daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 1st, 2007, 05:41 AM   #841
unvrsty07

Likes (Received): 116

Thanks mooch. Now that I see that I absolutely love the Kosene proposal. If they had their currently proposed retail space in addition to that building being reused built, it will make for an amazing project that will completelty open up the eastside not only of dt but also outskirts of dt!! Fingers crossedfor Kosene... Can anyone remember the date of the announcement? I was thinking June but maybe it was July...
unvrsty07 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 1st, 2007, 05:53 AM   #842
IndyBob

Likes (Received): 0

FYI - The former Bank One Operations Center and parking garage are not part of the Mansur development.
IndyBob no está en línea  
Old June 1st, 2007, 05:56 AM   #843
IndyBob

Mayors Praise Block Grant to Reduce Global Warming

The United States Conference of Mayors, led by President and Trenton, NJ, mayor Douglas H. Palmer, praised Congressman Albert R. Wynn (MD) for introducing legislation that will help cities and states accelerate their energy efficiency efforts to reduce greenhouse gases in communities nationwide. The measure called the Energy and Environment Block Grant Act of 2007 (H.R. 2447), would establish a new block grant program, similar to HUD Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) program, that supplies formula-based grants to cities, counties, and states to help address the problem of global warming and energy dependence at the local and neighborhood level.

Full Story

Perhaps these block grants will be used to spur transit development.
IndyBob no está en línea  
Old June 1st, 2007, 06:05 AM   #844
unvrsty07

What about the parkinglot bordering E Court Street and Washington Street? Any news on that? Mooch, I did notice the bulding in the rendering you mentioned I just overlooked it because i thought there was a mid rise already there. If Kosene wins the bid, and really they should, they will have built a very nice residential neighborhood down Alabama with Market Square being the clincher.

Indianapolis could really use another apartment tower dt in the 350 foot range near the core either to the west or south of dt, I know the demand exists for apartments dt it is just a matter of some one building it.
Old June 1st, 2007, 06:40 AM   #845
unvrsty07

^ It would be nice to see Kosene win and Mansur come in and build their tower next to it on that lot anyways, wishful thinking but wth
Old June 1st, 2007, 06:43 AM   #846
unvrsty07

I think the "pocket park" is very complimentary to the cultural trail off of Alabama St. btw. I think it doesa very nice job of bringing everything together. It is a rather unique corner in the city because it is such a diverse corner.
Old June 1st, 2007, 08:19 AM   #847
billionbucks
Colts Fan

The Kosene proposal is the best - When exactly is the decision going to be made on this site?
Old June 1st, 2007, 04:05 PM   #848
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

I agree with IndyBob that the Kosene proposal should be forced onto the north lot, stacked on itself, and a 30+ story tower built. I mean, we have looked at a gravel lot for 7 years now, what is anouther 2 for the south lot?
Old June 1st, 2007, 04:48 PM   #849
arenn

Likes (Received): 132

I'm just catching up with the board. I'll talk about transit again later, but I just wanted to say that I think the East Side of Indy has great potential. It is probably the most undeservedly maligned part of town. I think part of the reason is the comparison between the booming west burbs in Hendricks county and the struggles on the far east side of Marion County.

The near and mid-east sides of Indy are great. There are neighborhoods like Irvington and Emerson Heights, enclaves like Woodruff Place, etc. I particularly think the streets in both of those last two, with their landscaped medians, are nice. 10th St. is probably the only legitimate traditional urban commercial corridor in Indy's otherwise nodal layout. Brookside Park and others are great. A lot of the built environment is intact. There is a lot of potential here.

Speaking of those medians, I've seen a lot of people call them "esplanades". That's not a commonly used word admittedly (the most famous use is probably the Boston Pops Esplanade Orchestra), but I've never seen it used to refer to landscaped roadway medians. And the dictionary definition doesn't suggest a usage of this type. I'm wondering is this is a genuine example of a local Indianapolis vernacular usage? What do you guys think?
Old June 1st, 2007, 04:49 PM   #850
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by moochie View Post
The "broken window syndrome" is very real. I've seen it happen. I've also seen it happen in reverse as well. One property owner fixes up his house, and neighboring property owners follow suit.. some out of shame, some motivated by pride.

What really hurts these neighborhoods most is absentee landlords. Rentals aren't necessarily a bad thing for a neighborhood, but they certainly can be. That's where the city could and should come in and force landlords to far higher standards. The city is definitely beginning to do this on the near eastside.. I can't get away with half the things I could get away with 5 years ago..

Those city zoning bastards seem to multiply like rabbits.. the odd thing is that the more work you put into a house, the more these zoning bastards will pester you... meanwhile, the property owners who let their rentals rot on the same block are seemingly ignored..

Yes, I say though, if you own a historic structure, and you maintain its signifigance, or you dont build some suburbian shit, or something that insults everything around you, then why have all these zoning people come in and bitch about how you arent doing something right? The near eastside seems to be in the spotlight right now for neighborhood revitilization. As for motivation, no one wants to have the house with the chipped pant and broken windows, or the unevenly set windows or rotting exterior woodwork, and live nextdoor to a beautiful kept home freshly painted and well taken care of, I think this sort of thing could easiely spread through the city.
Old June 1st, 2007, 05:21 PM   #851
Harpua

Likes (Received): 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by arenn View Post
I'm just catching up with the board. I'll talk about transit again later, but I just wanted to say that I think the East Side of Indy has great potential. It is probably the most undeservedly maligned part of town. I think part of the reason is the comparison between the booming west burbs in Hendricks county and the struggles on the far east side of Marion County.

The near and mid-east sides of Indy are great. There are neighborhoods like Irvington and Emerson Heights, enclaves like Woodruff Place, etc. I particularly think the streets in both of those last two, with their landscaped medians, are nice. 10th St. is probably the only legitimate traditional urban commercial corridor in Indy's otherwise nodal layout. Brookside Park and others are great. A lot of the built environment is intact. There is a lot of potential here.

Speaking of those medians, I've seen a lot of people call them "esplanades". That's not a commonly used word admittedly (the most famous use is probably the Boston Pops Esplanade Orchestra), but I've never seen it used to refer to landscaped roadway medians. And the dictionary definition doesn't suggest a usage of this type. I'm wondering is this is a genuine example of a local Indianapolis vernacular usage? What do you guys think?
I think you're friggin' nuts!
Harpua no está en línea  
Old June 1st, 2007, 05:39 PM   #852
arenn

Likes (Received): 132

I don't think it is technically incorrect usage, as a any piece of "level ground" probably qualifies, but I don't hear this term used to refer to medians anywhere else. Actually, it sounds kind of cool.

http://www.google.com/search?q=define%3Aesplanade

I think the key reason I think this is a more local usage is that a) these aren't along bodies of water and b) they aren't walkways.
Old June 1st, 2007, 06:20 PM   #853
cwilson758
Cory

I often use "esplanade" when referring to a landscpaed median.
Old June 1st, 2007, 07:01 PM   #854
benjaminooo
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 32

I think there is an apartment building called the "Esplanade" on Central or Penn.. Van Rooy maybe? I can't believe these people live in a median!

Last edited by benjaminooo; June 1st, 2007 at 07:08 PM.
benjaminooo no está en línea  
Old June 1st, 2007, 07:18 PM   #855
billionbucks
Colts Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by arenn View Post

The near east side is begining to boom and more push will make it explode - I'm excitied about it. Each time I go by Tech High School, there are more homes being flipped, It looks good.

I've heard plans of creating a median on Washington street in the Irvington Neighborhood where trees and flowers will planted along with better streetscape... but I haven't seen any official plans. Irvington is in a boom of its own. A new starbucks was just installed as well as a new bank under construction. Apartment buildings are also being rebuilt into higher priced living. The east side has great potential.
Old June 1st, 2007, 07:24 PM   #856
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by billionbucks View Post
The near east side is begining to boom and more push will make it explode - I'm excitied about it. Each time I go by Tech High School, there are more homes being flipped, It looks good.

I've heard plans of creating a median on Washington street in the Irvington Neighborhood where trees and flowers will planted along with better streetscape... but I haven't seen any official plans. Irvington is in a boom of its own. A new starbucks was just installed as well as a new bank under construction. Apartment buildings are also being rebuilt into higher priced living. The east side has great potential.
the near eastside has some of the finest late 19th century homes in the city.
I dont know if you would consider woodruff place the near eastside,
but it is going into a boom aswell, its an amazing neighborhood, and the renovations there seem to have spilled into the area around it.
Old June 1st, 2007, 08:15 PM   #857
cityfan

Likes (Received): 1

Speaking of the Near-Eastide, here's a great article in this week's InTake about revitalization and small retail projects going up:

http://www.intakeweekly.com/articles...-6781-160.html

It's a good read.

The Rivoli theatre they mention in the article desperately needs a renovation. I think that would be a great opportunity for investors to make it a new home for Key Cinemas (currently on S. Keystone). It would be a much more visible location and probably be more lucrative with its proxmity to downtown. Anways, that theatre is definately waiting to explode as a catalyst for development.

Last edited by cityfan; June 1st, 2007 at 08:27 PM.
cityfan no está en línea  
Old June 1st, 2007, 10:08 PM   #858
unvrsty07

I saw this image in a current article by InTake and I could not believe it was a picture of Indianapolis, it just looks sooo European!! Amazing!
Old June 1st, 2007, 11:02 PM   #859
cwilson758
Cory

Quote:
Originally Posted by unvrsty07 View Post

I saw this image in a current article by InTake and I could not believe it was a picture of Indianapolis, it just looks sooo European!! Amazing!

Isn't that off of Mass Ave somewhere near the Metro?
Old June 1st, 2007, 11:35 PM   #860
brianskye

Quote:
Originally Posted by billionbucks View Post

Even with homes being flipped, it's still not enough to really create more vibrancy in the near downtown neighborhoods of Indianapolis. Flipping homes is likely just to increase property values and overly beautify these areas. Not that anything is wrong with a pretty neighborhood, but instead what I think would be more appropriate is to see some of these areas, especially the near-east side, become more dense. Buildings that better fill their lots and stand higher than what's typically see in these areas. Density is really what these areas lack!

Closed Thread