daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old May 22nd, 2007, 06:40 PM   #661
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 463

WOW! Offline personal conversation, maybe?
CorrND no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old May 22nd, 2007, 06:41 PM   #662
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

Found this on the Star-Telegram site, a north Texas web page. It's an article about the push for mass-transit in Dallas if they get the Bowl.

"If perchance North Texas wins -- the vibes and scribes say Indianapolis ranks as a modest favorite -- the game in Arlington at the Cowboys' billion-dollar stadium will also be played with something of an asterisk..."
Old May 22nd, 2007, 06:44 PM   #663
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

does anyone know when they will decide who gets the superbowl?
Old May 22nd, 2007, 06:49 PM   #664
philaustin06

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by billionbucks View Post
Ok... There is some debate a-foot between my urban planning friend and I... Are they going to rip down the old Indy Int. Terminal when the new one is finished? ... It makes sense to me that they are but ... whatever, he is insistant it is staying. Any information?

And the temple looks really good in those pictures!

Also; could someone post the pictures of the lower income/cheaper condos/apartments that are supposed to be built? I don't remember the name of them...
i work at the indy airport and yeah, theyre going to tear down the entire terminal except the part which has offices in it. I think, but not sure, that theyre going to put the new and extend the old runways and taxis where the current airport sits.
philaustin06 no está en línea  
Old May 22nd, 2007, 06:50 PM   #665
philaustin06

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unionstation13 View Post
after 2pm
philaustin06 no está en línea  
Old May 22nd, 2007, 06:50 PM   #666
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unionstation13 View Post
The presentations are today and the vote is expected today.

(However, I think the vote can take place at any point during the owners meeting, which lasts through tomorrow. (??) )
CorrND no está en línea  
Old May 22nd, 2007, 06:52 PM   #667
Unionstation13

wow, I dident know it was this soon. I hope Indianapolis gets it, I mean, this would totally help downtown, and in fort worthe, their stadium is outside of downtown. WTF?
Old May 22nd, 2007, 07:14 PM   #668
cwilson758
Cory

The Star say 2pm and Dallas says 1pm, so I assume that is correct.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 07:18 PM   #669
IndiexInxIndy
Fuck The Bullshit!

Likes (Received): 0

Maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrND View Post
WOW! Offline personal conversation, maybe?
We should let everybody know how totally rad we both are...
Old May 22nd, 2007, 07:23 PM   #670
Unionstation13

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiexInxIndy View Post
We should let everybody know how totally rad we both are...
as rad as you are, I am gonna talk to you over private message now.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 07:46 PM   #671
IndiexInxIndy
Fuck The Bullshit!

Bon idea! Anywaaay, now we've got not even 2 hrs. 'til ya know.... The bid?
Old May 22nd, 2007, 09:00 PM   #672
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Indianapolis loses Super Bowl bid

Team owners choose Dallas in NFL meeting today

By Karen Eschbacher

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — Indianapolis has lost out to XXX in its bid to host the 2011 Super Bowl.

The loss is a blow to city leaders, who had worked for months to perfect their pitch. Officials have said some 98,000 people would have attended a Super Bowl here, pumping $262 million into the local economy.
NFL owners today chose the location during their annual meeting in Nashville.

Among the factors working against Indianapolis was weather. The Super Bowl has only been held in a northern city three times in its 41-year history, most recently in Detroit in 2006. Owners have historically preferred warmer locations, where outdoor activities like golf are possible and winter weather doesn’t threaten to mar the event.

The city was primarily in the running because the NFL has a tendency to reward communities and teams that build new stadiums with the right to host the Super Bowl.

Lucas Oil Stadium, the $675 million, state-of-the-art facility rising just south of the RCA Dome, is scheduled to open in time for the 2008 season.

But that may have been less of a factor, because the other two locations that competed to host also will have new stadiums.

The Cowboys’ new home in Arlington, Texas, will open a year after Lucas Oil Stadium. With a price tag of $1 billion, it will be the biggest and perhaps most impressive NFL stadium ever built.

The Arizona Cardinals opened last season in the University of Phoenix Stadium. Like Lucas Oil, it has a retractable roof. The 2008 Super Bowl is already scheduled to be played there.

The league’s 32 team owners voted on the location of the Super Bowl by secret ballot following presentations today by the three competing cities.

Indianapolis spent months preparing its bid.

Representatives from Indianapolis 2011 Inc., the non-profit organization leading the effort, secured contracts locking up about 19,000 hotel rooms, reserved 94 venues and secured enough financial pledges to cover a Super Bowl budget that is between $20 million and $25 million.

The city could compete for the 2012 Super Bowl or others down the road, but success is not a sure bet.

Lots can change in a year. New Orleans, for example, could get back in the Super Bowl sweepstakes. A nine-time Super Bowl host, thanks in part to warm weather and party-hard reputation, the city would likely be a sentimental favorite of owners in the wake of Hurricane Katrina.

West Coast teams, such as the San Diego Chargers, could also address aging stadiums, throwing themselves back into the hosting mix.

“There’s just no slide to the next year kind of thing in the NFL,” said Marc Ganis of Chicago, a sports industry consultant.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...RTS03/70522035
CorrND no está en línea  
Old May 22nd, 2007, 09:07 PM   #673
cwilson758
Cory

I figured Dallas would get it. My god the IndyStar boards are probably going crazy with glee. That dooms-day board is a mess.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 09:08 PM   #674
Whosville

Likes (Received): 2

Sorry INDY, I was rooting for you. I think the whole Midwest was. I am tired of Superbowls in the south.

I wish they would appoint a different group to make this decision rather than the owners who are only worried how it will affect their life (golf, luxury hotels, ...). This is way too important of a decision to be left to a bunch of rich idiots who could care less about everything except themselves.

This would have helped Indy a ton. I hope some of the stuff they talked about still gets built, like the IUPUI stadium.

Oh well, enjoy the race. At least you still have that.
Whosville no está en línea  
Old May 22nd, 2007, 09:08 PM   #675
Indywatch

WELL THAT SUCKS!
Indywatch no está en línea  
Old May 22nd, 2007, 09:14 PM   #676
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilson758 View Post
I figured Dallas would get it. My god the IndyStar boards are probably going crazy with glee. That dooms-day board is a mess.
OMG I was reading the forum today about Dr White not allowing cheers while graduates are presented with diplomas. There are so many bigots hiding behind their computers.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 09:19 PM   #677
eweezerinc
President of Catan

Likes (Received): 11

Damn. All I have to say is TRY AGAIN.

Indy deserves a Super Bowl. Maybe if you build an indoor golf-range for all the fat old men on the board....
Old May 22nd, 2007, 09:36 PM   #678
ablerock

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whosville View Post
I wish they would appoint a different group to make this decision rather than the owners who are only worried how it will affect their life (golf, luxury hotels, ...). This is way too important of a decision to be left to a bunch of rich idiots who could care less about everything except themselves.
Word.
ablerock no está en línea  
Old May 22nd, 2007, 09:45 PM   #679
IndiexInxIndy
Fuck The Bullshit!

Well @least NOW...

We can focus on more important issues! And yea... Why the hell not a 2012 bid? I think that would be MUCH more viable... Anywaaay, i knew we weren't gonna get it after i read a headline that said "Indy Confident....." That's exactly the headlines we used to get when the Colts went into the playoffs before last year! But since we knew we were underdawgs last year we still won... I dunno, i'm rambling but w/e. We didn't really NEED this it's only one weekend after all... Seriously, who can name the last five locations for the Super Bowl? Exactly!

Now to drink my sorrow away....
Old May 22nd, 2007, 09:46 PM   #680
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whosville View Post
Sorry INDY, I was rooting for you. I think the whole Midwest was. I am tired of Superbowls in the south.

This would have helped Indy a ton. I hope some of the stuff they talked about still gets built, like the IUPUI stadium.

Oh well, enjoy the race. At least you still have that.
I don't think the owners were worried about how the Super Bowl location would affect their quality of life, I think they were worried about the Super Bowl location would affect their bottom line.

It's their league and they can do what they want. Sure, Indy probably deserves the game and could throw a MUCH better Super Bowl party than most people realize. But Dallas deserves one too and will probably throw a decent Super Bowl, and there's lots more money to be made there.

I hope Indy tries again next year.
CorrND no está en línea  

Closed Thread