. EVERYTHING you NEED & NOTHIN ya DONT! ;-)
IndiexInxIndy no está en línea  
Old May 22nd, 2007, 06:38 PM   #660
Unionstation13
Registered User
 
Unionstation13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Indianapolis/Lafayette
Posts: 3,439
Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiexInxIndy View Post
Would ya wanna see this "Street Trolley Proposal" thingy i conjured up on google mapz?
sure!
__________________
Peter- "Geesh, Meg is in there taking a nap under water!".
Unionstation13 no está en línea  


Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu