daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 8th, 2007, 01:02 AM   #981
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiexInxIndy View Post
i dunno if i am. i've got this iffy feeling ya know.
same here, I'm not going mainly becuase I have to work, and plus egh, it sounds way too creepy.

Sponsored Links
Old June 8th, 2007, 01:04 AM   #982
Unionstation13

Quote:
Originally Posted by billionbucks View Post
I have a question about the 707 North East Street Condominiums

Are there any plans for the old church across the street? Is it being revitalized?
I have thought that too,
if they did they should rebuild the tower(like they did on the old fire dep)
it would make a great restoration, and is a beautiful building. the structures on the same block west of it are also quite nice. I would love for it to be renovated and rescued from the wrecking ball, I mean, it is after all in the chatham arch area, and we do wanna keep it up.
Old June 8th, 2007, 01:05 AM   #983
IndiexInxIndy
Fuck The Bullshit!

Likes (Received): 0

HaHaHa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unionstation13 View Post
same here, I'm not going mainly becuase I have to work, and plus egh, it sounds way too creepy.
i guess the ole' sayin' is true! Great minds DO think alike!
Old June 8th, 2007, 03:28 AM   #984
Indyman

Likes (Received): 4

lol Im younger than you IndiexInxIndy. Im only sixteen and from the Fort. I ll just keep my Indianapolis enthusiasim to long distance support.
Old June 8th, 2007, 03:47 AM   #985
hoosier

Likes (Received): 53

I am a relative newbie on this board but I will see if I can make it on the 7th. I planned on going to see my folks in Bloomington that weekend, but I don't have to.

UnionStation, Indiex, and Indyman, you don't need to worry about going to a forum meet. I am 22 and a good, moral, gentle guy. I won't let anything bad happen to you all.
hoosier no está en línea  
Old June 8th, 2007, 03:51 AM   #986
hoosier

Likes (Received): 53

Over the past year or so, there has been a lot of content on here about the progress Omaha and Des Moines have been making in terms of downtown development. These smaller Midwest cities have been building sports stadiums and expanding convention centers. Omaha has openly boasted about becoming a sports town a la Indy.

Do you think Omaha and Des Moines are trying to bite into Indy's success? Is the growth of these cities and Indy mutually exclusive?

Does Indy have any reason to worry?

Indy has a high metro growth rate and several big projects going on around the city so I would like to think not. Indy is still maturing itself!!
hoosier no está en línea  
Old June 8th, 2007, 04:47 AM   #987
Wu-Gambino

Likes (Received): 109

I don't think Indy has to worry about Des Moines for the same reasons Chicago doesn't have to worry about Indy. Maybe the "gap" between Des Moines/Omaha and Indy is smaller than the gap between Chicago and Indy, but both are in different leagues. I mean Indy is approaching 2 million, DM and Omaha don't even have 1 million in there metros. This isn't a diss to either DM or Omaha.

As for biting into success, I don't think so. They are simply doing what other cities are doing. Hell, Kansas City is doing the same thing as is Oklahoma City. The question is if it will pay off, frankly that is a bigger worry for those cities than it is us. We already have two downtown stadiums that have teams, a nice (and growing) convention center, and we have established a good reputation. The other cities need to hope for a team to come to them and attempt to attract conventions, etc.
Wu-Gambino no está en línea  
Old June 8th, 2007, 05:24 AM   #988
Unionstation13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
Over the past year or so, there has been a lot of content on here about the progress Omaha and Des Moines have been making in terms of downtown development. These smaller Midwest cities have been building sports stadiums and expanding convention centers. Omaha has openly boasted about becoming a sports town a la Indy.

Do you think Omaha and Des Moines are trying to bite into Indy's success? Is the growth of these cities and Indy mutually exclusive?

Indy has a high metro growth rate and several big projects going on around the city so I would like to think not. Indy is still maturing itself!!
Indianapolis is leaps ahead in history, development, urbanism, architecture, culture, etc, etc
its much larger, and more of a world city(sports events, indy 500)
rather than a regional city.
Old June 8th, 2007, 07:10 AM   #989
DMD_Landscape
Live from Downtown Indy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unionstation13 View Post
I'll go if Indybob goes, but I expect Dunkels at the Rathskeller.
DMD_Landscape no está en línea  
Old June 8th, 2007, 09:22 AM   #990
IndiexInxIndy
Fuck The Bullshit!

Broad Ripple News!

Fresh Market delayed but still a go June 7, 2007

Since crews finished clearing the old Atlas Supermarket site in March, the corner has been conspicuously quiet. The lack of construction work has helped fuel speculation that the deal for a Fresh Market is in jeopardy. The latest word is the project is still on, but the opening has been delayed. City planning officials flagged changes Fresh Market had made to the facade after its initial approval, requiring more administrative review, a city spokeswoman says. The city gave its final blessing on May 28. Fresh Market now plans to start construction in the fall and open in Spring 2008. The grocery store will be northeast of 54th Street and College Avenue.

Yet another "market" delay in the Circle City! Surprise, surprise.
Old June 8th, 2007, 03:33 PM   #991
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

Likes (Received): 5

'Curtain' to go up on Indiana Square
Star report
June 8, 2007

After months of planning, work is ready to begin next week on the installation of the new curtain wall at Indiana Square.

Indiana Square will look more like a modern glass high-rise office when its facelift is completed in 2009.

Horizontal beams will be attached to the existing vertical beams along the outside of the building, creating a sort of frame for new sheets of double-pane glass.

The new sleek skin will extend 18 inches from the current frame in some places. From the inside of the building, workers will take out the old windows and panels that comprise the existing exterior of the building.

They will insert panels to close the 18-inch gap between the old floor plates and the new windows.

Employees of the Indianapolis skyscraper received word Thursday that a section of the west surface parking lot will be closed and fencing and barriers put up.

They also received a timetable for its renovation from McKnight Property Management.

The Downtown office building was damaged by high winds a year ago. Construction is not expected to disrupt the work of attorneys and accountants inside the building or traffic on the streets around it.

The week of June 18, a crane will be placed on the lot and scaffolding will be lifted to the fifth-floor terrace for installation on the building at the northeast corner.

In early July, the first sections will arrive on site and be installed to cover the sixth, seventh and eighth floors. Considered a "test" area at this point, construction experts will make any necessary modifications.
NaptownBoy no está en línea  
Old June 8th, 2007, 03:41 PM   #992
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaptownBoy View Post
'Curtain' to go up on Indiana Square
Star report
June 8, 2007

After months of planning, work is ready to begin next week on the installation of the new curtain wall at Indiana Square.

Indiana Square will look more like a modern glass high-rise office when its facelift is completed in 2009.

Horizontal beams will be attached to the existing vertical beams along the outside of the building, creating a sort of frame for new sheets of double-pane glass.

The new sleek skin will extend 18 inches from the current frame in some places. From the inside of the building, workers will take out the old windows and panels that comprise the existing exterior of the building.

They will insert panels to close the 18-inch gap between the old floor plates and the new windows.

Employees of the Indianapolis skyscraper received word Thursday that a section of the west surface parking lot will be closed and fencing and barriers put up.

They also received a timetable for its renovation from McKnight Property Management.

The Downtown office building was damaged by high winds a year ago. Construction is not expected to disrupt the work of attorneys and accountants inside the building or traffic on the streets around it.

The week of June 18, a crane will be placed on the lot and scaffolding will be lifted to the fifth-floor terrace for installation on the building at the northeast corner.

In early July, the first sections will arrive on site and be installed to cover the sixth, seventh and eighth floors. Considered a "test" area at this point, construction experts will make any necessary modifications.
It's about F-ing time. They just finished core drilling in the basement mech room yesterday to see if the building has strong enough support for the added weight. Oh and it's the North surface lot. You think the Indy Star would get that right seeing how they are across the street from here. They are starting on the 6th floor because the offices on the 5th floor have huge sliding glass doors.

Last edited by mobyhead; June 8th, 2007 at 08:04 PM.
mobyhead no está en línea  
Old June 8th, 2007, 03:44 PM   #993
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post

I used to live in Omaha. Our weather is not as extreme, blizzards/tornados, so at least we have that going for us. Plus I never in my life saw a tumbleweed before I lived there.
Old June 8th, 2007, 05:03 PM   #994
bananaboi22

Here's the rendering of the new tower. They could have at LEAST upgraded the lobby.

bananaboi22 no está en línea  
Old June 8th, 2007, 07:22 PM   #995
billionbucks
Colts Fan

I wish they would release renderings of it at night.... Isn't it supposed to have some kind of cool lighting at the time? I think?
Old June 8th, 2007, 08:03 PM   #996
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by billionbucks View Post
I wish they would release renderings of it at night.... Isn't it supposed to have some kind of cool lighting at the time? I think?
My understanding is that there will be LED lighting across the top.
Old June 8th, 2007, 09:30 PM   #997
benjaminooo
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 32

Re: Calvary Church/School on Fletcher.

I just found this post on craigslist and thought it might be them.. I found it interesting.

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/wan/347551356.html

Hello! We are a small church located in the downtown area with a Christian school ministry that has been around for 33 years. The downtown area is growing, however, it is growing with condo's and business folk with no children. It is getting harder to reach the families wanting to send their children to a private christian school being located directly downtown. We would love to relocate. Our building is very old with many problems. We are willing to sell our building and land, (which is worth a fortune for condo's). We need land. If we sell our building, we can rebuild, however, that doesn't include the cost of land which is pricey. Whether your looking for commercial land (ours is already zoned) or looking to be benevolent and donate land to our cause, please contact us! We want our ministry to grow and give families a chance to introduce their children to a private education in a christian environment with loving teachers and small attentive classroom settings. Do you know of someone with land? Or do you know of someone interested in purchasing a downtown prime commercial real estate property? Please respond by returning this email. We'll answer any questions that you have or set up a meeting.
benjaminooo no está en línea  
Old June 8th, 2007, 09:36 PM   #998
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminooo View Post
Re: Calvary Church/School on Fletcher.

I just found this post on craigslist and thought it might be them.. I found it interesting.

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/wan/347551356.html

Hello! We are a small church located in the downtown area with a Christian school ministry that has been around for 33 years. The downtown area is growing, however, it is growing with condo's and business folk with no children. It is getting harder to reach the families wanting to send their children to a private christian school being located directly downtown. We would love to relocate. Our building is very old with many problems. We are willing to sell our building and land, (which is worth a fortune for condo's). We need land. If we sell our building, we can rebuild, however, that doesn't include the cost of land which is pricey. Whether your looking for commercial land (ours is already zoned) or looking to be benevolent and donate land to our cause, please contact us! We want our ministry to grow and give families a chance to introduce their children to a private education in a christian environment with loving teachers and small attentive classroom settings. Do you know of someone with land? Or do you know of someone interested in purchasing a downtown prime commercial real estate property? Please respond by returning this email. We'll answer any questions that you have or set up a meeting.
Sounds like one of the students there made this ad. I know they are moving into new digs at S Keystone and I-65 this August. In the renovated Cub Foods store. I live across the street from the new location. I do agree that it is a great location though.
Old June 8th, 2007, 10:01 PM   #999
benjaminooo
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobyhead View Post
Sounds like one of the students there made this ad. I know they are moving into new digs at S Keystone and I-65 this August. In the renovated Cub Foods store. I live across the street from the new location. I do agree that it is a great location though.
Not sure if the Cub foods location is JUST a church or if it includes the school as well.. I have a feeling the school will located elsewhere. It's too bad they couldn't embrace fountain square more.. I'm not sure if they were part of the community in the past, but since I've lived they have felt like alien visitors on Sundays and Wednesdays. They have a little patch of median at shelby and fletcher they apparently adopted to landscape and it looks like trash. I can't wait for KIB to move in and really spruce up the area/corner.

Last edited by benjaminooo; June 8th, 2007 at 10:18 PM.
benjaminooo no está en línea  
Old June 8th, 2007, 10:22 PM   #1000
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

[QUOTE=benjaminooo;13622704]Not sure if the Cub foods location is JUST a church or if it includes the school as well.QUOTE]
Here is the scoop from the IBJ...

There is a clear winner in the category of Most Surprising Reuse of a Former Cub Foods. Property Lines got a tour this morning of the new Calvary Christian School at I-65 and South Keystone Avenue. The $8-million transformation of the former grocery store includes dozens of classrooms, a giant library bathed in natural light and a gymnasium with two full basketball courts. The project saved only the slab and three walls from the old Cubs. It was designed by locally based Entheos Architects. The school is scheduled to open in August. There’s a rendering of the project here. Calvary Tabernacle also is planning a new church between the new school and I-65. Any thoughts on the new look?

Closed Thread