daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old April 25th, 2007, 02:01 AM   #81
ablerock

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by moochie View Post
Okay, I'm very confused now. No one involved in the "Penn Tower" project has ever called it "Penn Tower".
I biffed. It's actually labeled Penn Plaza and Penn Centre. Sorry for the confusion.The same document has an image of Lauth's new proposal for MSA.

I'll follow the streams of info I'm privy to. I'm just as curious as you!
ablerock no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old April 25th, 2007, 02:20 AM   #82
k2h

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
I researched Pennsylvania street development, and came up with this new proposal! Is this perhaps what you're talking about Ablerock?

"Urban Space has planned a mixed use project at the block bounded by Meridian, South and Pennsylvania streets just south of the CSX line. They have hired Ratio and have preliminary drawings that show a building that could be 14-20 stories. Expect to see 1st floor retail, 3-4 levels of parking, a fitness center, boutique hotel and condominiums."
Nice find! Good to know Ratio has been hired as the design firm. I like their portfolio.
k2h no está en línea  
Old April 25th, 2007, 02:48 AM   #83
KM1410

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
I researched Pennsylvania street development, and came up with this new proposal! Is this perhaps what you're talking about Ablerock?

"Urban Space has planned a mixed use project at the block bounded by Meridian, South and Pennsylvania streets just south of the CSX line. They have hired Ratio and have preliminary drawings that show a building that could be 14-20 stories. Expect to see 1st floor retail, 3-4 levels of parking, a fitness center, boutique hotel and condominiums."
wow, nice find moochie. did you find that info on the web?
KM1410 no está en línea  
Old April 25th, 2007, 03:31 AM   #84
benjaminooo
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:

So that's the parking lot across the street (south st.) from Arby's and Subway? This makes me very hopeful that South St. will be very dense in the near future. I really want South St. take off and it should because of the Stadium. I would love to see the south side of south street tighten up and lose some of those parking lots.
benjaminooo no está en línea  
Old April 25th, 2007, 04:07 AM   #85
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

Isnt that green square where that old warehouse is? I could tolerate the Omega building(and I walked past it, its masonry and is just painted gray!)
but that warehouse= awesome. I would rather have those two buildings then a new tower and some other thing. Since they are in a histoircal district, how is the wholesale historical district group thingy feel about it? Nywayz.
I was looking at the rebuilding of landmarks in Dresden, and I thought how cool it would be if we rebuilt some of our lost landmarks(MCC, english hotel, thomlinson hall, etc) but our city has NO money for that, and they are gone for totally different reasons, but it would still be awesome.
Old April 25th, 2007, 04:14 AM   #86
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 463

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unionstation13 View Post
Isnt that green square where that old warehouse is?
I think you're talking about the Harness Factory Lofts, which are immediately to the left of the green square.

edit: check that, Harness Factory IS inside the green box. moochie, I assume you just mean the parking lot in front of the Harness Factory is going to be a low-rise retail/parking thing, right?
CorrND no está en línea  
Old April 25th, 2007, 04:58 AM   #87
ablerock

Quote:

I really think that Penn Plaza is what Ablerock has erroneously identified as Pennsylvania street Hotel & Condominiums.
I beg to differ! I most certainly did not erroneously identify! I wrote "Penn Tower OR Penn Plaza/Centre"

(i juz look at da purty pitchers an telz wut i c )

It is a Ratio-ish design. I like it.

...and you guys will too.

(Just to clarify, it looks nothing like the Lauth MSA proposal. It's far better.)

Moochie (good eye!), I can't confirm your suspicions yet. I'm trying to get more info as fast as I can. Hopefully I'll get a call back tomorrow.

Hope you're right and we get building at both locations on Penn. It really is a nice looking building.
Old April 25th, 2007, 05:02 AM   #88
k2h

It's good to see more development proposals in close proximity to Union Station. I would love to see Union Station utilized again for mass transit.
k2h no está en línea  
Old April 25th, 2007, 05:04 AM   #89
KM1410

This is whats going in where the green box is:

not sure if the design has changed. the renderings are pretty old.
KM1410 no está en línea  
Old April 25th, 2007, 05:04 AM   #90
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

Likes (Received): 5

Two projects? Great.

Edit: the 648 foot, 41 story tower was only a rumor. Never proposed.
NaptownBoy no está en línea  
Old April 25th, 2007, 05:13 AM   #91
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

What is this arch? Is it going to be like those fancy old arches that go over the streets in like European cities?
Old April 25th, 2007, 05:16 AM   #92
KM1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminooo View Post
So that's the parking lot across the street (south st.) from Arby's and Subway? This makes me very hopeful that South St. will be very dense in the near future. I really want South St. take off and it should because of the Stadium. I would love to see the south side of south street tighten up and lose some of those parking lots.
Theres also the Meridian Overlook project going in at South and Madison. The Indy downtown site has a completion date of the second quarter of 2008. Does anyone know if they have started construction on this?
KM1410 no está en línea  
Old April 25th, 2007, 05:35 AM   #93
Harpua

Likes (Received): 110

Does it seem to anyone else like we're reaching some sort of critical mass in development? I've been living here for six years now, and the Indy I knew when I moved here would not have been one to see surface lots converted into infill development. I think these proposals are fantastic in that they're really going to bring up the density in the downtown core without the "net effect" of tearing down something else of similar density. I realize that we've seen a lot of good infill in the neighborhoods, but the downtown core has never seemed to touch the surface lots. It definitely gives me a lot of hope for the view out of my office window. Maybe the north side of the building won't be prime real estate in a few years.
Harpua no está en línea  
Old April 25th, 2007, 05:39 AM   #94
Harpua

Likes (Received): 110

And I think the Lilly campus won't be so bad if it's surrounded by mid- and high-rises in 20 years. It just doesn't do very well right now, while it's standing out there on its own with its oceans of surface parking. I wonder if they'll take a cue from the surrounding development patterns and try to fit in more with its urban surroundings.
Harpua no está en línea  
Old April 25th, 2007, 07:15 AM   #95
indyfiend
INDYFIEND

Likes (Received): 0

2 highrise projects on Penn? I can't wait for the official word!!
indyfiend no está en línea  
Old April 25th, 2007, 07:38 AM   #96
k2h

Groundbreaking - Indianapolis Cultural Trail

Groundbreaking at 11 a.m. tomorrow

Be part of Indianapolis history and attend the groundbreaking ceremony of the Indianapolis Cultural Trail: A Legacy of Gene & Marilyn Glick. Join Mayor Bart Peterson, CICF President Brian Payne, and other city and civic leaders on Wednesday, April 25, at 11 a.m. at the corner of North and Alabama streets to commemorate the ceremonial start of construction for the 7.5-mile trail through downtown Indianapolis.

At Wednesday’s ceremonies, officials will also make announcements on fundraising efforts and public art selection.

Note: The previously scheduled Brown Bag on April 24 has been canceled. Your next chance to Brown Bag and hear the latest on the Cultural Trail is from noon to 1 p.m. on May 22 at the IRT, 140 W. Washington Street.
k2h no está en línea  
Old April 25th, 2007, 08:12 AM   #97
k2h

Lilly to extend cultural trail to headquarters

Wed, Apr 25 - 2007

Eli Lilly and Co. will pay to have the Indianapolis Cultural Trail extended to its corporate campus, the trail organization plans to announce today when it breaks ground on the first leg of the trail.

News of the trail extension and two major gifts will be rolled out during the 11 a.m. ground breaking at North and Alabama streets. The event signals the start of construction on the first stretch of the trail, a north-south segment along Alabama between North and Market streets.

When completed in 2009, the 7.5-mile bike and pedestrian trail will link six cultural districts downtown.

About $37 million of the $50 million cost has been raised. Included in the $37 million is $2 million contributed by the Margot L. and Robert S. Eccles Charitable Fund and $1 million contributed by the Eli Lilly and Co. Foundation. The Eccles and Lilly donations will be announced today. The largest gift, announced last fall, is $15 million from Gene and Marilyn Glick.

Today’s ceremony will also include the announcement of the first piece of public art commissioned for the trail.

Emily W. Kennerk, an Indianapolis native who operates artist studios in Broad Ripple and Chicago, has been contracted to create a “Marbles” sculpture along the trail’s east corridor. Most of the marbles, which are 4 feet and 7.9 feet tall, will be clustered at the intersection of Massachusetts Avenue, Alabama and Vermont streets.

http://www.ibj.com/
k2h no está en línea  
Old April 25th, 2007, 04:00 PM   #98
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

WOW! Indy is really turning the corner. I have really been expecting the "condo boom" to slow down, but it seems as if momentum is continuing, if not increasing. I had long hoped that all of the midrise and infill projects would give way to the flashy high-rises we see in other cities and it looks like it is happening!
Old April 25th, 2007, 04:59 PM   #99
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 463

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM1410 View Post
This is whats going in where the green box is:

not sure if the design has changed. the renderings are pretty old.
At one point, wasn't development of this site loosely tied to development on the SE corner of Meridian and Chesapeake St? Are they completely separated now?

Man, this area is hoppin! With that lot by the Claddagh also being developed, there's hardly anything left to fill in the Wholesale District. Exciting stuff!

EDIT: Here's what I was referring to above:

These are from the exact same place that KM1410 pulled those other renderings so they're pretty dated. Just curious of the other lot is in play or still up for grabs to other developers.

Last edited by CorrND; April 25th, 2007 at 09:24 PM.
CorrND no está en línea  
Old April 25th, 2007, 05:11 PM   #100
ablerock

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2h View Post
Wed, Apr 25 - 2007
Emily W. Kennerk, an Indianapolis native who operates artist studios in Broad Ripple and Chicago, has been contracted to create a “Marbles” sculpture along the trail’s east corridor. Most of the marbles, which are 4 feet and 7.9 feet tall, will be clustered at the intersection of Massachusetts Avenue, Alabama and Vermont streets.
Good for Emily! She's a friend of mine and a great artist. She also has a big solo show at the IMA this summer.

Closed Thread