daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 4th, 2007, 06:45 PM   #901
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

You are forgetting National City Center/Hyatt. That is an AWEFUL project that shouldn't take all of the land that it does.

Sponsored Links
Old June 4th, 2007, 07:32 PM   #902
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilson758 View Post
You are forgetting National City Center/Hyatt. That is an AWEFUL project that shouldn't take all of the land that it does.
You are right...that thing is an awful use of valuable land, is massive and has a bland facade too. Lump it in with the rest.

In fact, after looking at the buildings via Windows Live (check it out if you haven't already, it's pretty neat) I'll add a couple more to the awful list: that row of suburban hotels (Westin, Marriott, Courtyard Inn).

Landmark Center and 950 N Meridian should have been placed in the core instead of being isolated up there. Not only do they take up entire city blocks but they're surrounded by a sea of parking lots.

Last edited by NaptownBoy; June 4th, 2007 at 07:46 PM.
NaptownBoy no está en línea  
Old June 4th, 2007, 09:16 PM   #903
cityfan

Likes (Received): 1

I think the Conrad fits perfectly into the streetscape. Chase Tower also does a nice job by having street level retail without drastic setbacks. Also, although it could have been better, the new Simon headquarters at least made an effort by including a restaurant on the ground level.
cityfan no está en línea  
Old June 4th, 2007, 09:59 PM   #904
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilson758 View Post
the avenue and structures that stood there before gave alot of character to the wholesale district, and had street retail, one jewl was the lincholn hotel.
Destroying beautiful avenues seemed like a fad in the 60s-80s.
I mean honestly, this are original avenues from 1821 dumb****s! They should have atleast had the skyscrapers go over the avenues so they kept going, half of them shouldent have even been built in those locations.

Last edited by Unionstation13; June 4th, 2007 at 10:34 PM.
Unionstation13 no está en línea  
Old June 4th, 2007, 10:26 PM   #905
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Likes (Received): 14

For what it's worth the Barcelona Tapas on Delaware St is off to a good start. This afternoon's lunch crowd was impressive. Haven't been yet, I'll check it out after the newness dies off a bit.
Old June 4th, 2007, 10:31 PM   #906
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaptownBoy View Post
I agree that skyscrapers that take up an entire city block are detrimental but I would say that these aren't the rule by any means. I can only think of three that do this (Regions, OneAmerica, CCB) and these are all bland, older towers.

Now, I think that quite a few of our talls fit in very nicely with the streetscape:
300 North Meridian
Chase Tower
Conrad Hotel
Market Tower
First Indiana
"Gold" Building
I agree about the AUL's sprawl. Regions has that eyesore at the corner of Penn and New York that needs to go away. The remodel here is "scheduled" to start in earnest next week. A new look and 18" extra on all 4 sides. That amounts to an additional 4 sq feet per tenant space.
Old June 5th, 2007, 01:31 AM   #907
hoosier

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unionstation13 View Post
the avenue and structures that stood there before gave alot of character to the wholesale district, and had street retail, one jewl was the lincholn hotel.
Destroying beautiful avenues seemed like a fad in the 60s-80s.
I mean honestly, this are original avenues from 1821 dumb****s! They should have atleast had the skyscrapers go over the avenues so they kept going, half of them shouldent have even been built in those locations.
Are you talking about Kentucky Avenue that the National City Center/Hyatt was built over? The Convention Center and RCA Dome effectively eliminated any chance that Kentucky would go anywhere near the circle.
hoosier no está en línea  
Old June 5th, 2007, 04:09 AM   #908
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
Are you talking about Kentucky Avenue that the National City Center/Hyatt was built over? The Convention Center and RCA Dome effectively eliminated any chance that Kentucky would go anywhere near the circle.

I hoped that when the RCA dome was destroyed, they would restore a portion of the avenue. The Hyatt shouldent have ever been built, they can atleast build a three story ground lobby that goes all the way up to the sidewalks with an outdoor cafe or bandstand, becuase its honestly very bland and lacks street level.
Old June 5th, 2007, 04:27 AM   #909
IndiexInxIndy
Fuck The Bullshit!

Likes (Received): 0

Lovely Minds Think Alike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unionstation13 View Post
I hoped that when the RCA dome was destroyed, they would restore a portion of the avenue. The Hyatt shouldent have ever been built, they can atleast build a three story ground lobby that goes all the way up to the sidewalks with an outdoor cafe or bandstand, becuase its honestly very bland and lacks street level.
Honestly that would be a wondrous idea! Cause the "plaza effect" they tried to make with the open areas of the sidewalks are horrendous! I thought that the "plaza theory" died in the mid-to-late 60's? Anywaaay, a 3 story+ extension to the sidewalk on each side would work wonders! It reeeally would.....
Old June 5th, 2007, 05:02 AM   #910
hoosier

Likes (Received): 53

The zoning change needed for Riverplace was approved by the Fishers City Council earlier tonight.
hoosier no está en línea  
Old June 5th, 2007, 07:00 AM   #911
cityfan

I was scanning emporis and came across this project:

Emporis lists it as "Hilton Suites at the Faris Campus" (http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=...apolis-in-usa). The architectural firm listed on emporis has a few more renderings on their website: http://www.princealexander.com/proje.../stadiumHotel/

So I was wondering if you any of you privy to city planning information can give any insight to this project? It's listed on emporis as "vision" so is it even close to being a reality?
cityfan no está en línea  
Old June 5th, 2007, 08:56 AM   #912
billionbucks
Colts Fan

"Article on east side rejuvenation

http://www.intakeweekly.com/articles...-6781-160.html"

Very good article, thanks for posting
Old June 5th, 2007, 09:02 AM   #913
billionbucks
Colts Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityfan View Post

Emporis lists it as "Hilton Suites at the Faris Campus" (http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=...apolis-in-usa). The architectural firm listed on emporis has a few more renderings on their website: http://www.princealexander.com/proje.../stadiumHotel/

So I was wondering if you any of you privy to city planning information can give any insight to this project? It's listed on emporis as "vision" so is it even close to being a reality?
Oh wow, I've never seen this. It looks like it may be replacing an earlier proposal... I pray it is replacing:

(I forgot all about this project!!)

I found another shot of the project and it looks like it may infact be a new design for the same project. A BIG improvement!! (Although Its so weird half of the building is garage space. I guess it is needed in that area... and I suppose the Radisson is the same way) I cannot tell if there is much ground retail if any. Maybe only a lobby in a part of the bottom. Can't get a lot from the image.

Last edited by billionbucks; June 5th, 2007 at 09:15 AM.
billionbucks no está en línea  
Old June 5th, 2007, 09:05 AM   #914
billionbucks
Colts Fan

Does anyone know the status of this project? Another I forgot about, haven't heard any new news:

And speaking of mysterious projects... what the heck is this? Something really old? Something really new? this website has NO information... All this is called is "AUL Model"

http://www.princealexander.com/proje...Rise/aulModel/

Last edited by billionbucks; June 5th, 2007 at 09:23 AM.
billionbucks no está en línea  
Old June 5th, 2007, 04:06 PM   #915
cityfan

That Aul one has to be old. Land around the circle is already completely developped.
cityfan no está en línea  
Old June 5th, 2007, 04:10 PM   #916
cityfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by billionbucks View Post
Does anyone know the status of this project? Another I forgot about, haven't heard any new news:

Last time I went by that place, it looked like they hadn't started any work on renovating the building. I assume they're waiting for a certain amount of presales. Yet, their website (www.foliolofts.com) says 12 units have been sold or are reserved.
cityfan no está en línea  
Old June 5th, 2007, 04:20 PM   #917
cityfan

Similarly, here's a project right across the street from that Folio Lofts one at 25th and Central.

There's some more info on their website (www.lincolnparkplace.net). I first heard about this project about a year and a half ago, but haven't seen much done. Anyone know anything?

If those two projects get built, it'd create a nice corner at 25th & Central.
cityfan no está en línea  
Old June 5th, 2007, 04:25 PM   #918
ablerock

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by billionbucks View Post
And speaking of mysterious projects... what the heck is this? Something really old? Something really new? this website has NO information... All this is called is "AUL Model"

http://www.princealexander.com/proje...Rise/aulModel/

That's the block where the Conrad and Emmis Communications buildings are now. Those aren't going anywhere anytime soon. :-)

Last edited by ablerock; June 5th, 2007 at 04:33 PM.
ablerock no está en línea  
Old June 5th, 2007, 05:30 PM   #919
ablerock

Likes (Received): 29

I took some photos and video of this IPS building, the John Morton-Finney Center for Education Services, a few days ago. As of yesterday, the facade has been completely removed. Anyone know what's going on? I'm hoping they're replacing the concrete window slits with a curtain wall.

Drive-By Vid

ablerock no está en línea  
Old June 5th, 2007, 06:50 PM   #920
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityfan View Post

I quite like the redesign. Certainly reminds me of the Conrad, but this is a major improvement over that black thing! This is new as it incorporates a green roof. I really hope this gets built...the location is key, so I would suspect that it will. Let me get with my Emporis contact and find out what he knows...

Closed Thread