daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old May 22nd, 2007, 11:26 PM   #681
ragerunner1

Likes (Received): 59

Well, I sure the NFL owners didn't want to pass up the chance to host the Super Bowl at a stadium with such a big parking lot around it and all of the suburban amenities.
ragerunner1 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old May 22nd, 2007, 11:27 PM   #682
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Likes (Received): 14

From wishtv.com -----

INDIANAPOLIS - The Indianapolis City Market renovation construction is delayed again, it is hundreds of thousands of dollars over budget and the executive director of the market resigned. And that is causing businesses to lose money.

While crews continue construction at the City Market, small business owners serve lunch from their temporary locations.

"Actually right now it's 11:45 and you see there are no customers. At 12:15, 12:30 it is virtually the same," said John Mavrikis, Grecian Garden. "Our business is down about 75 percent."

John said now his customers have to go outside, down a long outdoor corridor to get to the east wing and then upstairs.

"You moving back to the same location?" a customer asked Mavrikis.

"We don't know yet. We hope so, they haven't told us anything yet," he replied.

"I think when you get into any large project there is going to be inevitabilities as far as construction delays and we've had some surprises," said City Market spokesperson Ann McWilliams.

Mcwilliams said those surprises ran the project over budget by half a million dollars and have delayed it by weeks.

"These restaurants up here depend on the summer to get them through and now we are probably going to lose the summer because of the construction delays," Mavrikis said.

"We understand that this is a painful process," McWilliams said.

McWilliams would not commit to a re-opening date for the City Market.
http://wishtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=6553044
Old May 23rd, 2007, 12:52 AM   #683
IndiexInxIndy
Fuck The Bullshit!

Likes (Received): 0

iohjbdtmklnmdm

That shit pisses me off SO much!
Old May 23rd, 2007, 01:07 AM   #684
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

The vote looks to have come down to 17-15 in favor of Dallas. With a push from Jerry Jones adding more suites and "bleachers" to make a total of 300 suites and 120,000 SEATS~! No freaking wonder.

They had the KC Chiefs owner on PRAISING Indy and saying how Indianapolis represets the finest of the NFL's small markets.

It looks like they will be bidding again for the 2012 Game.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 01:24 AM   #685
indyfan

Likes (Received): 2

God this sucks. My brother lives in Dallas and he will be gloating about this forever with all this "everything's bigger and better in Texas" horseshit.
indyfan no está en línea  
Old May 23rd, 2007, 02:29 AM   #686
billionbucks
Colts Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobyhead View Post
OMG I was reading the forum today about Dr White not allowing cheers while graduates are presented with diplomas. There are so many bigots hiding behind their computers.
Agreed, I stuck up for IPS as long as I could in those forums. The mom they interviewed yesterday in the initial report was actually MY mom!

I am upset about the superbowl bid... Maybe next time. At least we WON the superbowl!
Old May 23rd, 2007, 02:44 AM   #687
IndiexInxIndy
Fuck The Bullshit!

True that! I would actually rather WIN as superbowl then HOST one... I mean seriously. Perhaps in 2011 we can win the SB there! AND shove it down their tobacco filled throats! :-p
Old May 23rd, 2007, 03:02 AM   #688
hoosier

Likes (Received): 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
God this sucks. My brother lives in Dallas and he will be gloating about this forever with all this "everything's bigger and better in Texas" horseshit.
Tell him: "You're right, evrything IS bigger in texas, including the *******s."

Anyways, the NFL screwed up by not picking Indy. Unlike Dallas, Indy knows how to host a major sporting event.
hoosier no está en línea  
Old May 23rd, 2007, 05:40 AM   #689
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

oh well, just amagine all that burning oil in that vast suburb.
I think it was climate, Indianapolis would be excellent for the superbowl.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 07:46 AM   #690
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unionstation13 View Post
oh well, just amagine all that burning oil in that vast suburb.
I think it was climate, Indianapolis would be excellent for the superbowl.
I think the size of the stadium sealed the deal for this one, not climate. Dallas' new stadium seats nearly 100,000 compared to 70,000 for LOS, and those extra 30,000 seats means more revenue pumped into the NFL.
NaptownBoy no está en línea  
Old May 23rd, 2007, 04:13 PM   #691
ablerock

Likes (Received): 29

From May 23 Indianapolis Star:

Restored Rink-Savoy Debuts Today

By Tom Spalding

The century-old Rink-Savoy buildings - vacant since being ravaged by fire in 1990 - make their official debut today as Downtown housing for low- and moderate- income residents.

Co-developers Riley Area Development Corp. and Mansur Real Estate Services today unveil the restored building at 401 N. Illinois St.
Considered one of the city's first-generation apartment buildings, the six-story Savoy was built in 1896 and the seven-story Rink was built in 1901.

They were acquired by Indianapolis government through foreclosure and was transferred in 2005 to the nonprofit RADC at no cost.

In turn, RADC committed to donate $100,000 to the Housing Trust Fund, which is set up to support increasing affordable housing opportunities across Indianapolis, according to city archives. The city also provided $395,000 in federal grant funding to support the redevelopment.

Total costs of the project are about $5 million, and feature a restored marble lobby, card-entry security system and illuminated facade.

"It meets the needs of young people or people who can't make the high prices of condos downtown," said Bill Gray, executive director of the Riley Area Development Corp.

He said the building is already at 60 percent occupancy and has a waiting list. Contractors are still finishing up the first floor and basement.

"By the end of three weeks, we'll have it totally rented up. It's just amazing," Gray said.

The Rink-Savoy features 60 one- and two-bedroom apartments renting from $272 to $775 a month and five condominiums priced under $100,000.
ablerock no está en línea  
Old May 23rd, 2007, 04:30 PM   #692
Indywatch

IndiexInxIndy said:
Quote:
True that! I would actually rather WIN as superbowl then HOST one... I mean seriously. Perhaps in 2011 we can win the SB there! AND shove it down their tobacco filled throats! :-p
Winning a Superbowl is great, but the potential revenue of over $262 million for hosting the Superbowl, the city now lost. The trickle down effect would have been great for the city. Like Dallas needs the money? I suppose with month long festivities of the Indy 500, the Brickyard 400, and the Indy Grand Prix Formula One (if they can keep that here in Indy), Indy has 3 rather lucrative sporting events that keep the money flowing into Indy. Hopefully with the new JW, Lucas, and Convention Center expansion, Indy will attract larger conventions and keep those hotels, restuarants, museums and retail shops busy as well.
Indywatch no está en línea  
Old May 23rd, 2007, 04:37 PM   #693
Spicoli

greetings. cool site. learning lots of stuff here.
Spicoli no está en línea  
Old May 23rd, 2007, 05:05 PM   #694
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablerock View Post
From May 23 Indianapolis Star:

Restored Rink-Savoy Debuts Today

By Tom Spalding

The century-old Rink-Savoy buildings - vacant since being ravaged by fire in 1990 - make their official debut today as Downtown housing for low- and moderate- income residents.

Co-developers Riley Area Development Corp. and Mansur Real Estate Services today unveil the restored building at 401 N. Illinois St.
Considered one of the city's first-generation apartment buildings, the six-story Savoy was built in 1896 and the seven-story Rink was built in 1901.

They were acquired by Indianapolis government through foreclosure and was transferred in 2005 to the nonprofit RADC at no cost.

In turn, RADC committed to donate $100,000 to the Housing Trust Fund, which is set up to support increasing affordable housing opportunities across Indianapolis, according to city archives. The city also provided $395,000 in federal grant funding to support the redevelopment.

Total costs of the project are about $5 million, and feature a restored marble lobby, card-entry security system and illuminated facade.

"It meets the needs of young people or people who can't make the high prices of condos downtown," said Bill Gray, executive director of the Riley Area Development Corp.

He said the building is already at 60 percent occupancy and has a waiting list. Contractors are still finishing up the first floor and basement.

"By the end of three weeks, we'll have it totally rented up. It's just amazing," Gray said.

The Rink-Savoy features 60 one- and two-bedroom apartments renting from $272 to $775 a month and five condominiums priced under $100,000.
My manager is on the Riley Board and just walked over for the debut. I think it's a wonderful location and very affordable.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 05:10 PM   #695
Unionstation13

what is the rink building? The name sounds familiar, but I cant touch it.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 05:38 PM   #696
ablerock

Quote:
It's right across the street from Acapulco Joe's on the NE corner of Illinois and Vermont.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 05:38 PM   #697
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 466

Quote:
From the Star article today. You can't see in this picture, but it says "RINK" over the corner entrance. For a time, and up until this renovation, it said "LINK". IIRC someone bought the Rink building who just happened to have the last name Link and decided to remove the R and put an L up. This renovation restored the R.

I think this picture is a little old already. It now has an awning at the entrance like the Athletic Club Condos.
CorrND no está en línea  
Old May 23rd, 2007, 05:47 PM   #698
ablerock

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrND View Post
It now has an awning at the entrance like the Athletic Club Condos.
That awning pisses me off (not seen in the photo above). The font they selected is horrible, it doesn't match the architectural style of the building at all. The building's exterior paint color is dark green and the awning is burgundy. It stands out like a sore thumb and mars an otherwise quality restoration.

People have got to start paying attention to details.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 05:51 PM   #699
Unionstation13

oh the brick structure on the corner across from the world memorial? The one designed by genereal lew wallace? Those structures are magnificent! I love the structures, that block is so intact! That is a great example of residential downtown urbanism.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 07:42 PM   #700
unvrsty07

Likes (Received): 116

My gf and I are really considering getting an apartment in this building. It is such a great price for college students. I hope that Paramount Towers can have a similar price range in case I am not able to get one at the Rink.

There you go Cory, now you can get a dt condo.

Once the building at Michigan and Capitol is finished it will host a coffee shop, small grocer, and a rest. I think. Once the Cosmopolitan is finished there will be retail and two rest. finished. So this will be an up and coming location in the next 6 months to a year!!
unvrsty07 no está en línea  

Closed Thread