daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old May 23rd, 2007, 08:56 PM   #701
ablerock

Likes (Received): 29

I looked at the condos and apartments in the Rink-Savoy a few months ago. Some of the floor plans are great, especially in the SW corner. It has an amazing view of the Indiana Statehouse and the One America Building. The view will include the JW complex when it is completed.

The apartment's rental rates are based on annual income and assets. There are 4 income tiers. For example, the same floor plan will cost significantly less for a person that makes $18,000 annually than for someone that makes $27,000. A specific apartment's monthly rate is also locked in based on the first renter's tier assignment, ie, if someone in tier B is the first to rent apartment X1, then apartment X1 will always go to someone whose annual income falls into tier B's requirements.

For those interested, I believe $27,000 was the maximum you could make annually for the apartments (single household) and $35,000 for the condos. The condos have hardwood floors, while the apartments are carpeted.
ablerock no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old May 23rd, 2007, 09:32 PM   #702
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by unvrsty07 View Post
My gf and I are really considering getting an apartment in this building. It is such a great price for college students. I hope that Paramount Towers can have a similar price range in case I am not able to get one at the Rink.

There you go Cory, now you can get a dt condo.

Once the building at Michigan and Capitol is finished it will host a coffee shop, small grocer, and a rest. I think. Once the Cosmopolitan is finished there will be retail and two rest. finished. So this will be an up and coming location in the next 6 months to a year!!
I actually just bought a new house...at Kessler and Binford! I can't believe I will be out of Center Township.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 09:35 PM   #703
cwilson758
Cory

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablerock View Post
I looked at the condos and apartments in the Rink-Savoy a few months ago. Some of the floor plans are great, especially in the SW corner. It has an amazing view of the Indiana Statehouse and the One America Building. The view will include the JW complex when it is completed.

The apartment's rental rates are based on annual income and assets. There are 4 income tiers. For example, the same floor plan will cost significantly less for a person that makes $18,000 annually than for someone that makes $27,000. A specific apartment's monthly rate is also locked in based on the first renter's tier assignment, ie, if someone in tier B is the first to rent apartment X1, then apartment X1 will always go to someone whose annual income falls into tier B's requirements.

For those interested, I believe $27,000 was the maximum you could make annually for the apartments (single household) and $35,000 for the condos. The condos have hardwood floors, while the apartments are carpeted.
I wouldn't have qualified then! I make too much money (Ha ha ha).

Downtown needsmany more projects like this. Riley Area Dev is really trying to do this same type of deal with the Coke facility on Mass Ave.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 10:05 PM   #704
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Likes (Received): 14

TeePee could rise again
Local man hopes to revive restaurant that was city fixture from 1930s to ’70s
Sat, May 19 - 2007

Cory Schouten - [email protected]
IBJ staff
Dick Turner is looking for an entrepreneur who shares his taste for nostalgia and Big Chief cheeseburgers.

For 20 years, he has dreamed of opening an updated version of the classic TeePee restaurants that served as hangouts for generations from the 1930s to 1970s. At its peak, the chain had three Indianapolis locations, each with dining rooms and curb service, on Madison Avenue and Fall Creek Boulevard and in Nora.

Turner can show you the frayed legal documents that outline his ownership of the TeePee trademark, which he bought from the estate of the original owners. He says the restaurants fell into decline after the original owner died.

He’s got worn recipes stained by the restaurant’s famous salad dressing, along with copies of the menu from 1979, when a Big Chief was $1.30 and a Double-Thick Chocolate Malt was 75 cents.

He’ll tell you he’s too old and not wealthy enough to take on the project alone. But Turner, who at 68 has had seven heart surgeries, will promise to do his part: sit at the counter, sip coffee and make sure customers are satisfied. He even has blueprints of his proposed restaurant and a vacant site picked out along U.S. 31 South near Shelby Street. Turner just needs a partner with lots of cash. He says the land and building will cost $2.85 million. He also has a smaller prototype that would cost less.

“My passion is seeing it back up before I die,” he said.

The odds are against him, said Steve Delaney, a local real estate broker who specializes in restaurants. The fact Turner now has a site plan and a potential location are signs of progress, but he still has a long way to go.

“TeePee had a really good operation, but to translate that into the new millennium will take more than having the name and the rights to the sauce,” Delaney said. “It’s a long and difficult translation from idea to reality.”

Turner also will have to lower his price if he wants to see the restaurant take off. He said he wants $4 million for the trademark and recipes, a laughably high price to those in the business, although Turner says he will take a lot less as part of a partnership agreement.

If he gets serious about negotiations, prominent south-side residents such as Jeff Cardwell think it could work.

“I think if TeePee came back, it would be an absolute hit,” said Cardwell, a community leader who runs a local hardware store, Cardwell Do-It-Best Home Center. “It would be a home run, a destination.”

Turner is known as a dreamer, but he insists his plans to bring back TeePee are more than wild fantasy. He’s been working on the plan for a while.

When workers tore down the old TeePee in 1984, Turner grabbed a rusted collection of metal pipes that sat on the restaurant’s roof: the TeePee top. It’s now tucked away in a corner of his garage. He plans to put it in the lobby of his new restaurant, along with an educational display on American Indians. He also vows to track down the original sign.

Turner first visited a TeePee in 1942, when he was 4 years old. His parents took him to the location along Fall Creek at the State Fairgrounds, and told him how the restaurant was named for American Indians. The story fascinated him.

As a teenager, Turner hung out at the TeePee, soaking up everything he could about the restaurant business. The proprietor, Albert McCombs, asked him why he wasn’t spending more time flirting with girls. He promised there was enough time for both interests.

Turner might tell you about his stint in the Army, the Burger Chef locations he opened in Alabama, or his friendship with Alabama Gov. George Wallace, but he’ll always come back to the TeePee.

He got a brief taste of his dream in 1979, when he reopened the Fall Creek restaurant after acquiring the rights. He said he gave out free ice cream to children who cleaned their plates. He made his way around the dining room checking on customers, several of whom admitted they “had conceived their children” in his parking lot. Waitresses told him their tips reached record highs.

But his run lasted only a few months before dissolving into a dispute with the State Fair board and eventually bankruptcy. Turner later opened a restaurant on the south side that served some TeePee recipes, then tried a “mini” TeePee at City Market. Neither lasted long, although Turner is still infamous on the south side for his Southpole restaurant. He had a woman live in a hut on top of a pole for more than 500 days. She broke a world record, but the publicity stunt wasn’t enough to keep Turner’s restaurant open.

Cardwell would like to see TeePee’s return as part of a revitalization of the Miracle Mile, the Madison Avenue gateway to the south side. The once-thriving stretch just south of downtown was hit hard by the construction of interstate highways and sprawl. Turner’s smaller prototype would fit nicely along the strip, across the street from a McDonald’s where a TeePee once stood.

Cardwell is president of Gateway Business Alliance, a group that plans to bring back the Miracle Mile Parade in September. The last Miracle Mile Parade was in 1957, when the TeePee was thriving.

Cardwell figures a new TeePee could be a staple of the area’s revival.

“His best thing is to do a franchise license,” Cardwell said of Turner. “He’s got to come up with a formula and I’m not sure at this point what it is, and I’m not sure he does, either.”

It won’t be easy, but reopening the TeePee is doable, Delaney said. Just look at the local entrepreneurs behind 96th Street Steakburgers, a successful restaurant that now has two locations, he said. They started with an ambitious idea built on nostalgia and pulled it off.

Turner would have name recognition with TeePee—at least among the baby boomers who used to “buzz” the restaurant in high school and the youngsters who visited with their families, said Jerry Cosby, retired editor of The Spotlight, a south-side newspaper now run by Virginia-based Gannett Co.

“It wasn’t a Hilton, but on the other hand the décor was nice, and you could get a good square meal and value for your money,” he said.

If Turner wants to capitalize on the TeePee name, though, he had better act fast.

“People who remember the TeePee are getting old,” Cosby said. •
Old May 23rd, 2007, 11:15 PM   #705
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

One Indiana Square

I wrote prematurely when I said they were starting the remodel. The yellow crane positioned on our north lot is for repairs of the 5th floor/garage roof. I guess it's leaking. They did core drill in the north surface lot yesterday. They wanted to make sure the ground under the lot can support a crane, no sink hole possibilities. Don't want one to collapse and fall into the building.
Old May 24th, 2007, 03:30 AM   #706
hoosier

Likes (Received): 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilson758 View Post
I actually just bought a new house...at Kessler and Binford! I can't believe I will be out of Center Township.
That's cool! I drive right by that intersection everyday on my way to and from work. I have an apartment at 62nd and Allisonville.
hoosier no está en línea  
Old May 24th, 2007, 03:45 AM   #707
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 466

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilson758 View Post
Congrats! I just drove through that area the other day because a friend directed me to Great Fermentations (home brew store). The residential area around there is wonderful, with the abundance of mature trees. If I wasn't going to live downtown -- and I have no interest in leaving anytime soon! -- that's the kind of area I'd like to be in. Enjoy your new digs!
CorrND no está en línea  
Old May 24th, 2007, 08:09 AM   #708
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

Likes (Received): 5

(Disclaimer: This would probably be more appropriate on a blog, but since I don't have one, I'll go ahead and post it here.)

I was downtown this past Saturday night with a friend, and we decided to stop by Circle Centre so we could grab a few things, and check out some girls.

We went upstairs to the fourth floor to see what movies were playing and my God, the place couldn't have been more dead! On a Saturday night, with some fairly good releases being shown, you would think that there would have been more than just a handful of people there.

That being said, what the hell happened to the fourth floor of Circle Centre? Is it cursed, or something? I can remember right after the mall first opened, and the fourth floor was so vibrant--almost to the point of overcrowding. These days you'll be lucky if you can find ten people at once on that whole floor.

First, World Mardi Gras closed. Then, the small tenants like Ben & Jerry's started to leave, one by one. Gameworks is hanging on for dear life, and I don't even know what's going to happen to the cinema.

I sure hope Simon will redevlop the entire fourth floor, if the cinema closes. There's never anyone up there, and it's almost becoming an eyesore in the mall. I actually find it kind of ironic, considering how there's a 100% occupancy rate on the lower three levels.
NaptownBoy no está en línea  
Old May 24th, 2007, 09:49 AM   #709
indyfiend
INDYFIEND

Likes (Received): 0

I loved going to World Mardi Gras. 4 bars for a reasonable cover. I'm still not sure why it closed. Maybe it was bringing a bad element into the mall, who knows. The silver lining is that World Mardi Gras' closing was followed by new street level clubs in the wholesale district. I think street level entertainment venues bring more life to a city than entertainment complexes like World Mardi Gras. I do miss kickin' it old school at flashbacks though
indyfiend no está en línea  
Old May 24th, 2007, 04:08 PM   #710
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaptownBoy View Post
(Disclaimer: This would probably be more appropriate on a blog, but since I don't have one, I'll go ahead and post it here.)

I was downtown this past Saturday night with a friend, and we decided to stop by Circle Centre so we could grab a few things, and check out some girls.

We went upstairs to the fourth floor to see what movies were playing and my God, the place couldn't have been more dead! On a Saturday night, with some fairly good releases being shown, you would think that there would have been more than just a handful of people there.

That being said, what the hell happened to the fourth floor of Circle Centre? Is it cursed, or something? I can remember right after the mall first opened, and the fourth floor was so vibrant--almost to the point of overcrowding. These days you'll be lucky if you can find ten people at once on that whole floor.

First, World Mardi Gras closed. Then, the small tenants like Ben & Jerry's started to leave, one by one. Gameworks is hanging on for dear life, and I don't even know what's going to happen to the cinema.

I sure hope Simon will redevlop the entire fourth floor, if the cinema closes. There's never anyone up there, and it's almost becoming an eyesore in the mall. I actually find it kind of ironic, considering how there's a 100% occupancy rate on the lower three levels.
thats very odd, everytime I go, it is fairly busy, who knows?
But, I dont think these little things will happen much longer, once all the residential projects are finished currently, there will probably be a large wave of downtown life. Since alot of the current residential structures are being renovated into residential structures. I think a new tallest would really attract alot of people. But, I dont see how people couldent be attracted to downtown Indy, it just has such a cool feel, its not chicago, but it just has a cool feel.
Old May 24th, 2007, 05:05 PM   #711
cwilson758
Cory

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrND View Post
Congrats! I just drove through that area the other day because a friend directed me to Great Fermentations (home brew store). The residential area around there is wonderful, with the abundance of mature trees. If I wasn't going to live downtown -- and I have no interest in leaving anytime soon! -- that's the kind of area I'd like to be in. Enjoy your new digs!
Thanks Hoosier and CorrND. It really is a great neighborhood and yes, the trees are awesome! My new yard has a number of trees.
Old May 24th, 2007, 05:06 PM   #712
cwilson758
Cory

I've always thought that the 4th floor should be converted to Condos.
Old May 24th, 2007, 05:53 PM   #713
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 466

I'm surprised the cinema hasn't closed. About 90% of the time I see a movie there, it's me and 10 other people. I went to Spiderman 3 on opening night at about 10:15 and it was still only about 2/3rds full. And that was for the movie with highest-grossing opening-weekend ever!
CorrND no está en línea  
Old May 24th, 2007, 07:15 PM   #714
philaustin06

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrND View Post
I'm surprised the cinema hasn't closed. About 90% of the time I see a movie there, it's me and 10 other people. I went to Spiderman 3 on opening night at about 10:15 and it was still only about 2/3rds full. And that was for the movie with highest-grossing opening-weekend ever!
they wont go out of business, downtown needs a movie theatre and AMC or Regal, whichever theatre that is, pretty sure regal, is one of the top chains in the US, theres no way they'd let them go out of business, even if they had 10 customers a day. I worked for a movie theatre for 2 years and they just dont let it happen. could you imagine downtown without a movie theatre?
philaustin06 no está en línea  
Old May 24th, 2007, 07:53 PM   #715
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

Likes (Received): 5

Having a theatre complex downtown is a relatively recent occurance. I don't have any idea where people downtown saw their movies before Sep. '95, probably ending up having to go to a suburban mall.
NaptownBoy no está en línea  
Old May 24th, 2007, 08:39 PM   #716
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaptownBoy View Post
Having a theatre complex downtown is a relatively recent occurance. I don't have any idea where people downtown saw their movies before Sep. '95, probably ending up having to go to a suburban mall.
As a former downtown resident pre-Circle Center, I went to Hollywood Bar and Filmworks.
Old May 24th, 2007, 10:00 PM   #717
ragerunner1

Likes (Received): 59

Does anyone have data that shows how many residential units have sold in the downtown area over the last year or two. I know that the Downtown Inc. keeps track of units underconstruction, but I was look for units sold.
ragerunner1 no está en línea  
Old May 25th, 2007, 12:57 AM   #718
ablerock

Likes (Received): 29

Besides arenn's excellent blog The Urbanophile, and the IBJ's new blog Property Lines, I also enjoy reading Circles & Squares for Indianapolis development news and views.

Circles & Squares' author recently posted a higher-res snag of the aerial view of Kosene & Kosene's MSA proposal. I hadn't seen it posted anywhere else, so I thought I'd spread the love. Check his blog out, I think everyone here would enjoy it. I've also invited him to check out this forum. (If he isn't already one of you!)

ablerock no está en línea  
Old May 25th, 2007, 03:34 AM   #719
billionbucks
Colts Fan

Likes (Received): 0

I recently came across these sites... May be old news to some of you.

These sites are all about the public ary being installed in downtown indianapolis... The videos are pretty interesting and the other site gives pretty good information.

I hope more art is to come!

http://www.mediasauceclients.com/ACI...ods/index.html

http://www.indyarts.org/artists_publicart.aspx

I like the fountain square one: http://www.indyarts.org/artists_publ...ail.aspx?ID=14
Old May 25th, 2007, 04:04 AM   #720
k2h

Likes (Received): 16

Everytime i see a new rendering of the Kosene & Kosene proposal, my excitement builds and i attempt to assure myself this proposal will be chosen, but it is really hard to say. I thought the IC was a sure bet as well.
k2h no está en línea  

Closed Thread