daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 6th, 2007, 03:15 PM   #941
benjaminooo
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjfjapan View Post
Yes, but...Metro Cleveland is about twice the size of Metro Indy, and when Cleveland's rail system was built, it was one of the 10 largest cities in the country, and had almost a million people in the 1930s, 40s and 50s within the rather small city limits. Much like St. Louis, its urban core really cannot be compared to Indy.
Very interesting! I appreciate the history lesson. The fact that Clevo has 4 pro sport teams (nba/mlb/nfl/nhl) is quite fascinating to me as well.

I did read the wikipedia entry and it definitely provided an insight on the city's "demise."

I guess I'm just envious of other city's amenities, especially when the city isn't on my short list of places I would ideally live in..
benjaminooo no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 6th, 2007, 03:37 PM   #942
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
why couldnt indy have kept the mcc and built the city county building nearby?
the city council found the MCC untasteful, not modern enough,
waste of time, and qouted as "an old relic of the victorian era"
even though the people wanted to keep it. It would have graced the city today, and the old neighborhood around it where the sea of parking lots are, would have not as been as bad.
Old June 6th, 2007, 04:51 PM   #943
ragerunner1

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminooo View Post
Very interesting! I appreciate the history lesson. The fact that Clevo has 4 pro sport teams (nba/mlb/nfl/nhl) is quite fascinating to me as well.

I did read the wikipedia entry and it definitely provided an insight on the city's "demise."

I guess I'm just envious of other city's amenities, especially when the city isn't on my short list of places I would ideally live in..
Cleveland doesn't have a NHL hockey team. Columbus is the only city in Ohio with an NHL hockey team.
ragerunner1 no está en línea  
Old June 6th, 2007, 06:17 PM   #944
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

Likes (Received): 5

It was my understanding talking to one of my professors that the city tore down the courthouse not because it was untasteful, but because it was way too small for a growing city like Indy and very expensive to renovate. At that time (1960), both city and county governments needed new buildings and it was more convenient and cheaper to house them in the same place, and thus the idea of merging governments was born.
NaptownBoy no está en línea  
Old June 6th, 2007, 06:29 PM   #945
arenn

Likes (Received): 132

There appears to have been some early 60's legislation (the Indiana Building Authority Act) that allowed cities and counties to establish building authorities and erect new structures in the 60's. I'm not sure if it allowed joint city-county buildings or not, but that's possible.

There's a plaque on the New Albany-Floyd County CCB that says it was the first new building erected under that act, in 1961. There are some Corinthian columns outside that building that I speculate are the remains of the old courthouse. I guess there was probably a mini-wave of courthouse demolitions in the 1960's resulting from this. At least the New Albany building, which I posted a picture of in the courthouse thread, is in a tasteful modern style. The modernist library building and federal building next to it make for a pretty cool like modernist oasis in downtown New Albany.

The MCC did not have to be demolished just because the CCB was built. The old Indianapolis city hall wasn't.
Old June 6th, 2007, 07:24 PM   #946
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

Anderson also saw the demolition of its beautiful Madison County Courthouse in the 1970's. The reasoning was because it was "falling down." The wrecking ball showed up and literally, bounced off of the structure and ended up costing much more money to tear it down that planned. The new courthouse is an ugly, glass and brick structure that is falling down and will undoubtedly, be demolished in the future.
Old June 6th, 2007, 07:34 PM   #947
cwilson758
Cory

Forum Meet...?

I know that we have discussed this before, but I really think that we need to set a date. There are a number of us...so many that I think we dominate the midwest section outside of Chicago! This speaks highly of our City as there has to be a correlation between interested persons to the amount development in your 'burg.

So, when are we going to do this? I would say this weekend as there are a number of festivals going on DT and we could "blend in," but I will be in Nashville thru Sunday.

How about Saturday June 30, or Saturday July 14th?
Old June 6th, 2007, 07:37 PM   #948
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilson758 View Post
Anderson also saw the demolition of its beautiful Madison County Courthouse in the 1970's. The reasoning was because it was "falling down." The wrecking ball showed up and literally, bounced off of the structure and ended up costing much more money to tear it down that planned. The new courthouse is an ugly, glass and brick structure that is falling down and will undoubtedly, be demolished in the future.
Anderson's situation reminds me of the one in Muncie. Delaware County had a very beautiful yet old courthouse (built in 1887) but it too was torn down for a bland concrete box that does not fit in at all with its surroundings.

This

was torn down to make way for this

Here's a website if anyone is interested and wants to read more.
Old June 6th, 2007, 07:54 PM   #949
cwilson758
Cory

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaptownBoy View Post
Anderson's situation reminds me of the one in Muncie. Delaware County had a very beautiful yet old courthouse (built in 1887) but it too was torn down for a bland concrete box that does not fit in at all with its surroundings.

This

was torn down to make way for this

Here's a website if anyone is interested and wants to read more.
WOW...that is FUGLY! It looks almost identical to the Fire Station on Mass Ave that kills all street activity along the Ave.

Looking for some ppics of the old Madison County Courthouse, I discovered that Hancock County (Greenfield, Cumberland, McCordsville, Fortville) used to be Madison COunty, but was ceeded in 1875.

I will find pics and post later...
Old June 6th, 2007, 07:55 PM   #950
arenn

I have a wedding on June 30th. I could do the 14th or the 7th of July though.

If we pick a date I'm available, I'll volunteer to buy lunch and a round of drinks for everybody at a downtown establishment to be named later.
Old June 6th, 2007, 07:58 PM   #951
arenn

A lot of the modernist courthouses are aweful, but at least based on that photo, I don't think the Delaware County one is half bad.
Old June 6th, 2007, 08:01 PM   #952
cwilson758
Cory

Here is the Amderson.Madison County Courthouse (before)

(after)
Old June 6th, 2007, 08:29 PM   #953
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by arenn View Post
A lot of the modernist courthouses are aweful, but at least based on that photo, I don't think the Delaware County one is half bad.
Are you serious? I've seen this thing in person. One of the sides of that building has a BLANK wall for Christ's sake. The plaza is an embarrassment.
image hosted on flickr
Old June 6th, 2007, 08:30 PM   #954
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

Quote:
Here is the Amderson.Madison County Courthouse (before)

(after)
Now THAT's awful. Brick and tinted glass don't go together at all.
Old June 6th, 2007, 08:32 PM   #955
k2h

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by arenn View Post
I have a wedding on June 30th. I could do the 14th or the 7th of July though.

If we pick a date I'm available, I'll volunteer to buy lunch and a round of drinks for everybody at a downtown establishment to be named later.
I am in town the 7th of July and am interested in meeting and taking a tour of the current/proposed development sites. If this works for everyone else, count me in.
k2h no está en línea  
Old June 6th, 2007, 09:20 PM   #956
billionbucks
Colts Fan

Likes (Received): 0

No, I'm going to school here in Muncie... The the Del. County Courthouse really IS that ugly. Sad
Old June 6th, 2007, 09:42 PM   #957
IndiexInxIndy
Fuck The Bullshit!

Likes (Received): 0

Uhm...

There's a forum for all this depressing discussion under "Indiana Courthouses". Thanks!
Old June 6th, 2007, 10:11 PM   #958
ablerock

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
I know that we have discussed this before, but I really think that we need to set a date. There are a number of us...so many that I think we dominate the midwest section outside of Chicago! This speaks highly of our City as there has to be a correlation between interested persons to the amount development in your 'burg.

So, when are we going to do this? I would say this weekend as there are a number of festivals going on DT and we could "blend in," but I will be in Nashville thru Sunday.

How about Saturday June 30, or Saturday July 14th?
July 14th or 7th is good for me. I've got some rendering treats to entice people to come too. :-)

By the way, off topic, the new BARcelona Tapas is great. I went there with some friends last night. It really helps that corner out.
ablerock no está en línea  
Old June 6th, 2007, 10:18 PM   #959
arenn

I actually strongly perfer the 7th of the two dates I mentioned.
Old June 6th, 2007, 10:50 PM   #960
cjfjapan

Likes (Received): 131

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminooo View Post

I know what you mean - Im moving to Toledo in a few weeks, and look forward to exploring Cleveland, Detroit, Toledo and, eventually Toronto and Buffalo. Those cities, and in some cases the whole metro areas - have really emptied out in the last 40 years, but were some of the wealthiest cities in the country during their day. Their institutional infrastructure, transit, bridges, museums are still amazing. Pittsburgh is another city that has managed to maintain its mass transit system, and according to an article I saw recently, nearly 20 percent of trips taken in the city are by bus or train. Can you imagine what Indy would be like with similar numbers? But again, Pittsburgh was a huge, dense city a hundred years ago, while Indy had room to spread out. Geography is destiny in a lot of ways.

Postscript - Cleveland did have an NHL team between 1976-1978 - the Cleveland Barons, formerly the California Golden Seals (of Oakland), who later merged with the Minnesota North Stars (now Dallas Stars).
cjfjapan no está en línea  

Closed Thread