daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old May 31st, 2007, 07:17 AM   #821
billionbucks
Colts Fan

Likes (Received): 0

$10M spent on Near-Eastside

Approximately $10 million in improvements in a Near Eastside neighborhood were announced today as part of the Great Indy Neighborhoods Initiative.

Approximately $5 million will be spent on new sidewalks, curbs and street resurfacing to be completed in three phases, beginning as soon as July.

The boundaries of the area are: north Massachusetts Avenue and 21st Street; south to the railroad tracks just of Washington Street, east to Emerson Avenue, and west to I-65.

As part of the neighborhood project, a redevelopment area and special financing district were created, allowed money from increased tax revenue being generated by redevelopment and improvements to be spent there.

Sponsored Links
Old May 31st, 2007, 07:20 AM   #822
thehoss257

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by arenn View Post
Keep in mind that the proposed cost of the rail transit system here is vastly higher than the entire ten year Major Moves program for the region.
Arenn,

We need to be smart about the kind of Transit system that we choose. Instead of choosing a 50-60 million a mile AGT system, or on-street light rail system, we should consider a hybrid regional rail system. This system would utilize existing rail right-of-way, diesel multiple unit trains and Union Station as a hub. This system could be built for 15 to 30 million a mile. These trains are like large buses on rail.

Here is a link to the Oceanside Escondido Sprinter line which I have been following since my intership at the MPO. This is exactly what we should do execpt with a TOD component.

Project Website:
http://www.gonctd.com/oerail/oerail.html

Train Description:
http://www.gonctd.com/oerail/sprinte...tsheet_806.pdf
thehoss257 no está en línea  
Old May 31st, 2007, 07:32 AM   #823
thehoss257

here is a video of the train going through testing before its opens to the public in December:

http://www.nctimes.com/movie/sprinter/viewerh.html
thehoss257 no está en línea  
Old May 31st, 2007, 05:38 PM   #824
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by billionbucks View Post
Approximately $10 million in improvements in a Near Eastside neighborhood were announced today as part of the Great Indy Neighborhoods Initiative.

Approximately $5 million will be spent on new sidewalks, curbs and street resurfacing to be completed in three phases, beginning as soon as July.

The boundaries of the area are: north Massachusetts Avenue and 21st Street; south to the railroad tracks just of Washington Street, east to Emerson Avenue, and west to I-65.

As part of the neighborhood project, a redevelopment area and special financing district were created, allowed money from increased tax revenue being generated by redevelopment and improvements to be spent there.

This is what I am talking about with regards to the City now focusing on its neighborhoods. Its amazing what new sidewalks, curbs, landscaping etc will do for an area. This should spur some new development and it really helps change a neighborhoods perception.

Since I work in community development/planning, I know what the City and its neighborhoods are doing and I believe that within 10 years, a real sense of place with regards to a number of the neighborhoods wihin the old city limits will be established/cultivated. We are only going to get better.
Old May 31st, 2007, 06:07 PM   #825
Unionstation13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilson758 View Post
This is what I am talking about with regards to the City now focusing on its neighborhoods. Its amazing what new sidewalks, curbs, landscaping etc will do for an area. This should spur some new development and it really helps change a neighborhoods perception.

Since I work in community development/planning, I know what the City and its neighborhoods are doing and I believe that within 10 years, a real sense of place with regards to a number of the neighborhoods wihin the old city limits will be established/cultivated. We are only going to get better.
My cousin lives in the near eastside, in a beautfiul batch of victorian era homes.
All intact with interior woodwork, just need a little love. These areas would make great neighborhoods for the city, and I was reading in the star, that if a neighborhood looks as if no one cares, crime is more than triple likely to happen there, do to criminals feeling more at home. Its called the broken glass affect I belive. I havent seen any central neighborhoods die, they just get better, more houses and structures are being renovated, and infill is going on like crazy it seems.
Old May 31st, 2007, 06:34 PM   #826
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

Look familiar?

This is the new convention center hotel in San Antonio. Although not identical, looks very similar to our new convention center hotel.

It will be exciting to see this though:
Old May 31st, 2007, 07:10 PM   #827
Unionstation13

hopefully the new marriott will atleast fill in the skyline, and spread downtown westward, like people claim it will, but its street level lacks highly. An outdoor cafe, and retail stores(along with some greenery) would really help, that part of downtown always feel very auto dependant, versus the walkable wholesale district.
Old May 31st, 2007, 08:43 PM   #828
Paintrain

also they need 2 get rid of that plant over by victory field
Paintrain no está en línea  
Old May 31st, 2007, 09:01 PM   #829
jtsnewo56

Hey all, long time lurker that first found out about this forum over at the horrible IndyStar boards. I've been reading for some time and really enjoy all of the insigt that is provided over here. As someone who "works" all over downtown I like learning about everything that is taking place.

As far as the plant, isn't that the steam plant that heats most of downtown? Don't see it going anywhere any time soon.

Has anyone had a chance to get out to the zoo to see the new oceans exhibit first hand? I'll be going out tomorrow to check it out.
jtsnewo56 no está en línea  
Old May 31st, 2007, 09:15 PM   #830
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

Likes (Received): 5

Not a chance of removing the IPALCO plant. Like someone mentioned earlier it heats and cools all of downtown. I think it actually looks kinda cool where it is, giving that part of town an "industrial" feel to it.
NaptownBoy no está en línea  
Old May 31st, 2007, 10:17 PM   #831
cityfan

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
also they need 2 get rid of that plant over by victory field
I agree with Naptown Boy. That factory adds character to downtown, especially since so many original downtown buildings have been torn down. It's nice to have a downtown with a mix, rather than all glass and steel.
cityfan no está en línea  
Old May 31st, 2007, 10:19 PM   #832
cityfan

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehoss257 View Post
here is a video of the train going through testing before its opens to the public in December:

http://www.nctimes.com/movie/sprinter/viewerh.html
I really like the way that looks. Imagine seeing that going down keystone
cityfan no está en línea  
Old May 31st, 2007, 10:57 PM   #833
unvrsty07

Likes (Received): 116

I wish they would update the facade to make it at least look attractive, like power wash that mo-fo or something!!
unvrsty07 no está en línea  
Old May 31st, 2007, 11:00 PM   #834
ablerock

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilson758 View Post
Look familiar?

This is the new convention center hotel in San Antonio. Although not identical, looks very similar to our new convention center hotel.

The night rendering makes it look much better, don't you think? It's slightly better than our JW, but that doesn't take much.

San Antonio's Grand Hyatt is ugly, but slightly interesting. Our JW is ugly and boring.

The renderings above (especially the first 4 floors) have more in common architecturally with Kosene's MSA proposal.

Last edited by ablerock; June 1st, 2007 at 12:18 AM.
ablerock no está en línea  
Old May 31st, 2007, 11:50 PM   #835
Unionstation13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityfan View Post
I agree with Naptown Boy. That factory adds character to downtown, especially since so many original downtown buildings have been torn down. It's nice to have a downtown with a mix, rather than all glass and steel.
I like that factory, the stacks could be painted like peppermints or something, but on one section, the facade is stone and brick, and very neat looking!
I think they should do more to make it more attractive, but demolishing it would only cuase problems.
As for many original structures being down, I have to agree, I was biking through wholesale, sourounded by an intact urban area of historic buildings and then under the railroads, past the slippery noodle, and where more original structures should be, it was endless parking lots =/
Old June 1st, 2007, 02:24 AM   #836
k2h

Likes (Received): 16

[/QUOTE]

Is anyone in the "know" about the political discussions relating to the MSA site redevelopment???

As we all know, the final selection will be determined more by politics, rather than the best development for the site.
k2h no está en línea  
Old June 1st, 2007, 02:50 AM   #837
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

Likes (Received): 5

I'm starting to have a change of heart about the Kosene proposal...it's looking better to me every day.

If those towers were 5-10 stories taller they would have a pretty big impact on our skyline.
NaptownBoy no está en línea  
Old June 1st, 2007, 02:51 AM   #838
brianskye

Downtown factory

That steam plant is not the sole producer of heat/steam generation for Indy's downtown. From Covanta Energy's website this is all about our waste to energy plant

"The Indianapolis Resource Recovery Facility began commercial operation in December 1988, serving the approximately 815,000 residents of the City of Indianapolis/Marion County. The facility can process 2,175 tons-per-day of solid waste that produce no less than 4,500 pounds of steam sold per ton. Citizens Gas purchases the steam to power the downtown heating loop. The loop includes nearly all downtown businesses, as well as Indiana University, Purdue University's Indianapolis campus, and Eli Lilly, the area's largest pharmaceutical manufacturer."

Honestly, the question of whether that plant downtown is necessary as a steam/heat manufacturer is quite debatable... but if it serves another purpose, that's great. In my opinion, I think the building should stay, no matter what. Old buildings like this one have enormous potential for redevelopment into residential units (and I don't just mean high-priced condos).

For more about our WTEP, check out their site: http://www.covantaenergy.com/facilit...dianapolis.asp
brianskye no está en línea  
Old June 1st, 2007, 03:06 AM   #839
Paintrain

is target interested in both proposals or just the one i think if its just the one that might come down to that one winning
Paintrain no está en línea  
Old June 1st, 2007, 05:07 AM   #840
unvrsty07

Likes (Received): 116

Mooch, is there any way you could provide a visual of the Banking arena center, cause I do not know what you are talking about, thanks.
unvrsty07 no está en línea  

Closed Thread