daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old May 29th, 2007, 04:57 AM   #781
Paintrain

Likes (Received): 0

what about an HOV lane like Nashville has only in effect for only a few hours a day

also that on ramp from 70 east to 465 south it probaly the toughest i have ever seen when it 1st opened it seamed like there was a truck wreck like every week
Paintrain no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old May 29th, 2007, 05:07 AM   #782
arenn

Likes (Received): 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
what about an HOV lane like Nashville has only in effect for only a few hours a day

also that on ramp from 70 east to 465 south it probaly the toughest i have ever seen when it 1st opened it seamed like there was a truck wreck like every week
What I like about the Nashville HOV is that it is time of day restricted, only two hours during peak period in one direction only. I think Indy could and should do something similar if it eight laned spoke routes. I don't think HOV would work on a six lane route very well.

That ramp was poorly designed, plain and simple. Whenever there are a large number of accidents of a similar nature, such as truck rollovers in this case, the problem is design, even if technically all of the standard design criteria were met.
Old May 29th, 2007, 05:46 AM   #783
arenn

By the way, I don't know if anyone noticed this in the Sunday Star besides me, but one of the penthouse unit buyers at 757 Mass Ave. is Michael Andretti. I'm guessing this the profile of the type of buyer of many of the higher end downtown condos (i.e., wealthy, non-fulltime resident).
Old May 29th, 2007, 05:23 PM   #784
ragerunner1

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilson758 View Post
The Woodfield Project does look cool. I am so surprised that this area hasn't had something like this proposed before now. I really see this as a potentially hotter condo/apartment market than downtown because land is cheaper and therefore they could make the units larger with amople parking!

I have long thought that the actual Keystone at The Crossing site would have had a condo tower proposed along the lake by now!
I agree. I have been surprised that some developer has not densified Keystone at the Crossing and added residential to its mix. The Woodfield project looks great, and its a reuse of a strip shopping center and a large suburban parking lot.
ragerunner1 no está en línea  
Old May 29th, 2007, 05:36 PM   #785
unvrsty07

Likes (Received): 116

arenn, I have been in Michaels' condo, and sat in his $10,000 chair. 757 is a very nice building with very nice units in it. The top floor had two units but the person that bought it combined the two!! There aresomevery well known people that live in that building.

Has the retail opened in that building yet??
unvrsty07 no está en línea  
Old May 29th, 2007, 05:47 PM   #786
arenn

I toured a couple of the units in 757 as well and was very impressed - the prices are very high by Indianapolis standards, however.
Old May 29th, 2007, 06:09 PM   #787
unvrsty07

Likes (Received): 116

^ oh I was not on a tour...
unvrsty07 no está en línea  
Old May 29th, 2007, 06:26 PM   #788
ablerock

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by unvrsty07 View Post
^ oh I was not on a tour...
Somebody. Please. Gag. Me.
ablerock no está en línea  
Old May 29th, 2007, 06:39 PM   #789
thehoss257

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by arenn View Post
The vast majority of the Indianapolis freeway system has never been widened, or at least not since the 1960's. INDOT has even reconstructed much of I-465 as is, with no new capacity. Super-70, as much as I like the project and think it is a great approach, will not add any capacity, despite the fact that every planning document shows a need for an additional lane each way into downtown.
Arenn, You seem so eager to add capacity to our freeways. If we continue to add lanes to our freeways then it doesn't give us much reason to pursue transit. I agree, we should add capacity, but I think we should do it with transit. We have sufficient ridership forcasts for transit we simply need to get our act together and do it.

Besides, pursuing transit starts to build a pedestrian ecosystem. It focuses development instead of dispersing it. Adding capacity to our freeways makes it more conveinent for people to live further and further away from the center and diminishes the quality of life for those surrounding these automobile gutters.
thehoss257 no está en línea  
Old May 29th, 2007, 07:33 PM   #790
billionbucks
Colts Fan

Future of Hamilton County's mass transit promising and expensive

http://www.indianaeconomicdigest.net...rticleID=34234
Old May 29th, 2007, 07:40 PM   #791
billionbucks
Colts Fan

Check out this article from the Urban Times. It talks about 3Mass Ave's Green Roof and has a cool picture looking down on the project. Pretty Interesting. I couldn't figure out how to put the picture on here.

http://brookspublications.com/files/GREENROOF.pdf
Old May 29th, 2007, 10:39 PM   #792
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by billionbucks View Post
Future of Hamilton County's mass transit promising and expensive

http://www.indianaeconomicdigest.net...rticleID=34234

Christine Altman is a great proponent for mass-transit. She does an excellent job as the IRTC prez. She, along with Mayor Brainard really get it and if Hamilton County is on-board for a tax hike, Marion County will follow suit.

I too went on the downtown condo tour that went through 757 Mass Ave. We got so hammered!
Old May 29th, 2007, 10:51 PM   #793
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

here you go:

I really hope that this is the start of many more projects of similar size and density for the vacant lots along Mass Ave. There are about 5 lots that I can think of right now that really need to be developed. Especially the flat-iron lots at every intersection along Mass Ave!!
Old May 30th, 2007, 12:35 AM   #794
dsurfleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by arenn View Post
What I like about the Nashville HOV is that it is time of day restricted, only two hours during peak period in one direction only. I think Indy could and should do something similar if it eight laned spoke routes. I don't think HOV would work on a six lane route very well.
HOV lanes would be great on 465, the routes into downtown, and 69 in Hamilton County. I would love to see the counties pass laws like the SF Bay Area did where you can't expand a freeway unless an HOV lane is put in.

We don't have the congestion to make HOV lanes be 24x7. Make it 6-9 am and 4-7pm Mon-Fri and it would help out.
dsurfleet no está en línea  
Old May 30th, 2007, 12:36 AM   #795
cityfan

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilson758 View Post
I really hope that this is the start of many more projects of similar size and density for the vacant lots along Mass Ave. There are about 5 lots that I can think of right now that really need to be developed. Especially the flat-iron lots at every intersection along Mass Ave!!
Yeah those lots especially piss me off. They're on at least 3 major corners along Mass Ave and they really kill the street life. The worst corner is College & Mass Ave.

Speaking of which, any updates on IPS plans to sell the bus depot and relocate?
cityfan no está en línea  
Old May 30th, 2007, 12:56 AM   #796
Unionstation13

the corners on the avenues need to be filled, they are major urban oppurtunities for elegant structures, or an outdoor cafe. The one next to the old fire department needs filled, and the one across from the hammond block building desperatly, or the one across from the german huas, all these oppurtunities!!
Old May 30th, 2007, 01:20 AM   #797
Unionstation13

Quote:
Originally Posted by moochie View Post
Extensive ALTA survey work was done all day on the Penn Tower site today. Clearly this means the project is dead. <cough>
then why would they be doing survey work?
Old May 30th, 2007, 01:22 AM   #798
Unionstation13

Quote:
Originally Posted by moochie View Post
Dunno. I made the whole thing up anyway.
pan am plaza would make a nice outdoor cafe.
Old May 30th, 2007, 02:00 AM   #799
hoosier

Likes (Received): 53

arenn, once the west side 465 reconstruction is completed the entire westleg of I-465 will be 8-10 lanes. I-465 between I-70 and I-69 on the East side is already 8 lanes minimum. The southern leg of I-465 will need an additonal lane in each direction if I-69 is completed between indy and Evansville.

I agree that I-69 needs to be three lanes in each direction from I-465 to Anderson at the minimum.

However, parts of I-270 are only two lanes in each direction in Columbus and the same goes for I-275 in Cincinnati. I agree with you about Nashville.

I don't know where TNDOT gets the money, but the freeways around Nashville are superb.

I disagree with you about the ICC though. INDOT needs to maintain and upgrade Indiana's roads. In this era of climate change and high gas prices, new road construction should be discouraged.
hoosier no está en línea  
Old May 30th, 2007, 02:29 AM   #800
arenn

hoosier, there is only one small segment of I-270 that is four lanes - that's between South High St. and I-71 on the south side. The main weakness of I-270, and the Columbus freeway system in general IMO, is that ODOT assumed the vast bulk of traffic would exit at freeway-freeway interchanges, and had far too few through lanes at them. For example, I-270 goes down to four lanes underneath both I-70 interchanges. (This is the same mistake that was made in LA). It really shows up in the downtown inner loop, which is a debacle of a design - there is only one through lane at most points. All of the others are exit only lanes.

The west leg of I-275 is four lanes, but that passes through Indiana and some generally rural areas. I-275 is like 83 miles, by far the largest US beltway and over half again as large as I-465 in diameter. There's only one small segment of the east leg that is two lanes. Interestingly, none of I-74 is wider than four lanes in either Cincinnati or Indianapolis.

I don't think Indy is necessarily in horrible shape compared to everyplace. The principle weaknesses are the low end exterior spoke routes and INDOT's generally "do the minimum" attitude towards upgrades. The problem is that for a city selling the product Indianapolis is, as I said earlier, it needs a clearly superior freeway system. INDOT has plans on the table right now, which time will tell whether or not they are really built, but over the past 10-15 years it has done very little while other cities upgraded roads. It has been said around Indy that "we can't just keep adding lanes", but for the most part the state hasn't even started adding lanes. TDOT needs to be the model to be emulated here.

Closed Thread