daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old May 26th, 2007, 09:27 PM   #741
benjaminooo
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM1410 View Post
Fountain Square to be home to state’s largest wifi hot spot
Sweet! I hope it reaches my house!

Also that woodfield development is interesting.. I'll only approve of it as long as they really bring Prince here.
benjaminooo no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old May 26th, 2007, 09:47 PM   #742
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCC View Post
I think it would be helpful if Union Station defined what exactly a historic structure is. Is there some sort of cut off date with regard to "historic" status?
exactly,
I think it is 1940?
Old May 26th, 2007, 11:02 PM   #743
benjaminooo
Unregistered User

Wasn't there supposed to be some sort of announcement today about a light rail development? I remember someone posting a date about the plans possibly being on May 26th
Old May 26th, 2007, 11:14 PM   #744
unvrsty07

Likes (Received): 116

That woodfield Crossing project looks ******* amazing!!!
unvrsty07 no está en línea  
Old May 26th, 2007, 11:25 PM   #745
KM1410

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminooo View Post
Wasn't there supposed to be some sort of announcement today about a light rail development? I remember someone posting a date about the plans possibly being on May 26th
According to the below article, a route will be chosen later this summer or early fall...

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...86/LOCAL010403
KM1410 no está en línea  
Old May 26th, 2007, 11:27 PM   #746
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

The Woodfield Project does look cool. I am so surprised that this area hasn't had something like this proposed before now. I really see this as a potentially hotter condo/apartment market than downtown because land is cheaper and therefore they could make the units larger with amople parking!

I have long thought that the actual Keystone at The Crossing site would have had a condo tower proposed along the lake by now!
Old May 27th, 2007, 02:00 AM   #747
benjaminooo
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM1410 View Post
According to the below article, a route will be chosen later this summer or early fall...

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...86/LOCAL010403
I think Keystone Ave is a prime choice. Maybe running from 38th to 116th, there would be a lot of choices for stops and obviously an express that runs in the morning and evening for workers. I could see major stops being. 96th, 86th/Keystone Xing, 71st, 62nd/BR Ave/Glendale, Kessler/56th, 46th, 38th.. Then maybe turning west at 38th and then south again at Meridian, Capitol or MLK. Just an idea, and while I'm throwing out ideas.. Here are some ideas for a future metro rail system in indy.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0...,0.806122&z=11

Also, I think this map is editable.. I would love to see other ideas if you're interested.
Old May 27th, 2007, 03:46 AM   #748
kangaroo1

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjfjapan View Post
There could probably be considerable debate whether Speedway is part of Indianapolis or not. From what I can tell, Speedway is one of the four "independent" cities/towns other than Indy within Marion County, Lawrence, Beech Grove and Southport are the others. But Speedway is a "town" while the other three are "cities" with their own mayors. As a town, Speedway does not have a separate mayor, but it does have its own town council, school system, municipal services, etc. There are several other "towns" within Marion County and Indianapolis that retain their own councils: Clermont, Rocky Ripple, Cumberland, etc. (http://www.imcpl.org/resources/guide...tionsfaq.html). It would be interesting to know if Speedway's population is included in the Indianapolis figure, or if it is reported separately, like the other three Marion County cities...anyone know?

You are confusing so-called "included towns" under the Unigov law--(e.g. Meridian Hills, Rocky Ripple, etc.) with "excluded muncipalities," such as Speedway.

Under Unigov, Speedway, Lawrence, Beech Grove, and Southport were NOT merged into the Consolidated City of Indianapolis. They are legally separate muncipalities. However, since the Indianapolis city government and the Marion County government were partially merged under Unigov (not completely, because Marion County still exists as a legal entity), these four "excluded muncipalities" are subject to many of the same laws and vote for some of the same officials. The Mayor of Indianapolis acts as the chief executive of the County so people in the "excluded municipalities" vote for the Mayor of Indianapolis. Also, the City-County Council does act as the legislative body of the County, so the residents of "excluded municipalities" vote for members of the City-County Council. However, Speedway, Lawrence, Beech Grove, and Southport have their own city councils--or in the case of Speedway a town council AND they can pass their own laws. Also, NOT all laws passed by the City-County Council apply to the four "excluded municipalities" unless the City-County Council decides to make them county-wide ordinances. For example, the smoking ban passed by the City-County Council did NOT apply to the "excluded muncipalities" which is why Speedway later passed its own smoking ban. Finally, the U.S. Census does not count the population of the four "excluded municipalities" in the population of Indianapolis (also, the Census sometimes publishes a separate figure called Indianapolis, Balance which shows the population of Indianapolis without the so-called "INCLUDED towns"--like Meridian Hills, etc.--however, these entities ARE legally part of Indianapolis and subject to all its laws).
kangaroo1 no está en línea  
Old May 27th, 2007, 03:55 AM   #749
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

Likes (Received): 5

I like the idea of a route up Binford from Downtown to Noblesville. There should also be a route running along US 40.
NaptownBoy no está en línea  
Old May 27th, 2007, 04:53 AM   #750
Unionstation13

the lightrail, wow, they seem to be progressing! With this so many people who cant afford oil anymore will pack into these things,
YAY MASS TRANSIT! This can help central Indy and the economy so much, not to mention reduce pollution, and the citys dependance on automobiles!
Old May 27th, 2007, 05:25 AM   #751
Paintrain

Likes (Received): 0

i agree you make it go hamilton county to downtown then airport then maybe even IMS
Paintrain no está en línea  
Old May 27th, 2007, 06:29 AM   #752
jobecob

Likes (Received): 46

The Woodfield proposal is so great and the 5000 seats theater is ROCK!!!
jobecob no está en línea  
Old May 27th, 2007, 09:23 AM   #753
thehoss257

Quote:
Originally Posted by unvrsty07 View Post
That woodfield Crossing project looks ******* amazing!!!
What are you talking about? It looks like a bad sci-fi movie! Somebody’s ridiculous vision of the year 2025.

It’s really just a conglomeration of bland, suburban office buildings and an indoor mall. It’s the same old suburban crap that we always get only this time, its on steroids.
thehoss257 no está en línea  
Old May 27th, 2007, 09:31 AM   #754
thehoss257

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaptownBoy View Post
I like the idea of a route up Binford from Downtown to Noblesville. There should also be a route running along US 40.
Both of those corridors have perfectly good, unused rail right-of-way that that make much more sense.
thehoss257 no está en línea  
Old May 27th, 2007, 06:01 PM   #755
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

Going up Binford would be a tragedy and a decision that would not surprise me based on the recent decisions by this City.

Binford is a suburban highway that happens to cut through the city. There are ABSOLUTELY NO opportunities for TOD and would do nothing to strengthen the surrounding neighborhoods. Keystone is the only choice in my book and would benefit that corridor greatly!
Old May 27th, 2007, 07:51 PM   #756
billionbucks
Colts Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilson758 View Post
The Woodfield Project does look cool. I am so surprised that this area hasn't had something like this proposed before now. I really see this as a potentially hotter condo/apartment market than downtown because land is cheaper and therefore they could make the units larger with amople parking!

I have long thought that the actual Keystone at The Crossing site would have had a condo tower proposed along the lake by now!

Hopefully not! That area is for people who want urban and suburban at the same time - and it doesn't work that way. I don't like the "mini-downtown" they have created over there. Have business come downtown instead of creating a new one on the north side, so the Carmel people don't have to drive too far.

I like the theatre proposal - Just hate that it is contributing to the northside downtown... the rich downtown.

Last edited by billionbucks; May 27th, 2007 at 08:01 PM.
billionbucks no está en línea  
Old May 27th, 2007, 08:08 PM   #757
billionbucks
Colts Fan

Urban Times has a spread about another downtown art project:
http://brookspublications.com/files/2007TREADPIX.pdf
Old May 27th, 2007, 08:20 PM   #758
Unionstation13

Quote:
Originally Posted by billionbucks View Post
Hopefully not! That area is for people who want urban and suburban at the same time - and it doesn't work that way. I don't like the "mini-downtown" they have created over there. Have business come downtown instead of creating a new one on the north side, so the Carmel people don't have to drive too far.

I like the theatre proposal - Just hate that it is contributing to the northside downtown... the rich downtown.
that downtown does not contribute to the city, it only encourages suburbian sprawl, it is nothing more than a mere obstacle in development, where the rich flee from the problems rather than trying to stay and fix them.
Old May 27th, 2007, 08:43 PM   #759
Unionstation13

the moving of the highschool into the old art school is great! I noticed they were doing stuff to the building, but I dident know they were turning it into a school. Thats fantastic that they are turning it into a highschool, while retaining the historic detailing of the structure, hell, my school wasent that good looking!
Old May 27th, 2007, 09:54 PM   #760
IndyBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by billionbucks View Post
Have business come downtown instead of creating a new one on the north side...
Absolutely. With all of the development that has happened downtown over the last 25 or so years, it still pains me to see all of the northside development. Think what downtown would be like if it had grabbed half of that development. What's even more amazing is that outside of public-driven downtown development, there has hardly been any significant market-driven development downtown in over 15 years. The only "private" development has been highly subsidized and not truly market-driven.
IndyBob no está en línea  

Closed Thread