daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 5th, 2007, 06:51 PM   #921
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityfan View Post
Last time I went by that place, it looked like they hadn't started any work on renovating the building. I assume they're waiting for a certain amount of presales. Yet, their website (www.foliolofts.com) says 12 units have been sold or are reserved.
I just went past there this weekend and I have decided that this is never going to happen...along with Lincoln Park Place across the street.

Sponsored Links
Old June 5th, 2007, 07:05 PM   #922
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablerock View Post
I took some photos and video of this IPS building, the John Morton-Finney Center for Education Services, a few days ago. As of yesterday, the facade has been completely removed. Anyone know what's going on? I'm hoping they're replacing the concrete window slits with a curtain wall.

Drive-By Vid

egh I hope they also add a few restruants on street level, its a very bland concrete block. =/
Old June 5th, 2007, 07:25 PM   #923
cityfan

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by moochie View Post
I drove by there this past weekend, and was surprised it was ever considered.. I mean I'm all for it, but it just doesn't have any drive by appeal for buyers. This isn't San Francisco where lofts need to be built into every structure.. There are too many choices in Indy for success in that location imho.
Yeah I agree. Although it's in Fall Creek Place, most people are moving there because they want homes close to downtown. If they're looking for a loft or condo they're going to look 25 blocks south to Mass Ave. Who knows, maybe in 5 years or so there'll be enough demand. Fall Creek could definately use some infill at major intersections; there are almost no stores or shops these people can walk to.
cityfan no está en línea  
Old June 5th, 2007, 07:33 PM   #924
billionbucks
Colts Fan

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablerock View Post

I didn't even know they were working on this building - thanks for the post. I've spent a lot of time in that building over the years, and I always thought it was pretty ugly - Especially since they knocked out a beautiful old school to put it in. I'd like to to see more windows as well, althought I believe those levels covered by the wall was the parking garage (?)... and I'd assume they still need the parking space

I've found pieces about the much needed work being done at the IPS schools, but nothing about the offices...
http://www.facilities.ips.k12.in.us/....5_spreads.pdf

Last edited by billionbucks; June 5th, 2007 at 07:59 PM.
billionbucks no está en línea  
Old June 5th, 2007, 08:25 PM   #925
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

Here is some info on Stadium Hotel at the Ferris Campus:

"I know very little about this project, except that the design firm has had some iteration of a 15-20 story tower on their website for at least 2 years. I listed it as a 'vision' because there's been no formal announcement of a development at that site.

If you noticed, the firm's address is 21 West Merrill Street, and I do believe this proposal is for that same location. To me, that says that they're just shopping around a design trying to find a developer or investor that wants to move forward. By looking at their portfolio, I don't get a sense they have much experience with large projects like this.

I can't recall exactly the old version, but I think their treatment of parking for the podium is pretty terrible."
Old June 5th, 2007, 11:07 PM   #926
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unionstation13 View Post
if the city people where much more vocal, we probably would have more historic structures, including the MCC still standing.
Helena, what is the MCC? Sorry I'm not up on the lingo just yet.
Old June 5th, 2007, 11:14 PM   #927
arenn

Likes (Received): 132

MCC = Marion County Courthouse
Old June 5th, 2007, 11:29 PM   #928
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by arenn View Post
MCC = Marion County Courthouse
Ahh, I see said the blind man. Thanks!
Old June 5th, 2007, 11:44 PM   #929
IndiexInxIndy
Fuck The Bullshit!

What If....

WHAT IF someone went around downtown & free-lanced taking pictures of all the current or potential projects? So we can all see upclose & personal how awesome these projects can potentially be!! Just a thought ya know.
Old June 6th, 2007, 12:49 AM   #930
benjaminooo
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 32

This just made me sick to my stomach..

Cleveland is the 33rd largest city in the US and they have "The Rapid"
http://www.gcrta.org/pdf/maps/System_Map_Rapid.pdf

Indianapolis is the 12th largest city in the US and we have crap ass bus system and only the memory of a rail system.

How embarrassing!
benjaminooo no está en línea  
Old June 6th, 2007, 01:14 AM   #931
Powerslave

Regarding the new high-density proposals in Nora and Fishers, I have mixed feelings. It seems like the northside is trying to become another Schaumburg, which would be fine with me if downtown Indy was a lot more like Chicago. As it stands, I would much rather see the 20-story from the Woodfield proposal and the twin 25-stories from the Fishers proposal get built in downtown Indy. My concern is that the inclusion of these office towers are going to further raise the vacancy rate among all buildings, and if that's going to happen, why can't it happen downtown?

I'm just a bit frustrated about the lack of dense, high rise development downtown. That Faris proposal looks neat, but it's not that tall and it's a bit far from the core. The JW Marriot is a goddamn joke and I really don't even know why I'm wasting anymore thought typing about how much I hate it. While I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the Kosene & Kosene proposal, I truly believe that the city will choose the other one because of the Target and just because I have no more faith in this administration after the failure of OMS.

And then there's the mysterious Penn Tower, which, when all is said and done, will probably be no taller than 15 stories
Powerslave no está en línea  
Old June 6th, 2007, 02:55 AM   #932
cityfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslave View Post
Regarding the new high-density proposals in Nora and Fishers, I have mixed feelings. It seems like the northside is trying to become another Schaumburg, which would be fine with me if downtown Indy was a lot more like Chicago. As it stands, I would much rather see the 20-story from the Woodfield proposal and the twin 25-stories from the Fishers proposal get built in downtown Indy. My concern is that the inclusion of these office towers are going to further raise the vacancy rate among all buildings, and if that's going to happen, why can't it happen downtown?

I'm just a bit frustrated about the lack of dense, high rise development downtown. That Faris proposal looks neat, but it's not that tall and it's a bit far from the core. The JW Marriot is a goddamn joke and I really don't even know why I'm wasting anymore thought typing about how much I hate it. While I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the Kosene & Kosene proposal, I truly believe that the city will choose the other one because of the Target and just because I have no more faith in this administration after the failure of OMS.

And then there's the mysterious Penn Tower, which, when all is said and done, will probably be no taller than 15 stories
Have faith my friend. First if I read the proposal correctly, those 25 story towers in Fishers would be Hotel/Residential and some Office. Not solely office. Also, I'm pretty sure the towers proposed in the Woofield Crossing project will be mixed use as well, so they won't completely suck the life out of downtown. Actually, downtown's office vacancy rate is lowest in all parts of the city.

Also, that Target isn't tied to the Mansur proposal. A Target could still very easily be built on Washington St if the Kosene Project is picked. As for the Penn Tower, I don't really know what to say about that.

Lack of high rises aside, I think we should worry more about getting infill projects to create a seamless fabric of activity downtown. I mean, jesus, there's still a surface lot on South Meridian across from Nordstrom!
cityfan no está en línea  
Old June 6th, 2007, 03:44 AM   #933
cjfjapan

Likes (Received): 131

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminooo View Post
Cleveland is the 33rd largest city in the US and they have "The Rapid"
http://www.gcrta.org/pdf/maps/System_Map_Rapid.pdf

Indianapolis is the 12th largest city in the US and we have crap ass bus system and only the memory of a rail system.

How embarrassing!
Yes, but...Metro Cleveland is about twice the size of Metro Indy, and when Cleveland's rail system was built, it was one of the 10 largest cities in the country, and had almost a million people in the 1930s, 40s and 50s within the rather small city limits. Much like St. Louis, its urban core really cannot be compared to Indy.
cjfjapan no está en línea  
Old June 6th, 2007, 04:14 AM   #934
hoosier

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslave View Post

Don't worry about downtown. Here is just a sample of what is going on downtown:

1) the $675 MILLION state-of-the-art Lucas Oil Stadium

2) A massive expansion of the Indiana Convention Center starting in 2008

3) the 1500+ room, 300+ feet tall JW Marriott hotel complex

4) 3 Mass Ave- a 10 story condo project

5) A mid-rise at the old MSA site (could be two if the Kosene proposal is chosen)

6) The numerous construction projects at the IUPUI campus

7) The Cultural Trail

Indianapolis has spent so much money and time on improving its downtown, but now it is time for Indy to jettison itself into the major city status and one way that is done is to have its suburbs become higher density with mid/highrises of their own. Just about every major US city has more than one skyline and commercial district, so these massive suburban developments are a part of the growth of any city.
hoosier no está en línea  
Old June 6th, 2007, 04:29 AM   #935
hoosier

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilson758 View Post
Here is some info on Stadium Hotel at the Ferris Campus:

"I know very little about this project, except that the design firm has had some iteration of a 15-20 story tower on their website for at least 2 years. I listed it as a 'vision' because there's been no formal announcement of a development at that site.

If you noticed, the firm's address is 21 West Merrill Street, and I do believe this proposal is for that same location. To me, that says that they're just shopping around a design trying to find a developer or investor that wants to move forward. By looking at their portfolio, I don't get a sense they have much experience with large projects like this.

I can't recall exactly the old version, but I think their treatment of parking for the podium is pretty terrible."
So this project is quite a ways off I take it. Oh well....
hoosier no está en línea  
Old June 6th, 2007, 04:48 AM   #936
cityfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
So this project is quite a ways off I take it. Oh well....
Maybe, but hopefully not too far. There was an article in the Star about a month ago about how expensive land on the south side of Downtown is becoming as the Luke nears completion. I know there are developers that have some fairly large plans for development around the stadium.
cityfan no está en línea  
Old June 6th, 2007, 04:57 AM   #937
IndyBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityfan View Post
I was scanning emporis and came across this project:

Emporis lists it as "Hilton Suites at the Faris Campus" (http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=...apolis-in-usa). The architectural firm listed on emporis has a few more renderings on their website: http://www.princealexander.com/proje.../stadiumHotel/

So I was wondering if you any of you privy to city planning information can give any insight to this project? It's listed on emporis as "vision" so is it even close to being a reality?
The architect's offices are part of this site. If this were a serious proposal, the public woud have seen it in the IBJ and Star. They're probably capitalizing on LOS and trying to make the site look attractive to a buyer. The latest word I heard is that there is a land speculator buying property along Russell St., just south of the post office. I also heard that the project mentioned hear is being moved to McCarty St. (to a smaller lot!). I'm not sure why they list these types of projects on Emporis.
IndyBob no está en línea  
Old June 6th, 2007, 06:21 AM   #938
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobyhead View Post
Helena, what is the MCC? Sorry I'm not up on the lingo just yet.
the mcc-marion county courthouse,
what a beauty she was! Gracing the city for decades, untill some smartass city council members decided to bulldoze her for the garden of the hidiouse shit box we call the city county building.
Old June 6th, 2007, 06:37 AM   #939
Paintrain

why couldnt indy have kept the mcc and built the city county building nearby?
Paintrain no está en línea  
Old June 6th, 2007, 06:45 AM   #940
unvrsty07

Likes (Received): 116

I would really like to see that "vision" hotel built. I think it is very attractive and does a nice job of incorporating modern and classic, not to mention the green roof is fantastic! It is nice to see such tall and large projects beginning to pop up so far outside of the core!! Hopefully it will help to spread people over dt more, that is if it gets built...
unvrsty07 está en línea ahora  

Closed Thread